Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PH12 Centenary

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot PH12 Centenary

Old 08-08-20, 07:30 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Peugeot PH12 Centenary

I am intrigued by steel integrated aero bikes.
So I recently purchased my fist one, a Peugeot PH12 Centenary edition, not sure on model year.
I am not aware of any other integrated / aero steel bikes, besides track bikes, which I have no interest in.
My intent was to update the components to 11 speed and just mess with it like I usually do
After I collected the bike and wiped off the dust with a wet tissue (all I had with me in the car) I was very surprised at the condition the bike was in.

When I got home I went through an entire box of wet tissues and cleaned off the dust and little grime that was on the frame.
The chrome on the forks is mint.
​​​​​​Beside a couple of paint chips that caught some rust, it is incredibly original and almost in mint condition even the bar tape and pretty sure everything else, tyres as well.

I've been debating tearing it down, mainly because I don't own any tools necessary for removing these old components like the freewheel, cranks and bb.
Now I don't really want to mess with it as it's too good to break. I have ordered some tools just so I can service it but will keep it together.

I have never seen internally routed old handlebars before but this bike has them and it's really neat.

Aero shaped tubing simplex derailleurs, maillard hubs, mavic rims (I assume), CLB brakes, super custom cranks, simplex derailleurs, atax stem, original saddle in very good condition, aero water bottle and cage, brand new lapize straps and an interesting chain.
Worth keeping or hack away?
I'll do a bit of research on this model before I decide what I will do with it.

Likes For Schlafen:
Old 08-08-20, 07:35 AM
Schlafen

Some m

ore pictures
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 08-08-20, 02:35 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Very, very nice. Those were 1982 models and have unique serial numbers. The stamped number matches the paper sticker number.

Original bar tape was white pearl cello/Bennoto style. The one I owned had French headset threads with Swiss BB threads. Neither is a big deal as that bike has so few miles it’s unlikely either is bad.

Out of the box most shops didn’t adjust any beatings so I’d regrease and properly adjust everything.

Dont touch the derailleur cables as they’re a nightmare to replace. Tires are toast and will need replacing if you plan on riding it.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 08-08-20, 02:50 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
That is seriously nice.
Nothing else to say.
Old 08-08-20, 03:41 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Dont touch the derailleur cables as they’re a nightmare to replace. ...
Would it not be better to replace them now instead of waiting for one to break? True, they are more likely to break at the ends than in the middle, but I would want to fish the new ones through under controlled conditions instead of as an emergency repair.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-08-20, 03:58 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Thats the big 'catch -22' isnt it? If the sheaths slip out or into the tubes it extremely difficult to replace them. The cables are braided and difficult to find if originality's a concern. I'd take my chances. Looking over pics on a laptop versus my phone I see the serial number doesnt match the paper sticker and is machine stamped. Mine had a hand stamped number. No big deal.
Old 08-08-20, 04:16 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 213 Posts
Yeah that Peugeot is in incredible condition.

Grease, tires, and ride it.
Old 08-08-20, 04:35 PM
Schlafen

Very, very nice. Those were 1982 models and have unique serial numbers. The stamped number matches the paper sticker number.

Original bar tape was white pearl cello/Bennoto style. The one I owned had French headset threads with Swiss BB threads. Neither is a big deal as that bike has so few miles it’s unlikely either is bad.

Out of the box most shops didn’t adjust any beatings so I’d regrease and properly adjust everything.

Dont touch the derailleur cables as they’re a nightmare to replace. Tires are toast and will need replacing if you plan on riding it.
The grease seems to have come out of the freewheel bearings and wheel bearings, headset seems fine. Tyres need replacing definitely. I'm waiting on some tools (freewheel 2 prong spanner, crank puller and cone wrenches) to repack bearings before I take it for a test ride as I don't have tools for old stuff like this. Fortunately the cables don't need replacing. Freewheel, rear derailleur and chain need a deep clean as the grease on both has solidified somehow and it has chain suck, but they look unused, just dirty.

Handlebar tape is some sort of semi transparent pearly ribbon? Frame paint seems to be called 'mother of pearl' white.
Looked for a replacement bottle as I wouldn't use this one to drink out of and the cage is bottle specific, but couldn't find any. The saddle is terrible and the seatpost is very narrow, 25mm or so, weird size. Was hoping a 27.2mm carbon post I have lying around would fit, guess not.

The thin handlebars and quill stem make me somewhat nervous riding it, as my body type is not that of a lightweight climber, more like a 200lbs track sprinter.
Old 08-08-20, 04:42 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by John E
Would it not be better to replace them now instead of waiting for one to break? True, they are more likely to break at the ends than in the middle, but I would want to fish the new ones through under controlled conditions instead of as an emergency repair.
Thats the big 'catch -22' isnt it? If the sheaths slip out or into the tubes it extremely difficult to replace them. The cables are braided and difficult to find if originality's a concern. I'd take my chances. Looking over pics on a laptop versus my phone I see the serial number doesnt match the paper sticker and is machine stamped. Mine had a hand stamped number. No big deal.
Cables are easy to replace, it's not my first internally routed bike.
The trick is to tape the black sheaths to the frame before pulling the cables out.
Old 08-09-20, 12:49 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Is that a chromed fork? I don't remember the Centenary bikes to have such but I guess they do.
It's a nice touch on the bike by Peugeot.
Old 08-09-20, 02:46 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Wow, that's a nice find. The bike is in like new condition!
I've seen quite a few of these bikes for sale in the Netherlands and even bought one this year because I needed the rear derailleur from it. I sold the bike after fixing it. It came with a fully chromed fork as well so there is nothing strange about it.
The seat post is a 24mm JPR unit if I'm not mistaken. This has to do with Carbolite 103 tubing.
Old 08-09-20, 08:43 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
If the sheaths slip out or into the tubes it extremely difficult to replace them.
Shop vac sucking on one hole while feeding dental floss ito the other hole, use that to pull sheath back through.
Old 08-09-20, 10:18 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
You're right at the start of the aero brake/cabling era here- My Univega came with Nitto 55 bars and Dia-Compe Aero GC levers with aero cabling like that, though with conventional cable routing past the handlebars. Some of the first mainstream experiments with aerodynamic frames (teardrop steel, blade-shaped stays/forks) as well. Do you know what model handlebars that thing has?

That bike is gorgeous. 80s Peugeots are consistently underrated.

Originally Posted by Schlafen
Handlebar tape is some sort of semi transparent pearly ribbon? Frame paint seems to be called 'mother of pearl' white.
Looked for a replacement bottle as I wouldn't use this one to drink out of and the cage is bottle specific, but couldn't find any. The saddle is terrible and the seatpost is very narrow, 25mm or so, weird size. Was hoping a 27.2mm carbon post I have lying around would fit, guess not.
Benotto Cell-o-Tape, which despite being used by pro racers and club riders all through the 80s, might actually be a downgrade from not using tape at all. That tape makes the bike unrideable without gloves. It looks so cool, though, especially if you braid multiple colors of it together!

Last edited by sheddle; 08-09-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:43 PM
Schlafen

So, my tools order has been cancelled by the seller, for whatever reason, therefore I decided to do it the 'I don't have that tool' way, aka the dodgy way.

​​​​​Cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings. Done
Rear axle out, bearings out, lock ring off, freewheel body off and surprise! As miamijim stated above, adjustments were/are? off, seems the rear derailleur over shifted at some point, and the chain dropped onto the spokes damaging them.
All outer spokes, drive side, need to be replaced. Easy fix, Sapim spokes ordered.

Also ordered modern cartridge pads with holders, can't be bothered to look up a brake pad type that's been discontinued for decades. Hopefully they'll fit.
I'll hold onto the original pad holders to keep the brakes complete.
Will clamp the wheel in the vice tomorrow to remove the freewheel base and chuck all bits + chain, in my ultrasonic cleaner.
I'll try to match the cables currently on, visually at least and leaning towards Jagwire, as they have a clear outer cable option. No rush with that though.

Old 08-09-20, 07:12 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by sheddle
Do you know what model handlebars that thing has?
Atax - Philippe Franco
Old 08-10-20, 03:35 PM
Schlafen

While I'm waiting for bits to arrive, I did some research on this model.

Despite people claiming that this was a fairly mediocre bike because of tubing choice, it is apparent it's purpose was to celebrate a major milestone, 100 years, with french steel and french components.

Their line up used various steel tubing at this point and would have been a finger snap to choose premium tubing.

However, it may be the case where the premium tubing was hard to work with/too expensive, considering the design of the tube profiles used.
If carbolite is seamed tubing it would have been easier/cheaper to manufacture.

This is as far as I managed to get. If anyone knows more and would like to chip in, is more than welcome.
Old 08-22-20, 08:29 AM
Schlafen

Update.

Removed cranks and bb and after wiping off the old grease, to my amazement it's impeccable inside.
Only removed the cup with the lockring, as I don't have the right wrench to remove the drive side cup and didn't want to damage it. I've managed just fine without removing it.
Regreased and refitted the bb and cranks. These cranks would look brand new if even lightly polished.
Replaced the damaged spokes as well. 9 spokes in total.
Still waiting for the cable housings to arrive, also have some NOS Bennotto white textured Cell-o tape on it's way to me.
Horrible tape that is, but, tried to fit regular tape and it looks out of place, looks very bulky.

I'm not happy with how the hubs look, but not sure right now if I want to undertake such an endeavour, to strip the wheels and polish them as it is a big job. These vintage wheels have too many spokes 😁

Still debating if I should keep it or sell it. It's in too good of shape to keep. I know if I keep it, I will end up messing with it (that's why I bought it in the first place ) and it would be a shame to dismantle such a pristine example. It's a 54cm and seems to be extremely rare in this size. They only made this bike in 3 sizes 54/57/60cm.
But if I sell it I'll have to look for another one. Hmm decisions decisions...
I'll have to wait until it's done, get a valuation and decide then.

Old 08-22-20, 08:31 AM
Schlafen

As it sits now

Likes For Schlafen:
Old 09-01-20, 04:02 PM
PeugeotPH12

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work!

Admiring your work as I inherited such a Peugeot PH12 from my father, in good condition. Although frame size 57 or 60, a bit too big for me, I love riding the bike.
Do you know if the Michelin tyres are the original ones? And what tyres have you used now?

Last edited by PeugeotPH12; 09-01-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 05:27 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Bikeit UK did a resto on one of these a few years ago
In that shape as a anniversary edition I would be tempted to keep it as stock as possible but of course it is yours to do as you please with. Nice find.
Old 09-02-20, 02:34 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by PeugeotPH12
Admiring your work as I inherited such a Peugeot PH12 from my father, in good condition. Although frame size 57 or 60, a bit too big for me, I love riding the bike.
Do you know if the Michelin tyres are the original ones? And what tyres have you used now?
Thank you.
I actually measured it, 54cm seat tube x 57cm top tube. A tad stretched out but the shorter stem puts the contact points in the same place as my Giant.

Stuff done so far:
-wiped it down with wet wipes
-replaced damaged spokes and brake pads
-degreased/regreased hubs, freewheel, bb, headset, derailleurs and aero shifters (which are Suntour btw)
-removed cables, housings and bar tape. Not even given it a proper wash yet.

I have to tape the bars with the brake levers off, so the fossilized rubber hoods don't disintegrate when stretched. I have cables and housings ready for the horrible Benotto bar tape to arrive.

In total a whooping half day's work.

Tyres seem to be factory ones, still on for now. Found the pump that came with my bike, forgot about it and was rattling away in the boot. Noticed the pedals are 'ofmega' which sounds like something but doesn't mean anything. Apparently factory pedals and clips.

Weighed in at 10.35 kg without pedals. If I would go ahead with my initial plan, I bet I could end up with a final weight around the 7.5kg mark.
I've decided to restore it and keep it as original as possible. Sell it when done and grab another one I can hack away at. It's a survivor in pristine condition and someone else will appreciate it for what it is. I can't do that.
Would be a shame to part it out and end up at the scrappers, or even worse.. a fixie.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 09-02-20, 06:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
It's a lovely bike. I'm really surprised that the seat tube is a 54...the sticker says it's a 57 and it looks it. My '82 PBN10S is a 56 and measures out.
Swiss or French cups? At least you didn't have a Helicomatic rear hub.

Old 09-03-20, 03:22 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
A nice upgrade for this bike is to install Stronglight Delta needle bearing, aero style headset, to replace the heavy and out of place looking, original steel one on the bike.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-06-20, 03:11 PM
PeugeotPH12

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noticed the pedals are 'ofmega' which sounds like something but doesn't mean anything. Apparently factory pedals and clips.
Yes, same here, pedals are 'ofmega sintesi', which I'm 99.9% sure it's still the original ones. Shame the right pedal already broke, and the straps ('lapize' is printed on it, in a greyish-beige tone) are so stiff/inflexible that they are pretty useless now.

Weighed in at 10.35 kg without pedals. If I would go ahead with my initial plan, I bet I could end up with a final weight around the 7.5kg mark.
That sounds interesting. What is your plan, how you gonna achieve these -2.85 kg?

I've decided to restore it and keep it as original as possible. Sell it when done and grab another one I can hack away at. It's a survivor in pristine condition and someone else will appreciate it for what it is. I can't do that.
Would be a shame to part it out and end up at the scrappers, or even worse.. a fixie.
That's great if you gonna preserve it. Mine is in just OK condition, scratches here and there, chrome on the front fork is damaged.

Btw: Someone any idea where people still get these covers for the brake levers and the break levers itself? Mine are fine by now, but I'm kinda worried about the plastic might get damaged by time and sweat.
Old 09-06-20, 03:15 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by Chombi1
A nice upgrade for this bike is to install Stronglight Delta needle bearing, aero style headset, to replace the heavy and out of place looking, original steel one on the bike.
This bike will stay original.

I'm fully aware this is the C&V forum but besides steel frames and forks, vintage parts do nothing for me. Some vintage cranksets look stunning but any bb type older than hollowtech 2 is a deal breaker for me.
I prefer mechanical modern parts and the fact that all you need to work on/service modern bikes is a cassette/bb tool and a set of allen keys.

As far as headsets go, there's no contest: threadless sealed bearing headsets all the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.