Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton Electric Easy Wheels are different mount

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 09:56 AM
onevw

Bikes: Brompton Electric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my 2020 Brompton Electric the distance between the easy wheels mount is 110mm. The extender that I have seen have a distance of 116mm. So you can not use an easy wheel extender on a Brompton Electric??

I have seen people talking about the factory distance between the frames easy wheels mount varies from 113mm to 116mm. So it looks like this frame spec.is not build to close tolerance.

If someone knows of a easy wheel extender with a 110mm mounting distance please let me know.

Any other comment are very welcome.

RICK

Last edited by onevw; 10-04-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Extenders are aftermarket 3rd party, not factory.. telescopes out from right side where front wheel folds over and back..

My Non electric with the factory optional/accessory EZ wheel is 114.. to the outside of the mounted wheels them selves..

Not hitting them with my heels is a learned thing..
Old 01-09-21, 12:37 PM
jfinnert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onevw
On my 2020 Brompton Electric the distance between the easy wheels mount is 110mm. The extender that I have seen have a distance of 116mm. So you can not use an easy wheel extender on a Brompton Electric??

I have seen people talking about the factory distance between the frames easy wheels mount varies from 113mm to 116mm. So it looks like this frame spec.is not build to close tolerance.

If someone knows of a easy wheel extender with a 110mm mounting distance please let me know.

Any other comment are very welcome.

RICK
same problem here. perhaps a 3mm spacer on each side would work?
Old 01-09-21, 01:33 PM
onevw

Bikes: Brompton Electric

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello

Yes, I went to my local Ace store and found a box of special spacers in the nut and bolt area from Hillman.
I bought several sizes, then found a box of Grade 8 thick washers and bought several of these washes as well. I got all these as close as I could in the thickness I needed.

I had to use a combination of the 1 spacers and 1 washer to get it close.

The just used a piece of metal sanding paper on my table and removed some of the thickness of one of the washers by rubbing it back and forth till a got a fit with .001 gap.

Every Brompton will be different in the distance measurement because Brompton does not hold a tight tolerance in the area,

Rick
Old 01-09-21, 08:51 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by onevw
Hello

Yes, I went to my local Ace store and found a box of special spacers in the nut and bolt area from Hillman.

Every Brompton will be different in the distance measurement because Brompton does not hold a tight tolerance in the area,

Rick
MiniMODs X-roller uses different design to allow tolerance on ezwheel mount distance. Two tiny grub screws to fix the "ear".

But even so, the latest Brompton frame has shorten the mount than was expected (110mm).

A new revised X-roller production has addressed this issue by extra 2mm tolerance.

Adjustable "ears"