Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Old 02-01-22, 04:08 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
worried about getting rejected from the ride

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
mhespenheide has the right idea,
" . . . not really a "training plan", it's just what I try to do to keep myself sane."

Worried about clothes? Worried about lights? Go back to the above plan and go for a ride.
its costing a pretty penny to fly in, ship bikes, rent a van, a hotel stay, registration, so yeah i want to make sure i got my ducks in row.. however i appreciate the sentiment, i just don't want to be standing at the roadside waving a handkerchief as you all ride away.
Old 02-01-22, 04:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
its costing a pretty penny to fly in, ship bikes, rent a van, a hotel stay, registration, so yeah i want to make sure i got my ducks in row.. however i appreciate the sentiment, i just don't want to be standing at the roadside waving a handkerchief as you all ride away.
That won't happen, not really any ride police. Clipless pedals and brifters are the only really big no-no's.

Aside from that, you can ride the course anyway, its on public roads and the official ride trappings are not that stringent, necessary or required at the end of the day you can do what you want.

I never saw anyone get in trouble for anything and there were several that could have.

Do not hesitate or agonize over any of it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-01-22, 04:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Another thought: Ride the first leg down to Cayucos, all paved and no terrible hills. Cayucos has the killer breakfast style rest stop. Then bike back to Cambria and ride the short route (nobody calls it the Baby Route, BTW). That gives you more miles, you get to ride and hobknob with the folks riding the climbs, and you still can ride and pal around with those taking the shorter route. Win-Win!

Glad to hear you are coming, looking forward to meeting you.
I think we started calling that the @Andy_K Broke Eroica gambit when he proposed it a few years ago. Big fellas that can pound the flats but die on the hills would appreciate it. Most of the miles without many feet.
Old 02-01-22, 04:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Steel frame, derailleurs don't go click, shoes don't click into the pedals, you'll be fine. There'll be plenty of people there selling vintage kit if for some reason you get flagged. Post a pick of your bike and the peanut gallery here will either bless it or let you know what to do to pass muster.
Old 02-01-22, 05:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

anyway we will be flying in so advice from the old sweats..

1. Bring the bikes as checked baggage on the plane?
2. ship them ahead of time via bikeships or similar?
3. Do the hotels accept bikes if they are shipped in?
4. We have reserved a room at the Pelican Inn and Suites.

Thanks Gary
Are you flying into San Luis Obispo? From Louisiana that's at least one transfer. Some might be concerned about the bike getting lost for a few days. If you're renting a car in the Bay Area or LA and driving from there (3-4 hour drive from either direction, not too bad) and it's still a transfer, you could ship your bike to a FedEx facility with a couple of days to spare. They'll hold it for for free for a few days. @nlerner and @Spaghetti Legs did that in 2018, I picked the bikes up in an RV and we drove down together in the Magic Bus.

If you've got a direct flight and they don't charge an arm and a leg, I'd just take your bikes to the airport and check them in.
Old 02-01-22, 06:16 PM
Gary12000 

Peanut gallery

Originally Posted by gugie
Steel frame, derailleurs don't go click, shoes don't click into the pedals, you'll be fine. There'll be plenty of people there selling vintage kit if for some reason you get flagged. Post a pick of your bike and the peanut gallery here will either bless it or let you know what to do to pass muster.
the bike I think I’m ok.. both pre ‘87 not Brifters,
flat pedals on one and toeclips and straps on mine … downtube shifters on both …
Old 02-01-22, 06:18 PM
Gary12000 

Direct flight

Are you flying into San Luis Obispo? From Louisiana that's at least one transfer. Some might be concerned about the bike getting lost for a few days. If you're renting a car in the Bay Area or LA and driving from there (3-4 hour drive from either direction, not too bad) and it's still a transfer, you could ship your bike to a FedEx facility with a couple of days to spare. They'll hold it for for free for a few days. @nlerner and @Spaghetti Legs did that in 2018, I picked the bikes up in an RV and we drove down together in the Magic Bus.

If you've got a direct flight and they don't charge an arm and a leg, I'd just take your bikes to the airport and check them in.
Direct flight to SF… then drive in we will bring the bikes 🚲 n the plane
Old 02-01-22, 06:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

the bike I think I’m ok.. both pre ‘87 not Brifters,
flat pedals on one and toeclips and straps on mine … downtube shifters on both …

Direct flight to SF… then drive in we will bring the bikes 🚲 n the plane
I don't know if you can get a direct flight to San Jose, but that shaves a good hour off of the drive each way.
Old 02-01-22, 09:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Yeah, but SO many more flights in to SFO than SJ!
Old 02-02-22, 12:02 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Yeah, but SO many more flights in to SFO than SJ!
Yeah, and there are SO many more flights from PDX to Phoenix than Tucson, but then a fella has to know that you can fly direct from PDX to Tucson...figured @Gary12000 might not know the Bay Area or though of San Jose...and it's an hour closer to his destination.
Old 02-02-22, 06:45 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Hmm, I’m flying to SFO. Wonder how I’ll get to Cambria?
Old 02-02-22, 08:47 AM
rccardr 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Hmm, I’m flying to SFO. Wonder how I’ll get to Cambria?
May be able to help. Am flying in to SFO on Thursday and staying with friends in SJ Thursday night, then driving to Cambria on Friday lunch time-ish. Rental car is a minivan, proper size for three bike bags and four people.
My Friend Gary may take up one of those spaces, or he may try to hook up with Hugh out of LA.
John and Virginia may take up two of those spaces (with just one bike). So possible that, if you can get from SFO to SJ (train?) we can gather you up and toss everything in the van.
More to be revealed as people's plans solidify.
Old 02-02-22, 08:50 AM
nlerner

May be able to help. Am flying in to SFO on Thursday and staying with friends in SJ Thursday night, then driving to Cambria on Friday lunch time-ish. Rental car is a minivan, proper size for three bike bags and four people.
My Friend Gary may take up one of those spaces, or he may try to hook up with Hugh out of LA.
John and Virginia may take up two of those spaces (with just one bike). So possible that, if you can get from SFO to SJ (train?) we can gather you up and toss everything in the van.
More to be revealed as people's plans solidify.
Thanks, Doc. We can take this off-line!
Old 02-02-22, 10:26 AM
Gary12000 

Yeah, and there are SO many more flights from PDX to Phoenix than Tucson, but then a fella has to know that you can fly direct from PDX to Tucson...figured @Gary12000 might not know the Bay Area or though of San Jose...and it's an hour closer to his destination.
Currently were are looking at a direct flight from NOLA(MSY) to San Fran then renting something to drive in on Wednesday .. i will look at San Jose just to be certain but i'm always amazed we have any direct flights at all as MSY is such a small Airport, and since covid many direct flights are not running.
Old 02-02-22, 10:57 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Currently were are looking at a direct flight from NOLA(MSY) to San Fran then renting something to drive in on Wednesday .. i will look at San Jose just to be certain but i'm always amazed we have any direct flights at all as MSY is such a small Airport, and since covid many direct flights are not running.
Direct flight on the day and time you want it is most important.

BTW, I was flacking back at my buddy @rccardr as an inside joke. Doc, myself, and a few other BFer's are meeting up in Tucson mid-March for a week of riding in nice weather, and he was giving me grief for flying into Phoenix. The one flight into Tucson from PDX worked out for me so I changed plans, hoping San Jose can work for you, if all else being equal.

At any rate, I hope to get a chance to meet you at Eroica!
Old 02-04-22, 01:35 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
on another matter yikes woolly clothing is expensive.. and lace up shoes ... and and and ...
If you don't already have wool kit, there's now plenty of "replica" options on eBay. It's synthetic, but looks the part. Search "vintage cycling jersey" or "retro cycling jersey" and you'll see a ton of options. Pair it with blank black shorts and you're fine. Shoes can be an issue, but the Giro Republic and Dorica are good starter options (This link for the latter DHB shoes).

As gugie implies, Eroica CA is a lot more laid back than Eroica Italia. Worst-case scenario, you don't get the gift bag of schwag at the end of the day, but you're not going to get stopped from riding.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-04-22, 03:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have been to every Eroica California and the gift bag is handed out before you do the ride and no one ever checked my bike or my attire. It has been, in my observation, an honor system. In fact , the last Eroica in 2019 they allowed aero type brakes . I think the whole idea is the spirit of the event. Obviously , you would not show up with a Lycra type jersey on the latest carbon contraption , the rest is just common sense. It is about the bikes and riders of our younger days.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-05-22, 01:23 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
I went out on my first ride of 2022 on my full-on Eroica bike today. Most of the year, I run it with SPDs instead of clips and straps instead of SPDs. Only 11 miles, but with a significant climb to start and a significant descent to finish. It went . . . okay.

Within a quarter mile of starting out, I friction-shifted the chain into the Never-Never Land between the inner rear cog and the spokes - that was user error, easily corrected. Otherwise, readjusting to friction will went reasonably well - the Suntour power ratchet barcons and the Deore RD play very nicely together and it felt pretty natural pretty quickly.

The brakes are fine. I'm now running Universal 61s with KoolStop pads and using aero levers (basically Campy 10sp Ergos with the guts removed) and that set-up is more than adequate. This is a major improvement over Universal 51s, which are pretty much beyond redemption on any ride with a downhill steeper than 1% and only just barely acceptable on the flats.

But I was reminded why, except for Eroica (and Cino, if I ever get there), I have never looked back in the over 25 years since I went to SPDs. When I started out today, I thought "clips and straps just plain suck" and wondered how I ever functioned with them. In the summer of 1980, I rode across the US using clips, straps, and cleated Detto Pietros, so at one time I was pretty good with them. Now - not so much. By the end of the ride, I had calmed down to merely thinking clips and straps are annoying as heck. It will get better as I relearn the trick to spinning the pedals around just right to get the second foot in, but I will still wish for my spuds

I am signed up for the Piedro Blancas route, so it's not like I have to be ready for anything too epic, but it's good to start getting the feel for the bike. By the end of April, all will be well.
Old 02-05-22, 06:28 AM
nlerner

When I did CA Eroica in 2018 with clips and straps, I was reminded of why I went to spds. It wasn’t so much relearning the flip the pedal at low speed and insert your toe (never exactly easy with size 11 shoes), it’s that my feet just hurt a good deal of the time. For Cino last year, I went flat pedals with no toe clips. I plan to do that again for Eroica.
Old 02-05-22, 12:23 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have always ridden with traps and straps (that’s what I always called them) and I have never used any of the newer systems. Maybe that’s good as I don’t have to relearn the “flip”. I still sometimes mess up but never a problem usually get it without any hesitance. As was mentioned , I also am doing the PB route so no major stress anyway. Now going up a steep gravel climb where you have to bail out or something …….hmm! On my mountain bike I used to use just a flat pedal with skate shoes no straps and that worked best for off road riding.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-05-22, 12:42 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
For Cino last year, I went flat pedals with no toe clips. I plan to do that again for Eroica.
If you want to go with flats but retain the look, you can do what Tom Ritchey did at the 2019 Eroica...glue toeclips (minus the pedal attachment tab) to your shoes.
Likes For davester:
Old 02-06-22, 11:15 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
If you want to go with flats but retain the look, you can do what Tom Ritchey did at the 2019 Eroica...glue toeclips (minus the pedal attachment tab) to your shoes.
I rode next to Tom for a while in '19 (at the beginning of the ride; once warmed up, he dropped me like the hack that I am). I'm pretty darn sure he was riding SPD's under those glued-on clips and straps...

In fairness, Andy Hampsten was riding with us at that point and I know he was riding with clipless pedals. But then, when you win the Giro, you get to ride your old race bike and no one will call you out on it. Heh.

But there's no prohibition on riding with flat pedals, so if that's what you want to do, just go for it. No need to disguise flat pedals.
Old 02-06-22, 11:41 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Well with that kind of news I had to search for "Tom Ritchey 2019 Eroica" toe clips...
couldn't find any dirt, only this picture from Piedmont Velo Sports

Old 02-07-22, 11:08 AM
rccardr 

I’m sure you’re right, Matt. Chatted with TR at the Linn’s stop that year (in my memory it was 2017) and he was definitely ‘walking funny’ in those shoes with the cages glued to them.
Old 02-07-22, 03:56 PM
OldCoot

Bikes: 82 Univega Specialissima, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Wheelhouse, Rocky Mtn Thunderbolt, Viner Strada Bianca, ~73 Bob Jackson, ~75 Volkscycle Mark100.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 73 Posts
I like that plan of starting on down to Cayucos and then turning around and riding the Piedras Blancas route! Been struggling with the idea of the 70 miler given my time constraints to prepare..... Never enough time.... Kids at home, travel for work. Leaves big holes in my training schedule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.