Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on upgrading a vintage 1984 Panasonic DX-4000

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: What should I do with this bike?
New 8 speed cassette and wheelset is enough!
33.33%
Modernize!
56.67%
What are you doing? Find a NOS matching rim and re-lace original hubs!
10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on upgrading a vintage 1984 Panasonic DX-4000

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 07:51 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Microshift make silver 10s front and rear road derailleurs and Brifters with silver levers. You might have to hunt, or order at an LBS, but they are reasonably priced and reliable.
Old 02-24-22, 09:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by lordbikely
The closest group I found that would fit what I’m looking for is a Dura-Ace 7700 groupset updated with a 10 speed cassette and front derailleur.

I do have an interesting opportunity to sort of “middle-ground” it and get a slightly newer than stock Tri-color 600 groupset for $200, it doesn’t include brake levers, but does include the wheels which I could sell or repurpose. After buying some brifters, that would allow me to at least do a 2x8 drivetrain with modern shifting. Should I go for it, or save up for a full upgrade to 2x10?
I think the Dura Ace 7700 would be perfect as is. There is no point in trying to convert that to 10 speed. In fact the 10 speed shifters are kind of vague feeling. So much as that Shimano had to change the derailleur pull ratio later on with the 10 speed Tiagra 4700.
The classic tri-color 600 groupset is also an excellent choice which looks great and functions great. The 9 speed Ultegra 6500 is yet another great choice that doesn't look out of place on a classic frame.
Old 02-25-22, 06:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 732 Posts
Since you asked. I say go for 2x10.
That would probably push the build into a black RD, but everything else could be shiny. IMO, brifters are crossing the Rubicon anyway. 😉

BTW, there are some NOS Campy 10s cranksets out there for very good prices. Changed my plans for all silver.
Old 02-25-22, 12:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
If upgrading would increase riding or enjoyment, then do it. This bike is not an investment you make to reap a financial return on.

I've done resto-mods on most of my bikes. I like old frames and new components. I vote Modernize.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.