Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 07:41 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Looks fine? You questioned commuting on an all black bike. I commute regularly on that thing. Get your story straight, .

And I’ve survived plenty of loaded touring miles on rim brakes just fine, even after eating tarantula meat. You?
I suppose it's okay if you say so.
Old 04-24-22, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I suppose it's okay if you say so.
You suppose?

Your entertainment value is waning.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-24-22, 07:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I used to wear white shorts but gave up on it for obvious reasons.

My shorts is currently army green shorts in camouflage pattern. The camouflage shorts don't actually show stains even if it's not black. Ironically, the camouflage patterns also camouflage the stains. My bike and shirt is high visibility, high contrast highlighter yellow patterns though.
You wear hi-viz and camouflage together? Sounds counter productive.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-24-22, 08:30 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I used to wear white shorts but gave up on it for obvious reasons.

My shorts is currently army green shorts in camouflage pattern. The camouflage shorts don't actually show stains even if it's not black. Ironically, the camouflage patterns also camouflage the stains. My bike and shirt is high visibility, high contrast highlighter yellow patterns though.
Thanks for the info. I will try the camo.
Likes For frogman:
Old 04-24-22, 09:28 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You suppose?

Your entertainment value is waning.
Did not cross my mind I have entertainment value because every time I'm debating or arguing with anyone, I never get likes. Someone makes a so-so reply to my post and they get two rows of likes, my goodness!
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-24-22, 09:37 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
You wear hi-viz and camouflage together? Sounds counter productive.
If motorists might hit my camo shorts, they won't because they would see my high vis shirt and bike.
Old 04-24-22, 09:49 AM
indyfabz

Did not cross my mind I have entertainment value because every time I'm debating or arguing with anyone, I never get likes.
That's not uncommon with your type of trolling. At least you are getting the attention you obviously crave.

Time to update the iggy list and then take a ride on my all black bike with those deadly rim brakes.
Old 04-24-22, 09:51 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Black shorts give you a place to wipe your hands after a dropped chain or tire repair. Black shorts also worked better in the days of real leather saddles that got polish and oils to keep them alive.

But dark jerseys are mostly about style and sales. Sometimes bright comes into fashion. I try to buy up when that happens. Dark jerseys strike me as a death wish.
Agree and Im seeing lots more rainbow and tie die jerseys and shirts these days
Old 04-24-22, 12:47 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Since I don’t have a clue where the Katy trail is located I found the following locations for that trail name.
Dallas
Bunea Vista CA
Defiance, Mo
Jefferson City, Mo
Sorry, it’s the big state park rails-to-trails conversion that runs across Missouri, along the old MKT line.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-24-22, 04:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I never get likes. Someone makes a so-so reply to my post and they get two rows of likes, my goodness!
That should tell you something.

You ignore a lot of history when you doubt the effectiveness of rim brakes. I can see benefits of discs, but I see no point in spending a couple of $1000 for a bike that doesn't ride as well or fit me as well as my 1973 Reynolds 531 bike, especially since I don't ride in the rain very much at all.

You'll probably get likes if you show respect for experience or for posts that tell you, with backup, things you don't know.

Dark clothes don't make much sense to me, except that bright colors with patterns can disappear when the road is lined with trees and the day is sunny. Maybe it's just me, but when driving, I've sometimes had to look with real concentration at a small part of what's in front of me to distinguish between some bike riders and just patterns of shade and sun.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-24-22, 04:23 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It just doesn't look safe going on fully loaded tours on the mountains all weather with rim brakes.

I know people have done it for many years before disc brakes became common. But now we have safer option, why not use it?
Because it solves a non-existent problem while creating other bigger issues.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-24-22, 04:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Did not cross my mind I have entertainment value because every time I'm debating or arguing with anyone, I never get likes. Someone makes a so-so reply to my post and they get two rows of likes, my goodness!
Because you try to force your uninformed opinion too forcefully, which is not a good recipe. It seems that you are a novice. Many here have been many, many decades of experience and you treat us like we know nothing, so, "no soup for you"
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-24-22, 04:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm trying to be helpful here because I really think you're mystified why your posts are so disliked.
You don't "debate", you make assertions that indicate everyone but you is wrong about pretty much everything. When challenged on these assertions, you can't defend them, you just restate them and add even more ludicrous assertions.
And seriously, I don't wear black while riding, but I found your judgmental nonsense about people who do extremely annoying. You're an extreme case of someone who is always telling everyone who does anything different than you that they are doing it wrong, and you've included what they eat, what colors they wear, what kind of brakes they have, how they pedal, and pretty much their entire riding style as things you see fit to define for other people.

There's nothing wrong with telling people how you ride, you get in trouble when you start telling other people how they should ride, especially when they're not asking you.
​​
Old 04-24-22, 04:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Hey OP, after 5 pages have you decided on what color you're going to wear while cycling ???
Old 04-24-22, 05:14 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Hey OP, after 5 pages have you decided on what color you're going to wear while cycling ???
i doubt he has, they only sell the stuff in black it seems! 😅
Old 04-25-22, 07:12 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm trying to be helpful here because I really think you're mystified why your posts are so disliked.
You don't "debate", you make assertions that indicate everyone but you is wrong about pretty much everything. When challenged on these assertions, you can't defend them, you just restate them and add even more ludicrous assertions.
And seriously, I don't wear black while riding, but I found your judgmental nonsense about people who do extremely annoying. You're an extreme case of someone who is always telling everyone who does anything different than you that they are doing it wrong, and you've included what they eat, what colors they wear, what kind of brakes they have, how they pedal, and pretty much their entire riding style as things you see fit to define for other people.

There's nothing wrong with telling people how you ride, you get in trouble when you start telling other people how they should ride, especially when they're not asking you.
​​
Well, I just have to say that I've learned from him not to eat tarantulas. That's worth a lot.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-25-22, 07:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
All my kits are bright, not a fan of dark colors this was my latest custom design.
I am super curious to hear about why you have ZIPP2001 on your jersey, jacket, car tires, and username. Its a frame from a quarter century ago...not really something you see people plaster on clothing and tires. Did you help design the banned frame or something?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 07:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
You'll find all the new, very forgettable, junkfood-worthy, very popular but low brain cell movies is promoting the all-black get up.
It's the more "serious", more obsessed type of riders who put on all-black wear including the helmet, gloves on an all-black bike trying to look like pros. I have often seen motorcycles ran into them in the daylight and they get extremely angry when it happens. No kidding, you're wearing all black and riding right beside rows of trees casting dark shadows and dark green leaves. At the perfect, sun angle, you'll be invisible!
What on earth does your first comment about movies actually mean? Wearing all black is not something new- its been around for decades. Audrey Hepburn famously rocked all black. Beatnik stereotype clothing in my mind is black with a black beret. Gary Player feverishly walked golf courses in all black. I could pull pictures from the last 7 decades of fashion and pop culture to show how it isnt a new look and it definitely isnt associated with bad current movies.

As for your second comment- you have really often seen motorcycles that ran into a cyclist and then become angry? If someone sees that scenario more than once in their life it would be surprising, yet you often see it?
Old 04-25-22, 07:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, I just have to say that I've learned from him not to eat tarantulas. That's worth a lot.
Well, in case you change your mind, the photo alone is absolutely mouth-watering (I think that's water in my mouth, anyway):

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...pider-51184810

Myself, I'm working on a plant-based tarantula substitute. I'll keep you posted.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-22, 07:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What on earth does your first comment about movies actually mean? Wearing all black is not something new- its been around for decades. Audrey Hepburn famously rocked all black. Beatnik stereotype clothing in my mind is black with a black beret. Gary Player feverishly walked golf courses in all black. I could pull pictures from the last 7 decades of fashion and pop culture to show how it isnt a new look and it definitely isnt associated with bad current movies.
Johnny Cash even wrote a song about it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-22, 07:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, in case you change your mind, the photo alone is absolutely mouth-watering (I think that's water in my mouth, anyway):

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...pider-51184810

Myself, I'm working on a plant-based tarantula substitute. I'll keep you posted.
So I take it you are not an arachnid-tarian.
Old 04-25-22, 08:02 AM
indyfabz

Wearing all black is not something new- its been around for decades. Audrey Hepburn famously rocked all black.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-25-22, 08:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

As for your second comment- you have really often seen motorcycles that ran into a cyclist and then become angry? If someone sees that scenario more than once in their life it would be surprising, yet you often see it?
If that user isn't a sock for Cube, then they're at least from the same drawer.
Old 04-25-22, 08:26 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Maybe time to be more fashion forward - all white on an all black bike.

(Needs whit shoes and socks though for a pro-look.)
Old 04-25-22, 10:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I am super curious to hear about why you have ZIPP2001 on your jersey, jacket, car tires, and username. Its a frame from a quarter century ago...not really something you see people plaster on clothing and tires. Did you help design the banned frame or something?
+1. That's definitely going down the other side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.