Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-18-22, 11:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'm still alive, I've been racing almost every weekend to get my 3 upgrade. Yesterday I got 3rd in TNW's, which was a nice ego boost, especially since I've been getting my teeth kicked in at crits. I'm going to have to figure out how to get some faster separation speed, because my breaks haven't been working, at least on the flats (which, haven't worked for anyone else in those races either).
Welcome back and props on the racing.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-18-22, 01:15 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
I'm still alive, I've been racing almost every weekend to get my 3 upgrade. Yesterday I got 3rd in TNW's, which was a nice ego boost, especially since I've been getting my teeth kicked in at crits. I'm going to have to figure out how to get some faster separation speed, because my breaks haven't been working, at least on the flats (which, haven't worked for anyone else in those races either).
Good to hear from you FF! I'd really like to get my 2 before I hang em up, so I either need to appreciate the success (modest) I've had and leave it alone, or commit to a lot more races either this year or next. I'm 46, and feel as good as I ever have on the bike, and while getting points in a 3/4 is doable now, I know that window is closing.
Likes For Yep:
Old 05-18-22, 02:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Same, but with my 1. Would be really kewl to have that on my license. I tried like hell to get a break going in the 2/3 and M35/45+ races this weekend at Barrio, but nothing materialized. I did have a good groove going with another rider for a few laps in the 2/3, but then 5 bridged up to us and we just kinda fell apart, cooperation wise. I do have 10 points from this season already so we'll see. Not sure how much more USAC road racing I'll be doing this year so it may likely be next. There are opportunities the next few weekends but we are moving into our new home. Such is life.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-18-22, 02:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

After racing my ass off in the heat twice on Saturday and the early morning TT Sunday, I felt like total crap so I decided to skip track last night. Technically this is week 1 of a new block.

Yesterday I rode Epic KOM in Zwift at SST (~4.0 w/kg for 23 min) and felt really, really good actually, but listened to my head (instead of my heart) and took it easy the rest of the ride and today too. I will do another easy spin tomorrow morning and then madison practice at the track in th evening, which can be quite intense. Then hammering on Saturday and TT work Sunday. Should be back in the groove for next week.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-18-22 at 02:46 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-19-22, 10:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Power seems back to normal, which is quite nice. Did 1x30 at an honest but not eye watering pace last night and it was a few notches lower on the RPE scale than similar efforts over the winter. The worst part was I inhaled an untapped packet into my chest and nearly fell off my bike coughing 20 minutes into it :-|

I really want to race on Saturday but not sure I'll be able to. Just found out I have a job interview on Monday (woo!!!) but I should really make sure I'm prepared for it (boo!!!) and the race in question would eat up the entire day to get there, race, and drive home. Will decide by tonight. hubcyclist I know this is your race and I LOVE the course, hope I can make it make sense!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 05-19-22, 11:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
No worries man! you gotta take care of life too! As of now there are 19 in the 4/5 40+ field, would be nice to have more folks (the regular 4/5 field has 66 and might fill up!). I've been building this race up as one in which I might stand a decent chance of being highly competitive, so we'll see! One of the guys is a top 10 finisher at Mt. Washington, so definitely one to pay attention to and one other guy podiumed Hatfield but that was only 1sec and a bad sprint from me, so we'll see if I can be in the mix at least in the top 5. At least it's an early start before it gets to 97 degrees!
Old 05-20-22, 09:05 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tuesday: Fiesta TT bike. 3 x (12 minutes of 30”on/1’off). Very solid power (150%) on 3rd set. Maybe an all time record (total peak energy produced) for the last set for this workout.

Last night: Structured track workout at Carson Velodrome. Pursuit bike setup - 2x13 lap motor paced efforts Russian pursuit style and sprint bike setup - 2x5 team flying max laps with 3 laps recovery. 98 gear inches max cadence 124 max power 718.
Old 05-20-22, 09:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
All tapered for regional TT. Bike is ready. Only small complaint is couldn't find my rear wheel aero skewer. Found the front one.

Installed the pad foam, man that's more comfy. I had it bare carbon for testing so I could immediately access/change things while doing the Notio stuff.

It'll be warm so will warmup/wait for the 5 or 7min to go in the chiller vest.

Real goal of the day is a better time than last year.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-24-22, 09:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

GL BTS, let us know how it went
Old 05-24-22, 09:24 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

First Zwift ride in our new garage. 1.75 hrs total, cruising w B pace bot to warmup for 30 min, then a 35 km Innsnrucking race. Got detached on leg snapper climb 2 of 4. Finished 11th/71 overall 10/30ish As.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-24-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-24-22, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

furiousferret are u racing GMR hill climb?
Old 05-24-22, 02:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
furiousferret are u racing GMR hill climb?
Of course, its a few weeks after my Spain trip so I don't know how I'll do. We have a Sprinter van now with seating and a fridge inside, so be sure to stop by!

I'm going to talk to the promoter about the absurd 15-year age groups, I'm sure they did it for a good reason, but they should have just had an open group with that wide a spread.
Old 05-24-22, 02:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have a 70+ age group at GMR so please do not eliminate that. At Fiesta,our 70 group was the largest with 7 racers.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-25-22, 07:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Pretty sure I had an illness situation for that TT where I won but didn't PR and had crap power. I felt a tad off the day or so before and that day.

Yesterday did a 4mi run at lunch then did a mix in the evening of road and cyclocross laps. I mean, the power during that evening ride after a lunch run earlier in the day was not remotely the same as that day of the TT. Like, a lot better. Yes, the slacker stack cross bike vs TT bike. But still. Just felt strong AF in comparison, and the numbers corresponded. Like a great vo2 hill effort and a 30sec hit at 660w at the end of the ride. Power at what I would expect my 20min power is felt oddly almost comfortable.

So maybe it was illness.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-25-22, 09:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Pulled the plug on VO2 interval 3 (of 5) this morning. Legs felt a bit heavy starting from stops on the way down to the island, and didn't come around.

Looking back, I had threshold/VO2 + intensity and solid TSS on four of the last five days. Not sure what I was thinking, maybe in younger years. I think a better play would have been to swap today's workout with tomorrow's planned easy day.

I'm getting old! Can't just go out and hammer all the time lol. Gotta plan these things better. At least it was a lovely morning out today so I did thoroughly enjoy the z1 spin home.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-25-22, 10:10 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I probably had my best ride at Worlds. I couldn't keep up with the 3 Redlands Classic kids (whose combined age is close to mine) and was between them and about 10 riders. Solo'ed for 2 laps, and was caught by one guy at the end for 5th.

It's always a nice ego boost as I've been getting my teeth kicked in racing where everything is flat, or they combine the fields so much it negates my advantages. W/Kg doesn't do a lot in a crit when you're in the 130's.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-25-22, 11:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

W/Kg doesn't do a lot in a crit when you're in the 130's.
There's a big gap between the crit racers on my team and the triathlon/time trial/gravel racers about what constitutes "elevation" in a ride. Even though none of us are as small as you are.

Anything with more elevation than weeknight worlds, which has maybe 900 feet in 30 miles, and they just balk at doing it as a group ride.

In other words, they don't want to get dropped due to inferior w/kg. They excel at their game in crits and train and have the body type for that. I do time trial and cyclocross and maybe and odd duathlon here or there and set myself up for that stuff. More raw mass and raw power doesn't help much in the cross/duathlon front. There's some more "bro build" triathletes that do well, but bulk or mass running is simply slower. Period. Time trial, a balance of mass/power is needed but not ignoring the detriment of more mass affecting aero negatively through less ideal bike fits. So, my build is heavier than an ideal climber/fondo rider but definitely lighter than probably an ideal crit racer.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-27-22, 10:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Little 45min rain beater ride before work. Felt terrible. Looked at some uphill pieces with and against the wind and frankly this Stages left meter on the road bike needs to go in the garbage.

The new TCX pro 0 has a Quarq, the TT bike has a Quarq, and they agree. And both of those are within 1 to 3 watts of the Kickr.

The online calculators have the Stages at easily 20+ watts low when going slow enough up a steep enough little hill.

Just fed up forgetting this and then wondering why I'm such low power for a ride.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-27-22, 11:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tuesday track workout. Interesting Italian pursuit format with 3 other racers max flying one lap effort with an exchange.

Thursday, 30 on/30 off, Fiesta on time trial bike.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-28-22, 01:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

3 hrs total, an hour and change on Zwift with ~25' SST, then the "Chili's" group ride. A couple kinda good guys but no other hitters on the ride so I spent a large chunk of the ride attacking OTF and getting chased.

Tomorrow, 4.5 hrs of planned steady z2. Then resting on Memorial day.
Old 05-28-22, 01:43 PM
hubcyclist

my son got covid on sunday and diagnosed monday at the doctor (he had tested negative twice at home but had a not good sounding cough), and my wife tested positive wed. I'm either negative or asymptomatic, and I've been living in my basement lol Anyhow, I'm at 10hrs for the week, gonna do 3hrs z2 tomorrow to wrap up the week.
Old 05-29-22, 05:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Rest day tomorrow, so says TP due to the "you may wanna chill" notification.

I think I will!

But I am LOVING the TCX. I mean, it is pretty much the nicest Giant branded cross bike I could own excepting it's Force versus Red, but still. Loving the miles on it so far. So much more compliant and behaved feel. On 35mm Gravelkings it's pretty freaking fast on-road also. I may not ride the true roadie except for group rides anymore. It's fast and comfy.

I put some ENVE aero gravel/cross handlebars on it, feels even better now. The ergonomics of that bar versus the cheap included alloy is nice. I cannot fathom why for such a nice bike they put such a **** alloy bar on it from the factory.

Next up are some XT pedals to replace my old ones. Open to other cross cleat formats though if buying into new ones. Old ones are really really really worn the eff out.
Old 05-30-22, 11:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
my son got covid on sunday and diagnosed monday at the doctor (he had tested negative twice at home but had a not good sounding cough), and my wife tested positive wed. I'm either negative or asymptomatic, and I've been living in my basement lol Anyhow, I'm at 10hrs for the week, gonna do 3hrs z2 tomorrow to wrap up the week.
i tested positive for COVID about 10 days ago. I tried to quarantine you keep my wife from getting it but she did.

She has rebounded much better than me. I’m still very up and down. Mowing the lawn today nearly wore me out - and we have a self-propelled mower.

Good luck, and I hope you don’t get it.
Old 05-30-22, 12:53 PM
hubcyclist

so far, still negative, kid is at day 8 today and wife at day 5, so hopefully my basement living keeps working. just sucks because the holiday weekend is ruined, I did all 13hrs of riding in my basement. of course I do a lot of my stuff indoors, but I do look forward to the occasional epic weekend ride.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-31-22, 07:14 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
It's a weird one. I have Covid for the 2nd time now, and both times it's been like a moderately bad cold. Knock on wood, so far seemingly no lingering effects at all. I might get out for a steady ride today and hoping it'll be cleared up tomorrow (first symptoms Saturday, tomorrow is the following Wednesday).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.