Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Newb needs help with pannier and rack

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-06-22, 07:35 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I have a Diamond Hanjo gravel bike that I want to add a rack and panniers to. I bought a pair of used Arkel bikepacking panniers (28L, I think) on eBay, but the rack attachment is older than the style currently on their webpage. I'm waiting on their email reply. It seems that aluminum C-clip should spin 90deg to lock onto the top tube of the rack, right? There are so many styles of rear racks that I don't know if all panniers fit all racks, or if they have to be properly paired.

​​​​​​I also see racks made for disc or non-disc bikes, but my bike seems to have plenty of eyelets. Do I need to get a disc compatible rack, or do I not because I have eyelets?

And what about the front? I only see one eyelet. Maybe this is for something else like a water bottle cage and not a rack?

Last edited by pennpaul; 06-06-22 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 08:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
​​​​​​I also see racks made for disc or non-disc bikes, but my bike seems to have plenty of eyelets. Do I need to get a disc compatible rack, or do I not because I have eyelets?

And what about the front? I only see one eyelet. Maybe this is for something else like a water bottle cage and not a rack?
Some of the non-disc racks will likely fit your frame, possibly all of them. Many bikes with disc brakes had the brake unit mounted on the seatstay, not the chainstay like on yours. And the brake on a seatstay interfered with the rack installation. Your entire brake mechanism is below the seatstay.

I could not tell if there is another eyelet behind your through axle lever or not on your fork. Is there?

I have not used through axle, so I can't comment on whether or not that could be an issue with rack installation and use.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-06-22 at 08:36 AM. Reason: corrected reference to chainstay and seatstays
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-06-22, 09:21 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some of the non-disc racks will likely fit your frame, possibly all of them. Many bikes with disc brakes had the brake unit mounted on the seatstay, not the chainstay like on yours. And the brake on a seatstay interfered with the rack installation. Your entire brake mechanism is below the seatstay.

I could not tell if there is another eyelet behind your through axle lever or not on your fork. Is there?
There's no other eyelet behind the lever. It's just the 3 you see in the picture.

That makes sense about the disc-compatible racks now. I thought it was more something about how wide the rack was to accommodate the disc brake, not that the calipers were mounted in different locations. I didn't know that.
Old 06-06-22, 09:27 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Tourist in MSN was referring to eyelets on the dropout of the fork, not the rear dropouts. It sure looks like there is an eyelet behind the front TA lever.

I have mid-leg eyelets on my fork but they are nowhere near lining up to the holes on my lowrider rack when the lower mount is bolted to the eyelet on the fork dropout, so I have to use the U-bolt to clamp to the METAL fork leg, and this is not advisable on a carbon fork leg.
Old 06-06-22, 10:38 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Tourist in MSN was referring to eyelets on the dropout of the fork, not the rear dropouts. It sure looks like there is an eyelet behind the front TA lever.
Ah, duh. Yes, there is an eyelet behind the dropout of the fork (I completely missed that he said "fork"). There's no bolt like in the other spots, but a threaded hole. The bolt in the mid-fork can thread into this hole.
Old 06-06-22, 10:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by pennpaul
Ah, duh. Yes, there is an eyelet behind the dropout of the fork (I completely missed that he said "fork"). There's no bolt like in the other spots, but a threaded hole. The bolt in the mid-fork can thread into this hole.
Some racks may fit on front, but that might be a complicated issue too depending on how your through axle works. If that is a problem, you might be able to use one that uses an allen wrench instead of the lever.

Assuming you are successful and get racks on front and rear, please post photos later so others can see how you did it.

Through axles are quite common now, but most people are using older bikes, etc. Not a lot of experience yet with through axles and racks yet.
Old 06-06-22, 02:16 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
I have a set of similar Arkel panniers. The hooks go on the rail, then the block turns 90 degrees to push against the rail, preventing the pannier from bouncing up and unhooking. The bungee serves a similar purpose.
Likes For Yan:
Old 06-06-22, 06:05 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Yan
I have a set of similar Arkel panniers. The hooks go on the rail, then the block turns 90 degrees to push against the rail, preventing the pannier from bouncing up and unhooking. The bungee serves a similar purpose.
Thank you.
Old 06-07-22, 05:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
It looks as if you should be able to fit normal non disc specific racks on both front and rear if desired. Some of the rear disc models are for weird braze ons that are in a special more forward position. Avoid those models.

Your attachment hardware looks like it would fit most fairly generic racks as long as the diameter of the top rail fits in the hooks and it could be shimmed up if too loose. I don't think it requires any proprietary rail. See what Arkel says though.

I bet the lever on the through axle will be fine, but as has been mentioned, worst case you could probably fit an allen key one.
Old 06-07-22, 08:21 AM
pennpaul

How wide are most rear non-disc racks? I don't know how much width the disc adds and I don't have another bike to compare. My eyelets at the dropouts are about 7" apart. Is that what most people get? I could not find a drawing with dimensions on Blackburn or Topeak's websites.

I am thinking a standard non-disc rack will fit just fine but don't have any shops locally that carry them. I'm leaning towards one of the Topeak racks.

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-07-22, 10:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Almost all racks have some flex and almost all bikes are close to the same width in the back. Most standard hubs are 130mm or 135mm wide. So there is not a lot of variation in rack width. In other words, almost every rack you find will fit your bike.

There is more variation in width at the upper mounting points, but racks are usually designed to accommodate that variation.
Old 06-08-22, 06:17 PM
pennpaul

Assuming you are successful and get racks on front and rear, please post photos later so others can see how you did it.
Arkel and Topeak were very helpful. Arkel responded that the aluminum clip just rotates into place to lock and doesn't need a special rack. My rack clip can be upgraded to their new camlocks later if I want. They also took a look at my bike pics and suggested a couple racks including the Topeak Super Tourist.

Topeak also confirmed their non-disc racks would fit my bike.

I ordered the Topeak Super Tourist rack last night and when it's delivered, I'll post an update.

Paul
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 06-14-22, 09:01 PM
pennpaul

I received the rack (Topeak Super Tourist) today and mounted it loosely to share pictures. I will say the bike doesn't look so sporty anymore.

I didn't feel like fiddling with the quick release so I just used the upper mounting eyelet. I needed to spread the rack about 3/4" so it fit. It didn't feel extreme but the rack tubing is fairly beefy so the rack does fight you a little. My right heel brushes the pannier, but I should gain enough distance if I move to the lower eyelet.

I have a good initial impression of the rack. Since I already have eyelet bolts, I won't need to use the included stainless steel bolts. I paid a little more for the spring-loaded rack, but it's probably better without the panniers. The panniers' rail clip prevents the rack from rising up further than you see here (circled in red). The silver retention clip needs to be slid forward (yellow) to avoid the middle support--no biggie. Spinning that clip to lock in the bag is definitely going to wear away the paint on the rack, though. I'm guessing that was one reason Arkel moved to their new cam clamp.

It's going to be a few months before I actually get to use this setup, but I'm looking forward to it.

Paul
Old 06-14-22, 10:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Oh wow those are old school my Arkels I got 10 years ago and they had the current style of hooks. However pretty much any Arkel I have seen will last long amounts of time. I couldn't tell those are older panniers than mine aside from the mounting. They make really solid stuff so you did good on that front.
Old 06-15-22, 06:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

I have not used Arkel panniers, so this is a dumb question - but can you move the rack hooks fore and aft on that rail at the top of the pannier? That is how you fit Ortlieb panniers so that you have adequate but not excessive heel clearance. You can on most other panniers if they have a rail like that.

I use black nail polish to touch up wear spots on my black racks. Dollar Tree recently raised their price, now costs $1.25 plus sales tax. At that price, you can't beat it, the built in brush makes it easy to touch up when you feel a need. But do it outside in case you drip, better to drip on the ground than on the floor.
Old 06-15-22, 02:32 PM
pennpaul

I have not used Arkel panniers, so this is a dumb question - but can you move the rack hooks fore and aft on that rail at the top of the pannier? That is how you fit Ortlieb panniers so that you have adequate but not excessive heel clearance. You can on most other panniers if they have a rail like that.
Yes, they can be adjusted! Good idea. I'll have to check that out. Maybe once I stuff the bags and they puff out and aren't so flat against the bike, my heel won't touch.