Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2002 105 groupset--same as new?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-18-22, 11:14 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts

Of course I know it's rim & not disc brakes. Asking because a neighbor is selling his 2002 Alpe d'Huez. Too small for me. But it hasn't been ridden for 15 yrs so it's all like new. All 105 and I can most likely pick it up for cost of a used 105 groupset. My 2006 Reno is in great shape, no problems but doubt I'll be able to upgrade (if decide to) for any less $. So, is the 2002 groupset basically same as current (with diff of rim brakes of course)?
Old 06-18-22, 11:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
There are numerous changes. Go with contemporary 105 for rim brake. The short pull ratio of the prior generation 105 makes adjustment and operation problematic. Especially the 105 series from 10 years ago with the shift cables under the bar tape. Several years ago the 11 speed 105 got a longer pull ratio and shifting was vastly improved.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-18-22, 11:43 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Not the same at all. If the 105 is low mileage and in good condition, it is a good group and will likely last a long time. If you want to put dollars into it just because you want to, or for aesthetics, nothing wrong with that, but it costs dollars. And, in general, much more since the covid crisis began. I had a 2002 Poprad, originally Sora groupset, but it was switched to 6500 by the previous owner. That upgrade made a substantial difference, ergo, it made sense. I traded that for a 52 cm, mine was 55. Part of that trade was my putting on a Sora group that I had onto the 55cm, and put the 6500 onto the 2001 that I traded for. A huge difference between the two groups. With 105, going to Ultegra or Dura Ace, the difference will not be as pronounced, but, if going for a much newer group, definitely a difference.

I also have a 2003 Tourmalet that was in bad shape when I acquired it. I rebuilt it entirely, including stripping and powder coating, with a mix of 9 speed Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra. I lucked into a full 6600 group at a really good price, so I purchased it, and put it on the Tourmalet. The performance is much better, and much better looking. And the bike is about 2.5 lbs less, including a different wheel set. It is maybe my favorite bike to ride now. Not the best all around, but it is a sweet ride, and I do not regret putting the money into it. I am soon to be 70, so my upgrading anything is just about over.
Old 06-18-22, 12:10 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
@delbiker1 - I'm 71, and the Reno works great with no problems. Was just thinking if I ever need or get upgrade-itis that it might be nice to have good parts on hand. Think I'm slowly "talking" myself out of it. Wish that Alpe fit me--sure is nice!
Old 06-18-22, 12:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I've done a couple full 105 5800 groupset replacements on a few framesets. While I was very happy with the results, I only just barely came in lower than what I could have bought a brand new bike with Tiagra 4700 or possibly 105 with another few 100 bucks. I was very careful sourcing the parts too and got them at prices that rivaled anything Ribble or other UK distributers shipping to the US offered.

If you can't do everything yourself, then you might be well over the cost of a new bike. The other disadvantage is that being 105, my bikes weren't any lighter. If I could have afforded Ultegra or DuraAce, they might have been 3 or so pounds lighter. Maybe 5 lbs with a really good wheelset. And that amount of weight does make a difference in hilly areas for longer rides. IMO.

And if the bike doesn't fit you...
Old 06-18-22, 01:17 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
105 is the name of the groupset, not the specific models, and 105 as a line has been going for 40 years now, so the 2002 has nothing to do with a 2023 groupset, other than the name.

You need to look at the specific number of the group, from then will be 5500, current 105 is R7000.

A lot has changed since 2002, the number of speed, rear hub spec, underbar shifters BB spec, none/very little of this is the same/compatible between these generations.

That said, if it works, use it, the only issue you will have with spares for today a 2002 groupset are replacement bracket covers (the rubber hoods) everything else can be easily sourced/replaced by recent/current Claris or Sora parts
Likes For jimc101:
Old 06-18-22, 06:57 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Unless you have a specific love for the 2002 105 I recommend looking at selling it as some of those parts, if in great condition, can get some premium prices at the moment. Use the profit for something new and more current which you can still get replacement parts for.