Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did I buy a damaged fork? HELP!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did I buy a damaged fork? HELP!

Old 06-24-22, 09:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Safety concerns = have it checked out by a pro. Don't mess with your life.
Old 06-24-22, 10:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR I first thought this was a joke thread after seeing the first photo.
It might be deceptive but that photo makes it look like the tire might hit the downtube.
Old 06-26-22, 06:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
This is a good reason not to buy used carbon stuff you never know. Luckily you can get plenty of quality new carbon forks from Ritchey or Whisky or ENVE and just find someone who can paint it properly
Old 06-29-22, 12:19 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by rr99
Thank you guys very much for taking the time to discuss my issue. I'm 99% sure that the fork was damaged during the repainting process. But well, when its not meant to be, its not meant to be. It's pretty hard to find a matching fork like this one again though. I'll buy a regular carbon fork because I want to ride the bike this summer and pretend that I'm Mr. Lance Armstrong flying the Pyrenees in his prime time years at the Tour.

Thank you and stay healthy! 🙏
How could the fork get damaged like that in the painting process?

Regardless, why not just buy a good quality new fork that has the same approximate dimensions (rake, steer tube diameter, A-C length) and have it painted and get decals to match? Columbus has a wide variety of options and are not only good, but reasonably priced and light.
Old 06-29-22, 02:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by rr99
Thank you guys very much for taking the time to discuss my issue. I'm 99% sure that the fork was damaged during the repainting process. But well, when its not meant to be, its not meant to be. It's pretty hard to find a matching fork like this one again though. I'll buy a regular carbon fork because I want to ride the bike this summer and pretend that I'm Mr. Lance Armstrong flying the Pyrenees in his prime time years at the Tour.

Thank you and stay healthy! 🙏
Good plan. Something bad happened to that fork. And when bad things happen to a fork, it can be fatal for both you and the fork (but who cares about the fork at that point?). You can still get another fork (and probably a better one at that anyhow), paint it and install it. It may not be the authentic part but it will ride better, be safe and look great.