Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X: Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 09:47 AM
Reggo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poseidon X: Wheels

Hello! I'm new to the site and love the info that you as a group have to offer!

On the Poseidon website they said "Wheels are not tubeless compatible" for the X, has any one converted these wheels to tubeless?
Old 06-13-21, 01:01 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Following. Thought it was weird that the wheels are not tubeless compatible. Something about keeping costs down. How much would it have cost if Poseidon offered a tubeless set via an upgrade path? Maybe $200-$300 more? I’d pay that. Doesn’t make sense because now you’re saddled with a new gravel bike but worried about getting flats on the trails.
Old 06-13-21, 11:50 AM
Reggo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to order the Poseidon X with dropbar. I found that some people did convert using the stock wheel with a tubeless tire, so I moved forward with the purchase. New tires on ordered now!
Old 06-13-21, 01:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I didn't know that companies still made non-tubeless rims
Old 06-13-21, 01:53 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Originally Posted by Reggo
I decided to order the Poseidon X with dropbar. I found that some people did convert using the stock wheel with a tubeless tire, so I moved forward with the purchase. New tires on ordered now!
Keep us updated on converting to tubeless. I’ve had no luck with converting non tubeless rims even with tubeless compatible tires.
Old 06-13-21, 03:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The conversion can sometimes be accomplished but often it is unreliable. Tires will not seal or hold air for long, and beads can blow off when riding so be ware...
Old 06-15-21, 08:38 AM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I also ordered a dropbar Poseidon X a few months back and immediately converted it to tubeless by putting Spinergy GX32 wheels on it. I just don't have the energy to try and make something do what it wasn't designed to do, much less the desire to deal with it when it fails on me out on a ride. I wish you luck, but that's not an endeavor I think would be worth it.
Likes For OkFine:
Old 06-15-21, 09:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by dwmckee
The conversion can sometimes be accomplished but often it is unreliable. Tires will not seal or hold air for long, and beads can blow off when riding so be ware...
Stan's has an office near here, and one of the employees used to come on the weekly gravel ride. One such ride featured an extensive rant by him about the dangers of tubeless on non-tubeless rims/tires. Which I generally agree with. But the funny part of it is that Stan's made their start by selling kits to do just that, running tubeless on equipment that wasn't made for it. So it's partially their fault.

I would like to see the bed of the rim the OP wants to run tubeless. If it has ridges on the bead seat, I think it will work tubeless. But I wouldn't try it without tubeless tires. I suspect that the tires posiden used aren't tubeless ready. Or maybe it's just because they didn't tape the rim, who knows?
Old 06-15-21, 09:52 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
How much would it have cost if Poseidon offered a tubeless set via an upgrade path? Maybe $200-$300 more?
For not much more you could just buy a cheap alloy tubeless wheelset that will likely be far superior to whatever stock wheels they're willing to spec on that bike.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...-disc-wheelset

Also worth noting that the tires that come on that Poseidon are not tubeless ready either, so some additional investment would be needed.
Old 06-15-21, 04:40 PM
Wilbur76

Originally Posted by msu2001la
For not much more you could just buy a cheap alloy tubeless wheelset that will likely be far superior to whatever stock wheels they're willing to spec on that bike.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...-disc-wheelset

Also worth noting that the tires that come on that Poseidon are not tubeless ready either, so some additional investment would be needed.
Upgrade path should still be cheaper since the cost of the original non-tubeless wheels is already built into the cost of the bike. You’d only be paying the difference to upgrade. That’s at least what some other manufacturers are doing.
Old 06-15-21, 08:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think it might have cost them $10, if that. That kind of company has to cut corners though.
Old 06-15-21, 08:43 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Following. Thought it was weird that the wheels are not tubeless compatible. Something about keeping costs down. How much would it have cost if Poseidon offered a tubeless set via an upgrade path? Maybe $200-$300 more? I’d pay that. Doesn’t make sense because now you’re saddled with a new gravel bike but worried about getting flats on the trails.
For 300 I could build a nicer set of tubeless wheels then the bike would come with.
The Poseidons are really all about getting people on a basic bike and riding, they accomplish that, but the first thing to go on my redwood was the wheels and tires. Dropped 4lbs off without even going fancy, went even lighter on the wife's by going tubeless. Both the rim and the tire are fairly cheap and I wouldn't attempt to make them tubeless, not worth the risk. Just ride as is and replace when you want better.
Old 06-23-21, 03:01 PM
Reggo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Poseidon X arrives on Saturday, yes I am excited! I am shopping around for an inexpensive 700c tubeless wheelset, I am a bit overwhelmed with my options, any suggestions?
Old 06-24-21, 07:21 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
My Poseidon X arrives on Saturday, yes I am excited! I am shopping around for an inexpensive 700c tubeless wheelset, I am a bit overwhelmed with my options, any suggestions?
Excellent opportunity to learn wheel building. I'm replacing the WTB wheelset on my Kona Rove. Got Spank Race 28 rims for $110, Novate hubs for $80, now I just need to measure everything and order spokes for another $60 or so.
Old 06-28-21, 08:16 AM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I'm enjoying mine.

https://www.spinergy.com/products/gx32
Old 07-05-21, 10:04 AM
EdwardT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bought a Poseidon X flat bar in March. Immediately upgraded the seat, grips and tires. The tires are WTB Nano 700 x 40 Comp. They're fairly low end. I just wanted something wider than the stock 35mm tires.

I've ridden over 1000 miles on it. Probably 600 miles on gravel. Plenty of rough gravel. The bike has held up fine.

If you're worried about flats, try Slime sealant or Slime tubes. It's a cheap, easy (and a little heavier) alternative to going tubeless.

On a different note, has anyone tried 45mm tires on Poseidon's stock wheels?
Old 01-16-22, 05:00 AM
Vegan Pedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwardT
Bought a Poseidon X flat bar in March. Immediately upgraded the seat, grips and tires. The tires are WTB Nano 700 x 40 Comp. They're fairly low end. I just wanted something wider than the stock 35mm tires.

I've ridden over 1000 miles on it. Probably 600 miles on gravel. Plenty of rough gravel. The bike has held up fine.

If you're worried about flats, try Slime sealant or Slime tubes. It's a cheap, easy (and a little heavier) alternative to going tubeless.

On a different note, has anyone tried 45mm tires on Poseidon's stock wheels?

I just put on a set of American Classic “Krumbein’s” yesterday. 700 X 50mm, but on the stock wheels they measure at 45mm. Plenty of mud clearance.
Old 06-25-22, 03:00 PM
miamicyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! I'm new to the site and love the info that you as a group have to offer!

On the Poseidon website they said "Wheels are not tubeless compatible" for the X, has any one converted these wheels to tubeless?
I converted a set tubeless no problem running Specialized Pathfinder Pro Bliss 38mm tires with Gorilla tape and Orange Sealant. Perfect setup inflated 1st time, not a single leak..
Old 06-25-22, 04:41 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
You can get more info on Poseidon's FB owner group page. Several members have run tubeless on stock wheels, but Poseidon does not endorse or encourage it. The main issue is that if you run really low pressure, you could risk blowing out the tire on stock wheels. If you want to get access to more plentiful thru axle wheelsets, you can order from Poseidon a conversion rear thru axle dropout and axle bolt ($40) and you can use a cheap front fork TA to QR adapter (about $11-14) so you don't need to swap out the fork. That's what I'm doing with my custom built X in order to use TA wheels.