Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Powder coated frame advice

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-08-22, 04:15 PM
williamskg6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

Hello, everyone. I had a 1987 Specialized Sirrus powdercoated and when they did the job, they powdercoated the dropouts. This looks nice but has a fun problem - the rear wheel will slip forward while riding even if I crank the quick release down very tightly.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and found a solution that doesn't require keeping Arnold Schwarzenegger around to tighten the rear quick release prior to each ride.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-22, 04:45 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
What is your theory as to why the powder coating is making the quick release skewers lose their grip? Are you using internal cam or external cam skewers? If the external type are slipping get some shimano Ultegra ones (or comparable) and they should hold much better. I can't see why you would need to somehow remove the powder coating on the dropout face.
Likes For masi61:
Old 06-08-22, 05:21 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am thinking your bike has horizontal drop outs. I have the same issue with a late 80's Ochsner, but the drop outs were not powder coated with the rest of the frame. It is an issue with the horizontal drop outs, the wheel has a tendency to be pulled forward on the drive side due to the torque from the chain. As stated above, good internal cam skewers are needed, and you still might have to tighten them down more than you would with vertical drop outs. When I spread the rear to 130mm, I put on a set of Open Pro/Ultegra wheels with Ultegra QR's, internal cam, and the wheel does not slip as long as it is tightened enough, which is far less than the old ones. I could hardly open those after tightening them so much. I have an older set of Bontrager wheels and QR,s, not internal cam, they will slip on the Ochsner, but not on a bike with vertical drop outs.
Old 06-08-22, 10:40 PM
williamskg6

Yes, the dropouts are horizontal, as all good 80's bikes are. I not only have problems with them slipping on the drive side, but the non-drive side too. I have to crank my quick releases down so tight they're almost impossible to remove. Sounds like I should try to get some internal cam skewers and try that.
Likes For williamskg6:
Old 06-08-22, 10:43 PM
williamskg6

Originally Posted by masi61
What is your theory as to why the powder coating is making the quick release skewers lose their grip?
Easy. The powder coat paint is very slippery. It's also very hard and smooth, hence the slippery. I may have to try those internal cam skewers though - the ones I have are just the ones that came with the wheels and they're almost certainly not internal cam.
Old 06-08-22, 11:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by williamskg6
Yes, the dropouts are horizontal, as all good 80's bikes are. I not only have problems with them slipping on the drive side, but the non-drive side too. I have to crank my quick releases down so tight they're almost impossible to remove. Sounds like I should try to get some internal cam skewers and try that.

....those quick releases that look like this are not suitable for horizontal dropouts, regardless of paint, chrome, or powdercoat on them.
I don't think I ever saw a set of those until frames with vertical dropouts became more common...which was well after the 1980's.
Old 06-09-22, 04:02 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
The slippage usually happens on the drive side, that, of course, cause the non-drive side to slip also. I am guessing when the wheel slips, the front of the wheel/tire are off kilter towards the non-drive side.
Old 06-09-22, 08:05 AM
williamskg6

I have ordered a Shimano Ultegra 6800 internal cam quick release. I'll post back when I've given it a try. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Likes For williamskg6:
Old 06-09-22, 09:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I just wish campagnolo quick release skewers weren't so expensive, because they work so well on horizontal dropouts. Fortunately, you only have to buy them once.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-09-22, 10:00 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
https://surlybikes.com/parts/hurdy_gurdy

Old 06-09-22, 10:38 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
See post #65: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post12257823

This has been a cheap solution and solves the problems from using Cheap Light Weight Quick Releases...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-09-22 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 02:35 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Skewers don't seem to "bite" like they used to. I've experienced slippage and found a suggestion to lubricate the cam of the skewer. So far, it has fixed the problem on the road bike I use for commuting, a steel LeMond Tourmalet with short, semi-vertical dropouts.
Old 06-09-22, 10:46 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
What is your theory as to why the powder coating is making the quick release skewers lose their grip? Are you using internal cam or external cam skewers? If the external type are slipping get some shimano Ultegra ones (or comparable) and they should hold much better. I can't see why you would need to somehow remove the powder coating on the dropout face.
For what it's worth: this (internal-cam QR skewer) has worked for me with a powder-coated horizontal-dropout frame.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-10-22, 07:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by williamskg6
Yes. Exposed cam quick releases are only reliable with vertical dropouts.
Old 06-10-22, 09:26 AM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Convert the rear hub to a solid axle.