Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Head Badge -- 348

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 12:48 PM
mattinkansas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I feel like this has probably been answered numerous times on this forum, but I just can't track the answer down, so looking for some help. I have a Schwinn World Sport which I feel certain is from the 1980's, but am hoping for an exact year. There are three numbers on the head badge: 348.

It's really a fun bike and I think it is probably one of the nicer versions in this lineup: 12 speed, chromoly, double-butted, lugged with quick release wheels front and back. It's a "woman's bike" and has upright kind of swept back handlebars instead of drops, which I assume would not be how it come from the factory.

Thank you for any help!
Old 06-21-22, 05:38 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by mattinkansas
I feel like this has probably been answered numerous times on this forum, but I just can't track the answer down, so looking for some help. I have a Schwinn World Sport which I feel certain is from the 1980's, but am hoping for an exact year. There are three numbers on the head badge: 348.

It's really a fun bike and I think it is probably one of the nicer versions in this lineup: 12 speed, chromoly, double-butted, lugged with quick release wheels front and back. It's a "woman's bike" and has upright kind of swept back handlebars instead of drops, which I assume would not be how it come from the factory.

Thank you for any help!
Usually there are four digits stamped into the head badge. Check and see if there is a faint impression on either side of the "3" or "8."

Check the Schwinn catalogue pages for the 1980s. Specifically, the spec sheet for the 1988 models.

Posting pictures also helps with guidance and answering questions. Looking forward to assisting more.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-21-22, 08:29 AM
mattinkansas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you, Pastorbob. I think I see the issue. The rivet must have wiped out the digit after the 8.

Likes For mattinkansas:
Old 06-21-22, 12:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Usually there are four digits stamped into the head badge. Check and see if there is a faint impression on either side of the "3" or "8."

Check the Schwinn catalogue pages for the 1980s. Specifically, the spec sheet for the 1988 models.

Posting pictures also helps with guidance and answering questions. Looking forward to assisting more.
Originally Posted by mattinkansas
Thank you, Pastorbob. I think I see the issue. The rivet must have wiped out the digit after the 8.

Is it stamped on the steerer also?
Old 06-22-22, 06:17 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Is it stamped on the steerer also?
No. The four-digit head badge number is only used in that location to identify the day of the year and year it was assembled. In mattinkansas 's picture, it would be the 348th day of 198?. My guess would be that the missing number is a "7" (the top of which can barely be seen above the rivet). So, a 1988 model which was made on December 14, 1987.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-22-22, 02:58 PM
mattinkansas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks again for the help! Everything seems to match up with 1987, except the crankset. The Schwinn catalogue page says SR SXC-310 170 Forged Alloy 40-52 teeth, But my crankset says Sakae SX. I'll keep thumbing through the catalogues, but thought I'd see if there is something I don't understand about the brand names.

Thanks again for the help! Everything seems to match up with 1987, except the crankset. The Schwinn catalogue page says SR SXC-310 170 Forged Alloy 40-52 teeth, But my crankset says Sakae SX. I'll keep thumbing through the catalogues, but thought I'd see if there is something I don't understand about the brand names.