Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is there any value to Panasonic bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-22, 12:15 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Is there any value to Panasonic bikes?

Hey guys. Sorry I'm such a n00b about vintage stuff, I mostly stick to modern road bikes so I have to claim ignorance.

I have inherited a couple (one man's and one woman's) Panasonic road bikes that came with my property. They were garage kept, and from the looks of them, they were bought and almost immediately hung from the rafters. Absolutely everything is original on them, right down to the tires, which I'm sure don't hold air now. But they're actually original Panasonic tires.

Anyway, they're too tall for me. And a little more "vintage" than I care for. But given how original they are, I have to wonder if there's any kind of market for these bikes. I'm not looking for a fortune or anything, but if they have any value I don't want to just donate them to some thrift shop.

They're Panasonic Sport 1000, I'm guessing early 90s, and like I said, they are completely original. I can post pics tomorrow. I don't know if there's any kind of following of Panasonic, or how they rate for quality. Knowing the previous owners, they were probably bought from some kind of "Mart" store. Just wondering if there's any kind of market for these bikes. Besides this forum, I don't even know where I would look to find out.
Old 06-25-22, 02:05 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Just google it. It is an entry level bike but above department store quality.
Old 06-25-22, 08:28 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
There is a following for many of the Panasonic models. The Sport was considered lower end at the time it was marketed, but a well built bike. Post up some photos so we can identify the years roughly.
Old 06-25-22, 09:32 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.

Old 06-25-22, 02:08 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie
There is a following for many of the Panasonic models. The Sport was considered lower end at the time it was marketed, but a well built bike. Post up some photos so we can identify the years roughly.
I would while not high end a these were well built under there own and other brands Panasonic built a lot mid to very top end bikes. All of there stuff seemed to have very good to exceptional frame quality for the price.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 06-25-22, 07:29 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Like many manufacturers back in the day, Panasonic made a full product line from basic to top notch, and everything in between. They also made bikes for others. And like most of the Japanese bicycle manufacturers, they made good bikes.

The Sport models were at the entry level. Originality has no impact on value on the Sport. They will not be bought by collectors. Instead, overall condition and last time the bike has been serviced have more impact on pricing. Bikes that have been sitting idle for years tend to need an infusion of maintenance. Such maintenance by a local bike shop would exceed the value of the bike. So for many, its better to clean them up and sell them as is to a person that has the time/tools/aptitude to do the maintenance themselves.

To the average buyer out there, Panasonics tend to not get as much recognition as others.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-25-22 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 06-25-22, 10:07 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Yeah, what they ^ all said.
Old 06-28-22, 12:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Panasonics are awesome -- they still make keirin framesets for the Japanese market
Old 06-28-22, 02:54 PM
jomqkdgzphgphkx

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panasonic was one of the greatest bicycle manufacturers of all time, producing very high quality frames. They contract manufactured a lot of good bikes too, like Centurions and the coveted Japanese Schwinns. The owner of the company himself was an avid cyclist and was personally invested in this side of the business.
Old 06-30-22, 07:51 PM
VegasJen

OK, guys. I got distracted this week working in my garage. It's a mess. But anyway. I finally got some pictures to post. The one thing I'll say about these bikes is they are HEAVY. Holy crap! I didn't put them on a scale, but I have to guess they're 40 pounds. Way heavier than any of my modern road bikes. I think they're even heavier than my full suspension cheap China-Mart dirt bike (and that's saying something).
I haven't even cleaned them up yet. This is literally how they looked after hanging from the garage rafters for what I estimate to be the last ~30 years.

This is them men's bike. No idea on frame size. I don't see any markings, but it's way tall for me. I've ridden a 54cm before and that's right at the upper limit of what I can ride. This has to be taller than that.

Here's the ladies. I didn't even try mounting it. It's definitely shorter though.

One thing I did notice on both bikes I've never seen before, at least that I can remember, is that the handlebars have a slight upward bend on either side just past the stem. Not a lot, maybe 10*, if that much. I don't think someone did it at home, I think the bars were manufactured that way. I've just never seen that before.

Anyway, you think there's any value to these?
Old 07-01-22, 07:01 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You can go to the website: https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info...ycles-catalog/

I'm guessing it is a 1981 or thereabouts, high tensile steel and according to the specs weighs in at 31 lbs.

Here's the good news and the bad news. It is a lower end Panasonic and as you pointed out, compared to modern-day road bikes it is a boat anchor. That's the bad. The good? Both bikes are pretty and with a little love and care, they will be very nice riders for folks not interested in the latest and greatest. A lot of people just want something dependable to ride in the park or on a local rails to trails path. Those are perfect for that use.

This is just my opinion of course, but I do have some experience to back up my position. About ten years ago I sold a his/hers set of bikes, far less well made than the Panasonics, to a young couple who thought they were awesome. I got $150.00 for the pair and honestly I was thrilled. They were the lowest of the low department store type, but they were in mint condition. There are tons of examples of bikes purchased by couples who were intent on "getting in shape" and then they never follow up, meaning the bikes are in "near new" condition decades later. Sadly, just because they weren't ridden they still need to be fully serviced, and that comes at a price, especially if you don't do the work yourself. In some towns the service might be more than the bike is actually worth in its current state. Just depends.

As far as value, if you find the right audience, I could see $100.00 each or more as being realistic. In a really hot market, maybe quite a bit more.
Old 07-01-22, 10:20 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
OK, guys. I got distracted this week working in my garage. It's a mess. But anyway. I finally got some pictures to post. The one thing I'll say about these bikes is they are HEAVY. Holy crap! I didn't put them on a scale, but I have to guess they're 40 pounds. Way heavier than any of my modern road bikes. I think they're even heavier than my full suspension cheap China-Mart dirt bike (and that's saying something).
I haven't even cleaned them up yet. This is literally how they looked after hanging from the garage rafters for what I estimate to be the last ~30 years.

This is them men's bike. No idea on frame size. I don't see any markings, but it's way tall for me. I've ridden a 54cm before and that's right at the upper limit of what I can ride. This has to be taller than that.

Here's the ladies. I didn't even try mounting it. It's definitely shorter though.

One thing I did notice on both bikes I've never seen before, at least that I can remember, is that the handlebars have a slight upward bend on either side just past the stem. Not a lot, maybe 10*, if that much. I don't think someone did it at home, I think the bars were manufactured that way. I've just never seen that before.

Anyway, you think there's any value to these?

This is a really cool matching set -- but no - those bike's are not at the upper end of spectrum -- lugs look pretty basic, has safety levers, 27" wheels , ------ that said -- thats still a nice pair and both look to be quality built bicycles

Ideally you could find a man/woman combo who is into the retro-chic aesthetic these have and would have fun with them -- for - i'm guessing $350 for the pair.

But again, limited dollar value does not mean that these bike's arent unique and pretty cool in their own right

The slight upward bend on the bars was a "Randonneering Bend" and was common BITD -- also a cool feature in my book
Old 07-01-22, 02:21 PM
VegasJen

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I never heard of those bars. They look odd. At first, I thought it might have been some kind of home job, bending them like that. But they're far too symmetrical to have been done by some yokel in his garage.
Originally Posted by TugaDude
You can go to the website: https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info...ycles-catalog/

I'm guessing it is a 1981 or thereabouts, high tensile steel and according to the specs weighs in at 31 lbs.

Here's the good news and the bad news. It is a lower end Panasonic and as you pointed out, compared to modern-day road bikes it is a boat anchor. That's the bad. The good? Both bikes are pretty and with a little love and care, they will be very nice riders for folks not interested in the latest and greatest. A lot of people just want something dependable to ride in the park or on a local rails to trails path. Those are perfect for that use.

This is just my opinion of course, but I do have some experience to back up my position. About ten years ago I sold a his/hers set of bikes, far less well made than the Panasonics, to a young couple who thought they were awesome. I got $150.00 for the pair and honestly I was thrilled. They were the lowest of the low department store type, but they were in mint condition. There are tons of examples of bikes purchased by couples who were intent on "getting in shape" and then they never follow up, meaning the bikes are in "near new" condition decades later. Sadly, just because they weren't ridden they still need to be fully serviced, and that comes at a price, especially if you don't do the work yourself. In some towns the service might be more than the bike is actually worth in its current state. Just depends.

As far as value, if you find the right audience, I could see $100.00 each or more as being realistic. In a really hot market, maybe quite a bit more.
I would be thrilled to get $100/each for them. The bad part about living in Vegas is that it's like an inland island. Decent size market, but the next big cities are Phoenix, L.A. and SLC, all 300+ miles away and a whole lot of nothing in between.

This winter, I'll probably throw them in the truck and take them to my friend in Florida and let her sell them there. Much larger market I'm sure.
Old 07-01-22, 04:20 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I have found Vegas to be a great place to BUY, and a lousy place to SELL. I've picked up a few great ones there this year. Depending on location in Florida, it is often no better. Lots of beach cruisers in. FL.

If it were me, I'd price them $50 each, air up the tires, and hopefully move them in Vegas.
Old 07-01-22, 04:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I would be thrilled to get $100/each for them.

This winter, I'll probably throw them in the truck and take them to my friend in Florida and let her sell them there. Much larger market I'm sure.
If they were mine and I wanted $200 for the pair and was willing to sit on them until winter, I would go ahead and list them for sale and see if there were any takers. And if not, I would probably drop the price just to not take them to Florida.

Old 07-01-22, 04:42 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Chuck M
If they were mine and I wanted $200 for the pair and was willing to sit on them until winter, I would go ahead and list them for sale and see if there were any takers. And if not, I would probably drop the price just to not take them to Florida.
I get where you're coming from but I should have probably clarified. I'll be making the trip, by truck, to Florida regardless, so it won't be a big deal to just throw them in the back anyway. But I probably will put them up on CL here locally first and see if I have any takers.
Old 07-19-22, 10:34 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Panasonics are awesome -- they still make keirin framesets for the Japanese market
about $1,700 and built to spec.