Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Are tubeless tyres worth the fuss?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Are tubeless tyres worth the fuss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 05:39 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit
Because the sealant contains particles that are too big to pass through the needle.
ahh so that is also why bigger holes need plugs. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
No, @unterhausen is dead-on about luer locks. I have a luer lock capped 1oz poly bottle in my saddle bag with my "emergency" sealant, for those times I forget to refresh-- which I do. The luer tip fits perfectly into a presta valve.

For normal sealant procedure, I use one of the injectors from TruckerCo, which has a luer lock tip, and a presta-specific tube. The Stan's one is better than nothing. Barely.
I like this bottle, Especially for road side.
Old 01-16-19, 05:53 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I don't mean to "Gatecrash" the OP's thread but hopefully some of the queries I've raised are relevant / useful to the OP in making a decision as well and the answers have been extremely useful .... so thanks for everyone's input!

Can any rims be converted to tubeless, I appreciate having tubeless ready would be beneficial but can it be done with all wheels if they're not ... I have looked up buying a kit with tape etc so it's more a question of will it always work or might I go through the process to find they won't take / seal.
The same question also for the tyres or will it only work with tubeless ones or have I got to get new rims and tyres which would then makes it an costly exercise.

My current set ups are Mavic XM319 wheels on my 29er with Smart Sam Plus tyres and on my Gravel bike Merida Comp SL wheels with 38c Gravel King SK's .

I do have a compressor to hand as I've also seen comments they can be hard to get to take using just a hand pump.
Old 01-16-19, 10:03 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm an Orange Seal Endurance user and I find the small injector kits they sell work very well for easy sealant filling and refills. Get one of the 4oz or 8oz kits for filling and buy the 16oz or 32oz bottles for more economic supply.

Just put the desired amount of sealant in the small bottle, put the tube on the bottle top, slip the open end of the tube over the valve stem (with core removed) and pour or squeeze the sealant into the tire. It helps to reach up near the top of the tire and push a small section of bead away from the rim with your thumb to make an air vent so the sealant will flow more easily. The kit also comes with a little dipstick that you can use to check the sealant level in the tire. Check the level after the first fill to get a reference point for what it looks like when filled.

Old 01-16-19, 11:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ +1

I used the Orange Seal injector bottle last night.

-Tim-
Old 01-16-19, 12:17 PM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit of an update but thank you for all this discussion, its sold me that I should carry on with the tubeless setup, there are far more pros than there are cons and maintenance isn't all that bad, I think the stock tyres are just a bit soft and I've been struck with bad luck.

I decided to stick with the Hutchinson Overides which were super easy to install and are incredibly tight on my rims, really put the Giant Gravel tyres to shame in my opinion.

Sorry for the poor background on the photos, post commute and only fitted them last night so haven't had any time to hit the trails since.

Originally Posted by Witterings
I don't mean to "Gatecrash" the OP's thread but hopefully some of the queries I've raised are relevant / useful to the OP in making a decision as well and the answers have been extremely useful .... so thanks for everyone's input!

Can any rims be converted to tubeless, I appreciate having tubeless ready would be beneficial but can it be done with all wheels if they're not ... I have looked up buying a kit with tape etc so it's more a question of will it always work or might I go through the process to find they won't take / seal.
The same question also for the tyres or will it only work with tubeless ones or have I got to get new rims and tyres which would then makes it an costly exercise.

My current set ups are Mavic XM319 wheels on my 29er with Smart Sam Plus tyres and on my Gravel bike Merida Comp SL wheels with 38c Gravel King SK's .

I do have a compressor to hand as I've also seen comments they can be hard to get to take using just a hand pump.
From the Park Tool website on tubeless:
"A “tubeless ready” or similar wording on a tire indicates there are some design features to help get an air tight seal to the rim. The bead will generally have a square shape instead of the rounded shape commonly found on inner tube systems. The casing will be heavier than a normal tubed tire, as the liner in the tire needs to be air tight as well.

A tubeless ready rim will have a sidewall with a hooked design, which helps catch and hold the bead. Older rims will appear rounded without a hook shape. The shape of the rim will force the bead up snug against the outer hook, and will have a deep section in the middle to make it easier to remove."

I think theory is that any rim can be set up tubeless if you tape up the spoke nipples and install a valve but you'll have a much easier time installing and maintaining them if you buy components that are UST ready and designed to be run tubeless due to the hooked rim profile and the tighter and more rigid bead on tubeless tyres.
Old 01-16-19, 07:18 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings

To add to the post above, you can look into using the skinny strippers. Made it much easier to set up my Smart Sams tubelessly on a pair of Alex DA16. rims.
Old 01-18-19, 08:27 AM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks again for the replies .... I think the only thing that could possibly stop me at least trying it is I change tyres for different seasons but I guess if they need removing and "cleaning up" from time to time would just do it when I swap them over.
Old 01-18-19, 10:08 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I was getting a lot of pinch punctures on my gravel bike, the terrain here is rocky and running higher tire pressures made for an uncomfortable ride, I bought a I pair of Maxxis 40c tubeless ready tires and have been loving them. It`s been about 3 months and I haven't had a single flat. And I'm using the gravel bike for everything from riding rocky off-road stuff to urban commuting. I ride a track Checkpoint ALR 4 on the stock rims, and they were not that hard to get sealed with Stans tape, sealant and valves.
Old 02-23-19, 07:38 PM
BikeTall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I commute on the streets of NYC everyday and hardly ever get a flat using my regular tube tires on my Giant Escape 2. Was thinking of getting the Giant Toughroad and was curious about tubeless tires as well. Seems to be a mixed bag. Some people love em. Others hate em.
Old 02-24-19, 04:11 AM
Chad h

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run tubeless in my tough road gravel bike and my TCR road bike won’t go back. Had a few punctures on my road bike that sealed them self didn’t even stop riding one I heard the hiss for a second before it sealed and the other I seen the white spot going around my front tire where some sealant was oozing. Road for a full year with no flats. Normally I would have fixed at least 4 flats in a year
Old 04-17-19, 04:49 AM
CakeChaser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tubeless is worth the initial faff. Sometimes the set-up is super easy, sometimes super hard. I guess it's difficult for tyre manufacturers to to match the rim edge depth, sometimes the tyres are too baggy more often these days too tight particularly with tough gravel tyres. If too baggy I put a wrap or two of PVC tape over the more resilient tubeless rim tape. If too tight I use some washing up liquid on the rim tyre to slid it on better. For what it's worth I've found No Tubes, Squirt or Effetto sealant good. To make the valve hole tight, MT ZOOM tubeless valves have a bigger nut than others to compress everything. If there is a small leak often riding the bike seals it up.
Likes For CakeChaser:
Old 04-17-19, 06:16 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I had hijacked RicePuddings thread on Giant geometry with a question on tire pressure, sorry 'bout that and thanks for your answers. I picked up my new Toughroad 10 days ago. The shop owner recommended running them at 70/70. I see they could be run as low as 50 psi but I weigh 200 ibs. I am going to try them at 65 front 70 back as soon as it stops raining here. There was no discussion on having to top up or monitor the fluid level. I asked about a patch kit and was told that if a hole is too big for the sealant to patch, a plug would probably not do the trick either.

Guess I better get a plug and sealant kit to take with me when I head 30 km down the trails. This has been a timely thread, I will have to look up some of the sealant applicators that have been mentioned.
Old 04-17-19, 09:34 AM
enveous
Banned.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is the best plug kit on the market: https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-tubeless-repair-kit/
I've used the same type of plug kit from genuineinnovations.

While more expensive, I now prefer Dynaplug. Faster and the having a larger plug option makes plugging bigger wholes easier.

Dynaplug® Online Store | Tubeless Bicycle Tires
Old 04-17-19, 09:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My experiences with tubeless have been largely positive and I think the technology is much better than it was even a couple of years ago. I currently have four bikes set up tubeless: road, MTB, fat, gravel. I like the technology everywhere, but the biggest change was going from tubed 25s at 110 psi on the road to tubeless 28s at 80-85 psi. Night and day comfort and grip difference with no loss of speed

The main drawback of tubeless seems to be setup. I've done the process a few times on various types of wheels. In my experience, unless you're using new tires and a meticulously clean rim, it can be a pain. Also, there's a direct correlation between how hard it is to get the bead on the rim and how reliable the resulting setup will be: floppy rims that you can mount easily just never work. If you're tearing up your hands wrestling the tire on, you're likely going to be much happier later. I use super grippy work gloves and lots of soapy water when mounting tubeless tires. It's a garage or outside job. In my experience, once you get a reliable setup that's holding air well, you're good to go until the tire is worn out.

The other main irritation for me with tubeless is the pricing. The price of tubeless tape is particularly absurd. You can sometimes find generic strapping tape that's cut to the precise width you need but more often you're paying a 5x-10x premium to get branded stuff. The valves are also ludicrously overpriced.
Old 04-17-19, 10:11 AM
enveous
Banned.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
The other main irritation for me with tubeless is the pricing. The price of tubeless tape is particularly absurd. You can sometimes find generic strapping tape that's cut to the precise width you need but more often you're paying a 5x-10x premium to get branded stuff. The valves are also ludicrously overpriced.
Premium branded stuff is cheap if you know what to look for. It's not like Stan's has their own tape factory somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Everyone obviously has their own perception of "ludicrously overpriced" but I wonder how many people actually find $11 for two tubeless valves to be ludicrously overpriced?
Old 04-17-19, 10:26 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
Guess I better get a plug and sealant kit to take with me when I head 30 km down the trails. This has been a timely thread, I will have to look up some of the sealant applicators that have been mentioned.
A lot of us carry an extra tube just in case of a unrepairable tubeless failure.
Old 04-17-19, 12:38 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
What tires? 28s? 70 psi is pretty high for anything other than road tubeless. I'm looking at toughroad models and most seem to come with tires larger than 35mm. Your shop seems pretty clueless about tubeless, or maybe just low experience. I've plugged 2 holes in the past 6 months that sealant didn't seal by itself. Add a plug and the space to seal gets smaller and most of the time will seal with sealant just fine. One tire has had a plug for coming up on 2200 miles now, it's basically part of the tire now.

This is the best plug kit on the market: https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-tubeless-repair-kit/

Bonus is they also make a great travel size sealant (you want the 80ml size):https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-tubeless-tire-sealant/

Tires are Giant Crosscut 700x40c, infation range 50 to 75 psi. Shop said do not go below 50 psi
Old 04-17-19, 01:11 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Good thread. I've been curious about tubeless, but never knew enough to even have a valid opinion. I get the advantages, but don't see them applying enough for me personally, to outweigh the headaches. As it stands, I'm sticking with tubes.
('sides, I got a pretty decent stash of road and mtn tubes, and all my tires are amazingly easy to muscle on and off ! )
Old 04-17-19, 01:25 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I did an MTB race/ride 2 weeks ago on my gravel bike which I thought was going to be XC but ended up being more AM. Even with a skinny 40mm tire for that kind of terrain I never got a single flat with tubeless. Yet I passed quite a bit of people on the trail with MTBs and much bigger tires dealing with flats on their tubed tires.

What exactly are the headaches with tubeless? I have yet to get a flat in 2 years running tubeless on my mtb and gravel bikes. Setup wise I know people buy 100 dollar bike pumps all the time but the best tool for the job is an $80 pancake air compressor from HD or Lowes.
Old 04-17-19, 01:39 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Good thread. I've been curious about tubeless, but never knew enough to even have a valid opinion. I get the advantages, but don't see them applying enough for me personally, to outweigh the headaches. As it stands, I'm sticking with tubes.
('sides, I got a pretty decent stash of road and mtn tubes, and all my tires are amazingly easy to muscle on and off ! )
Yeah if you're not currently having an issue then why change. But if you already have a wheelset that's tubeless ready. Might not hurt to try your next set of tires!
Old 05-02-22, 12:24 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
The 650b wheelset on my gravel bike is tubeless ready, the tires were not. I had it all converted to tubeless. the difference in ride quality is undisputable. I am able to push the bike noticeably harder into turns which will result in very easy to control oversteer- more so than before. I think this is attributed to the fact that the sidewalls are slightly softer, since they are designed for tubes. This affects how low of a PSI I can run, but the difference is big and very welcomed when pushing the bike around turns.
Old 05-02-22, 04:25 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
To answer the original (and old question), no, tubeless tires are not worth it to me.

Last edited by nomadmax; 05-02-22 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 04:47 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
For my modern mountain bike, I went tubeless to run lower pressure and help with punctures. My gravel bike see 90% pavement and even though it has tubeless ready rims, I use tubes due to the cleanliness. I also don't want to have to worry about adding sealant every 6 months to more than 1 bike.
I top off sealant once every 60 days and completely clear out dried sealant every 6 months.
I've had two road punctures that the sealant took care of but ended up being the kind of cut that trashes the tire. At least the rides I was on weren't scraped due to the cuts.
Old 05-05-22, 08:27 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
In 4 years of riding gravel i have yet to get a flat with tubes. I run more psi than most though because 1- I am not a feather weight and 2- I don't like the sluggish feel of low psi.

there is just no discernable disadvantage for me.
I've also been told I ride on baby gravel here, but I've ridden gravel in many of the counties here(all contract for their own gravel) and many of the surrounding states without issue.

perhaps its luck, perhaps its picking my line better than others. Who knows.
to try tubeless I would want/need a new wheelset too since mine isnt a tubeless rim and that just isn't appealing.
Sure, me too. I've done a lot of miles on gravel and haven't flatted yet. To my mind its not about tubes or no tubes, its about tyres that's reinforced enough to not get punctured through the thread and casing. I've tried Wiggle own brand "prime armour" tyres and lately Pirelli Cinturato velo. So far, so good. Imo, riding thin unprotected "gravel tyres", relying on sealant to save the day is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-05-22, 09:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Sure, me too. I've done a lot of miles on gravel and haven't flatted yet. To my mind its not about tubes or no tubes, its about tyres that's reinforced enough to not get punctured through the thread and casing. I've tried Wiggle own brand "prime armour" tyres and lately Pirelli Cinturato velo. So far, so good. Imo, riding thin unprotected "gravel tyres", relying on sealant to save the day is a disaster waiting to happen.
Wow that post of mine is from a while ago. Funny enough- a handful of months after I posted that over 3 years ago, I purchased a tubeless wheelset since I bought a new gravel frame that was thru-axle.

I have had more punctures with tubeless than with tubes(2 vs 0), but I chalk that up to just bad luck since I dont ride differently. Tubeless setup has been WAY more difficult than tube setup. Once set up, its been nearly the same- basically no effort needed to maintain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.