Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Keeper?

Old 03-01-21, 08:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I used Goof-Off to clean the old glue off the rims, for tubs, from time to time. Be certain you wear rubber, or solvent-proof gloves, if you use it though.

I learned about Goof-Off from professional painters on our construction jobs, it will remove pretty much adhesive that you can find, and does not leave a residue, just keep it away from painted surfaces. No problems with anodized aluminum parts, however.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 03-01-21, 08:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I decided to ditch the nylon wheel in my wireless drill and get a couple small brass brush wheels for the Dremel. Tell you what, though - the price-gouging going on for these little Dremel attachments is freaking nuts! Hopefully I can get the crustiness off with the two I picked up and I don't have to buy any more for awhile. At least I can go high-speed with the Dremel.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-02-21, 01:32 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by bertinjim
DrilliumDude -

To remove the old glue without solvent, use a brass or steel bristle rotary brush on a Dremel. Works a treat but be prepared to get dusty.
You may be more right than you know; this stuff scrapes off kinda powdery, so I figure it'll end up atomized pretty fast using the Dremel. Plus, when it comes down to it I'm familiar that particular tool

I'll follow it up with some Goof Off as per Bill's suggestion - carb cleaner might be a bit too harsh (plus I've experience with GO).

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-02-21, 08:12 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I may be okay then - the Giros I have are much, much older than that. I wonder what they changed about them that made them so wishy-washy later on?

My version - note the nicely-browning sidewall:

DD
the giros were acceptable tires for me but eventually the tread started chunking.
huh, little segments of 4-x6mm of tread.

then the price went high for a while.

stretching now are 23 Rally’s - not a loved tire, been aging and I purchased them at a terrific price. My disappoint are four Vittoria pista tires
only one holds air, I will have to send them all off for new tubes really a bummer new tires that the tube fitzed
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-02-21, 04:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I chip off the old dry red glue with a well worn flat bladed screwdriver which won’t scratch the rim. Newer Continental or Vitoria glue softens up with CitriSolve and wipes off.
Old 03-02-21, 04:48 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by repechage
the giros were acceptable tires for me but eventually the tread started chunking.
huh, little segments of 4-x6mm of tread.

then the price went high for a while.

stretching now are 23 Rally’s - not a loved tire, been aging and I purchased them at a terrific price. My disappoint are four Vittoria pista tires
only one holds air, I will have to send them all off for new tubes really a bummer new tires that the tube fitzed
My current chalice is the Rally, but in the 25 width, fits just barely in both frames/forks. I wish the Giros were still the same as in the past, I used them for several years with no issues at all. Rode them when I met up with some of the Boston folks for a ride around the Bunker Hill area one frigid day, no flats or any other troubles. The last set I tried started the same chunking off you describe almost immediately. Far too easy to puncture too, got tired of changing out for the spare just to get home.

Bill

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 03-02-21, 05:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Tires are taped and pumped up to 120psi and the bike's currently hanging on the wall. Hoping to find some Newbaum's somewhere local tomorrow so I can finish everything up.

Last night I pulled the old GdI bar out and installed the waiting CdM, so now the mechanical swaps are complete with the exception of the aforementioned tape.

Today I took the Dremel and a stainless steel (thought I'd gotten brass, but this probably worked better) brush and went to town. This is what they looked like when I started:

Using setting 3 of 10 (unfortunately my Dremel doesn't go to 11) it was short work to remove the existing crud without turning it into a melting, sticky mass:

Once done I cleaned off both wheels of residual dust, then began laying down the tape; I added the little reminders in case the tires are a ***** to remove when the time comes:

It took about an hour to get both tires centered decently, and both still display a bit of a high spot at the valve/rim interface. Don't know if it'll be noticeable from the saddle. I did have a bit of a scare when one of the backing tapes split in half lengthwise while pulling it out once I was satisfied with the tire's placement! Fixed that by deflating the tire, pulling at the tire at the non-taped spot and snagging hold of the edge of the stubborn bit of backing tape. Once I got it partway out, I pumped up the tire, tweaked the centering one more time and then pulled the remainder of the tape out. Whew!

If I can get the bars taped before I head to AZ - and get a dry afternoon - I think I'll be able to get a test ride in. We'll see

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-02-21 at 10:15 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-02-21, 06:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Just got off the phone with Charles at Wright Bros. Cycles in Fremont and he has black Velox bar tape. Picking it up tomorrow morning; if it's dry I'll ride a bike to get it and if it's wet, well...cager time

If it's dry I'm gonna try to do a test-ride right after taping up the bars and re-cabling the brakes. I can always add the shellac later in the evening....

DD
Old 03-02-21, 07:47 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

One hack I learned for getting the tubs to seat at the valve stems, take 2-4 zip ties, put about 40psi in the tubs, and snug the segment down so that the glue or tape and the tire to lay in properly. Just cut them off after sitting a few hours.

It goes back to the 70’s and my first bike with tubs, hated any bumps from the Clement tires. Worth the time to do this.

Looking forward to the first ride report.👍

Bill

Old 03-02-21, 07:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Tape is finally here

And because I am planning on keeping this (duh - why else would I be making it road-worthy, right?), I've decided to make one last substitution. Took the CdM bar from the stem/bar combo removed from the Medici and will use it to replace the GdI bar on the Alpina. I prefer the CdM shape - and deeper drop aesthetic - and this one is about 1cm wider to boot. But. I have used up my stash of old-school Velox tape and have to order something with which to cover the bars. I'm leaving for Phoenix in a few days so ordering won't work as the stuff will deliver while I'm away, so I'll have a look 'round the shops in AZ.

Hit a snag this weekend: the nylon wheel I picked up to remove the old glue doesn't do anything at all! Could be that it's not abrasive enough, but more likely is that my cordless drill doesn't have the speed/torque necessary to do the job? Anyway, any suggestions for an effective solvent? Figure I'll do them outside if I go that way.

Anyway, that's the update for now. Going a little slowly, but at least I have all the stuff to get the tires stuck on - once I have a clean surface to stick them to

DD
I read a reference to using a butter knife. It worked well.

Old 03-02-21, 07:58 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Tires are taped and pumped up to 120psi and the bike's currently hanging on the wall. Hoping to find some Newbaum's somewhere local tomorrow so I can finish everything up.

Last night I pulled the old GdI bar out and installed the waiting CdM, so now the mechanical swaps are complete with the exception of the aforementioned tape.

Today I took the Dremel and a stainless steel (thought I'd gotten brass, but this probably worked better) brush and went to town. This is what they looked like when I started:

Using setting 3 of 10 (unfortunately my Dremel doesn't go to 11) it was short work to remove the existing crud without turning it into a melting, sticky mass:

Once done I cleaned off both wheels of residual dust, then began laying down the tape; I added the little reminders in case the tires a are ***** to remove when the time comes:

It took about an hour to get both tires centered decently, and both still display a bit of a high spot at the valve/rim interface. Don't know if it'll be noticeable from the saddle. I did have a bit of a scare when one of the backing tapes split in half and only half came out when I was satisfied with the tire's placement! Fixed that by deflating the tire, pulling at the tire at the non-taped spot and snagging hold of the edge of the backing tape. Once I got it out, I pumped up the tire, tweaked the centering one more time and then pulled the remainder of the tape out. Whew!

If I can get the bars taped before I head to AZ - and get a dry afternoon - I think I'll be able to get a test ride in. We'll see

DD
So this is what tubular tape looks like? What takes place at this point? Just put the tire on as if using glue? Or is there still a strip to pull off?

Old 03-02-21, 09:01 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
So this is what tubular tape looks like? What takes place at this point? Just put the tire on as if using glue? Or is there still a strip to pull off?
That's what it looks like in place with the backing tape in translucent red. Before setting the tire onto the rim beginning at the valve hole I pulled back about 2" of the backing tape per side, folding them over at a 90 degree angle so they'd stay in place and stick out for pulling later. Then it was just a matter of stretching the tire on, centering it best I could, and then pulling the exposed ends of the tape. Done

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-02-21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 09:04 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
One hack I learned for getting the tubs to seat at the valve stems, take 2-4 zip ties, put about 40psi in the tubs, and snug the segment down so that the glue or tape and the tire to lay in properly. Just cut them off after sitting a few hours.

It goes back to the 70’s and my first bike with tubs, hated any bumps from the Clement tires. Worth the time to do this.

Looking forward to the first ride report.👍

Bill
Thanks! A neat trick, and one I wish I'd known about - but I'll try it when I glue up the Giros onto the spare set. The gap with the Elites isn't too bad, but noticeable to me; you know what I mean

DD
Old 03-03-21, 09:35 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
Nicely done, Jeff. Love the blue Arc en Ciels. I’ll add another (late) comment in support of Veloflex for when/if the time comes. I have a set of their Roubaix tubs on the Colnago that have been going strong for about seven years now without a flat (knock on wood!). I also have a set of their Vlaanderen tubs waiting to be glued onto a GL330/Record wheelset I grabbed here a while back. It looks like you had good success with the wire wheel in the dremel to remove the old dried glue, I’ll have to give that a shot soon on the GL330s so I can get the tires mounted.

Very sad to see here the change in Veloflex’s offerings...this thread is the first I’ve seen of this as I haven’t needed to get new tires from them for quite a while.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-03-21 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 03-03-21, 10:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Rode down to Wright Bros. Cycles to pick up the bar tape this morning and got back with plenty of time to tape the bars, reinstall and adjust the brakes and then get out for a hard 20 miles - once I gained a bit of confidence in the tires!

Picked up 4 rolls of tape, then stopped for about 30 minutes at the Union Bay Natural Area to look around:

Once I was home and the Alpina was road-ready, it was off for the test ride:

I decided to add one more little bit of blue flair:

One of the better on-the-go shots I've gotten, and this time I only had to shoot once!

I have to admit, the HF hubs are freakin' gorgeous and I'm pretty happy to have them on this bike:

Shadow-selfie:

Shiny money shot:

The New Stuff:

Too early to give a final verdict on the tires. I used 120psi front and rear - the same I use with the Vittoria open tubular clinchers. The ride is very similar, although the rear felt a might bit squishier and both front and rear handled root-bumps with a fraction more aplomb - it was noticeable, but just. Very good control, and they change direction/transition into a turn about as fast as my other 25mm clincher set did (also Challenge Elites). I didn't rail anything hard - I just didn't have the confidence yet. One thing I'll say was that I was not worried at all about puncturing as even on the clinchers all my last 4 flats have been caused by internal issues with the valve or failures at spoke wells. I did note that when I stood up and pushed I could detect a funny sound from the front wheel - very likely the tape/tire interface. It sounded almost like I was running over tiny bits of gravel - I wondered it the wheel was perhaps releasing tension? I'm going to keep an ear out, see if I can't figure out what's causing the noise.

I liked the ride, and mainly because it was just over the top of being on a par with my favorite clinchers. I know the ride is a bit cushier because of tire/rim design, but it's minimal if I'm being totally honest. Regardless, this bike will stay a dedicated tubular bike and will be seeing a lot of miles this summer. After a few familiarization rides I will slowly increase the pressure and see what kinds of feedback I get from these elevated pressures.

The position felt right straight away, but I could probably do with putting a 120mm stem in there to give me a little more reach. Something to ponder...

I hope for another ride tomorrow at 125psi but it's supposed to rain

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-03-21 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-03-21, 10:35 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
My current chalice is the Rally, but in the 25 width, fits just barely in both frames/forks. I wish the Giros were still the same as in the past, I used them for several years with no issues at all. Rode them when I met up with some of the Boston folks for a ride around the Bunker Hill area one frigid day, no flats or any other troubles. The last set I tried started the same chunking off you describe almost immediately. Far too easy to puncture too, got tired of changing out for the spare just to get home.

Bill
25 rally’s did not exist when I got these tires!
I bought a case. I would have purchased 25’s if they were around.
Basically at import cost - not complaining.

Interesting that others observed Giros chunking
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-03-21, 11:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Nicely done, Jeff. Love the blue Arc en Ciels. I’ll add another (late) comment in support of Veloflex for when/if the time comes. I have a set of their Roubaix tubs on the Colnago that have been going strong for about seven years now without a flat...
Thanks! The blue has been growing on me, too

Since I'm flush with tires for now, I will simply keep an eye out for some really nice Veloflexes at a good price with the intention of trying them on one of the sets. I have to stick with 25s, too, because there is no more room for anything bigger in back - no way!

DD
Old 03-03-21, 11:42 PM
repechage

The tire is marked
5-7 atms... about 105psi...

there was a guy in my old club, got a puncture
went Bang!!!
he was running 200psi ( Clement silk DelMondo ) he bought a gauge after
before was pump them till they were hard
Old 03-04-21, 02:00 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
The tire is marked
5-7 atms... about 105psi...

there was a guy in my old club, got a puncture
went Bang!!!
he was running 200psi ( Clement silk DelMondo ) he bought a gauge after
before was pump them till they were hard
Thank you for pointing that out. Extremely surprised and a bit disappointed not to have noted that before purchasing. Surprised because I have clinchers that go up to 140psi and the old tubulars - at least the Giros - are marked at 10 atms or 140. Disappointed because geez, you'd think a 220tpi tubular could be rated at least to 120. Anyway, I just aired both of them down to zero and will pump them up (my pump has a gauge) to the required pressure - but I already know the ride's gonna suffer, particularly at the rear. Gonna feel like I'm on a pogo-stick when I let 15psi go back there.

DD
Old 03-04-21, 07:31 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
They do look good on there! The added blue is good too. beautiful bike!

WRT pressure you may not have noticed in post 94 that the pressure on the Vittoria G+ range is 115-175. I think it is because of the 320 TPI. I tried running at 110 in the beginning and found the ride OK. Granted, they are 23's, but I moved up to 135 front and 140 rear. Significant positive difference in the ride. They felt more compliant and my confidence went up. I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't know the mechanics of the tire compound other than the 4 different layers of rubber with a harder compound in the center.
Since purchasing, they have come out with a number of versions from very light to very durable.

You will probably try different pressures, Looking forward to the results

Oh warmer weather might impact the ride analysis too.
Old 03-04-21, 11:20 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SJX426
They do look good on there! The added blue is good too. beautiful bike!

WRT pressure you may not have noticed in post 94 that the pressure on the Vittoria G+ range is 115-175. I think it is because of the 320 TPI. I tried running at 110 in the beginning and found the ride OK. Granted, they are 23's, but I moved up to 135 front and 140 rear. Significant positive difference in the ride. They felt more compliant and my confidence went up. I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't know the mechanics of the tire compound other than the 4 different layers of rubber with a harder compound in the center.
Since purchasing, they have come out with a number of versions from very light to very durable.

You will probably try different pressures, Looking forward to the results

Oh warmer weather might impact the ride analysis too.
I was sure I read 115-175 for the Elites, too, so I went back to the link squirtdad provided for probikekit.com - and I've realized the doofuses sent me the wrong tires. The tires in the sale were Elite Pros, 220tpi and rated at 115-175psi; they sent me a pair of Elites at 220tpi and 75-105psi.

Great. Wonder if I can get them to fix the mistake? After all, the tires are taped on and have now been used. I only ordered from them the one time, and didn't do the whole register thing beyond the info they needed to make the sale because I hate getting notifications in my email every day after I've purchased something online. Well, I still get the notifications every day anyway!

Personally I feel ripped-off - to not send the tire that was ordered and provide two lower-quality ones instead. WTF Probikekit?

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-04-21 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-04-21, 11:40 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
Sorry for the mix up. It is always a crap shoot. Most times they get it right.
I would, at least, let them know. What does your order/invoice have on it?
Old 03-04-21, 07:25 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

My single interaction with ProBikeKit was similar. I ordered three Challenge Elite, they rang it up, and sent only one. Said by the time they were ready to ship, they'd sold out. I guess they know how to take a reservation but not how to hold a reservation.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 03-05-21, 03:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SJX426
Sorry for the mix up. It is always a crap shoot. Most times they get it right.
I would, at least, let them know. What does your order/invoice have on it?
I'm not one to keep stuff like invoices after I've safely received the goods, so I'm outta luck there. But I'll vote with my feet; some may think that harsh, but filling an order isn't rocket science.

Next I'll simply mount up one of the existing pairs and see how the 23s do. Before I yank these off I'm gonna put them back up to 120psi. Thread count and para construction is identical to the Elite Pros, after all. I wonder the reason for the lower rating all else being equal? Variance in inner tube quality?

Anyway, I'm making some tweaks again to the brakes today; decided I didn't like the squishy feel of the CLB alloy housings. Glad I saved the grey Campy housing from disassembly of the Sparrow!

DD
Old 03-05-21, 04:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
My single interaction with ProBikeKit was similar. I ordered three Challenge Elite, they rang it up, and sent only one. Said by the time they were ready to ship, they'd sold out. I guess they know how to take a reservation but not how to hold a reservation.
I'm assuming you were refunded the difference - or did they try to make you use it as "store credit"?

For now, I'll try to make these work, but I don't think I'm going to like a max of 105psi out back

DD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.