Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jamis coda 2016 hybrid 400$ is it worth it

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jamis coda 2016 hybrid 400$ is it worth it

Old 04-28-21, 09:48 AM
utku1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jamis coda sport 2016 hybrid 400$ is it worth it

She is asking 400$ Mint ( good ) condition is the price good? Is this good bike ?

Last edited by utku1985; 04-28-21 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Title wrong
Old 04-28-21, 09:56 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Is it the Coda Sport, Coda Comp, or Coda Elite? All 3 bikes are good bikes, but $400 for the base sport model seems high as that bike was a little over $500 retail 5 years ago. Now, $400 for a Coda Comp or Coda Elite might be worth it as those bikes had upgraded components, carbon fork and somewhat nicer frame than the base level Coda Sport.
Old 04-28-21, 10:03 AM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Is it the Coda Sport, Coda Comp, or Coda Elite? All 3 bikes are good bikes, but $400 for the base sport model seems high as that bike was a little over $500 retail 5 years ago. Now, $400 for a Coda Comp or Coda Elite might be worth it as those bikes had upgraded components, carbon fork and somewhat nicer frame than the base level Coda Sport.
it’s sport model
Old 04-28-21, 10:04 AM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by utku1985
it’s sport model
what’s it worth it u think for sport model also people so greedy this days because of the pandemic prices on bikes they ask too much money for everything basically I m looking for nice comfy hybrid anything u can recommend thank you
Old 04-28-21, 10:16 AM
MRT2

what’s it worth it u think for sport model also people so greedy this days because of the pandemic prices on bikes they ask too much money for everything basically I m looking for nice comfy hybrid anything u can recommend thank you
I like the Jamis Coda Sport. The current model, which is almost identical in specs is called the Coda S2, and retails for $700. So the problem is mostly just getting the seller to bring the price down, assuming the bike is mint, and in ready to ride shape, and the fit is perfect for you.

Blue book value is more a guide than anything else. In some markets the price can be higher. If this helps, I have a rule of thumb for buying used. if the amount I am spending is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a comparable new bicycle, I don;t feel too bad about buying. In this case, I might be inclined to give them a $300 take it or leave it offer and see what the seller says. i would feel better paying $200 to $250, but in a seller's market I guess I might go up a little. If the seller says no, than you have a decision to make.
Old 04-28-21, 10:30 AM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Jamis Coda Sport. The current model, which is almost identical in specs is called the Coda S2, and retails for $700. So the problem is mostly just getting the seller to bring the price down, assuming the bike is mint, and in ready to ride shape, and the fit is perfect for you.

Blue book value is more a guide than anything else. In some markets the price can be higher. If this helps, I have a rule of thumb for buying used. if the amount I am spending is 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a comparable new bicycle, I don;t feel too bad about buying. In this case, I might be inclined to give them a $300 take it or leave it offer and see what the seller says. i would feel better paying $200 to $250, but in a seller's market I guess I might go up a little. If the seller says no, than you have a decision to make.
I m 5.9 frame size medium 27.5 inch you think it’s good ? Thanks a lot for your help
Old 04-28-21, 10:35 AM
MRT2

I m 5.9 frame size medium 27.5 inch you think it’s good ? Thanks a lot for your help
Unfortunately, bikes are not universally sized, and a quick test ride is suggested, as a too small bike or a too large bike will not be good and require you to spend more money to get a good fit, or you might need to sell it and start over again. I am about 5'9" and rode a size medium Bianchi for a long time. After years of playing around with things, I finally realized the bike was too small for me, even though it should have fit me perfectly.
Old 04-28-21, 10:57 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I have the 2019 Jamis Coda Sport, the frame size is 17...I'm 5'10" and it's a perfect fit for me
The Coda series are a great value
Old 04-28-21, 01:44 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I have owned a Coda Sport since new. Fairly sure it's the 2016 model (black). It has been extremely reliable and comfortable. I've done many touring and commuting kilometres on it. I still use it for shopping (no car). No idea how to put a money value on it now.
Old 04-28-21, 02:48 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I had the Jamis Satellite Comp as my first road bike, absolutely loved that bike. Also helped a friend buy a Jamis Coda Sport in a mediocre condition for about $90, bought my brother a Jamis Commuter(it was hi-ten steel) for $70. Had opportunity to ride all of those bikes as I was helping them buy and fix them up, and loved the ride of all of them once they were all fixed up.

Jamis makes good quality steel bikes at a good price. I would personally pay $250-$300 or so for a used very mint condition Coda Sport, but with this bike shortage, not sure what valid used prices are anymore. Either way, you're probably getting a nice bike. If it fits, you like it, it's in great condition, and you can't find a bike that fits those criteria anywhere else, I'd be willing to pay the $400 that she's asking.
Old 04-28-21, 03:00 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Parkyy16
I had the Jamis Satellite Comp as my first road bike, absolutely loved that bike. Also helped a friend buy a Jamis Coda Sport in a mediocre condition for about $90, bought my brother a Jamis Commuter(it was hi-ten steel) for $70. Had opportunity to ride all of those bikes as I was helping them buy and fix them up, and loved the ride of all of them once they were all fixed up.

Jamis makes good quality steel bikes at a good price. I would personally pay $250-$300 or so for a used very mint condition Coda Sport, but with this bike shortage, not sure what valid used prices are anymore. Either way, you're probably getting a nice bike. If it fits, you like it, it's in great condition, and you can't find a bike that fits those criteria anywhere else, I'd be willing to pay the $400 that she's asking.
In a time where good affordable bikes are scarce or hard to find, there is the cost of time. This is how I talked myself into paying full retail for a bike years ago, even though I like to find a deal. It was around May, or so and i was looking for a new bike. Anyhow, the bike I was interested in, the shop said it was a popular model so no discounts and that once they sold out of that model, it wasn't likely they would get another one in that season. So if I wanted the bike to ride this year, I needed to pay what they were asking.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-28-21, 03:10 PM
Parkyy16

In a time where good affordable bikes are scarce or hard to find, there is the cost of time. This is how I talked myself into paying full retail for a bike years ago, even though I like to find a deal. It was around May, or so and i was looking for a new bike. Anyhow, the bike I was interested in, the shop said it was a popular model so no discounts and that once they sold out of that model, it wasn't likely they would get another one in that season. So if I wanted the bike to ride this year, I needed to pay what they were asking.
Absolutely. Sometimes the deal you're getting is the time that you'll be able to use the thing you're buying instead of looking for that slightly better deal.

As long as you're not overextending your budget or putting the bike on a credit card, go for it. Try to haggle down(since we do think it's a bit overpriced, maybe), but if they won't budge on price and you like it enough, get it, ride it, and enjoy it.
Likes For Parkyy16:
Old 04-28-21, 03:28 PM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I have the 2019 Jamis Coda Sport, the frame size is 17...I'm 5'10" and it's a perfect fit for me
The Coda series are a great value
I was told frame size is about 18 inches
tire size was 27.5
Old 04-28-21, 03:30 PM
MRT2

tire size was 27.5
I don't think so. Tire size is likely 700c x 32, 35 or 38.
Old 04-28-21, 05:12 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I test rode a CODA once and my main memory is that it was very comfortable. Sounds like Covid pricing. See if she'll drop it a bit, but if the bike is nice I'd take it at that price.

Let us know if you get it.
Old 04-28-21, 07:00 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
tire size was 27.5
my wheels/tires are 700x38
Old 04-28-21, 08:15 PM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevel610
I test rode a CODA once and my main memory is that it was very comfortable. Sounds like Covid pricing. See if she'll drop it a bit, but if the bike is nice I'd take it at that price.

Let us know if you get it.
I will check it out tomorrow
she has also a road bike Tomasso for cella I heard it’s a good entry level bike with full Shimano Claris drive terrain but I really don’t know if road bike will be comfy for me I never drive a road bike before if I get the coda Tom will definitely let u guys know
Old 04-30-21, 07:54 AM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nike condition but no key for the saddle not comfortable

Bike is nice but it feels frame too small for me something it wasn’t very tight not comfy guy said he doesn’t have the key for the saddle tires he is asking 400$ firm also I left it there what do u guys think is the bike with it if I get it and do upgrades ? How to know is frame is small to me ?
Old 04-30-21, 09:37 AM
Parkyy16

Bike is nice but it feels frame too small for me something it wasn’t very tight not comfy guy said he doesn’t have the key for the saddle tires he is asking 400$ firm also I left it there what do u guys think is the bike with it if I get it and do upgrades ? How to know is frame is small to me ?
If it feels too small, it's probably too small, that's all there is to it for sizing up a bike in general. You could go to the size charts they have online here, call Jamis and see what size would be correct for someone your height. Your height isn't the only thing you should base your size on, because you could have a short torso with long legs, or short legs with short torso, or etc., but for an upright bike like this, they should be able give you a very solid ball park on what size you need just based on your height.

If you want to get a more specific recommendation from them, you could provide them your "cycling inseam" or your Pubic Bone Height. You can do this to filter out potential bikes that you want to look at in person.

The "key" you're referring to is allen/hex keys, I assume. They're about $10 for a set online, not a big deal if that was the only issue, but since it doesn't feel like it fits, you should probably look for another bike. You should buy a set of METRIC allen keys, because you'll need them for any bike. I personally use the Eklind metric set, but anything other than the cheapest set should work well for a long time.
Old 04-30-21, 09:46 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
It is not unusual for people who don't know about bikes to be listing them on CL in better condition than they are. For the price he is asking the bike should be almost perfect and you should be able to adjust it to see if it fits.

Sorry it didn't work out. I would just keep looking.
Old 04-30-21, 11:43 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Parkyy16
If it feels too small, it's probably too small, that's all there is to it for sizing up a bike in general. You could go to the size charts they have online here, call Jamis and see what size would be correct for someone your height. Your height isn't the only thing you should base your size on, because you could have a short torso with long legs, or short legs with short torso, or etc., but for an upright bike like this, they should be able give you a very solid ball park on what size you need just based on your height.

If you want to get a more specific recommendation from them, you could provide them your "cycling inseam" or your Pubic Bone Height. You can do this to filter out potential bikes that you want to look at in person.

The "key" you're referring to is allen/hex keys, I assume. They're about $10 for a set online, not a big deal if that was the only issue, but since it doesn't feel like it fits, you should probably look for another bike. You should buy a set of METRIC allen keys, because you'll need them for any bike. I personally use the Eklind metric set, but anything other than the cheapest set should work well for a long time.

How should a bike fit? You should know it when you ride it. When you ride do you feel excessively stretched out or scrunched up? I am about 5'9" and rode a size medium hybrid for years thinking it was the right size when in fact it was too small. I have short legs and a long torso, relatively speaking. So I actually need somewhat longer distance from saddle to handlebar then you might think just based on my legs.

As for metric Allen keys, I have several different ones. The one I use most is this type. Mine isn't Park Tool, but the same design. https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-AWS...a-573263737372
Old 04-30-21, 11:45 AM
MRT2

I would walk away from that deal. At $400, it should be in almost new condition.
Old 05-01-21, 07:59 PM
utku1985

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would walk away from that deal. At $400, it should be in almost new condition.
thank you guys great info always what do you think about new Jamis bikes are they still Reynolds steel bikes ?
Old 05-01-21, 08:07 PM
Parkyy16

thank you guys great info always what do you think about new Jamis bikes are they still Reynolds steel bikes ?
I think their higher end steel bikes are still Reynolds, and their lower level Coda is 4130 Chromoly. Looks like none of the coda frames are hi-ten steel. Avoid the lower end Jamis Citizens as they're Hi-tensile steel frames.

Realistically, 4130 and Reynolds are not too different in ride and weight unless you get to custom bikes. Don't care too much about "brand name" steel bikes. They're all very similar except for hi-tensile steel. Even then, I've ridden some hi-ten bikes(commuter type bikes) that rode surprisingly well. They're just much heavier in my experience.