Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist buzzed by bikers on Lookout Mt, CO

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist buzzed by bikers on Lookout Mt, CO

Old 06-04-21, 07:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
I watched the video of DPD passing the cyclist. The problem is a double-edged sword. While riding two abreast, actually caused the officers' to slow down. They nearly sent the cyclist over the guardrail. OTOH, had the officers' ridden by single file. While giving the cyclist more space. They probably would have sped by the cyclist. So, It comes down to 'the lesser of two evils'.
I must be stupid today.

I don't see how "riding two abreast, actually caused the officers' (sic) to slow down", nor why "They probably would have sped by the cyclist" "had the officers' (sic) ridden by single file". Drafting, maybe??? I also don't see how buzzing a cyclist is "the lesser of two evils" with respect to passing at a safe distance but at a greater speed.
Old 06-04-21, 07:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Does it prevent or reduce the occurrence of close passes?
No, but if it happens it's no longer my word against theirs.
Old 06-04-21, 07:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I must be stupid today.

I don't see how "riding two abreast, actually caused the officers' (sic) to slow down", nor why "They probably would have sped by the cyclist" "had the officers' (sic) ridden by single file". Drafting, maybe??? I also don't see how buzzing a cyclist is "the lesser of two evils" with respect to passing at a safe distance but at a greater speed.
What I've personally determined is that a far pass at high speed is much more preferable to me than a close pass at moderate speed. A car passing me at 50 MPH at 5 or 6 feet is a lot less scary than a car passing at 3 feet at 35 MPH.
Old 06-04-21, 08:34 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
2 days ago (June 2) I took the motorbike up Lookout Mt, and just happened to encounter a cyclist in that same location as the one who got buzzed by the cops. So here is what it looks like when a motorbike does a legal pass at that location. And note that CO law measures the 3 feet from the outermost point of the vehicle, typically the mirrors, (not the car door like the reporter in the video demonstrated in post #1).

Front camera with 70 degree Field Of View (wide angle).

Rear camera with 110 degree Field Of View (ultra-wide angle).

Also note the speed limit is 20mph here, and that location is between 2 moderately tight curves.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 06-04-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 11:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
2 days ago (June 2) I took the motorbike up Lookout Mt, and just happened to encounter a cyclist in that same location as the one who got buzzed by the cops. So here is what it looks like when a motorbike does a legal pass at that location. And note that CO law measures the 3 feet from the outermost point of the vehicle, typically the mirrors, (not the car door like the reporter in the video demonstrated in post #1).

Front camera with 70 degree Field Of View (wide angle).

Rear camera with 110 degree Field Of View (ultra-wide angle).
It would be more informative to make a video passing a cyclist at 3 ft instead of 6-8 ft.
Old 06-08-21, 03:23 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I must be stupid today.

Definitely not stupid, but not analytically observant.