Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Inclined cities, impossible to cycle

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Inclined cities, impossible to cycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 04:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Many European cities were built on a hill as a defensible position. And, roads weren't made with cars in mind, or for that matter bicycles. So, some roads even have steps. So, it is often the city centers are at the top of the hill, and urban sprawl is in the valleys.

Many Italian coastal cities are also built into steep mountain sides.

Now that doesn't mean that all roads are straight up a mountain. Some are parallel to the mountain sides.

Let's see if I can remember a few random cities.

Orvieto. Walled city built on the top of a hill. Largely flat on top, but good climb up there.
Perugia. Again, a hilltop city with urban sprawl in the valley.
San Marino. A country around a walled hilltop city.
Cinque Terre. 5 small towns on Italian coast. Each built into its own section of hillside. Lots of steep areas around then.
La Spezia, Tellaro, etc. I didn't spend a lot of time in La Spezia, but many of the nearby towns are noted for steep hillside construction.
Bardi, Emiglia Romagna. Another hillside castle/village.

I'll have to think of some more. But, there are quite a few hilly communities in Italy. Many small.
Interesting quaint towns, but those aren't major population centers. Geography varies a lot in Europe. To add to your list:
(All cities I've ridden in and/or lived in)

Berlin - flat as a pancake. An excellent city for cycling, provided you are prepared for some missing cobblestones here and there.
Zurich. Steep inclines east of the river/lake - not so bad in Zuriwest and of course, very rideable along the river and lake.. But here, and in many European cities, you can always get on the tram with your bike if there's a hill you don't want to climb.
Cologne. Quite rideable
Catania. Rideable for sure.
Barcelona. Some hills but mostly rideable. so-so bike share program
Amsterdam: everybody already knows about Amsterdam.
Old 06-21-21, 04:23 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
E-bikes are a flash in the pan and I doubt that they will have much impact on bicycle commuting. They sound cool and all but there are going to be a whole lot of them just draining batteries in garages in the next few years. Like most “get people out of their cars” solutions, they sound wonderful…for the other guy. I take no joy in saying that, either but in over 40 years of commuting, I’ve never been able to convince one person to ride to work on much more than a once a year basis…on Bike-to-Work Day.
I think E-bikes have a future for families. In the past year I've seen a large increase (my perception, no data) in parents taking their kids around San Francisco in electric-assist cargo bikes. As the pandemic subsides and traffic comes back, I expect a lot of those families will continue using their cargo bikes to avoid sitting in traffic and hunting for parking. I don't know if that will lead to more cyclists (both parents and kids) in the long run, but I hope it will!
Likes For nathand:
Old 06-21-21, 04:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Seven.
Hardly counts with the mountains I rode over going from Parma to Rome and back.

The last day over Abetone was mighty harsh with over a mile of climbing, and every time I thought I was over it, it went right back up.
Old 06-21-21, 06:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I’ve told the story before, but on our honeymoon we went to Paris and Rome. Paris was a pretty easy city for a tourist to ride a bike in, except for the Montmartre area. The Velib bike share had areas that would pay you in credit to leave a bike uphill from where you started. But we saw very few bikes in Rome, and the bike share was a hoax.

We also visited Barcelona for one night. We didn’t spend much time but my impression was that it was full of mountain bikes- which suit the terrain.

San Francisco actually takes care of its transit systems and is also choc a bloc with ubers. There’s not much extra advantage to owning a bike.

Recreational bicycling is fun in SF, I lived there for a couple years. There's a lot of flat terrain in the city, there's Golden Gate Park, there's riding the coast, and of course, riding across the GG Bridge is always wonderful when it's not too foggy. And yes, you can get very good at climbing if you like.
Old 06-21-21, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Vcr11
Ive heard downtown san francisco is impossible
You heard wrong. Downtown is pretty flat. I used to have to switch from the Caltrain to BART, and the quickest way to cover the distance between them was to ride the bike across downtown. Taking the bus between the two lines took about twice as long.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-24-21, 10:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I just checked these cities in Google Maps:Duluth, Mn
Pullman, WA
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Lausanne, Switzerland
La Paz, Bolivia
Jerusalem, Nazareth, and Haifa
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Denver, CO
San Francisco
Orvieto, Italy
Perugia, Italy
San Marino, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
La Spezia, Italy
Tellaro, Italy
Bardi, Emiglia Romagna
Zurich, Switzerland

...and where Google maps allow, I looked for bike lanes and you know what?

Although these are very challenging cities, a lot of them do have bike lanes going right along the streets. Another interesting thing is that (to address bike lane critics) bike trails go through parks where the terrain is worse than the city streets.

For La Paz, Bolivia, there are no bike lanes through the city but the tourist destination is called the bike trail of death. Yup, it's a bike trail along its cliff.

So I thank you all for contributing to my study. Anybody who gives an excuse that his city can't have bike lanes because it's too hilly is just giving an excuse. I bet there are bike trails in his city going through parks. Any city can have a bicycle infrastructure if it already has major streets for cars.
Old 06-25-21, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I just checked these cities in Google Maps:Duluth, Mn
Pullman, WA
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Lausanne, Switzerland
La Paz, Bolivia
Jerusalem, Nazareth, and Haifa
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Denver, CO
San Francisco
Orvieto, Italy
Perugia, Italy
San Marino, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
La Spezia, Italy
Tellaro, Italy
Bardi, Emiglia Romagna
Zurich, Switzerland

...and where Google maps allow, I looked for bike lanes and you know what?

Although these are very challenging cities, a lot of them do have bike lanes going right along the streets. Another interesting thing is that (to address bike lane critics) bike trails go through parks where the terrain is worse than the city streets.

For La Paz, Bolivia, there are no bike lanes through the city but the tourist destination is called the bike trail of death. Yup, it's a bike trail along its cliff.

So I thank you all for contributing to my study. Anybody who gives an excuse that his city can't have bike lanes because it's too hilly is just giving an excuse. I bet there are bike trails in his city going through parks. Any city can have a bicycle infrastructure if it already has major streets for cars.

Did you just discover that mountain bikers don't avoid hills?

Bike trails and bike lanes are distantly related items.

Think you should have kept this thread "just for fun" instead of pretending it's some kind of "study".