Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 12-21-19, 11:41 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Forecasted to be raining on and off all week next week. WTF San Diego, I'm supposed to be putting in big volume! We'll see what happens - I suspect it will be a mix of trainer and some opportunistic road riding with a bit of wetness here and there. Most likely reduced volume (grrrrr).
The weather is looking better but not great.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-23-19, 08:47 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
16 this past week. 18 this coming week. In the groove, loves me some base.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 12-23-19, 01:04 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Created a DIY workout in TP to send over to my Zwift. I think I discovered how to make yourself feel like you're drowning while riding a bike! 40/20's on the TT bike.

40/20's aren't new, but some folks have much more bigly engines than me so I have to cut the reps some. I can't do sets of 13.

This is what I concocted:
-warmup
-ramp warmup to TT bike threshold
-rest
-40/20 for 8 reps
-6min rest
-40/20 for 6 reps
-6min rest
-40/20 for 5 reps
-6min rest
-40/20 for 3 reps
-95% for 2min
-last rep whatever you've got
-ramp down from 90% to finish

I did this to limit degradation of quality through the sets and workout. So, the power would stay up and the HR stay up better. Seemed to work. Mentally, it's interesting also as you can make the longest two sets early in the workout as you're fresher. Then you can tell yourself "I can do the rest of these sets because it's a couple fewer reps".

Still though, indoors with the bit of fan.....on the TT bike...........like drowning.

Going by HR, 22min of superthreshold and up. 30min of subthreshold and up. I say the workout worked out well. Just need to lower the zones for the TT bike, forgot and Zwift thought I was failing everything.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-23-19, 02:46 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
"Regeneration week" for me. Not riding is making me stircrazy and I'm only 1-day in.
Old 12-24-19, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
Happy holidays all! Crazy out there this morning - not much traffic, but motorists (and pedestrians) seemed to have no regard for driveways/intersections and were frequently cutting each other off. Despite some midweek storms, I should manage to get some volume in. Here's how things are shaping up:

M: 1 hr TT bike on trainer with 2x20 Z3 in position
T (today): 3 hrs z2, a lot of SST in the last hour
W - off - relaxing w fam
Th - 1 hr TT bike trainer, same as Monday but will experiment with slightly lower front end position - potentially my final adjustment before VoS.
F - 6+ hrs solo, z2
S - 2 hrs somehow, ride type TBD, nothing too hard
Su - 4 hrs team ride
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-24-19, 08:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I joined a local gym that just opened. And they have the new Stages bikes with the flat screen monitors. I used it today for a structured endurance workout and it was amazing. It had the best road feel for an indoor setup over anything I have at home. Power production felt about right and the effect on my physiology and recovery was about right for the effort.

Yesterday, I did a gonzo leg workout at this gym. They have a hip thrust machine that is totally cool and much better than trying to thrust a barbell up supported by ones hips. I am getting a little too beastly. I have cut back on caloric intake. The problem is that the ATP PC system just does not disappoint so it is fun to keep hitting target after target versus the aerobic system that is more unreliable.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-27-19, 09:17 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I got sick. First time since 2017? Not quite sure, but def haven't been sick in 2 years. I was able to do an hour easy yesterday so I'm hoping to get back to hard training on Monday.
Old 12-27-19, 03:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Went too hard early, didn’t eat enough. Bonk. Still 200w for 3 hrs and about 215 for 2hrs.

First ever stop at a gas station for a can of Dr Pepper and a Snickers.

Right of passage I suppose.

500 TSS so far and certainly about 100 to do Sunday. Off tomorrow, maybe a long slow spin with my boys.
Old 12-28-19, 05:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
River Ride today. Made an appearance at the front of the rotation a couple of times early on the way out but spent most of the ride solidly tucked in. Still a really good workout for me. Like motor pacing. 165tss.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-30-19, 09:32 AM
Cypress

Got roped into a group ride on Saturday at the end of my off week. Probably went too hard considering the week. Felt like ass for most of the ride, and the 34-degree sticky-wet fog didn't help anything.

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of intervals. I don't think I needed the rest week, as I had no perceived built-up fatigue and was juuuust starting to feel my fitness building when I stopped riding.
Old 12-30-19, 01:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Training Status: Tired. Hit my hours for the week and ended things suuuuper tired yesterday and Saturday. On the flip side, my legs rose to the occasion again and again and I had more to give at the end of yesterday's team ride - at the time I wanted to hammer more. Glad I didn't because I was just freakin' spent yesterday after I got home.

This week will be ~8 hrs of mostly easy pedaling exclusively on the TT bike and MTB, then back at it next week.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-30-19, 02:09 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Got a Whoop for Christmas. It will be interesting to see how it informs my training in the coming year and whether it changes things much. So far, it's building baseline metrics for me, but given the travel and holidays, it may take another week or two to really establish that.
Old 12-30-19, 04:43 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

18 last week. 20 this week. Then I rest for a few. Entirely trainer. Warm toes are great. But the trainer still sucks.

That said I still love base training. I haven't been able to do it healthy the past couple of winters so it's great to feel like I'm actually progressing again.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 12-30-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 06:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

20 hours indoors is totally bonkers... I will likely not even hit that high outdoors during my prep for 2020 road (Feb-May for me)
Old 12-30-19, 06:33 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

The knee that was borked last fall gets finicky when it is under 40ish out, so I'm being safe. Smart trainer is a legit game changer!
Old 12-30-19, 09:09 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I joined a local gym that just opened. And they have the new Stages bikes with the flat screen monitors. I used it today for a structured endurance workout and it was amazing. It had the best road feel for an indoor setup over anything I have at home. Power production felt about right and the effect on my physiology and recovery was about right for the effort.

Yesterday, I did a gonzo leg workout at this gym. They have a hip thrust machine that is totally cool and much better than trying to thrust a barbell up supported by ones hips. I am getting a little too beastly. I have cut back on caloric intake. The problem is that the ATP PC system just does not disappoint so it is fun to keep hitting target after target versus the aerobic system that is more unreliable.
Aint that right, it's a drug. Like those stupid little phone games that give you a shiny reward if you play just a little longer. I got slow. Very, very, slow. But I can lift big rocks when I'm camping. #goals

Thinking about starting up serious riding again when I have some more time towards the end of 2020 but I'm afraid of losing my gym gainz. I'm racing my brother to be the first to lift 500 lbs. Maybe after I win, lift once a week and try and get my cardio back on. Once a week enough to keep strength?
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 12-30-19, 09:14 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Back from Maui.

We drove the fondo course to see the terrain. It reminded us of a combination of New Zealand and Tahiti where parts of the road was steep and very punchy climbing to long stretches of road right along the ocean similar to some islands in Tahiti. The rugged terrain is hard cycling and requires an A game both in fitness and skill. This is a pic from the hilly stretch the day before the real wind came and it is very windy. My wife is too light to ride in really windy conditions as she can be blown off the road.

I am looking a little beastly in this pic. I am taking a play out of the @Doge junior's playbook and bulking up in the gym to slim down later...maybe. What is interesting is that I have a lot of power right now and endurance is not bad. We will see.

This was pretty funny. The bike shop names their bikes.

Love Maui. Where'd you ride? Did you go to the shop in Paia? I've rented there a couple times, really friendly. They even have a shower to rinse off after a big ride!
Old 12-31-19, 09:49 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

aaronmcd We stayed at Marriott Vacation Club in Kaanapali that is on the beach. We rented from a Specialized bike shop a couple of miles south. The shop guys were great and a good selection of bikes in all sizes. I do not think they had a shower.

We rode part of the
loop around the northern part of the island. We had a lot of wind during our stay so we rode after the wind died down and this was sort of a recovery week so only one ride. My wife likes to turn every vacation into a gonzo cycling train camp but even she was somewhat mellow which was shocking. She did run and lift weights. I did strength training but no running.
Old 12-31-19, 10:19 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Aint that right, it's a drug. Like those stupid little phone games that give you a shiny reward if you play just a little longer. I got slow. Very, very, slow. But I can lift big rocks when I'm camping. #goals

Thinking about starting up serious riding again when I have some more time towards the end of 2020 but I'm afraid of losing my gym gainz. I'm racing my brother to be the first to lift 500 lbs. Maybe after I win, lift once a week and try and get my cardio back on. Once a week enough to keep strength?
I think once a week is pretty good coupled with cycling. You may see your max 1 rep decline a bit but you will be so far ahead of the strength game it does not matter. If your strength seems to be declining, and it bothers you, then you can decide if you want to add back workouts.
Old 12-31-19, 11:44 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

aaronmcd if/when you come back, I recommend trying a different discipline as well for racing. Rising through the ranks and learning a new craft could be funner than returning to road and having the bar be so high from when you were really into road.
Old 12-31-19, 11:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I went on my ceremonial NYE mtb ride this morning, nothing crazy, bout 75 min with a couple short steep climbs at Mission Trails.
Old 12-31-19, 12:23 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
define keep

you know the answer to this.

if you ride 7 days a week at a high level can you go to 1 day and keep the same edge? of course not. Is riding one day a week better than none? sure.

Same with strength work. The problem I see, as others, is trying to serve to contradictory mistresses. Not a lot of folks are doing road races successfully and 'lifting 500 pounds.' Track sprint events are another animal.

I walked away from hardcore lifting probably before aaron was born. But I lifted pretty seriously in ways that complimented whatever my main sporting interest was at a given time. When I was rock climbing I did loads of crazy pullups and traverses around the gym. As a cyclist I did lots of fast movements from exercise to exercise until I was a sweaty ball of bubbling crud on the floor. It's easy to become middling at a lot of stuff (look at most tri folks). There's nothing wrong with it. One just has to decide what they want. But if you're going to do that, and lament your inability to excel at any particular thing you're setting yourself up for much sadness.
Old 01-01-20, 06:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I closed out the year with a Fiesta workout. 30on/30 off and 2x2' efforts. I am going to the track on Thursday for my first structured workout with my coach for 2020.
Old 01-02-20, 09:47 AM
Cypress

Got off of work Tuesday and did a Sweet Spot workout with 200% jumps. Slept poorly that night, then was back on the bike doing 3x10 95% Sweet Spots at 10 am. I was pretty wiped by the time I finished the final interval.

Anybody have tips on how to sleep better? Melatonin leaves me a little foggy in the morning, and diphenhydramine is even worse. Seems like good sleep is getting harder and harder to come by as I get older.
Old 01-02-20, 09:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Read Why We Sleep by Mathew Walker. https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Sleep-...s%2C211&sr=8-3

He discusses all aspects of sleep and dreams with ideas on how to fall asleep and get better sleep. I cannot begin to do it as well as he does. Companies and pro sports teams are hiring him for consulting advice for impact of sleep on performance and how to improve operations and training to improve sleep quality.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.