Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 09:51 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I had a similar issue recently. My Praxis conversion BB was squeaking/creaking. I removed and re-installed it twice, no dice. Ordered a new BB. While waiting for the BB to get here, I swapped out the new Look Kéo Max pedals and the noise went away. Now I'm waiting for the warranty replacement pedals.
Originally Posted by Ygduf
every time I think it's the BB/pedal/spider/chainrings creaking it's always been the skewers and or hub bearings coming loose.

I am moving to internal-cam skewers on all my bikes now.
Ran through all the other options before going the loctite route. Different pedals, different wheels, new hanger, different crankset, reset headset, etc.

The only time I'd get a quiet ride was the 30 miles or so after re-installing the BB. First ride last night with the loctite was quiet, but was only 30 miles. I'll uncross my fingers after a few hundred more miles of silence
Old 04-04-18, 09:57 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I hate creaky noises on a bike. It drives me nuts.
Same. If this last effort doesn't cure the creaks, I'll likely get a different bike.
Old 04-04-18, 10:22 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I hate creaky noises on a bike. It drives me nuts.
last time I had noise I stopped to adjust the skewer like 20 times but couldn't get it right. Was the hub bearings having worked their way like .00001 mm out.
Old 04-04-18, 07:07 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I have a cannondale with oldschool bb30. Creaks are just a part of my life now.

ALthough the new bougie bb / derailleur pulleys are nice and aren't making too much noise yet.
Old 04-05-18, 01:26 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
my front shifting has been a little off lately (having to really swing the lever) still have to fiddle with the cable, but when messing with the shifter the other day with the cable unhooked, it didn't feel like the shifter was really clicking through, so it might need a good internal cleaning/relubing. But I might just be trying to think of a good excuse to upgrade the 8 speed to 10 speed, which is an idea that enters my mind periodically, especially since I have 11 speed on my cx bike

i have messed with the fit a bit, in August the fitter put my 120mm stem at +17 degrees, and I flipped it to -17 and did Saturday's race and a casual ride outside the other day with no real discomfort (I had just been riding indoors previously but I find my indoor and outdoor riding feels totally different). Hoping it sticks
Old 04-05-18, 01:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I've been dealing with a creaky/ticky bottom bracket as well. Using GXP on a BB30 Tarmac. Tried wheels mfg outboard BB and a Praxis Conversion BB. Both click. Last ditch effort was made last night buying a new wheels mfg and installing it with loctite to keep things tight.
How long on each? Mike's installed a Wheels Manuf. adapter sleeve on my Quarq and it was good for a season and a half, then started creaking like a rocking chair. Just installed a Praxis 2 weeks ago and it's been dead quiet (and a lot less drag, even better).
Old 04-05-18, 06:18 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Some new racer tech! (yes, it's a bit of a brag, but it's sooooooo sexy)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-05-18, 08:12 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How long on each? Mike's installed a Wheels Manuf. adapter sleeve on my Quarq and it was good for a season and a half, then started creaking like a rocking chair. Just installed a Praxis 2 weeks ago and it's been dead quiet (and a lot less drag, even better).
I'd guess about half a season for each.
Old 04-05-18, 08:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

The new tarmac is so good looking. Just needs disc brakes!
Old 04-06-18, 06:03 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
After buying a Tacx Neo that put me at 4 power measurement devices in my household. Since I got the Direto in February, it was a tad high but I didn't worry too much about it; my power was good on the road too. What I can do against my peers in group rides is maybe the best its ever been.

I use the CX bike on the Direto that has a Stages and they were close; within 5 watts or so. However, after getting my Neo this week it was noticeably low. So I ran some tests in a wattage comparison app and using 215 watts as a low base its close to this:

Neo = 215w (just purchased)
Vectors = 218w (used outdoors)
Stages = 230w (used on Direto)
Direto = 235w (used indoors )

Is this important? Yes and No; on the high end it puts me at 4.3 w/kg ftp, on the low end 4 w/kg. With State TT's 7 weeks away the former was giving the hope I had a chance to stand on top of the podium (it depends who shows, as always). For other races, I'd gladly trade in that .3 w/kg for legit bike handling skills (but that's for another post). Anyway, on to finding what's accurate;

After researching the best way to find a which one is accurate, I decided on the Vector Power Meter Advanced Torque Test below. My other option was to have someone with an SRM try out the Smart Trainers (which maybe I'll still do).

I followed the test protocols, and like any great mathematician, I showed my work:

Mass (kg) 29.4 lb = 13.33562 kg
Gravity = 9.81
Length (m) 170mm = .170m

Mass * Gravity * Length = 22.239813474 (expected result)

Left test = 22.22, 22.22, 22.25 (22.23 avg) Spot on!
Right test = 22.04, 21.91, 22.08 (22.01 avg) Close Enough?

After that I'm more or less happy with my Vectors; I believe that should put me within 1% on the right (I used an online calculator, got lazy)!

Tough pill to swallow, but I suck again. The good thing is I now have a baseline and I believe the Tacx Neo is spot on as well and the drive train contributes to the small loss. As for the Direto that's going to my wife, which the extra watts may help if we ride together in Zwift (I'll probably put in a ticket to Elite).
Old 04-06-18, 06:11 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
You and your disk brakes can get off my lawn
Old 04-06-18, 09:18 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
Some new racer tech! (yes, it's a bit of a brag, but it's sooooooo sexy)

[IMG][/IMG]
I like it!

Makes me want to get a new bike.. even though I already have a Tarmac. But it's showing it's age.

my race videos
Old 04-06-18, 11:13 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
The 15-16s were talking about yaw of the VOS cross winds. I told them if they just went 30 or so the yaw would always be within the ideal angle for the rims.

I got weird stares (I am used to that).

Many kids don't understand the yaw is the resultant vector of the wind and the velocity of the bike vectors.

Wind tunnels have the bike at an angle for yaw.
Are there any tunnels that turn the bike into (reduce yaw) as power goes up? I don't know if it is needed, but that is closer to the real effect of speed and yaw.
No. The point of the tunnel is to model static wind angles. They produce data. It is up to the rider to turn that into information useful on course.

You can have the tunnels run at different wind speeds. Sometimes that is valuable.
Old 04-06-18, 11:20 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
After buying a Tacx Neo that put me at 4 power measurement devices in my household. Since I got the Direto in February, it was a tad high but I didn't worry too much about it; my power was good on the road too. What I can do against my peers in group rides is maybe the best its ever been.

I use the CX bike on the Direto that has a Stages and they were close; within 5 watts or so. However, after getting my Neo this week it was noticeably low. So I ran some tests in a wattage comparison app and using 215 watts as a low base its close to this:

Neo = 215w (just purchased)
Vectors = 218w (used outdoors)
Stages = 230w (used on Direto)
Direto = 235w (used indoors )

Is this important? Yes and No; on the high end it puts me at 4.3 w/kg ftp, on the low end 4 w/kg. With State TT's 7 weeks away the former was giving the hope I had a chance to stand on top of the podium (it depends who shows, as always). For other races, I'd gladly trade in that .3 w/kg for legit bike handling skills (but that's for another post). Anyway, on to finding what's accurate;

After researching the best way to find a which one is accurate, I decided on the Vector Power Meter Advanced Torque Test below. My other option was to have someone with an SRM try out the Smart Trainers (which maybe I'll still do).

I followed the test protocols, and like any great mathematician, I showed my work:

Mass (kg) 29.4 lb = 13.33562 kg
Gravity = 9.81
Length (m) 170mm = .170m

Mass * Gravity * Length = 22.239813474 (expected result)

Left test = 22.22, 22.22, 22.25 (22.23 avg) Spot on!
Right test = 22.04, 21.91, 22.08 (22.01 avg) Close Enough?

After that I'm more or less happy with my Vectors; I believe that should put me within 1% on the right (I used an online calculator, got lazy)!

Tough pill to swallow, but I suck again. The good thing is I now have a baseline and I believe the Tacx Neo is spot on as well and the drive train contributes to the small loss. As for the Direto that's going to my wife, which the extra watts may help if we ride together in Zwift (I'll probably put in a ticket to Elite).
What is your goal? Are you trying to prove the vectors are accurate or consistent?

Looks like you are basically testing the slope.

Ideally you want a larger mass (larger will yield lower error) and to know the mass quite precisely. Error should be on the order of 1/10,000th of what is being measured. (E.g. 2g on 20kg)

It actually matters when doing static tests for setting slope.
Old 04-06-18, 11:27 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The goal was to be lighter and more aero, not heavier and slower. ;-)
Old 04-07-18, 06:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Specialized released a disc version, so you can get it if you want it.
Old 04-07-18, 01:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by tetonrider
The goal was to be lighter and more aero, not heavier and slower. ;-)
Big-S claims it's the same aero as the original venge or the new tarmac rim brakes. And we've seen data that suggests disc specific wheels are more slippery than rim brake wheels. The weight of the frame is the same, albeit the disc gruppo will weigh more and I suppose the caliper may or may not create a bit more drag, but is it offset by the wheels?

Just playing devil's advocate here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about what bike is best and what data they want to look at!
Old 04-07-18, 08:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
What is your goal? Are you trying to prove the vectors are accurate or consistent?

Looks like you are basically testing the slope.

Ideally you want a larger mass (larger will yield lower error) and to know the mass quite precisely. Error should be on the order of 1/10,000th of what is being measured. (E.g. 2g on 20kg)

It actually matters when doing static tests for setting slope.
More accuracy, but consistency as well. From riding them for years I don't feel they're inconsistent. With 2 power meters averaging 300w and 2 power meters averaging 280w I just wanted to know where I was at.

Unfortunately I don't quite have that accurate a scale, it seemed close enough to confirm that power meter was the accurate one.
Old 04-07-18, 11:07 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big-S claims it's the same aero as the original venge or the new tarmac rim brakes. And we've seen data that suggests disc specific wheels are more slippery than rim brake wheels. The weight of the frame is the same, albeit the disc gruppo will weigh more and I suppose the caliper may or may not create a bit more drag, but is it offset by the wheels?

Just playing devil's advocate here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about what bike is best and what data they want to look at!
I agree with the first part, but data is data.

The rim brake version was as aero as the original Venge. At this point disc calipers and rotors increase drag. That may change in the future (though I suspect it may never be true at zero yaw).

Disc groups are heavier, and IME for equivalent bikes the disc brake fork is heavier than the rim braking equivalent.

So far we are not seeing anything materially different as far as aerodynamics of disc-specific rims. Truthfully I don’t know if the rim brake track was much of a hindrance.

However one cuts it, the Tarmac disc is both heavier and less aero than the rim take SL6.

One may PREFER the disc brake version, of course, but it won’t be for those two traits.
Old 04-07-18, 11:15 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
More accuracy, but consistency as well. From riding them for years I don't feel they're inconsistent. With 2 power meters averaging 300w and 2 power meters averaging 280w I just wanted to know where I was at.

Unfortunately I don't quite have that accurate a scale, it seemed close enough to confirm that power meter was the accurate one.
How accurate is your scale?

If you’re talking about a bathroom scale they are often +/-0.2# (even if they read out to the tenth). May want to check what that does to your calculations esp if it is the worst case.

Your weight could be 29.15# or 29.64# but register 29.4.

I appreciate your experiment.

An accurate static measurement is one step toward an accurate meter, though it doesn’t guarantee the meter is accurate over a variety of scenarios. For example, we know with some enters (Stages) the accuracy can and does vary with cadence and rate of change of cadence.
Old 04-08-18, 07:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I agree with the first part, but data is data.

The rim brake version was as aero as the original Venge. At this point disc calipers and rotors increase drag. That may change in the future (though I suspect it may never be true at zero yaw).

Disc groups are heavier, and IME for equivalent bikes the disc brake fork is heavier than the rim braking equivalent.

So far we are not seeing anything materially different as far as aerodynamics of disc-specific rims. Truthfully I don’t know if the rim brake track was much of a hindrance.

However one cuts it, the Tarmac disc is both heavier and less aero than the rim take SL6.

One may PREFER the disc brake version, of course, but it won’t be for those two traits.
This debate will continue to rage on in every corner of the internet and in every group ride. I'm not super passionate about it, just enjoy the debate as my previous boss was so adamantly against discs it made me rebel in spite. I've pretty much made up my mind about format for my next bike at this point. Unless, of course, big S wants to an allez sprint with disc brakes. Or someone wants to do an aero frameset in alloy with discs. Then it'd be that.

Graph below from Slowtwitch(https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Disc...Drag_6073.html) and seems to be cross checked by the Spec windtunnel guys for drag (they claim no difference at 0*, 8s over 40k in a crosswind).

Regarding weight, yes it is heavier. (you could always use crazy light rotors. https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/11/18...-brake-rotors/) ((PPS, don't do this.)

Regarding rims; I thought I had seen data to back my claim up, but upon trying to find it again, I was unable. I'll cede that point until I can find the graphs.

Old 04-09-18, 06:27 AM
topflightpro

I think in a few years, it will be very difficult to find a road frame without disc brakes.

The industry wants to move that way.
Old 04-09-18, 07:28 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I'm going down with the rim brake ship lol I have my $250 powertap wheel and I got what I think is an awesome deal on my new cross bike ($700 for 11speed sram), probably because it has canti brakes
Old 04-09-18, 09:47 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Said it a few weeks ago, but here is the first 12 speed road grouppo. Some new stuff going on there. Direct mount derailleur, campy direct mount rim brakes and 12 speed that is compatible without new wheels. Also their new wheels are pretty rad looking too. https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...train-details/ Also I'm expecting more news from sea otter this year, but we shall see.

Last edited by Ttoc6; 04-09-18 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Road
Old 04-10-18, 06:34 AM
topflightpro

I'm going to stick with 10-speed until we get to 14-speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.