Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Revisiting Specialized Future Shock issues

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Revisiting Specialized Future Shock issues

Old 06-07-19, 07:40 PM
eflayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
for my bike and my ears this was the ANSWER!

Originally Posted by eflayer
somewhere else it was suggested that i isolate the headset cover cap from what is above it and what is below it. i made three "o-rings" or rubber bands by cutting a bike inner tube crossways. i stretched one over the circumference of the FS above the funny cap, one below the funny cap, and one under my three spacers. now each is isolated from what's above it and below it. will remove the tape on the rubber boot and give the new idea a shot on our crap roads tomorrow.
I think I finally nailed the solution to the rattle problem.
Old 06-08-19, 01:57 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Just wanted to add something that many/most people dont know about suspension. rockshox and fox forks have about 25-50h service intervals! yeah.

So how much longer will this one have in reality? I kinda doubt its better than the stuff that rockshox and fox makes if you know what i mean.
Old 06-09-19, 07:00 PM
eflayer

The shock was not the problem. The problem was play in the stack around the shock. I basically put rubber bands in places within the stack that were vibrating and creating the rattle. Think there are thousands of Future Shock bikes on the road and very few failures or issues with wearing out.
Old 06-12-19, 08:57 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Roubaix owner here, 2017 model. My future shock is noisy AF and gets commented on during rides a lot. Rattles constantly on our crap roads here.
Old 06-12-19, 04:08 PM
eflayer

is it the shock or simply play in the stack?

mine was play in the stack that i solved as mentioned above. no more rattles, none!

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Roubaix owner here, 2017 model. My future shock is noisy AF and gets commented on during rides a lot. Rattles constantly on our crap roads here.
Old 06-15-19, 11:37 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i have no idea why any person in the entire world would choose such a system if given a choice. plz tell me why?

and as we all know, we adjust comfort with tire pressure/volume. whats more to understand here??

I can tell you that i simply gave away my rock shox fork to a friend in like 2009. it sucked so much a55 it was unbelievable. and i simply had to remove it from the bike and replace it with a steel salsa fork. no regrets there. bike ran great after the swap. my father actually runs this bike now. in 2019. with the same frame/fork. i guess solid steel dont really wear our.
Old 06-15-19, 05:20 PM
eflayer

i have been through half a hundred bikes in the last 15 years

Now that I have quieted the Future Shock on my Roubaix I do believe it is the most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden. I am 68, have thumb joint issues, and ride crap roads in Sonoma County CA. This is a great all around bike for fast club rides and stand up out of the saddle climbing.

It now has Rol Range 21 aluminum disc wheels with 27mm wide rims with 28mm Conti 4000 ii tires that measure 33mm wide when mounted. The combo of FS, fat tires, lower pressure, and CGR seatpost all add up to being pretty darn great. Go fast too.

I will admit there is a lot going on in that steering shock system but I am confident it will last and be just fine. I am good with it. I do question the rattle and why on my bike, but it's fixed and all good now.

[QUOTE=carlos danger;20980276]lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i ha21

Last edited by eflayer; 06-15-19 at 10:14 PM.
Likes For eflayer:
Old 06-15-19, 07:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
lets just say that you, the user, will have to do a lot more to keep such a system running than a simple rigid fork!! a lot more. i have no idea why any person in the entire world would choose such a system if given a choice. plz tell me why?

and as we all know, we adjust comfort with tire pressure/volume. whats more to understand here??

I can tell you that i simply gave away my rock shox fork to a friend in like 2009. it sucked so much a55 it was unbelievable. and i simply had to remove it from the bike and replace it with a steel salsa fork. no regrets there. bike ran great after the swap. my father actually runs this bike now. in 2019. with the same frame/fork. i guess solid steel dont really wear our.
121.11 miles on my 2018 Roubaix Expert today and with the combo of FS + tire pressure adjustment the miles were wonderfully comfortable. It's a keeper.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-15-19, 09:53 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The older Roubaix work great with an Ergon CF3. Happy hands and butt make for fast and long rides.
Old 06-16-19, 09:03 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Now that I have quieted the Future Shock on my Roubaix I do believe it is the most comfortable road bike I have ever ridden. I am 68, have thumb joint issues, and ride crap roads in Sonoma County CA. This is a great all around bike for fast club rides and stand up out of the saddle climbing.

It now has Rol Range 21 aluminum disc wheels with 27mm wide rims with 28mm Conti 4000 ii tires that measure 33mm wide when mounted. The combo of FS, fat tires, lower pressure, and CGR seatpost all add up to being pretty darn great. Go fast too.

I will admit there is a lot going on in that steering shock system but I am confident it will last and be just fine. I am good with it. I do question the rattle and why on my bike, but it's fixed and all good now.
Yep. I'm a flat-bar road bike person, but I'm confident my new Sirrus (X Comp) will prove out the same once I get it sorted (tires etc.). Initial impressions are very good; the FS definitely works as advertised. I do have some noise, not so much rattles as a distinct 'click' whenever the spring compresses past a certain point, but again I've no doubt this will be remedied.

Bike replaces a '10 Sirrus that has been an excellent bike, but I'm (now) 67 going on 68 and with some health issues that are exacerbated by jarring/vibration. I didn't want to use anything wider/heavier/lower pressure than a 32mm road tire to deal with road shock, so the FS seemed the way to go.
Old 06-16-19, 09:19 AM
eflayer

my bet is

what i have been calling a rattle is what you are calling a click. consider that the headset cover is sitting on top of metal underneath and if you have spacers they are jostling against the metal ring either at the top or bottom of the rubber FS boot. let me know if you need more details...or if in fact your problem is different.

Originally Posted by badger1
Yep. I'm a flat-bar road bike person, but I'm confident my new Sirrus (X Comp) will prove out the same once I get it sorted (tires etc.). Initial impressions are very good; the FS definitely works as advertised. I do have some noise, not so much rattles as a distinct 'click' whenever the spring compresses past a certain point, but again I've no doubt this will be remedied.

Bike replaces a '10 Sirrus that has been an excellent bike, but I'm (now) 67 going on 68 and with some health issues that are exacerbated by jarring/vibration. I didn't want to use anything wider/heavier/lower pressure than a 32mm road tire to deal with road shock, so the FS seemed the way to go.
Old 08-26-19, 02:26 PM
TimmyR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question regarding compatible stems. It looks like any stem will work ('19 Diverge Comp for me) but I am finding that not to be the case. Specialized told me the Comp Multi was not compatible but I've seen elsewhere that it is. I am looking for shorter stem (OEM is 110mm/6 deg) with a little more rise. My target is a 90mm with 10-12 degrees. Is any stem compatible provided you can get a stem cap with a flat bottom? I am looking get a little more height on the bars and bring them in a bit.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-19, 02:12 AM
AdamRoubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I finally nailed the solution to the rattle problem.
@eflayer, do you see any chance to post a pic about this final solution, as I am having a hard time visualizing it.
I picked up my 2018 Roubaix a few days ago, and the rattle from around the FS, stem, front area is driving me crazy.
Old 10-15-19, 09:21 AM
eflayer

info on this topic

Granted the Multi Stem when installed does ideally work best with the top cap that is included. And the way the Future Shock is installed means it does work best with "standard" stems and not the the multi-stem due to the built in slant of the multi stem. But the original top cap on your bike is only for cosmetic purposes and does nothing mechanically for operating the bike safely. I have installed a multi stem on my Roubaix and simply used the original top cap with a bit of gap between the cap and top of the stem.

On the other hand there are many normal stems with more rise than your original.

Or if you need some adjustment, this Ritchey works great:

https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-16053...a-330938106430

Originally Posted by TimmyR
Question regarding compatible stems. It looks like any stem will work ('19 Diverge Comp for me) but I am finding that not to be the case. Specialized told me the Comp Multi was not compatible but I've seen elsewhere that it is. I am looking for shorter stem (OEM is 110mm/6 deg) with a little more rise. My target is a 90mm with 10-12 degrees. Is any stem compatible provided you can get a stem cap with a flat bottom? I am looking get a little more height on the bars and bring them in a bit.

Thanks.
Likes For eflayer:
Old 11-13-19, 04:30 PM
bikera

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$330 For an FS Cartridge?!

Originally Posted by sirkaos
...I bought a spare FS to swap out at the "500 hour " service interval. At the time, they were $80. Not to bad....
I've ridden my '18 Roubaix for about 300hrs. and figured it might be a good idea to get a spare FS cartridge given that the 1.0 version is not what's used on the latest Roubaix (and who knows how long Specialized will have these available). However, unlike the $55 cost I originally read about and the $85 noted above, my LBS quoted me $330 (which they said came directly from Specialized). Has anyone else recently attempted to buy one of these and what was the cost?

Last edited by bikera; 11-13-19 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-22-20, 12:03 PM
Kevin12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roubaix rattle

Originally Posted by sjh953
Thanks for the photo. (It's not what I was visualizing, so seeing it action is all I needed.)

As an aside: When I first started riding the Roubaix, and was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from, the theory I eventually settled on was that the replaceable spring was, when compressing quickly, hitting the side of the chamber in which it's housed. Like you, I switched to the softest spring. My guess was that instead of compressing in a straight line up and down, the spring was deforming to the side, in a ")" shape, and noisily bouncing against the walls. I never got around to doing anything about it, but my thought was maybe adding some thin, softer material around the inside of the chamber between the spring and housing.

Have you quizzed any of the other Roubaix riders in your group to see if there is a link between the spring used and whether there is a noise or not? I wonder if using the stiffer spring eliminates the noise, as per my "theory".
Hi i found the rattle its the other end of the shock water gets in and there are pins around a plastic case that roll up and down around another spring at the other end this spring rust up and the pins fall off the plastic case into the casing allowing the pins to rattle around your shock im pretty sure this is why they have now upgraded them hope this helps solve your.mystery rattling
Old 01-22-20, 05:18 PM
sjh953

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Kevin12 -- I eventually 'solved' the noise issue by just removing the replaceable spring altogether. The bike rides quietly now, and since most of my miles are on fairly smooth roads, I don't really need the full damping. When I do ride on rougher roads, the Roubaix is still much nicer than the Secteur I used before.

The Secteur (2010) is now my wet weather bike. The Roubaix has never been ridden in the rain, or had water anywhere near the FS components. I still think it's sub-par engineering, but I'm basically happy with the bike, especially since I switched out the wheels for tubeless and Conti 5000 TL tires. That change, plus the FS, makes the bike very nice to ride.
Old 03-26-20, 07:33 PM
schulz46
Old Timer 46

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Tarmac & 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good
I had a noisy shock on my 2019 Roubaix Comp and think it may that the spring was not seated... Anybody run into that?

Last edited by schulz46; 03-30-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-17-20, 01:31 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
This has been a useful thread to follow, as the owner of a 2018 Diverge and 2019 Roubaix. My Roubaix (FS 1.5) was silent for a few hundred miles before eventually developing the familiar clicking noise that my Diverge was quicker to develop. I don't really care on the Diverge, but I'm fully OCD about noise on my road bikes.

I've tried everything in this thread to silence the FS 1.5 on my Roubaix to no avail. First tried reassembling everything to torque, with grease and assembly paste in the prescribed places. Then tried the rubber o-ring route, swapping springs, more grease in the spring cylinder, then finally took it to the shop. Nothing.

Then of course I uncovered the whole FS 2.0 reverse-compatibility controversy, with half the internet believing a story from their LBS or from Specialized that it either can't be fit at all (clearly not true) or that it's only "cosmetically" compatible but will surely explode eventually. I read one case where someone thinks they received a 2.0 by accident and the LBS did the work and seems okay with it and no issues so far, and another where someone went through many 1.5s before finally getting a 2.0 and enjoying a silent ride. Hope...

So, to the LBS I went, asking them to order a FS 2.0 and expecting to get runaround or some compatibility story. To my surprise, they were glad to request one, and Specialized was more or less happy to send one. The caveat: it voids the warranty and sets you back $617. Ouch. Using the justification that I'm already near the 500 hour service interval anyways, I decided to go for it in hopes of taking care of the noise issue.

I'll make sure to give an update after the install and first few rides.
Old 04-17-20, 08:27 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
This has been a useful thread to follow, as the owner of a 2018 Diverge and 2019 Roubaix. My Roubaix (FS 1.5) was silent for a few hundred miles before eventually developing the familiar clicking noise that my Diverge was quicker to develop. I don't really care on the Diverge, but I'm fully OCD about noise on my road bikes.

I've tried everything in this thread to silence the FS 1.5 on my Roubaix to no avail. First tried reassembling everything to torque, with grease and assembly paste in the prescribed places. Then tried the rubber o-ring route, swapping springs, more grease in the spring cylinder, then finally took it to the shop. Nothing.

Then of course I uncovered the whole FS 2.0 reverse-compatibility controversy, with half the internet believing a story from their LBS or from Specialized that it either can't be fit at all (clearly not true) or that it's only "cosmetically" compatible but will surely explode eventually. I read one case where someone thinks they received a 2.0 by accident and the LBS did the work and seems okay with it and no issues so far, and another where someone went through many 1.5s before finally getting a 2.0 and enjoying a silent ride. Hope...

So, to the LBS I went, asking them to order a FS 2.0 and expecting to get runaround or some compatibility story. To my surprise, they were glad to request one, and Specialized was more or less happy to send one. The caveat: it voids the warranty and sets you back $617. Ouch. Using the justification that I'm already near the 500 hour service interval anyways, I decided to go for it in hopes of taking care of the noise issue.

I'll make sure to give an update after the install and first few rides.
Please do let us know how it turns out. I was one of the ones that got the runaround from my LBS, who said Specialized said it wasn't possible to change from a 1.5 to a 2.0. Someone on here mentioned they thought Specialized would eventually change their tune about it when the parts became more plentiful. Maybe that's what has happened.
Old 04-17-20, 09:17 PM
badger1

I had a defective FS 1.0 (not 1.5) replaced with a FS 2.0 under warranty. This was back in September last year.

Still smooth as buttah, quiet as a mouse, and the front end of my bike has yet to asplode.
Old 04-18-20, 12:55 AM
schulz46
Old Timer 46

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Tarmac & 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
I had a defective FS 1.0 (not 1.5) replaced with a FS 2.0 under warranty. This was back in September last year.

Still smooth as buttah, quiet as a mouse, and the front end of my bike has yet to asplode.
How much did the FS 2.0 set you back?
Old 04-18-20, 06:51 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by schulz46
How much did the FS 2.0 set you back?
Warranty. $0.
Old 05-14-20, 10:02 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Please do let us know how it turns out. I was one of the ones that got the runaround from my LBS, who said Specialized said it wasn't possible to change from a 1.5 to a 2.0. Someone on here mentioned they thought Specialized would eventually change their tune about it when the parts became more plentiful. Maybe that's what has happened.
Alright, so I finally got the install done and have only had an opportunity to do a little neighborhood spin. The verdict: Near silence on even the roughest roads when the FS 2.0 is fully locked out, same familiar rattle when the FS is open, seemingly louder the softer the setting. I haven't had a chance to put in any real work yet, but I'll update after I do. So, yeah - I'm glad that I have the option of having a quiet locked-out ride and know I can deploy the FS when comfort trumps OCD over noise. A bit disappointed that it's not the perfect solution I'd hoped for.
Old 05-16-20, 07:38 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
Alright, so I finally got the install done and have only had an opportunity to do a little neighborhood spin. The verdict: Near silence on even the roughest roads when the FS 2.0 is fully locked out, same familiar rattle when the FS is open, seemingly louder the softer the setting. I haven't had a chance to put in any real work yet, but I'll update after I do. So, yeah - I'm glad that I have the option of having a quiet locked-out ride and know I can deploy the FS when comfort trumps OCD over noise. A bit disappointed that it's not the perfect solution I'd hoped for.
Thanks for the update. And good to know that that part is available to purchase even at that inflated price. Curious if you did the install or had them do it? I've had mine out to look it over and check the headset bearings. It's not hard to remove/install.

Interestingly enough, I have a 2018 Roubaix comp that has had zero issues with the future shock. It's quiet, smooth, and works well.

My 2019 Diverge was the exact opposite. It always felt rough in operation, had a bad habit of bottoming out even with the stiffest spring, and developed some up/down free play over the course of the first 11 months. I had the shock worked on, they said they did a re-set of the spring. I assume it was just a lube up and kick out scenario and the fix only lasted about half a ride. The LBS was very helpful in getting a new Future Shock 1.5 installed. While it may lack the adjustability and overall smoother operation of the 2.0, it is definitely an upgrade for this bike. Now that a Diverge version of the FS 2.0 is available I may look into upgrading it when I get some new bars/stem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.