Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eddy Merckx Falcon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eddy Merckx Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 10:02 PM
Sgvpicker

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Evo DURA-ACE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eddy Merckx Falcon

Picked up this Falcon bike today, i think i screwed up on this purchase (SMH) and i should have known better. I believe its Giro D'Italia model 104 i think. Now that I've read up a little more on this particular Eddy Merckx falcon bike Im not sure what to do with it, is it even worth restoring?

Likes For Sgvpicker:
Old 03-27-19, 11:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
If it does not fit and you intended to ride it, you goofed.
the saddle in the image IS barely inserted unless it is a mtb length seatpost.
50 mm min insertion unless there is a min insertion mark in my book.
stem insertion might be marginal also.
Old 03-27-19, 11:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
You may be alright depending on how much you paid. While not a top model, it does have Campy dropouts, Superbe and other ok parts. Not a bottom model either. The experts should be along shortly.
Old 03-28-19, 02:50 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Eddy Merckx Falcon

Ignore the model based on components. They're a hodgepodge from different periods save for maybe the headset if its a Campy. These were early to mid 70's bikes. Falcon produced Eddy Merckx badged bikes in a number of quality levels.

The Falcon Ernie Clements San Remo was the top of the line all Campy model. They were quite nice bikes. Judging from the lug work, your bike appears to have almost the same frame only in Eddy Merckx kit.

This link shows a classic San Remo

Velo Classics: Falcon San Remo 1973 Model 76

The fork and rear stay end treatments speak of a quality build. The frame is most certainly Reynolds 531 throughout, maybe even lighter gage Reynolds that was used on better frames.

First thing, does it fit? If so clean it up, give it a minor tuneup and ride it. If you like it then it's worth putting some money into.

Depending on how much you paid for it, the frame parted out could be worth more than the whole frankenbike.

As noted above, the stem and seatpost are WAY TOO HIGH! Minimum insertion is 75mm - 80mm (~3") for both.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 03-28-19 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Falcon made a wide range of Eddy Merckx models but I concur that this is one of the top models. The Camapgnolo dropouts and seat post diameter attest to that. My understanding is that the Super Competition and Giro d'Italia both used the same frame but that the former had chromed dropouts and fork crown while the latter was fully painted. Consequently, your frame would appear to be thge top Super Competition model, even is it missing the vast majority of its OEM components. The workmanship is good and consistent with the high end Falcon models, though it displays cost concessions and is not state of the art for the era.

This one is right around 1972-1974, when Eddy was at his peak, so it is a highly desirable frame. However, I'll echo the comments regarding apparent size and post/stem insertion.
Old 03-28-19, 08:42 AM
Sgvpicker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was an impulse buy, I saw the campy dropouts, campy headset, campy RD, the superbe components, and it was my size! Well needless to say I picked it up for 350 (smh) I’m thinking maybe parting it out and hopefully break even. Thanks guys for your expertise.
Old 03-28-19, 10:31 AM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
For what you paid, can't imagine much buyer remorse here. This is most certainly the top end Merckx model, the no. 102 Super Competition. All Reynolds DB 531. It is distinguished from the Giro d'Italia by having the chromed fork crown.

Other than the lack of chromed fork ends and head lugs, this was pretty much the equal of the Equipes and a beautifully made machine. The really good Falcons are actually rare. These were brazed in a stand-alone section of the main factory in Barton-on-Humber which was run by George Flavell.

But the "Dog's Breakfast" components on this do it no favors in initial impression I grant you!

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
Old 03-28-19, 02:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
If you intend to flip, $350 plus consumables will be tough to recover unless you can salvage the paint/decals and you're in a place like Portland, OR.

Personally, I would try to build it up, but that's what I like to do. For me, there's no fun in parting out a bike.

It starts with the paint and decals. The good news is it's orange, a premium color in the vintage bike market. Try to use a liquid compound and see how far that gets you. It's not out of the question to spot spray the worst areas with a rattle can. For $30 you can get a powder can from us.spray.bike.

Then there's the seat tube decal. Hopefully, you can salvage it. I've painted these before to both good and marginal effect.

Sell the triomphe derailleur to offset a suntour one. Or part out all the suntour and go full campy. I might keep everything else, save the saddle.

Yeah, gonna be hard to break even after you refurbish it, but it's often a labor of love. You might end up with a keeper.
Old 03-28-19, 02:47 PM
carbomb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hah! I love it when a bike I was debating buying on CL vanishes, then re-appears on here =) I think it's cool, glad you didn't pay the full $400 they were asking. I hope it cleans up nice because even though it's a 'Falcon' build, it's still plenty cool.
Old 03-28-19, 02:52 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I have an early Falcon San Remo 76.... 74-75 model? The one hallmark of top of the line Falcons that is missing on this bike is full wrap around seat stays. Maybe they changed for the Merckx signature models.
Old 03-28-19, 02:54 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
First thing, does it fit? If so clean it up, give it a minor tuneup and ride it. If you like it then it's worth putting some money into.
^^^This.
Old 03-28-19, 03:01 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
One of the few bikes I really regret letting go of was a lower grade Falcon San Remo, no chrome, but otherwise similar geometry and construction and I think it was full 531. Anyway, it rode very nicely. Sometimes that trumps the dollars and cents end - have you tried it out yet?
Old 03-28-19, 03:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts

Originally Posted by vtchuck
I have an early Falcon San Remo 76.... 74-75 model? The one hallmark of top of the line Falcons that is missing on this bike is full wrap around seat stays. Maybe they changed for the Merckx signature models.
...I think it varied with the years. Here is the seat stay cluster from a top of the line baby blue San Remo from the early 70's. Falcons are sort of mysterious, because there's not a whole lot of online catalog availability, and they were changing stuff (like the orange years for the OP bike).

I would consider it a project worthy of at least some minimal restoration as a rider. The blue one I have is a pretty solid bike, and appears to be full 531. I don't know if I'd spend the kind of money it would take to track down the original components, whatever they were.
Old 03-28-19, 03:44 PM
vtchuck

Here's a photo of mine. You can see the stays. Falcon did do some unusual stuff. Mine has round section 531 track forks with road drop-outs and fender eyelets.

The front and rear brakes are Weinmann 750 CP's. long reach with room for fenders, yet steep frame angles and a short wheelbase.

BTW, you can find replacement decals on eBay. From Australia.
Likes For vtchuck:
Old 03-28-19, 04:45 PM
Sgvpicker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Dogs Breakfast"
Old 03-28-19, 04:52 PM
Sgvpicker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't tried it out yet needs a little TLC before i can take it for a spin.
Old 03-28-19, 05:06 PM
Sgvpicker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtchuck

Here's a photo of mine. You can see the stays. Falcon did do some unusual stuff. Mine has round section 531 track forks with road drop-outs and fender eyelets.

The front and rear brakes are Weinmann 750 CP's. long reach with room for fenders, yet steep frame angles and a short wheelbase.

BTW, you can find replacement decals on eBay. From Australia.
Very nice!
Old 03-28-19, 05:33 PM
Sgvpicker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well gonna put some elbow grease into to this thing and see if it will grow on me thanks again guys for all the input, ill be posting some before and afters.
Old 03-28-19, 08:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by vtchuck;20859405​​​​​​
You can find replacement decals on eBay. From Australia.
I don't think Greg has these Merckx decals, only the early '70s san remos. I bought my last set for an '87 san remo from H Lloyd Cycles. They sold me only what I needed for the seat tube, which was nice.

Greg does have a blue merckx decal that might work. Hit him up at his email here:
gtsoftley@ozemail.com.au.

Also ask H Lloyd if they might have a down tube decal for this. Velocals can certainly drum up one for the right $$.
Old 03-28-19, 10:36 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts

Back when I first saw this frame I had (jumping to conclusions) the notion it might be a Holdsworth Pro. But after letting the C&V experts kick it around we concluded it was a Falcon San Remo, but the orange paint was also a red herring since there were flecks of red paint (and maybe other colors) under that orange. It had more chrome than the Merckx high-end Falcon, and full-wrap stays but flatter tops than most Falcons (slightly more like a Holdsworth but...no dice). This got built up for a co-worker but I didn't take pix of the "after" effects.
Old 03-29-19, 06:14 AM
vtchuck

Decals

Here's one link to the decals on eBay: Decals

More choices available at different prices. I searched for "Merckx Decals" in Cycling
Old 11-09-19, 05:53 PM
cfernandez 

Bikes: Currently: '07 Lemond Buenos Aires, '01 Lemond Zurich, '85 Schwinn Peloton, '99 Schwinn Moab 1, '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1, '87 Bottecchia Team SLX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Thought I should close this post by saying that I purchased this bike for my wife to ride in Eroica CA 2020. I shall lightly re-furbish it with new tires, cables and housing and personal touches to my wife's taste. If I get a chance I create a new post with the changes.

I also wanted to say thanks to your discussion I learned a lot about Falcons and the tie to Eddy Merckx. Cheers
Likes For cfernandez:
Old 08-18-21, 09:58 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgvpicker
Picked up this Falcon bike today, i think i screwed up on this purchase (SMH) and i should have known better. I believe its Giro D'Italia model 104 i think. Now that I've read up a little more on this particular Eddy Merckx falcon bike Im not sure what to do with it, is it even worth restoring?

Boy Oh Boy! Did I love that bike!
some how wandered into this thread ... brought back some great memories... NOT a San Remo. Falcon built these as a Merckx license/tribute.
I think they hit the shop floor in the late '73-74 years. I got mine new, had full Campy NR. Great 'Road' manners, 531, Continental Oval Fork Blades. Cinelli Buffalo saddle.
Kept and rode it until mid '79, and sold it... was always just a hair 'short' because I could never get a seatpost long enough for me to fit - was 58 cm. same as this one
great for the longer, hillier road races - 75+ mi...
Back then a 59-60 fit me well - preferrably 59...
Been looking for the few old pics I had of it... still not found...
Thanks a bunch for the memories!
Yuri
Old 08-18-21, 10:23 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I wonder what ever happened with this bike
Old 10-08-22, 03:45 PM
uh1ndrvr

Bikes: ~1973 Eddy Merckx Falcon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx Falcon

I also have an old EM Falcon that I was given in about 1973....sent by my uncle in the UK to the USA as a gift. Don't know which model it is, but it came with Dura-Ace components (1st generation I believe), is 531 tubing and has the wrap-around seat stays that someone previously commented on as trademark Falcon. It has remained in a basement most of its life, although my dad rode it for a few years when I was in the military. Now have it hanging on the wall of my office. Would like to know more about it if anyone has any info on an EM Falcon with Dura-Ace components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.