Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing out Praxis M30

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Changing out Praxis M30

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 02:40 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Changing out Praxis M30

I have a 2020 Allez Elite with a Praxis crank. I want to switch to Ultegra which means switching out the BB. I was under the impression that the M30 was a "BB30" but I wanted to check on here. What BB do I need to buy for the conversion?
Old 06-09-20, 03:19 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
M30 is not BB30. M30 is 30mm dia on one side and 24mm on the other. You simply need a Shimano BB that fits yourSpecialized OSBB. OSBB is very similar to BB30. https://wheelsmfg.com/carbon-osbb-te...%20BB%20shell.

You'd want something like this: https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...ano-black.html

That said...which Praxis crank do you have? They really are fairly nice. Plenty stiff and the rings are some of the best out there. Why do you want to switch?

Edit: I see you have the Alba...yeah those are kinda heavy. You should consider moving up the Praxis line, saves you from having to replace the BB. The Zayante Carbon S cranks are about the same weight as Ultegra R8000 (lighter by spec) and about the same cost too.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 06-09-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-20, 03:44 PM
InvertedMP 

Hmmm I didn't consider upgrading the crank and keeping the bb. I will look at that!
Old 06-09-20, 05:17 PM
InvertedMP 

Ok I have a 50/34 170mm Zayante crankset on the way! I will report back.
Old 06-09-20, 05:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Nice, you made a great choice. I have two bikes with Praxis and both are great IMO!
Old 06-10-20, 05:37 AM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
pretty sure your bike has a normal screw in bottom bracket, not osbb

so you would need to unscrew the the Praxis M30 and install a normal Shimano screw-in bottom bracket. pretty sure this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BBR60.../dp/B01KT43R3I
Likes For eflayer:
Old 06-10-20, 06:03 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
M30 is not BB30. M30 is 30mm dia on one side and 24mm on the other. You simply need a Shimano BB that fits yourSpecialized OSBB. OSBB is very similar to BB30. https://wheelsmfg.com/carbon-osbb-te...%20BB%20shell.

You'd want something like this: https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...ano-black.html

That said...which Praxis crank do you have? They really are fairly nice. Plenty stiff and the rings are some of the best out there. Why do you want to switch?

Edit: I see you have the Alba...yeah those are kinda heavy. You should consider moving up the Praxis line, saves you from having to replace the BB. The Zayante Carbon S cranks are about the same weight as Ultegra R8000 (lighter by spec) and about the same cost too.
FYI - it's NOT 24 mm on the non-drive side. It's 28 mm.
Likes For cyclebycle13:
Old 06-10-20, 08:10 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by eflayer
so you would need to unscrew the the Praxis M30 and install a normal Shimano screw-in bottom bracket. pretty sure this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BBR60.../dp/B01KT43R3I
Except OSBB is a pressfit not a threaded, so that wouldn't work. You need one designed to go in the OSBB shell.

Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
FYI - it's NOT 24 mm on the non-drive side. It's 28 mm.
Ah...ok I knew it was smaller...the 24mm stuck in my head from GXP and Shimano. Should have looked it up to confirm.
Old 06-10-20, 09:45 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Except OSBB is a pressfit not a threaded, so that wouldn't work. You need one designed to go in the OSBB shell.
The Allez Elite has a standard BSA threaded BB. Not OSBB like the tarmac/venge etc.

Also my 2c: The Praxis M30 design is inferior to BB386EVO, DUB and Shimano. They use a stepped spindle to fix the proprietary NDS bearing and a wave preload washer on the drive side. This means that there is no preload from the NDS. It can cause some minor movement and wear issues because your NDS bearing is basically taking all of your axial load, regardless of direction.

But overall, I doubt most people would care/notice.

Last edited by smashndash; 06-11-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-11-20, 10:53 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
The Allez Elite has a standard BSA threaded BB. Not OSBB like the tarmac/venge etc.

Also my 2c: The Praxis M30 design is inferior to BB386EVO, DUB and Shimano. They use a stepped spindle to fix the NDS bearing and a wave preload washer on the drive side. This means that there is no preload from the NDS. It can cause some minor movement and wear issues because your NDS bearing is basically taking all of your axial load, regardless of direction.

But overall, I doubt most people would care/notice.
Your thoughts on the play/wear concern is legit. I have had my Allez for 10,000 miles now on the factory cranks/bb bearings and I too have been watching the wear/play to show up. Nothing yet and I am surprised it hasn't yet to be honest. I am a "Clyde" so I was waiting for the play to appear and do some swapping, so far rock solid. I have no plans to change anything on either bike equipped.