Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for the Trekkies ...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 07:56 AM
h0mersimps0n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok, go easy on me. I'm a fairly competitive age-grouper Tri/Dual/Gran Fondo Athlete trying to figure out how to work my N+1.

I have a 2018 SLR6 Di2 Emonda (700 series carbon) (primary road bike ~15.6lbs with pedals and Zip 404s) and a 2018 [fast as hell but **** brakes and teeth chattering compliance] Speed Concept (22lbs).

Was planning on going with a 2021 SLR Madone (700 series carbon) with Disc brakes, Di2, (~17lbs?) etc because I wanted a more versatile, more aero road bike with disc brakes that's more compliant (comfortable) than the emonda for longer road rides, Tris and gran fondos with mountain climbs/descents not totally appropriate for a speed concept.

Then, Trek just released the 2021 Emonda with 800 series carbon and more aero features.

So now trying to figure out if I should:

1. sell my 2018 SLR and get a 2021 SLR Emonda (a lot of money basically for aero gains and disc brakes and no n+1)
2. upgrade my 2018 SLR with new handlebars (just I did the math, the time, $ and weight I'd add by changing out my SLR6's handlebars for something superlight aero 5-7W gains is totally not worth it)
3. Just buy the Madone as planned knowing that probably next years Madone will have 800 series carbon and I'll be super angry I didn't wait.
4. Do nothing and wait for next Madone model refresh

Thanks again for any helpful thoughts.
Old 06-28-20, 10:06 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Because the new Emonda is said to be more aero than previous years, I would sell both your bikes, the Emonda and Speed Concept, buy the new 2021 Emonda. Then I would add a second pair of wheels. Have one pair of low profile climbing wheels and a second pair of high profile aero wheels with appropriate tires.
Old 06-28-20, 10:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I got all excited about a question regarding what bike Spock would ride, based on the title.

Sorry, I got nothing on Trek bicycles.
Old 06-28-20, 10:25 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Does the 2021 Madone still have the old bottom bracket?
Old 06-28-20, 10:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
It's not like you're hurting for a nice bike to ride. If you want the Madone but think that a refresh is coming down the line (I assume that's the case, too), I would sit it out for another year. If they're still offering the Madone "Speed" package at that time, maybe you could give that a whirl and see if it's close enough to replace your Speed Concept.
Old 06-28-20, 10:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Because the new Emonda is said to be more aero than previous years, I would sell both your bikes, the Emonda and Speed Concept, buy the new 2021 Emonda. Then I would add a second pair of wheels. Have one pair of low profile climbing wheels and a second pair of high profile aero wheels with appropriate tires.
The Emonda has a few watts of aero gains vs the previous generation and you think that means it's a sensible replacement to a tri bike for a triathlete?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-28-20, 06:59 PM
h0mersimps0n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Thank you all for your responses so far
2. whoever PMd me, the system won't let me read it because I'm too green
3. I'm with WhyFi - I think the Madone will get OCLV 800 and bottom bracket update next year and I'll hate myself for buying one this year.
4. The 2021 Emonda was never in the cards to replace my Tri bike- I've done rides, same roads, same Watts at the pedals (vectors) and have definitively shown that even though the 2018 SLR is 7lbs lighter, it is absolutely NOT faster than the speed concept on any route that isn't a "ratio ride" route. The Speed Concept is blisteringly fast - so much so I don't even consider it an option to replace it with the new Madone SLR even if the new Madone had the Integrated Aero Kit bars on it (probably make it the same weight as my speed concept and less aero).

More thoughts and opinions welcome.

Thanks again
Old 06-28-20, 07:35 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
I'd first put one of your bikes for sale for a price that makes you happy and wait until it's sold. When you don't need to sell a bike, it's much easier to stay firm on the asking price. I just sold 3 bikes this Spring and it took about 5-6 months before each sold, but I got what I wanted for them so it was worth the wait.

I'd be less concerned about Trek coming out with a new frame material than I'd be with the possibility of a 12 speed Dura Ace Di2 coming out soon. I have no idea if such a critter exists or ever will, but with XTR already being 12 speed and SRAM already having 12 speed road components, unless Shimano is asleep at the switch there will be a 12 speed Di2 and it will first be Dura Ace. In a "blind taste test", you'd have to be a super human to notice the difference between 700 and 800 series carbon. There is a difference, but not enough to justify several thousand dollars IMHO and if you were "stuck" with 700 series, there are more important things in life to be upset about ;-)

If comfort is an issue for you (as it certainly has been for me as I get older), I think it's time to start moving past the whole Emonda / weight-weenie idea and embrace the fact that a comfortable bike will be faster for you in the end as there will be less fatigue on your body. Unless you're all about Everesting, the Madone is one of the best all-around road bikes there is. It's fast, it's aero, and it's got at least a little comfort with the ISO decoupler. The only thing I can't do is handle tires larger than a 28c (I think). I personally opted for the 2020 Domane as the roads where I live are Mc'Nasty and the comfort the Domane provides is loverly despite the weight penalty.
Old 06-28-20, 07:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Selling your two bikes is a bad financial move, you're gonna take a beating on the price. I bet after you sell both you won't have enough to buy the Madone without adding a lot of cash.

There is no one bike that does all.

Sell the Speed Concept and buy a Cervelo P5X.

The 2021 Emonda SLR will not be that much better than the 2018 you have. I have a 2015, still love it and have yet to reach it's limit in performance..
Old 06-28-20, 08:00 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'd first put one of your bikes for sale for a price that makes you happy and wait until it's sold. When you don't need to sell a bike, it's much easier to stay firm on the asking price. I just sold 3 bikes this Spring and it took about 5-6 months before each sold, but I got what I wanted for them so it was worth the wait.

I'd be less concerned about Trek coming out with a new frame material than I'd be with the possibility of a 12 speed Dura Ace Di2 coming out soon. I have no idea if such a critter exists or ever will, but with XTR already being 12 speed and SRAM already having 12 speed road components, unless Shimano is asleep at the switch there will be a 12 speed Di2 and it will first be Dura Ace. In a "blind taste test", you'd have to be a super human to notice the difference between 700 and 800 series carbon. There is a difference, but not enough to justify several thousand dollars IMHO and if you were "stuck" with 700 series, there are more important things in life to be upset about ;-)

If comfort is an issue for you (as it certainly has been for me as I get older), I think it's time to start moving past the whole Emonda / weight-weenie idea and embrace the fact that a comfortable bike will be faster for you in the end as there will be less fatigue on your body. Unless you're all about Everesting, the Madone is one of the best all-around road bikes there is. It's fast, it's aero, and it's got at least a little comfort with the ISO decoupler. The only thing I can't do is handle tires larger than a 28c (I think). I personally opted for the 2020 Domane as the roads where I live are Mc'Nasty and the comfort the Domane provides is loverly despite the weight penalty.
There is absolutely no way I would buy a Madone this year. It still has the BB90. The rest of Trek's road bikes are going to T47 and the Madone is a good bet to follow next year...Group-sets are changeable. BB standards, not so much...
Old 06-29-20, 11:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Emonda has a few watts of aero gains vs the previous generation and you think that means it's a sensible replacement to a tri bike for a triathlete?
Thank you. That’s a firm “no”. Tri isn’t a whole lot of fun on a road bike, even an “aero” one. Even with clip-ons and deep wheels. It leads to getting walloped by people who are clearly less fit and then every run being a desperate attempt to claw back dozens or hundreds of positions.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-29-20, 04:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I got all excited about a question regarding what bike Spock would ride, based on the title.

Sorry, I got nothing on Trek bicycles.
I never wonder about what bike Spock rides.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-29-20, 05:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I never wonder about what bike Spock rides.

So logical.

#LiveLongAndProsper
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-29-20, 08:43 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Another long time Trekkie here.......I ride a 2012 Domane Di2 and seriously considering a refresh after a recent visit to the LBS. My official story to the wife is that the existing 6770 groupset is ancient, and once the rear derailleur goes, it’s toast. Oh and of course the bike has a ton of miles, no front decoupler, and (dare I say) rim brakes.

The Domane SLR7 disc Di2 is north of $11k, certainly not chump change. I’m going to wait for the new Shimano Ultegra Di2 to make its debut before I commit.

I passed on the venerable Madone years ago, figuring I’d be too old for that bike in five years. Probably a mistake in retrospect.

Last edited by wthensler; 06-29-20 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For wthensler:
Old 06-29-20, 10:30 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
OP: I would pick door number 4 - wait on the next version Madone. My new Domane frame, some aero with huge versatility, has been a unexpectedly large jump from the gen 2 it replaced, even though it is a pound heavier than the gen 1 version I started with. If you didn't already have a great Emonda, the new one would be tempting, but the way Trek has been nailing the new models, just a guess but I expect the next version Madone will be the aero race, climb, comfort mix you are thinking about. This year is a going to be a somewhat limited campaign regardless of what you are riding, so no harm in waiting.
Likes For tigat:
Old 06-29-20, 11:37 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
As someone who’s also competitive in tri, I would never use a road bike in place of my tri bike - don’t sell the speed concept. You will go slower unless you’re doing IM Whistler or some other crazy hilly route and can’t hold aero for a long time.

best option = wait and spend some money on upgrades (deeper wheels) or a bike fit or registration for 2021!
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 06-29-20, 11:40 PM
h0mersimps0n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigat
OP: I would pick door number 4 - wait on the next version Madone. My new Domane frame, some aero with huge versatility, has been a unexpectedly large jump from the gen 2 it replaced, even though it is a pound heavier than the gen 1 version I started with. If you didn't already have a great Emonda, the new one would be tempting, but the way Trek has been nailing the new models, just a guess but I expect the next version Madone will be the aero race, climb, comfort mix you are thinking about. This year is a going to be a somewhat limited campaign regardless of what you are riding, so no harm in waiting.
tigat et al.

This seems to be the consensus recommendation and the one, of course, I didn't want to hear being the most impatient person EVER.

It absolutely makes sense to hold onto my 2018 SLR Emonda (and Speed Concept) and wait for next generation Madone, hopefully next year, with the new BB, hopefully something 12 speed Shimano and 800 series carbon.

In my head I knew this was the right answer, I just needed to hear it for myself... more time to save more pennies...

Thanks guys!
Likes For h0mersimps0n:
Old 06-30-20, 02:55 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Replacing the Emonda with an aero road bike makes a lot of sense for the type of riding you do.

Does it have to be a Madone? If not, there are plenty of good options right now - the Venge, the S5, the SystemSix.
Old 07-16-20, 12:53 PM
h0mersimps0n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, well, ****.

Released today is the 2021 Trek Madone - looks like I got my wish a year early - OCLV 800 carbon and the new bottom bracket.

So really, there is only one question - is it worth waiting one year just to see if Shimano comes out with something 12-speed or just pull the trigger and love the ride?

I don't like the AXs option, will definitely stay Shimano fanboy.
Old 07-17-20, 02:36 PM
Jashue

Bikes: '18 Madone 9.5, '20 Domane SL5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can relate. I got addicted to training with a power meter over the winter with my Whaoo. Trying to configure a P1 SLR 7, I see that the only option is the AXS. It might be fine, but I have an irrational attachment to Shimano. I'm NOT going to go SLR 9 with Dura Ace (I'm nuts spending what I plan as it is). I wish they offered an Ultegra Power Meter Crank set as an option.

No more refliptive paint scheme too. I was about to pull the trigger three weeks ago right before the 2020s went out of stock. That was my color. Bummed.

Last edited by Jashue; 07-17-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 07:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
You two don't know what you're missing.

Hint... its wires
Old 07-20-20, 01:00 PM
Jashue

Bikes: '18 Madone 9.5, '20 Domane SL5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You two don't know what you're missing.

Hint... its wires
Yup. Just got back from my LBS to hammer out the details on my P1 build. I don't know how I got it in my head that the Dura Ace 9100 was wireless, but there it was. Such a bummer. Settling for Ultegra Di2-- which is what I have currently and love very much. Sure would love a power meter though.

Down the road I might invest in the Stages Cycling power meter crank arm for Ultegra. We'll see.

Happy with what I ordered though, for sure. Madone SLR 7 in the Amplified Alchemy color scheme. Should be here is a couple months.