Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1 by Sora 9 speed system issues..

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-14-22, 09:13 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

My pedals turn when I am pushing the bike. I've asked elsewhere and they said it could be chainline or hub. It is a brand new bike though, so I guess cross chain? I never had a 1 by system before, so any clue why is this so?
Old 01-14-22, 09:27 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Or simply too much/too stiff grease in the freehub.

If it was me, unless the f/h is so stiff that it makes the chain sag while coasting, I’d just ignore it and keep riding. There’s a good chance that a bit of break-in will fix the issue.
If it really annoyed me, I’d remove the wheel from the bike and spin the cassette by hand to see if I could detect any excess resistance.
If I did, next step I’d take would be to remove f/h off bike and flush it.
If that doesn’t fix things, next step would be either f/h disassembly or replacement.
Likes For dabac:
Old 01-14-22, 09:30 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
It's not chainline or cross chaining and its not related to the bike being 1x. The only thing that would make the pedals move when you push the bike forward is the freehub. I assume that the bike freewheels properly when you are riding it, so its probably just sticky grease inside the freehub. The resistance from the grease/pawls in the freehub is stronger than the resistance from the bottom bracket/crankset, so the crankset spins when the rear wheel spins. As long as it doesn't do that when you are riding it, its not really a problem.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-14-22, 09:34 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
It is a brand new bike though,
Take the bike back to the lbs. It's most likely still under warranty and they need to fix the hub. Weather it means putting new grease in it or replacing it.

But, if it only occurs when you push the bike, have the shop look at it and make sure. If it doesn't do this when you stop pedaling and try to coast, then it could just be like the other posters stated. The cold weather could have something to do with the grease being gunked up.
Old 01-14-22, 09:46 AM
Ev0lutionz

Originally Posted by dabac
Or simply too much/too stiff grease in the freehub.

If it was me, unless the f/h is so stiff that it makes the chain sag while coasting, I’d just ignore it and keep riding. There’s a good chance that a bit of break-in will fix the issue.
If it really annoyed me, I’d remove the wheel from the bike and spin the cassette by hand to see if I could detect any excess resistance.
If I did, next step I’d take would be to remove f/h off bike and flush it.
If that doesn’t fix things, next step would be either f/h disassembly or replacement.
Riding wise it feels absolutely fine, I guess ill run it in for some kilometres first then monitor it !

I even checked the cassette to see if its loose earlier on to isolate the issue. its a bi-fold FnHon bike by the way.
Old 01-14-22, 09:47 AM
Ev0lutionz

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Take the bike back to the lbs. It's most likely still under warranty and they need to fix the hub. Weather it means putting new grease in it or replacing it.

But, if it only occurs when you push the bike, have the shop look at it and make sure. If it doesn't do this when you stop pedaling and try to coast, then it could just be like the other posters stated. The cold weather could have something to do with the grease being gunked up.
I'm in humid Singapore so weather is pretty hot here heh ;P
Old 01-14-22, 09:49 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
I'm in humid Singapore so weather is pretty hot here heh ;P
OOps! Heh....yea, I'm a bit jealous now! I'm supposed to get nearly a foot of snow and icing this weekend........
Old 01-14-22, 10:08 AM
Ev0lutionz

Originally Posted by travbikeman
OOps! Heh....yea, I'm a bit jealous now! I'm supposed to get nearly a foot of snow and icing this weekend........
Stay warm! I have a friend based in Indy and he says it was -18 last week, freezing cold just thinking of it !
Likes For Ev0lutionz:
Old 01-14-22, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't see that pedals turning when you move the bike is necessarily a bad thing. It might be an indicator of an issue, but not an absolute. Sometimes there are initial forces that need to be overcome when going from rest to work for all the parts involved. Once that stiction or other force is broken, then it's of no consequence for efficiencies or other concerns when actually riding.

I'd suggest that you lift the rear wheel off the ground, spin the rear wheel to a reasonable speed and prevent the cranks from turning. If the top run of chain isn't going very slack then there isn't any real cause for concern.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-14-22 at 10:50 AM.