Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mopeds on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mopeds on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 11:08 AM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 53 Posts
Mopeds on sidewalks

Most of the bikes I see around here ride in the sidewalk instead of the bike line, usually against traffic, without lights, without warning pedestrians, etc. I spend more time walking than biking, and it's really annoying and a little scary, but I just step aside. I don't want to fight battles every single day, trying to change society.

Lately, though, there have been a few idiots driving down the sidewalk on mopeds. That's a step to far for me. This morning when I was out walking the dogs, I saw another idiot buzzing down the sidewalk towards me. It was a road with great bike lanes, very popular with cyclists (the intelligent kind). But he wanted the sidewalk. I did not get out of the way this time. I stood my ground, and told him to get off the sidewalk. He narrowly swerved around me and yelled "**** you!!", then continued a few yards before slamming on the brakes (maybe to get out of range of the dogs). Without turning around, he yelled something about kicking my ass, then motored off, still on the sidewalk.

How am I supposed to deal with people like this? It's already bad enough dealing with bikes (which are actually legal on the sidewalks here, though motorized ones are not) and cars which don't look before turning.

What would you all do?
Old 08-29-18, 11:11 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internally I would be fuming externally I would try to let it go unless the person invaded my personal space. If it's the later then it's on!
Old 08-29-18, 11:14 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm sure it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk... get a pic or his plate # and call the cops.

The guy is probably already unhinged though, if he's riding on the sidewalk when there are superior options available. Sidewalks are horrible!
Old 08-29-18, 11:16 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm sure it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk... get a pic or his plate # and call the cops.

The guy is probably already unhinged though, if he's riding on the sidewalk when there are superior options available. Sidewalks are horrible!
At least where I live if it's 50cc or below (not sure if there is anything lower than 50cc) you don't need it registered nor need a motorcycle license.
Old 08-29-18, 11:19 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
At least where I live if it's 50cc or below (not sure if there is anything lower than 50cc) you don't need it registered nor need a motorcycle license.
Fine. But ride it on the street for pete's sake!
Old 08-29-18, 11:22 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What kind of "sidewalk" are we talking and what kind of riding? Around the towns near me, it isn't uncommon for mopeds to park on sidewalks, to do so they often must travel down them a little bit as our curbs are being taken up by outdoor dining (in a safe and slow manner, of course)

In any case, I don't see hwo this has anything to do with bikes.
Old 08-29-18, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy
Most of the bikes I see around here ride in the sidewalk instead of the bike line, usually against traffic, without lights, without warning pedestrians, etc. I spend more time walking than biking, and it's really annoying and a little scary, but I just step aside. I don't want to fight battles every single day, trying to change society.

Lately, though, there have been a few idiots driving down the sidewalk on mopeds. That's a step to far for me. This morning when I was out walking the dogs, I saw another idiot buzzing down the sidewalk towards me. It was a road with great bike lanes, very popular with cyclists (the intelligent kind). But he wanted the sidewalk. I did not get out of the way this time. I stood my ground, and told him to get off the sidewalk. He narrowly swerved around me and yelled "**** you!!", then continued a few yards before slamming on the brakes (maybe to get out of range of the dogs). Without turning around, he yelled something about kicking my ass, then motored off, still on the sidewalk.

How am I supposed to deal with people like this? It's already bad enough dealing with bikes (which are actually legal on the sidewalks here, though motorized ones are not) and cars which don't look before turning.

What would you all do?

Release the hounds!
Old 08-29-18, 11:26 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Call the police?
Old 08-29-18, 11:31 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
Fine. But ride it on the street for pete's sake!
I don't disagree with you. If it really bothers you, well you can clothesline the person but I am not suggesting it...but I understand.
Old 08-29-18, 11:40 AM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

My town has conflicting laws on what does and doesn't need registration. A "moped" is 50cc or under, goes 25mph or less, and requires registration and insurance. A "motorized bike" is 48cc or under, goes 20mph or less, and doesn't require anything. Nobody registers or plates anything regardless. Yes, motoring on the sidewalk is illegal. No, the police won't go out of their way to catch people doing it.

I think "let it go" like Ivy first said is the best advice, which I'm happy to do. But, this particular person seems like one of those man-children who never grew out of the "you can't tell me what to do" phase. I've seen him before, and I'm sure I'll see him again. I'm worried he might go out of his way to invade my space on the sidewalk now.

I did file a police report in case things escalate, but the officer said "there's nothing we can do," as I expected.

@jefnvk , it's a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road with good bike lanes. He rides for miles all on the sidewalk, not just coasting up to park somewhere.

@livedarklions , I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, if he decides he wants to run one of us over.
Old 08-29-18, 11:47 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My town has conflicting laws on what does and doesn't need registration. A "moped" is 50cc or under, goes 25mph or less, and requires registration and insurance. A "motorized bike" is 48cc or under, goes 20mph or less, and doesn't require anything. Nobody registers or plates anything regardless. Yes, motoring on the sidewalk is illegal. No, the police won't go out of their way to catch people doing it.

I think "let it go" like Ivy first said is the best advice, which I'm happy to do. But, this particular person seems like one of those man-children who never grew out of the "you can't tell me what to do" phase. I've seen him before, and I'm sure I'll see him again. I'm worried he might go out of his way to invade my space on the sidewalk now.

I did file a police report in case things escalate, but the officer said "there's nothing we can do," as I expected.

@jefnvk , it's a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road with good bike lanes. He rides for miles all on the sidewalk, not just coasting up to park somewhere.

@livedarklions , I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, if he decides he wants to run one of us over.
If you reach the level of invading space, a head-butt is very effective.
Old 08-29-18, 11:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What would you all do?
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
Old 08-29-18, 11:55 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Just a matter of time before someone shoves a stick through his front spokes if he keeps riding like an idiot on narrow sidewalks.
Old 08-29-18, 11:58 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
And when you use your phone to record a video, make sure you are recording horizontally
Old 08-29-18, 12:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
What legally needs to be registered as a vehicle and what legally are allowed on sidewalks can be two separate issues completely. In Philly, bikes do not have to be registered. In many places, they are not permitted on sidewalks. Neither are any motorized vehicles permitted on sidewalks. Don't confuse issues.
Old 08-29-18, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Sorry, just couldn't resist a Simpsons reference. Definitely wasn't serious.
Old 08-29-18, 01:01 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Originally Posted by TimothyH
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
Good idea, thanks. I doubt the police would care about illegal sidewalk motoring even with a video, but it could be a useful tool if it goes further than that.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What legally needs to be registered as a vehicle and what legally are allowed on sidewalks can be two separate issues completely. In Philly, bikes do not have to be registered. In many places, they are not permitted on sidewalks. Neither are any motorized vehicles permitted on sidewalks. Don't confuse issues.
Who's confused? I laid it out in my posts. I only brought up registration because TrojanHorse suggested pics of his registration, of which there is none. I've read through the city code. As dumb as it is, sidewalk cycling is legal here. Motoring is not, except for handicap mobility devices. Powered bikes are only allowed on the sidewalk if the motor isn't running.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, just couldn't resist a Simpsons reference. Definitely wasn't serious.
I know. I do hope the reason he kept going for a bit before threatening me is because of the dogs. I'm sure he could kick my butt if he wanted. Hopefully the dogs will discourage him. I have a husky and a hound, about 50lb each. Of course they both love people, though. I'm not sure what their reaction would be if I was attacked.
Old 08-29-18, 01:22 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Just a matter of time before someone shoves a stick through his front spokes if he keeps riding like an idiot on narrow sidewalks.
You beat me to it. I was gonna' say, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that just happens to fit thru the front wheel.
Jon
Old 08-29-18, 01:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
None Here.. Motor bikes are out in the traffic lane.
Old 08-29-18, 02:22 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
In any case, I don't see how this has anything to do with bikes.
It's the IC engine version of an e-bike, it should be allowed wherever bikes go right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped
Old 08-29-18, 03:14 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Sorry, I've always used the word "moped" for any bike with pedals and a gas motor. I see a "moped" is actually a scooter. The ones I see, including this morning, are all bikes equipped with gas motors that make them much faster and heavier than your average sidewalk biker. Not really a "moped," but still not something that should be on the sidewalk.
Old 08-29-18, 03:33 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Old 08-29-18, 05:14 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Here, if it has any kind of motor with 2 wheels fore/aft (exempts Segways) and not a motorcycle then it's a moped and not legal on sidewalk. I have seen rarely gas-powered bike on sidewalk, but not enough to care about it. Mopeds do use (illegally) the bike path but doesn't cause an issue for me.

The mayor did use the law to declare Lime dockless electric scooters illegal and threatened to remove any found parked on sidewalk, so Lime pulled them after about 4 days.

scott s.
Old 08-29-18, 05:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Write your congressman of the issue.
Old 09-03-18, 08:00 PM
Hama

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
  1. Take video
  2. Report to the police
  3. Post video on youtube

-Tim-
+1 good advice also add to social media sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.