Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 03:57 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts

I have a fleet of expensive bicycles and I ride one of them 50 miles a day; I am 73. I saved a lot of money over the years from not purchasing thousands of cartons of cigarettes, a warehouse full of beer and fields of weed. I have sympathy for those who were shoveling powder up their noses 40 years ago when I was running 10 miles a day, but that sympathy can be measured in microns. Live and let live I say and if some choose self-inflicted disease and early death then let it be so. It is a free country so far.

I ride big circles these days so as not to cross state lines during these turbulent times. A ballfield is mostly silent and deserted. They built it and few come. I have no worries about foul balls crossing my path; there has been no one there until very recently.

I just keep peddling. A doctor told me many years ago that when my joints and ligaments began to protest from running impact, I should go to the bicycle. It was advice for the ages.

The sound of rubber on the road and the whir of a chain are music to my ears. My lungs are rich with country air and my legs are stallions! I see, do, and feel things that many can only dream of.
To each his own, it is hard work, but it is hard work that pays. The mechanical advantage of the machine I sit astride requires just the amount of effort necessary to keep the juices of life flowing freely. Gravity and wind speed work for me, not against me.

The hills are my friends while potholes and cracks in the road keep my mind alert. A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Last edited by LAJ; 07-23-20 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Removed the Political Content
Old 07-23-20, 04:17 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
There is a place for expressing certain beliefs that ARE NOT bicycle related --- please visit that site

https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion/
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-23-20, 04:31 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Not sure how a thread describing a bicycle as a way of life isn't bicycle related.

I enjoyed his musing, but understand some people won't get past that one sentence.

I wanted to ask Ray9 what other forms of exercise you do to stay riding at 73? I've heard people say you can't use a bike as your only form of exercise, that it needs to be combined with some form or resistance training or yoga. At 62 I've been having some issues that are keeping me from riding, just wondering what I might need to do differently.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-23-20, 04:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Darn, I missed the political content.

Yes, include body weight training and yoga for the win. But even if one can't (or shouldn't) run long distance any longer, it seems a good idea to continue to do some light jogging for shorter distances. I want to always be prepared if a situation ever came up where I literally needed to "run for my life".
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 07-23-20, 05:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Keeps reminding us he's pretty special https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1207888-me.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-23-20, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I'm confused. Is the ball field paved with asphalt?
Old 07-23-20, 05:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
The non political content is beautiful.

The political content does not belong here IMO.

Sad!
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-23-20, 05:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I didn't read any discernible political content in the original post. You guys need to relax a bit. Not everything is a microaggression meant to victimize you...

I will say that the OP's style comes off as a bit "eye-poking". Maybe it's a defense mechanism. Who knows? As for the bicycling parts, I can identify with those. So I say that any one of us on [a bicycle is a beautiful thing].
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-23-20, 05:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Apparently a mod removed the political before most of us saw it. The self-congratulatory smug is legal
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-23-20, 05:34 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not sure how a thread describing a bicycle as a way of life isn't bicycle related.

I enjoyed his musing, but understand some people won't get past that one sentence.

I wanted to ask Ray9 what other forms of exercise you do to stay riding at 73? I've heard people say you can't use a bike as your only form of exercise, that it needs to be combined with some form or resistance training or yoga. At 62 I've been having some issues that are keeping me from riding, just wondering what I might need to do differently.
I was going to Planet Fitness seven days a week but now I am not. I was reconnecting with people I hadn't seen since high school. It was a good thing but now I am searching for ways to stay home for upper body resistance training which is important for cycling.
Old 07-23-20, 05:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't either.
It was there and quite harsh IMO.

Last edited by datlas; 07-23-20 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 06:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by datlas
It was there and quite harsh IMO.

Kudos to OP for adjusting. I know that probably rubs his fur the wrong way, but thanks.
Ah. Thanks. I missed the edit note. I need to pay closer attention.
Old 07-23-20, 06:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Ray9 is a "beautiful thing". Keep on keepin' on Ray!
Old 07-23-20, 06:57 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
I have a fleet of expensive bicycles and I ride one of them 50 miles a day; I am 73. I saved a lot of money over the years from not purchasing thousands of cartons of cigarettes, a warehouse full of beer and fields of weed. I have sympathy for those who were shoveling powder up their noses 40 years ago when I was running 10 miles a day, but that sympathy can be measured in microns. Live and let live I say and if some choose self-inflicted disease and early death then let it be so. It is a free country so far.

I ride big circles these days so as not to cross state lines during these turbulent times. A ballfield is mostly silent and deserted. They built it and few come. I have no worries about foul balls crossing my path; there has been no one there until very recently.

I just keep peddling. A doctor told me many years ago that when my joints and ligaments began to protest from running impact, I should go to the bicycle. It was advice for the ages.

The sound of rubber on the road and the whir of a chain are music to my ears. My lungs are rich with country air and my legs are stallions! I see, do, and feel things that many can only dream of.
To each his own, it is hard work, but it is hard work that pays. The mechanical advantage of the machine I sit astride requires just the amount of effort necessary to keep the juices of life flowing freely. Gravity and wind speed work for me, not against me.

The hills are my friends while potholes and cracks in the road keep my mind alert. A bicycle is a beautiful thing.
Amen. Wax philosophic all you want. At 73 you've earned it. I'm a ways behind you..but not that much. I too tell old runners..buy a bike, it's much easier on your bones and you can see stuff.

Someone posted here a couple years ago about being in his 70's and attending a high school reunion..he and his wife walked in to the event(they both bike-tour, I think) and saw many old friends. Of the ones that hadn't passed away, many others we're barely walking, in wheelchairs, with walkers, the occasional oxygen tank..... He considered biking as a fountain of youth..I believe he's right.

...and if you come across another really nice bike..buy it and have fun. (post pics though!)
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-23-20, 07:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
It's absolutely bicycle related.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-23-20, 07:50 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Yeah, he is a little proud of himself, and justifiably so, but any healthy biker that’s under 73, is one up on him. But honestly, I read the post 5 times and could not detect any political content. He is obviously looking down on people with so called vices, but that’s being critical, not political. Or is anyone criticizing anyone for anything, considered political these days.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-23-20, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bruce19
It's absolutely bicycle related.
There were parts of the original post that were most certainly not bike-related and were, accordingly, deleted by a forum moderator. I believe it is those parts of the original post (not the entire original post) that post #2 in this thread refers to, as that post was made pre-deletion by the moderator.
Old 07-23-20, 08:52 AM
codyb37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I started cycling two months ago, and I regret not starting earlier
Old 07-23-20, 08:53 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
So I guess anything that isn't rabid anti-Trump is political, but stuff that is is OK.

Got it now.

Honestly I come here to get away from politics, race, covid, you name it so wish people would take that to other sites, but what Ray9 wrote was sincere and non polarizing. Mods should have left it but can also see how they didn't want to deal with it.

Ride your ride.
Smells like political.
Old 07-23-20, 09:15 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
A bicycle is a beautiful thing. Always nice to ride in the CLEAN AIR and stop and refill water bottles with CLEAN WATER. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to ride in NATIONAL PARKS. Otherwise nice to find BIKE LANES or BIKE PATHS. WHO doesn't like to live a healthy life?
Enjoy your ride with the most important things in life.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 07-23-20, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by janmm
smells like political.
ikr
Old 07-23-20, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

So I guess anything that isn't rabid anti-Trump is political, but stuff that is is OK.

Got it now.
You clearly don't get it at all.

Welcome to my ever-expanding iggy list.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-23-20, 09:28 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I enjoyed the musing, and agree, bicycles are beautiful, elegant machines. A morning ride this time of year is the difference between feeling invigorated or just sweating out another hot, muggy, Covid limited July day. Keep on cranking!
Old 07-23-20, 09:46 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I'm no straight arrow. I have indulged in just about every vice the OP mentions at one time or another in my life. But the bike has always been a constant for me. It kept me sane (sorta), it preserved my health despite my lapses into bad habits, and it kept me fit.Having abandoned my wild ways a couple decades ago, I'm still riding and enjoying it more than ever. Yes, a bike is a thing of beauty.

But what's even more amazing is what it's done for me. A couple months back, I crashed rather heavily and ended up taking an ambulance ride to the ER. The EMS folks hadn't asked me for my date of birth before calling in to report my vitals and describe my injury. They said they had a middle aged man, about 59 y/o with severe hip pain and bleeding from the elbow and wrist. Folks, I'm 72 and when I did give them my BD, they re-checked my DL to be sure it was correct. What the bike has done for my life is also a beautiful thing.

If that sounds smug or self-congratulatory, I plead guilty as charged. I've earned it.
Old 07-23-20, 10:03 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
I have sympathy for those who were shoveling powder up their noses 40 years ago when I was running 10 miles a day, but that sympathy can be measured in microns. Live and let live I say and if some choose self-inflicted disease and early death then let it be so.
Have you ever wondered what events in their lives might have at least contributed if not led them directly to "choose self-inflicted disease" as you put it? It could well be that if you knew anything about their lives you might find that they were dealt a hand that looks a lot less rosy than your own. Sadly, some really,really bad stuff happens to people. Bad enough that they deal with it ways that leads to further harm...sometimes at their own hands.

What good comes from declaring oneself superior to them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.