Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Problem with nuovo record and cogs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 03:12 AM
MaxDB

Bikes: Batavus Comanche, Fangio Vitus 788

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts

Hi all,

I've been running in some gearing issues with a campy Nuovo Record RD and a suntour cog.

The 2 highest gears are fine and never skip, however when I go to gear 1 to 4 I run into problems. Chain skips under even light pressure and tends to run over the gears.

I correctly aligned hanger and RD, already renewed the chain to a KMC X8 which should be compatible for 6 to 8 speeds, with correct length.

Only other thing I can think of is that cogs are worn out but imo they don't look worn?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Max

Old 08-10-20, 04:28 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Do you have a different freewheel to try out?
Old 08-10-20, 04:29 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
While the picture is out of focus and it would be better to see the full freewheel and its sprockets without a chain and stays partially blocking the view, I'd guess you are correct that the smallest sprockets are significantly worn.

In my experience sprockets first show signs of wear on the inside which is impossible to see unless they are removed from the freewheel body. Your sprockets show wear on the outside which normally occurs well after the inside side of the sprockets are no longer usable.

As an aside, the 4th sprocket, which has a "0" stamped into it, I've never seen that on a Suntour sprocket, and I've handled 1000s of Suntour sprockets. Interesting. Also, the "divide" on the ends of the teeth of the largest sprockets is more consistent with Regina, Atom and Maillard freewheels.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-10-20, 06:21 AM
MaxDB

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
While the picture is out of focus and it would be better to see the full freewheel and its sprockets without a chain and stays partially blocking the view, I'd guess you are correct that the smallest sprockets are significantly worn.

In my experience sprockets first show signs of wear on the inside which is impossible to see unless they are removed from the freewheel body. Your sprockets show wear on the outside which normally occurs well after the inside side of the sprockets are no longer usable.

As an aside, the 4th sprocket, which has a "0" stamped into it, I've never seen that on a Suntour sprocket, and I've handled 1000s of Suntour sprockets. Interesting. Also, the "divide" on the ends of the teeth of the largest sprockets is more consistent with Regina, Atom and Maillard freewheels.
You are totally correct! I was mistaking with an old suntour freewheel I removed before, this one is Maillard.

I have 2 other Maillards laying around but need to clean them before trying.

See attached better photos. I might order a Subrace 6sp freewheel to eliminate any uncertainty...

Cheers

Likes For MaxDB:
Old 08-10-20, 07:01 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxDB
You are totally correct! I was mistaking with an old suntour freewheel I removed before, this one is Maillard.

See attached better photos. I might order a Subrace 6sp freewheel to eliminate any uncertainty...

Cheers

Something else which I'm not sure plays a role in you current problem, but which would definitely be a problem on it's own (If it's actually happening)... In the middle picture, the second and third cogs are abutting each other, with no space between them. They then appear to collapse at the bottom of the picture toward the largest cog... If this is an optical illusion, I cannot see beyond it. If it is not an optical illusion I don't understand how it occurred Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-10-20 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 07:03 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
MaxDB the second picture shows two stacked sprockets in the second lowest gear! Are you comparing the wear?

Are the Maillards freewheels? As in screw on as opposed to their cassette like offering.
Old 08-10-20, 07:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Are you perhaps missing a spacer between the second and third sprockets?

N.B. If it were my bike, I'd ditch the Maillard freewheel and go with a modern one with profiled teeth on the sprockets.
Old 08-10-20, 07:30 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
The cogs are an optical illusion. The cogs look a little worn to me. I would try a different freewheel and see. The KMC chain is nice but I have found a NOS Sedis works wonders if you can find one. A picture taken directly from the rear would be nice so we can see the alignment. How are the pulleys on the der.?
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 08-10-20 at 08:38 AM. Reason: brain fart
Likes For canopus:
Old 08-10-20, 07:32 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts

Cheers

I spy MaxDB ! Nicely polished Campagnolo hub shaft!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-10-20, 07:43 AM
MaxDB

Thanks for the answers guys. Yes indeed optical illusion. See pics below. I'll try to clean the other Maillards asap but I'm working on girlfriends bike for the moment so might not be this week.

Probably better off ordering a new freewheel and then see without bothering with the used stuff and end up cursing even more 😂

Well spotted about the campy hub btw 😆

Jockey wheels are also brand new from Tacx
Likes For MaxDB:
Old 08-10-20, 08:45 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Are you running a triple? where is the chain line here? Full side pic maybe? and do you wax your chain?
BTW, love the color and polish...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-10-20, 02:29 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
remember a new chain on a worn freewheel makes the skipping/jumping problem worse
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 08-10-20, 02:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
remember a new chain on a worn freewheel makes the skipping/jumping problem worse
Yep. That can happen. Freewheel skipping is the classic indication of worn out teeth. Usually it isn't obvious to the eye.

Sometimes it can be staved off by adding a chain link and/or moving the wheel back slightly to get a bit more wrap around the teeth.

I usually figured two chains per freewheel. IOW, starting with new chain and freewheel, ride the first chain for about 5000 miles, replace with chain #2 , ride another 5000 miles. Then toss both chain and freewheel and start over. This assumes the chain and freewheel etc is cleaned and lubricated regularly. A dirty or over-oiled chain will drastically shorten drivetrain life.
Old 08-10-20, 03:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
My thought, maybe mentioned already - KMC 6-7-8 speed chain. 6-speed FW. But that looks like it could be an old 6-speed FW, not a narrow 6 with the same spacing as a 7 or 8-speed. Easy way to check - the dropout spacing, If it is 120mm, tha tis old school 6-speed. 120mm means it is the newer, narrow 6 and the same as 7 and 8.

The chains for old school 6-speeds were the same 3/16" chains that had been used for decades. Narrow 6, 7s ans higher required narrower chains. The newer narrow chains might run over the older freewheels but it is not guaranteed. The solution might be as simple as getting the older standard chain (which I am sure KMC makes, QBP carries and any bike shop can get). If you have calipers,,use those first. (120mm = 4 3/4", 126mm = 4 15/16")

A little history - 1976: all derailleur chains were 3/16". Freewheels were 5-speed and ran in 120mm dropouts or 6-speed of the same wide spacing in 126mm dropouts. 1977 SunTour previewed the Superbe line-up. Also a narrow 6-speed Winner FW that fit in 120mm dropouts. The narrow 7-speed for 126 soon followed. (I worked in a Fuji shop in 1977. The Fuji Pros with their Suberbe grupps were gorgeous but were old-school 6-speed. We had the narrow 6 FWs in stock. Next year I was n a different shop, post head injury, so I wasn't in a place to see what Fuji and SunTour were doing other than I had just received my replacement Fuji Pro with its 126 spacing. All my wheels were 120 and I had enough on my hands that I simply asked the mechanic to shrink my Fuji to 120. (I know - horrors!)

Ben
Old 08-10-20, 03:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The chains for old school 6-speeds were the same 3/16" chains that had been used for decades.
You mean 3/32".

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-20, 03:26 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Fresh chain, worn freewheel... might work on the stand but skip under a road test.
many of the sprockets on this freewheel can be flipped, they are symmetrical and slide on.
Not all of them though.
Freewheel cogs do not last forever.

Super Power... last time I read that it was in reference to late Steam era locomotives by Lima.
Old 08-11-20, 09:26 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
Personally I can't imagine having a Maillard or Regina freewheel on a bike I want to ride. Been pretty much a practice since the late 70's for me to toss the things ASAP.
and Atom's too naturally
but that might just be me of course - always looking for the easy way out

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 08-11-20 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 08:16 AM
MaxDB

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My thought, maybe mentioned already - KMC 6-7-8 speed chain. 6-speed FW. But that looks like it could be an old 6-speed FW, not a narrow 6 with the same spacing as a 7 or 8-speed. Easy way to check - the dropout spacing, If it is 120mm, tha tis old school 6-speed. 120mm means it is the newer, narrow 6 and the same as 7 and 8.

The chains for old school 6-speeds were the same 3/16" chains that had been used for decades. Narrow 6, 7s ans higher required narrower chains. The newer narrow chains might run over the older freewheels but it is not guaranteed. The solution might be as simple as getting the older standard chain (which I am sure KMC makes, QBP carries and any bike shop can get). If you have calipers,,use those first. (120mm = 4 3/4", 126mm = 4 15/16")

A little history - 1976: all derailleur chains were 3/16". Freewheels were 5-speed and ran in 120mm dropouts or 6-speed of the same wide spacing in 126mm dropouts. 1977 SunTour previewed the Superbe line-up. Also a narrow 6-speed Winner FW that fit in 120mm dropouts. The narrow 7-speed for 126 soon followed. (I worked in a Fuji shop in 1977. The Fuji Pros with their Suberbe grupps were gorgeous but were old-school 6-speed. We had the narrow 6 FWs in stock. Next year I was n a different shop, post head injury, so I wasn't in a place to see what Fuji and SunTour were doing other than I had just received my replacement Fuji Pro with its 126 spacing. All my wheels were 120 and I had enough on my hands that I simply asked the mechanic to shrink my Fuji to 120. (I know - horrors!)

Ben
Thank you for that bit of wisdom! Always good to be learning by more experienced people!

I did have to widen the dropouts so yes it was 120mm with old 6speed.

Originally Posted by canopus
Are you running a triple? where is the chain line here? Full side pic maybe? and do you wax your chain?
BTW, love the color and polish...
Running the original 52-42 crankset and yes I do wax my chain.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yep. That can happen. Freewheel skipping is the classic indication of worn out teeth. Usually it isn't obvious to the eye.

Sometimes it can be staved off by adding a chain link and/or moving the wheel back slightly to get a bit more wrap around the teeth.

I usually figured two chains per freewheel. IOW, starting with new chain and freewheel, ride the first chain for about 5000 miles, replace with chain #2 , ride another 5000 miles. Then toss both chain and freewheel and start over. This assumes the chain and freewheel etc is cleaned and lubricated regularly. A dirty or over-oiled chain will drastically shorten drivetrain life.
In the meantime I cleaned up another old 6sp Maillard FW and this one is only skipping on the 4th gear under heavy load so hereby confirmed that it's worn cogs on the old freewheels.

I have received new 14-24 and a 14-28 FW's by mail so one of those will be used to avoid any damage or wreckage because of the skipping .

Thank you all for the answers and help! Much appreciated!
Old 08-14-20, 08:43 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Personally I can't imagine having a Maillard or Regina freewheel on a bike I want to ride. Been pretty much a practice since the late 70's for me to toss the things ASAP.
and Atom's too naturally
but that might just be me of course - always looking for the easy way out
I ride an old ItalVega with a very nice Regina freewheel and it works flawlessly. I got it a year and a half ago from Pastor Bob and it is very nice . It did Eroica California and many other miles. I live on a hill and really put the gears to the test under load and have not had any issues. I have Shimano(old style) and SunTour as well on other bikes they all work great. My daughter had Pastor Bob do her Regina freewheel on her Raleigh many years ago and that one still works great. Maybe just a maintenance issue? I think because they are hard to work on that the maintenance gets neglected and then fail.
Old 08-14-20, 09:46 AM
Steel Charlie

The unfortunate truth was that Regina, Maillard, et., were inferior products compared to those from Japan. It did not take long for the market to realize that and adjust accordingly. If I want to use old freewheels (and I do on three bikes) I prefer to not indulge in any semi-masoochistic activities and use instead Shimano products. Works for me but JMO of course
Old 08-14-20, 11:20 AM
MaxDB

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
The unfortunate truth was that Regina, Maillard, et., were inferior products compared to those from Japan. It did not take long for the market to realize that and adjust accordingly. If I want to use old freewheels (and I do on three bikes) I prefer to not indulge in any semi-masoochistic activities and use instead Shimano products. Works for me but JMO of course
Which Shimano FW's do you exactly use for your bikes? I've bought Sunrace 6speeds now
Old 08-14-20, 01:48 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
How about the chainrings? Are they in good shape? I had a chainring that was worn enough to cause skipping under force and when I replaced it everything was good again. It is worth taking a look at it.
Old 08-14-20, 07:39 PM
Steel Charlie

Which Shimano FW's do you exactly use for your bikes? I've bought Sunrace 6speeds now
DA sixs and sevens and 600's in six now. 40-45yrs ago I was a SunTour user.