Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quality water bottles -- need suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Quality water bottles -- need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 12:18 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I have ordered the Travel Kuppe and it has already been delivered this morning (Amazon same day). Fits well, although in the attached letter the founder recommends carbon cages to prevent rattling. From the sound of it “carbon” sounds expensive so I’ll see if some of the plastic cages that I have to do the job.

Otherwise the bottle looks like a quality product. I’ll give it the field test and come back with impressions
Old 06-14-21, 12:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro

I have ordered the Travel Kuppe and it has already been delivered this morning (Amazon same day). Fits well, although in the attached letter the founder recommends carbon cages to prevent rattling. From the sound of it “carbon” sounds expensive so I’ll see if some of the plastic cages that I have to do the job.
You might be able to hack a fix by putting some black electrical tape on the cage or bottle where the contact points might rattle.
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene;[url=tel:22101672
22101672[/url]]You might be able to hack a fix by putting some black electrical tape on the cage or bottle where the contact points might rattle.
Yeah, liking that
Old 06-14-21, 01:21 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Here is something I have noticed.

I fill 2 polar type bottles with ice from home then top off with water, so probably 1/4 water 3/4 ice. I drink from one until it is empty. a lot of times there is a couple small pieces of ice rattling around after I drink the last bit of water. But when I grab the second untouched bottle, all of the ice has melted and the water is cold but not ice cold. The higher percent of water to ice warms faster.

So now on a hot day I drink 1/2 of first bottle then switch out and start drinking from second. With this method I can have ice water for nearly 2 hours.
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 06-14-21, 06:50 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I do something similar.
3-4 ice cubes in a 32oz insulated vacuum steel bottle, topped off with refrigerator temp water. Stays cold for 3-4 hours.

I also freeze a regular 500ml water bottle to use as an ice pack for snacks. When that melts I have an “emergency” 500ml bottle of cold water. Usually don’t need it but it’s there just in case.
Old 06-14-21, 10:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Another vote for Camelbak Podium bottles. I like the Ice bottles in that line, I believe they use Aerogel for the insulation which is pretty light and works really well. I do put ice in the bottles if I need it colder and if I need it really cold I will freeze a bit of water in the bottle but because the Ice bottles work well I tend not to do that so I have more water to drink.

I have used a lot of bottles over time and get a lot of free ones but I still would pay money for a Camelbak over 20 free bottles.
Old 06-16-21, 12:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
The best bottles I've used are the Camelback "Podium" and Triplex (not widely distributed outside Europe). I'm not a big fan of insulated bottles; total volume is more important than the temperature of the contents, and effective insulation significantly decreases volume capacity. While the Midwest doesn't get as hot as Arizona, our humidity is far higher here, which means sweating doesn't cool you as effectively as it would in Arizona.

Thinking of our Hmong families (from Laos, in Southeast Asia), I've found the elders will not drink cold water even on the hottest days. The need for cold drinks seems to be a cultural affectation, not a physiological necessity.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-16-21, 12:42 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson;[url=tel:22104891
22104891[/url]]
Thinking of our Hmong families (from Laos, in Southeast Asia), I've found the elders will not drink cold water even on the hottest days. The need for cold drinks seems to be a cultural affectation, not a physiological necessity.
Not sure why tribal elders’ beliefs are relevant. Do you follow their guidance in other areas of health as well?
Old 06-16-21, 02:12 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah, as Gresp15C said, here at BF you often get what you don't ask for. So here is my 2¢

I don't use insulated bottles at all. My reason is that the insulation takes up space I rather have in fluid. To a lesser part it adds weight and bulk that I'd rather not carry on long rides.

I am not particular about the temperature of the drink that comes out of them even when I ride in 100°F temps or better. I'd think really cold water would make me get stomach cramps when cycling hard. And I've always believed that cold water takes longer to get absorbed by your body. Since I put most of my carbs in my bottles, I don't want to hinder that process.
Same for me. The insulated bottles just don't last long enough to justify their existence (for me...). More liquid is better.
Old 06-17-21, 12:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
Not sure why tribal elders’ beliefs are relevant. Do you follow their guidance in other areas of health as well?

The Hmong are indigenous to an area with year-round high heat and humidity. Drinking ambient temperature water keeps them well hydrated without a need for cold fluids.

You may have a preference for cold fluids, but that's all it is. Adequate hydration is far more important than the temperature of what you drink, and my preference is to carry sufficient fluids and not worry about the temperature of said fluids.
Old 06-17-21, 01:11 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I've got a couple of Polar insulated bottles that are probably 7 or 8 years old now. Insulation is so-so, but they are adequate, cheap, and take abuse. I fill them about half full with ice, and the liquid stays cool for about 2 hours on a moderate day. Only complaint is that the cap does not seal that well, and sometimes leaks onto the frame.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 06-17-21, 01:16 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Hmong are indigenous to an area with year-round high heat and humidity. Drinking ambient temperature water keeps them well hydrated without a need for cold fluids.

You may have a preference for cold fluids, but that's all it is. Adequate hydration is far more important than the temperature of what you drink, and my preference is to carry sufficient fluids and not worry about the temperature of said fluids.
I've always been of the mind, if it is wet, I'm good. Colder water may be refreshing and I guess if you are somewhat overheated it might help reduce body temp. But I just want water.
Old 06-18-21, 06:02 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts

Old 06-18-21, 06:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Gconan

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be interested in solutions that require two hands to get a sip.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-18-21, 06:29 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be interested in solutions that require two hands to get a sip.
I need the extra water. I pull up, straddle the bike and take a nice two handed drink then get going again.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-19-21, 06:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Gconan
I need the extra water. I pull up, straddle the bike and take a nice two handed drink then get going again.
What would be perfect for you is one of those bottles, but with the lid technology on the Bivo. And why on those bottles you showed, don't the makers just build in a little indent for standard bottle cages to hold better?
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/bivo...cusing-on-air/
Old 06-19-21, 08:10 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Depends how you define 'quality.' I use the standard water bottles found in bike shops, Walmart, REI, and other similar places. I don't particularly like the drinking methodology necessary while riding so I'll occasionally stop and take a 'chug' on a long ride. It works for me, so that's my level of quality. I also use the freezing half-filled water bottles in the freezer method for keeping cool water on hand, too.

Those Nalgene water bottle holders shown above look interesting. Anybody have a link to a website where they can be purchased? (I've got lots of 1-liter bottles).
Likes For skidder:
Old 06-19-21, 09:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The only quality water bottles are made of stainless steel--------------period.
Old 06-19-21, 10:20 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Polar. Fill full with ice, then h2o and chill for a few. It will still be cool at 1.5 hours even at 100 degrees. In heat you should be drinking at least one bottle per hour so 2 will usually cover until you can refill or take a break.
Old 06-19-21, 10:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Other HOT Riding Tips.
Pour Ice Water on the back of your Neck
Entering a Convince Store look for an open Beer Cooler.
Place the Top Side of your hands on the Ice or Cold Cans.
This cools your blood as you leave them there.
We do have some Walk in Beer Coolers.... SO NICE.
Leave your nasty paws off any cans that you aren’t buying.
That’s just as silly as it is nasty and didn’t fly even pre-pandemic.
Old 06-19-21, 11:06 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I found an older Contigo by the side of the gravel bike path. It had been there a month, and maybe because of Covid, no one picked it up. I was not too proud to take it home when I saw it a second time. Would you believe the water inside was still cold?

Nah. It was dry, so I sterilized the heck out of it and put it back in service. Keeps ice for 8 hours outside. Good design. steel insulated body. No leak plastic top, I hear they cost about 20 bucks.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 06-19-21, 11:06 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Leave your nasty paws off any cans that you aren’t buying.
That’s just as silly as it is nasty and didn’t fly even pre-pandemic.
Go get Drunk again.
My hands are always clean , I wear Gloves

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-19-21 at 11:10 AM. Reason: +
Old 06-19-21, 11:24 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69
I do something similar.
3-4 ice cubes in a 32oz insulated vacuum steel bottle, topped off with refrigerator temp water. Stays cold for 3-4 hours.

I also freeze a regular 500ml water bottle to use as an ice pack for snacks. When that melts I have an “emergency” 500ml bottle of cold water. Usually don’t need it but it’s there just in case.
see I am starting to wonder if plastic works better in this case then metal. when ti is warm 80 or so I have used our yeti bottles with about 1/3 ice and Goldwater and the ice ins gone in less then two hours. Now these are bout the best insulated metal bottles out there. heavy and work great when it is just sitting around. but when the bottle move like in the panner or my backpack the ice melts fast.
Old 06-19-21, 12:23 PM
Bimmer69

You could wrap them in a towel or bubble wrap to further insulate them.
Old 06-19-21, 12:27 PM
Bimmer69

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Kleen Kanteen makes a sport top for most of their bottles. They include a small one-way silicone valve in the lid. It does leak if you tip it on its side.
Additionally the sport tops fit other bottles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.