Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a tent; suggestions?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Looking for a tent; suggestions?

Old 07-12-21, 11:44 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Sierra Trading Post
Likes For Doug64:
Old 07-13-21, 04:45 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Here you go. $120, 3 person reasonable weight, two vestibules for your gear.
Alps Mountaineering make good quality for the price. We used a similar tent, the Chaos 3 for a few tours, maybe 3 1/2 months total time. Fly is still waterproof, floor weeps a little bit.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-m...F0NzExMDAwNDE=
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 07-13-21, 08:05 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
You want a great tent for no money. It will not happen. How much is a 350$ tent used over 10 years? Answer is nothing. Save money today, regret tomorrow.
Old 07-13-21, 08:37 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Below $150 is tough. In that range I would recommend a Coleman. I have one I have used for around 16 years so far, and it has been reliably waterproof. I still have yet to retreat it. I have an old 3 person tent. I used it for part of a bike tour in 2019 when my wife came to visit me, instead of my hammock. I ended up taking it with me when she left since I was going to run into some very bad weather, and though spending a day or so waiting out the storms would be nice in the bigger space. It was, and despite heavy rain and high winds, no water made it into the tent.

Here is a 4 person tent with a full fly from Coleman. I would recommend the full fly version from then rather than the shorter fly version.

https://www.rei.com/product/201634/c...-4-person-tent
Old 07-13-21, 09:36 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
You want a great tent for no money. It will not happen. How much is a 350$ tent used over 10 years? Answer is nothing. Save money today, regret tomorrow.
today, i found a 20 deg slumberjack sleeping bag originally retailing at $80-$90. $5 at the thrift store, dude. my '98 honda crv... with 130k miles needing a little work ....was GIVEN to me. tell me, again, how it will not happen? i'm not looking for the grail of tents
Old 07-13-21, 09:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by phughes
Below $150 is tough. In that range I would recommend a Coleman. I have one I have used for around 16 years so far, and it has been reliably waterproof. I still have yet to retreat it. I have an old 3 person tent. I used it for part of a bike tour in 2019 when my wife came to visit me, instead of my hammock. I ended up taking it with me when she left since I was going to run into some very bad weather, and though spending a day or so waiting out the storms would be nice in the bigger space. It was, and despite heavy rain and high winds, no water made it into the tent.

Here is a 4 person tent with a full fly from Coleman. I would recommend the full fly version from then rather than the shorter fly version.

https://www.rei.com/product/201634/c...-4-person-tent
two or three examples in thread so far. but, yes...thank you for some coleman feedback. i've been seeing some in my searches and some look like they'd do the job for me. in boy scouts, we didn't use top of the line or even mid line camping gear and somehow we still managed...lol. just a bunch of military brats with gear the peeps could afford. i know there's some decent stuff out there for modest prices, but you gotta dig and ask around to who's used any of it to get real honest experience. a lot has changed in the 30 something years since i was a scout, but surely not everything
Old 07-13-21, 09:44 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Here you go. $120, 3 person reasonable weight, two vestibules for your gear.
Alps Mountaineering make good quality for the price. We used a similar tent, the Chaos 3 for a few tours, maybe 3 1/2 months total time. Fly is still waterproof, floor weeps a little bit.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-m...F0NzExMDAwNDE=
doesn't look to have much head room, but i'll keep it in mind. thanks!
Old 07-13-21, 09:53 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by thook
doesn't look to have much head room, but i'll keep it in mind. thanks!
You aren't going to get much more than 38" in a tent that ticks your boxes.
Old 07-13-21, 09:56 PM
Trevtassie

i dunno <<sigh>>. if anyone knows of a quality tent restoration product, i'd be willing to try that. i don't remember what i used last time to waterproof my tent, but it didn't work
Nikwax Tent and Gear Solar Proof. Waterproofs and acts as sunscreen to slow fading and Uv degradation.
Old 07-13-21, 10:18 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

You aren't going to get much more than 38" in a tent that ticks your boxes.
my old eureka has more than that. it ticks all the "must" boxes, but the floor weeps. i'm gonna give the old college try, though, and restore it after reading this blog i found. it may not work well for the long run if at all, but i won't be out much if it doesn't. in the meantime, i'm keeping an eye out on ebay, craigslist, yard sales, and the thrift stores. this thread is my data gathering phase....lol. then, i'll see what actually manifests
Old 07-13-21, 10:30 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Nikwax Tent and Gear Solar Proof. Waterproofs and acts as sunscreen to slow fading and Uv degradation.
i've read about gear aid products and it's likely what i'll go with. i've used nikwax a few times in the past on jackets and such and recall not being real happy with the result. maybe i didn't do something right, but i tried several times
Old 07-14-21, 12:55 AM
Trevtassie

my old eureka has more than that. it ticks all the "must" boxes, but the floor weeps. i'm gonna give the old college try, though, and restore it after reading this blog i found. it may not work well for the long run if at all, but i won't be out much if it doesn't. in the meantime, i'm keeping an eye out on ebay, craigslist, yard sales, and the thrift stores. this thread is my data gathering phase....lol. then, i'll see what actually manifests
Generally once the floor is gone, it's gone as the PU coating has failed. Waterproofing coatings won't do anything to fix it, they just make the fibres water repellent. That works on flies because it then runs off. On a floor it gets forced through by pressure when you move around.
With any waterproofing coating things need to be clean and residue free. I use Tech Wash on anything I re -proof then rinse real well.
Old 07-14-21, 01:04 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Generally once the floor is gone, it's gone as the PU coating has failed. Waterproofing coatings won't do anything to fix it, they just make the fibres water repellent. That works on flies because it then runs off. On a floor it gets forced through by pressure when you move around.
With any waterproofing coating things need to be clean and residue free. I use Tech Wash on anything I re -proof then rinse real well.
from what i'm reading, you can restore the PU coating, though. gear aid has a PU product. you just have to clean off the old coating in order for it to work. but, that's just what i've read. have you tried restoring a tent before? is the tech wash a DWR? i know just applying a DWR won't do the trick. iirc, that's all did before thinking that would work, but...again...it didn't
Old 07-14-21, 03:08 AM
Trevtassie

from what i'm reading, you can restore the PU coating, though. gear aid has a PU product. you just have to clean off the old coating in order for it to work. but, that's just what i've read. have you tried restoring a tent before? is the tech wash a DWR? i know just applying a DWR won't do the trick. iirc, that's all did before thinking that would work, but...again...it didn't
I guess it's worth a shot if the rest if the tent is still good.
Old 07-14-21, 11:47 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
" . . .i need a good tent. waterproof...i mean reliably waterproof!!...is foremost. roomy would be next. something big enough for three people and modest amount of gear. in/out access on both sides would be great, but not a must. a vestibule of any size would also be really nice, but not a must. simple to set up, lightweight and reasonably compact a must, but nothing minimalist. below $150 is a must."

Sigh . . . This reminds me of a guy looking for a sports car. "200 mph top speed . . . I mean reliably 200mph! Leather upholstery, ceramic brakes. Must weigh under 3,000 pounds. Carbon-fiber wheels, Michelin Pilot tires. Below $20,000 is a must."

If you want high quality you have to pay for high quality.
Likes For Jonathan Hanson:
Old 07-14-21, 11:58 AM
phughes

two or three examples in thread so far. but, yes...thank you for some coleman feedback. i've been seeing some in my searches and some look like they'd do the job for me. in boy scouts, we didn't use top of the line or even mid line camping gear and somehow we still managed...lol. just a bunch of military brats with gear the peeps could afford. i know there's some decent stuff out there for modest prices, but you gotta dig and ask around to who's used any of it to get real honest experience. a lot has changed in the 30 something years since i was a scout, but surely not everything
The reason I suggested the Coleman, was your insistence on it being waterproof. The floor is a bathtub design, and is made of a tarp like material. It is very heavy duty and completely waterproof. The tent I linked is also a four person tent, which will give three people room. The fly goes all the way down the sides which will greatly help prevent water from coming in during a hard, driving rain.

It is a great value, and ticks your boxes. The cost is a slightly higher weight.
Old 07-14-21, 02:07 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hanson
" . . .i need a good tent. waterproof...i mean reliably waterproof!!...is foremost. roomy would be next. something big enough for three people and modest amount of gear. in/out access on both sides would be great, but not a must. a vestibule of any size would also be really nice, but not a must. simple to set up, lightweight and reasonably compact a must, but nothing minimalist. below $150 is a must."

Sigh . . . This reminds me of a guy looking for a sports car. "200 mph top speed . . . I mean reliably 200mph! Leather upholstery, ceramic brakes. Must weigh under 3,000 pounds. Carbon-fiber wheels, Michelin Pilot tires. Below $20,000 is a must."

If you want high quality you have to pay for high quality.
edited for politeness....never asked for "high quality". just reasonable quality...hence the comments coleman, etc would be fine. so long as things are roomy enough and waterproof and not too heavy

Last edited by thook; 07-14-21 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 02:19 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

The reason I suggested the Coleman, was your insistence on it being waterproof. The floor is a bathtub design, and is made of a tarp like material. It is very heavy duty and completely waterproof. The tent I linked is also a four person tent, which will give three people room. The fly goes all the way down the sides which will greatly help prevent water from coming in during a hard, driving rain.

It is a great value, and ticks your boxes. The cost is a slightly higher weight.
edited because i'm a jerk
anyway, i gathered your reason before. many apologies. the coleman sounds like a solid option. and, again, appreciation because coleman isn't generally considered "quality". otoh, they make great stoves, etc. so, probably they could make a good tent, too

Last edited by thook; 07-14-21 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 02:23 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

I guess it's worth a shot if the rest if the tent is still good.
so, you haven't tried restoring a tent? okay. well, the tent has no holes, no ripped seams, or ripped netting. i'm going to take it to a laundry mat this weekend or tomorrow and see if it comes clean enough first.
Old 07-14-21, 03:11 PM
phughes

what's up with you guys? I THANKED YOU for the coleman feedback. i know that's why you suggested it. i can read.
What is wrong with YOU?! I was just trying to be helpful. I don't care what you buy. I thought I was adding something since I had forgotten I had already mentioned how the bottom was made. I see now I already did. My oversight.

I am truly sorry I even posted anything as a suggestion. You are obviously not a person worth helping. You have a horrible attitude.
Old 07-14-21, 04:28 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
what's up with you guys? I THANKED YOU for the coleman feedback. i know that's why you suggested it. i can read.
Sadly, you can't write. Good luck in your quest.
Likes For Jonathan Hanson:
Old 07-14-21, 05:41 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

What is wrong with YOU?! I was just trying to be helpful. I don't care what you buy. I thought I was adding something since I had forgotten I had already mentioned how the bottom was made. I see now I already did. My oversight.

I am truly sorry I even posted anything as a suggestion. You are obviously not a person worth helping. You have a horrible attitude.
no, i'm sorry. my attitude is generally good. this morning has not been easy going and apparently i misread the mood behind your post. i know you were trying to be helpful. and, there was a part i typed and addressed specifically to you, but somehow in my editing it got lost. "not you phughes". like i said, i really appreciate your feedback on the coleman. again, many apologies
Likes For thook:
Old 07-14-21, 05:47 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hanson
Sadly, you can't write. Good luck in your quest.
perhaps i'm not the best at conveying, but it seems some people here understood where i was coming from. at least, originally

nevertheless, please accept my apologies everyone. poor excuse, but just having a bad day. sorry
Likes For thook:
Old 07-14-21, 05:49 PM
phughes

no, i'm sorry. my attitude is generally good. this morning has not been easy going and apparently i misread the mood behind your post. i know you were trying to be helpful. and, there was a part i typed and addressed specifically to you, but somehow in my editing it got lost. "not you phughes". like i said, i really appreciate your feedback on the coleman. again, many apologies
Apology accepted. We've all had days like that. Thanks.
Old 07-14-21, 05:49 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Those days happen to all of us. No worries on my part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.