Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

700x32 tire recommendation

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-29-20, 05:33 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I'm currently running my bike with 700x28 Mavik Yksion Elite guard tires. So far I find they last a long time and allow me to corner fast when descending. However I usually ride some gravel paths with them (I know it's not the intended use, but they allow me to avoid lots of traffic, pollution and traffic lights) and I find them too harsh over bumps on those paths.

I'm looking for a tire that allows me to ride the gravel paths more comfortably and that doesn't compromise cornering speed on the road. I don't care about grip on the gravel, as I'm not going to corner at high speed nor do descents over gravel. I do care about a tire that doesn't get damaged easily on the gravel though. I have run Hutchinson Equinox II tires and they got plenty of cuts. Yksions seem to withstand it like a champ, on the other hand.

I have enough clearance to fit 700x32 for sure. Maybe even 700x34.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-20, 07:35 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I'm currently running my bike with 700x28 Mavik Yksion Elite guard tires. So far I find they last a long time and allow me to corner fast when descending. However I usually ride some gravel paths with them (I know it's not the intended use, but they allow me to avoid lots of traffic, pollution and traffic lights) and I find them too harsh over bumps on those paths.

I'm looking for a tire that allows me to ride the gravel paths more comfortably and that doesn't compromise cornering speed on the road. I don't care about grip on the gravel, as I'm not going to corner at high speed nor do descents over gravel. I do care about a tire that doesn't get damaged easily on the gravel though. I have run Hutchinson Equinox II tires and they got plenty of cuts. Yksions seem to withstand it like a champ, on the other hand.

I have enough clearance to fit 700x32 for sure. Maybe even 700x34.

Thanks!
30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tires are an actual 32mm on my wheels(23mm internal width rims).

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...00c-98628.html

https://road.cc/content/review/17320...-tubeless-tyre

FTR they changed the name of the tire from S-One to G-One Speed, but the tire is unchanged.

Last edited by noodle soup; 01-29-20 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 08:01 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I really like the Bontrager R3. Nice ride and gets good reviews.
Likes For Pb_Okole:
Old 01-29-20, 08:07 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I recently bought and mounted a set of Panaracer Gravel Kings, 25mm. I have not tried the 32's, but as good as the 25's ride, I am sure the 32mm will also. A lot of really good reviews on different sites for all sizes.
Old 01-29-20, 08:09 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've been running a set of vittoria rubino pro G in 30mm for the past year and would recommend them.
They measure about 31mm on my rims and have been great on mixed surfaces.
Old 01-29-20, 08:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Schwalbe marathon supreme or the panaracer gravel kings would work well. I like running 32c tires for this reason as well.
Old 01-29-20, 10:00 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
i'm running Schwalbe S One (30mm) in a tubular for rides that include some gravel.
i like the tire, better for most purposes than 32s with small knobs (which is as wide as i get on my drop bar roadies)
but it's not as fast as a 25mm.
Everything is a trade-off.

edit: if i need wider than cyclocross tires for a particular gravel ride, i take a mtn bike with at least front susp. Right tool for the job, as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-29-20 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-29-20, 02:43 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
My bike came with Schwalbe G One all around tires 700x35. I ride 95% pavement. I wasn't all that impressed with them. Changed to Grand Prix 4 season's 700X32. 3,000 plus miles later still no flats (running tubes). It is getting time to replace them so I guess I will check out the GP5000's.
Old 01-29-20, 03:23 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
My bike came with Schwalbe G One all around tires 700x35. I ride 95% pavement. I wasn't all that impressed with them. Changed to Grand Prix 4 season's 700X32. 3,000 plus miles later still no flats (running tubes). It is getting time to replace them so I guess I will check out the GP5000's.
The 30mm G-One Speed is a much faster tire, but still durable enough for some gravel.
Old 01-29-20, 04:57 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I am currently running Cont. Grand Prix 4 Season 700 x 32 (measure out at 34mm on my 21.5mm wide rimes) and have been very happy with them. All road riding except for my 3/4" rock driveway. They are somewhat heavy and I'm sure they aren't that fast but I don't really care. They seem to corner very well, have been bulletproof so far and can be run at a low enough pressure the awful chipseal roads with cattle guards I ride on get smoothed out a bunch compared to running 28mm tires @ 80-100 psi.
Old 01-29-20, 08:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If you just want to try some wider tires without spending too much, try the Continental Ultra Sport II in 700x32. I've been riding them in 700x23 and x25 for a couple of years, no problems or complaints. They're really tough (I use the same tires on the Cycleops trainer as outdoors), grippy, resistant to cuts and punctures despite claiming no special puncture shield, and respond well to a wide range of pressure. I weigh 150 (160 when I started using them a couple years ago), and run them from (rear) 70 psi on rougher stuff to 120 psi on smooth pavement (for PR attempts), and (front) 60-90 psi. No pinch flats, no unusual wear or sloppy handling at lower pressure.

I usually pay around $15 each for 700x23 and 25. The 700x32 usually costs around $30 but if you put them in the cart on Amazon, then move it to "save for later," this will often trigger the pricing algorithm to lower the price within a week.

I even compared the folding and wire bead versions in 700x25. They feel the same to me on the trainer and on the road. The wire bead is a little heavier but I didn't notice during rides.

And if you decide the 700x32 width isn't quite right, you're not out much money. If nothing else, they'll make good tires for a trainer or rollers.

Wish I'd taken my own advice last winter when I wanted to try 700x32 on one bike. I got a pair of Conti Sport Contact II instead, figuring they'd be better on wet roads. And they were pretty good rain tires. But I didn't care for the handling otherwise. The tread is really thick in the main contact patch, so they're durable and resistant to cuts and punctures. But the ride feels ... meh... no matter the pressure. Harsh at high pressure, sluggish and slow at lower pressure. Nothing like the Ultra Sport II, which retain pretty much the same feeling across a wide range of pressures. Fortunately I didn't pay much, maybe $20 for the pair from Nashbar during their change of ownership blowout. I'll save 'em for an errand bike. If I consider the Sport Contact II comparable to the Schwalbe Marathon/Green Guards, the Contis would rate highly -- very comparable wear and puncture resistance, with lower rolling resistance. So from that perspective it's a good tire. Just not what I was hoping for in a tire with "Sport" in the name.

(BTW, I have "better" road tires -- Schwalbe One V-Guards, Conti Grand Prix Classic, Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. But I don't feel hindered by the cheaper Conti Ultra Sport II. I switch to the other tires if I'm in the mood to try for new PRs or a KOM.)

Last edited by canklecat; 01-29-20 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 06:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I don't see much mention, but I think they're relatively new, but has anyone ridden any of the Conti Grand Sport line? They come in Race or Extra versions
ie.
Conti GRAND SPORT RACE
Old 01-30-20, 07:10 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I've been running pirelli cinturatos in 32mm on my winter/commuter. They're tubeless ready and tough enough to withstand gravel.
Old 01-30-20, 06:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't see much mention, but I think they're relatively new, but has anyone ridden any of the Conti Grand Sport line? They come in Race or Extra versions
ie.
Conti GRAND SPORT RACE
Pure Grip compound, tread design ... sounds like the old Ultra Sport II with thinner rubber and the addition of a puncture shield, for slightly less weight than the US2.

And I see Conti has added a new Ultra Sport III, with few specs at the moment.

Conti has done that with several tires the past few years -- they'll rename some tires with minor modifications. Makes it difficult to compare results before anyone does any tests.

If the price is right I'll probably try both the Grand Sport Race and Ultra Sport III. So far I've found Conti's low and middle price range tires to be very satisfactory. I've ridden faster tires, but those didn't last long. The Ultra Sport II, Grand Prix Classic and Speed Ride have hit my sweet spot for price and performance, including excellent durability.
Old 01-31-20, 07:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

If the price is right I'll probably try both the Grand Sport Race and Ultra Sport III. So far I've found Conti's low and middle price range tires to be very satisfactory. I've ridden faster tires, but those didn't last long. The Ultra Sport II, Grand Prix Classic and Speed Ride have hit my sweet spot for price and performance, including excellent durability.
I'm considering the GrandSport Extra as potential commuter tire. Heavy though.. in 32mm size almost 200g heavier than a Gatorskin, though a bit lighter than eg. their Top Contact city tire. Also, can be gotten for $25 per tire vs. over $50 for the Top Contact or $35 for a Gatorskin
Old 02-04-20, 10:10 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been on Challenge Grifo 32 mm file tread tubulars lately on the all-around bike.

Super comfy with the latex tubes, & don't give up too much speed.

The Schwalbe one 30mm tubular (more like 28mm actual) are faster and corner well but not as fun.

Could be a winter thing & I'll go back to the Schwalbes when roads are not such a mess.
Old 02-05-20, 10:04 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
+1 Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm for road bike.
+1 Panaracer GravelKing 32mm file tread for touring/adventure bike.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-06-20, 08:59 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The tire you are looking for is the G-One Speed 30mm.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 02-09-20, 06:54 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I have some Continental gp 5000 clinchers in the 700 x 32 size. On a wide rim they are 33mm wide. They roll fast and are comfortable, they are light for how big they are. They seem a bit delicate for extended gravel riding, but they look ok after hitting a few nasty sections of basalt “arrowheads” that dirt road repairs are topped of with. I like em a lot for mostly pavement with safe and sane gravel bits.
Old 02-10-20, 01:09 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I put some GP5000 clinchers on a Scott Sub-21 all aluminum bike. They seemed harsh compared to my carbon bike, but I don't think that's the tires, I think it's the forks / frame. They do roll very nice... road only, no gravel, etc.