Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS vs Snob?

Old 11-13-20, 02:39 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
LBS vs Snob?

Yesterday a guy (customer) was complaining to the owner of a LBS about lengthy turn around time for repairs because of, "too many cheap bikes coming into the shop".
This shop does sell high end brands and models, but there was a noticeable row of out of place department looking bikes in need of repair.

I own both high and low quality bikes but do my own wrenching, so I never gave thought to this first world problem.
Does this guy have a point, or is he stuck up because he rolled in with an expensive bike and was told 2 weeks for repairs?

Last edited by SpeedRanger; 11-13-20 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-13-20, 02:43 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
"Stuck up" is my judgement. Take your place in line, buddy. It sounds like the same affliction Tesla, large BMW and Mercedes owners exhibit: I have more money than average, so I can park anywhere, and I expect everyone else to move aside as I do as I please.
Old 11-13-20, 02:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Two weeks is probably normal right now with parts being an issue but at my shop 3-5 days if no parts are needed is pretty normal. I wouldn't even care if it was two weeks I guess. I am lucky enough to have more than one bike.

If I only had 1 bike I might be more antsy about it.

I will say in defense of the shop work is work no matter what the bike brand is. A customer is anybody....I say the guy needs to relax a bit.
Old 11-13-20, 02:51 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
The LBS labor charge is the same whether it's a high end bike or a cheap bike.....I would assume that it's first come first served, all the bike shops in this area are very busy and having a difficult time getting parts
so patience is needed or learn to work on your own bike
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 11-13-20, 02:53 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
For a second there I thought the thread title said "slob" and I panicked.... What did I do now?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-13-20, 02:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
FIFO - First In First Out.

Ask that person if when they go to DMV to register a new car, should people with a Mercedes go ahead of someone with a Kia?
Old 11-13-20, 02:57 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
The guy complaining could just buy the bike shop. Problem solved!
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 11-13-20, 03:01 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Well, the guy showed who he was (and what he thinks about who everyone else is) I guess. Clearly stuck up is the answer.
Think about it: bikes & cycling products and service at shops are in-demand and backed-up largely due to a worldwide pandemic that has killed almost a quarter of a million people in America alone... and his concern is "what about ME and my fancy expensive need for quicker service"?

What did the shop owner say in response??
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 11-13-20, 03:05 PM
SpeedRanger

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Well, the guy showed who he was (and what he thinks about who everyone else is) I guess. Clearly stuck up is the answer.
Think about it: bikes & cycling products and service at shops are in-demand and backed-up largely due to a worldwide pandemic that has killed almost a quarter of a million people in America alone... and his concern is "what about ME and my fancy expensive need for quicker service"?

What did the shop owner say in response??
I didn't stick around for the outcome, but as I was walking out I did hear the owner repeatedly saying..."please try to understand sir"
Old 11-13-20, 03:07 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
I didn't stick around for the outcome, but as I was walking out I did hear the owner repeatedly saying..."please try to understand sir"
Old 11-13-20, 03:26 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Until this post, I couldn't figure out whether the "guy" was a customer or another employee.

Just a self centered person that thinks that they are more important.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-13-20, 03:47 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If anything, the poor guy who needs the bike to commute to work should get priority.
Old 11-13-20, 03:58 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Most if not all rich folk get what they want, when they want it, right? So why not this guy? C'mon, lets try to understand a little!
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 11-13-20, 04:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
The only time I think someone might deserve fast-lane service would be if they were a very loyal customer who brought significant income to the shop and had a pressing need to get something fixed (a break on the way home, or a race/fondo coming up the next day), rather than just a jerk with disposable income that gives them a sense of entitlement because they feel that their time is worth more than others.

Since the employee called him sir, sounds like he's not a good enough customer to be on a first-name basis with the shop, and is just as self-centered as the reply gallery assumes he is.
Old 11-13-20, 04:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
If anything, the poor guy who needs the bike to commute to
work should get priority.
Agree with your sentiment, but doubtful that most of the supply of broken down cheap bikes right now are coming from commuters. More likely that they're all hardly ridden bikes neglected for years, with a good chance of returning to that same fate next year. Of course, there's a chance for the LBS to cultivate new customers by getting those bikes working better than they likely ever were when shoddily assembled for whichever discount merchant they came from, so it's totally reasonable to give customers of lower end bikes the same level of service.

Some LBSes do have policy of not working on bikes below a certain level of quality, such as BSOs that require more time, effort, and parts than the original cost of the bike several times over. This makes sense especially since those owners tend to not see the value in paying more for a real bike, let alone be willing to pay much to fix their essentially disposable purchase.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-13-20, 04:37 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I use Velofix. Which will come to your home an fix your bike.
https://www.velofix.com/
I have been using them for years now and don’t trust a LBS to work on my bikes.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 11-13-20, 04:38 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
The guy said the quiet part out loud, but the fact is, a cheaply made, poorly-maintained bike will often take longer to work on, because you find more stuff wrong with it than was evident when it got checked in. Then you have to call the customer to get permission for the additional repair and upcharge, wait for them to call back, then move on to the next "discovery," and repeat.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-13-20, 04:40 PM
SpeedRanger

I don't believe the Snob was trying to argue his way into a shorter wait time by jumping the list. The way I understood his rant, he was complaining about the shop accepting repairs of cheap bikes, which he argued.. "increase turn around time for people with real bikes".

At one point he argued..."I paid a good money for this bike, but I'm up against a Sears bike for service....he kept pointing to an old Sears Roadmaster as example.

Does this make a difference if he's a labeled a snob? Probably not, but I can see this type of customer not returning in the future.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-13-20, 04:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
FIFO - First In First Out.

Ask that person if when they go to DMV to register a new car, should people with a Mercedes go ahead of someone with a Kia?
That all sounds correct, but the DMV doesn't sell cars of any type.

I'm guessing the complainer bought the expensive bike at the LBS, and believed that came with some type of 'move to the front of the line' Disney-type of pass.
Old 11-13-20, 04:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Does this make a difference if he's a labeled a snob? Probably not, but I can see this type of customer not returning in the future.
Where's he going to get the flat tire on his expensive bike fixed? Walmart??
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-13-20, 04:58 PM
SpeedRanger

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Where's he going to get the flat tire on his expensive bike fixed? Walmart??
He'll be fine. Theres a few bikes shops around town that won't acknowledge you as a customer if you walk in with the wrong shoes.

I once had a shop employee accost me at the front because I took a Cannondale catolog as I was leaving. He clamined the catolog was $10 which was BS.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-13-20, 04:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
My primary LBS works on anything that comes through the door and it is first in first out. However, I will say, I have gotten the occasional jump ahead of the line service. However, I generally don't worry about that as I have a couple of bikes, but once I was on a ride and broke a spoke. I would be riding by the shop on my way home, so I just stopped in, although, I figured I could make it home as it was only 6 miles away. and I had already ridden 10 miles with it the way it was anyway, I figured I would drop the bike off and call my wife to swing by and get me, but they took it back and fixed it while I waited. That was a long time ago, but it does help to have a good relationship with your shop owner and mechanics.

I'd say the guy needs to take a pill and get over himself.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-13-20, 05:10 PM
SpeedRanger

In my opinion, the best LBS service for any walk of life are located where most murders are committed in your town.
Old 11-13-20, 05:16 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The person with the fancy bike should know how to do basic maintenance, unless it's something like frame welding. I have more sympathy for the little guy.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-13-20, 05:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
We get this stuff all the time. Not quite whining about cheaper bikes muddying his chances to get worked on but people bemoaning the fact they have to wait. Typically in my area it is the commuter who refuses to believe or accept that there are any other ways to get around the city other than the single bike they own that they rely on yet mistreat until there are problems. We have loads of ways to get around, and I do mean loads of ways it is a very commuter friendly area but they freak out when they are without their bike for a second or if they need warranty work which takes time, yet many refuse to purchase a second bike if it is such an inconvenience.

People need to just realize things are busy now and sometimes are busy at other times as well and if they come in sooner their bikes get done sooner but hemming and hawing and being nasty doesn't help. Patience is a virtue right now.

Be kind, be patient and realize you aren't the hottest shiz in the place. Plus my parts hybrid is probably a nicer bike than his Cervélo or Trek Menoda or whatever other combination of those letter he might have. Nothing against those brands or people who might ride them necessarily just using something as an example.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.