Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

SS 29'er,...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

SS 29'er,...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 12:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
ISO a SS 29'er,...

I'm looking for a moderately priced SS 29'er to replace my Gravity SS 29'er. It's been a good bike for me, but when I had the bottom bracket swapped out the (now DOA) bike shop damaged the threads, and it's not going to last much longer. It's a disc brake model, and I currently have a 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub on it. Bulletproof setup for me, but I'm not exactly bombing mountain trails either. I'm more of a back road, dirt & gravel type rider. If anyone knows of a SS 29'er that they can recommend, since I can't seem to locate one, it would be greatly appriciated.
Old 06-26-21, 12:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Surly Karate Monkey frames seem to be available. SS 29er seems like a relatively niche product, so outside of bikesdirect there probably won't be many complete bikes at reasonable price.
Old 06-26-21, 12:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Kona Unit. Earlier models were 27.5, but the latest are 29".

I have the Unit X (geared version), and it's awesome.
Old 06-26-21, 05:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Most hardtail frames you see built SS have convertible drop outs. Salsa frames with alternators like my timber jack can be built to boost (141QR/148TA) or not, with the use of spacers under the alternator plates to get down to 135QR/142TA, and different alternator plates for QR, TA, or bolted. The Surly frames are built with intermediate spacing so you can jam in a boost or squeeze down on a regular, but you need their special spacers for a quick release or bolt style hub. The Kona frame above and Soma I think has the Tange copy of the paragon drops, I’d have to check