Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best kind of Weight lifting for Cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-27-21, 07:11 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Throughout the last several months, I've been pumping some iron. Typically in the 8-15 rep range to failure. Now I noticed lately, I do look more muscular and a bit leaner. It's a pretty good look that's hard to achieve through just bike riding. But I have noticed that longer rides have been tougher lately. However, I can't figure out if it's just because doing so much weight training makes it harder to have time or energy to ride as much or if it is the increase in muscles that is slowing me down a bit.

On one hand, I want to keep the look. But I want to keep progressing in my endurance as well. Do you recommend higher reps? The more I work out and the harder I work out, the less energy and time I have to devote to long-distance biking. So I want to balance it out and it seems a bit tricky. I don't want to have an offseason type routine, then an in-season routine. I'm just all around, all season. But I don't want to do too much biking but have no muscles. But I don't want to have such bulky muscles that I can't bike.
Old 07-27-21, 08:27 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
What's your lifting routine? How many days/week?
If you want to prioritize lifting, schedule one day of non lifting to do a long ride. You'll gain more endurance from increasing a single ride by 5 miles than increasing 5 rides by one mile.
Old 07-27-21, 08:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
The more I work out and the harder I work out, the less energy and time I have to devote to long-distance biking.
What mileage are these long distance rides?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-27-21 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 08:40 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Link: CYCLING STRENGTH & CONDITIONING GUIDE: Essential exercises for strength, core stability and flexibility.
By Phil Mosley
Old 07-28-21, 02:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I workout for 30 minutes five times a week at home without a weight set. I have a cheap dumbell set that I do different stuff with, many body resistant exercises, especially pushups and I have a duffel bag filled with weight that I use. If I don't do upper body workouts my arms turn into toothpicks with as much riding as I do. I could actually go to a good gym for free because I'm retired from the military and live close to Ft. Bragg but I don't need it.

I recommend that you take creatine, it helps with cycling as well. I use the inexpensive Six Star 100% creatine from Walmart. 1tbs every morning with a glass of water.

In 2015 after I retired and did nothing but cycling and was riding 500-800 miles a month I had shriveled down to 145lbs. Then I started doing what I posted above and took mass gainer for an extra 1500cal/day. In six months I was at 175 and everyone thought was on steroids. My average speed on the bike actually increased due to (my belief) the creatine. Then I backed down and stopped taking the mass gainer. Without it now I still maintain about 165lbs which is perfect for me at 5'10" and I'm not embarrassed to wear short sleeve shirts haha.
Old 07-28-21, 04:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What mileage are these long distance rides?
And, what kind of elevation?
Old 07-28-21, 04:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
After over a year out of the gym because of COVID I've returned. Bear in mind I'm a 75 yr old man. I try to ride 4 days a week with rides being around 20 mi. and about 1200-1500 ft of elevation for each ride. I also go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I try to stay away from big weights. An example of my routine would be bicep curls with 20 lbs (3X10) each arm. Then I do a lot machines for chest, shoulders, core, etc. I also do 3X10 reps of bridges and leg raises. My main issue on the bike is climbing. I'm about 10 lbs over where I want to be and, of course, down on power from when I was in my 30's. Although I can still do pretty well on the flats. My best time on a 1 mile flat segment was last year at 25 mph. But, no matter what I do it's all about health/fitness these days.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-28-21, 09:30 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
On days I don't ride I hit the gym. That is a good easy to keep schedule for me. I usually take 1-2 days a week off because of my current schedule. Sometimes on the weekend I will go for a 20-30 mile ride and hit the gym. I don't think there is a good type of weight lifting to make you better at cycling. If you want a muscly look hit the weights. If you want to be faster on the bike ride the bike.
Old 07-28-21, 10:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Wait until Carbonfiberboy sees this .......
Old 07-28-21, 11:00 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
But I don't want to have such bulky muscles that I can't bike.
Boy - wouldn't THAT be a tragedy? max sarcasm intended

Your question lacks sufficient supporting contextual information. In general people recreate and exercise as a response to a complicated matrix of psycho-social perceptions that confer amusement and satisfaction.

It is true that in some cases behaviors pertaining to these various physical activities can become neurotic, narcissistic and even self destructive.

I'm sure you'll find a balance or exercises that work. Just remember the old saw: Moderation in all things.
Old 07-28-21, 11:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Throughout the last several months, I've been pumping some iron. Typically in the 8-15 rep range to failure. Now I noticed lately, I do look more muscular and a bit leaner. It's a pretty good look that's hard to achieve through just bike riding. But I have noticed that longer rides have been tougher lately. However, I can't figure out if it's just because doing so much weight training makes it harder to have time or energy to ride as much or if it is the increase in muscles that is slowing me down a bit.

On one hand, I want to keep the look. But I want to keep progressing in my endurance as well. Do you recommend higher reps? The more I work out and the harder I work out, the less energy and time I have to devote to long-distance biking. So I want to balance it out and it seems a bit tricky. I don't want to have an offseason type routine, then an in-season routine. I'm just all around, all season. But I don't want to do too much biking but have no muscles. But I don't want to have such bulky muscles that I can't bike.
If long-distance biking is your main priority, then you need to do more biking and less lifting. Most strength training routines I see aimed at biking are pretty lightweight - usually 2x 20-30 min sessions of mostly body weight exercises like squats, lunges, planks etc and maybe a few kettlebell lifts and curls. The rest of the week is spent training on the bike. For example I do maybe on average 10 hours per week on the bike and less than an hour on strength training. I even cut out strength training altogether on heavy biking weeks, but do a bit more strength work during the winter when I'm not out riding so much. Guys who do a lot of serious pumping iron are not usually very good at endurance cycling. Especially if they are really bulked up with muscle. The two things are incompatible. But a sensible amount of complimentary strength work should make you a stronger cyclist.
Old 07-28-21, 11:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

This lifting probably isn't the best idea. There is stuff in a weight room that's much more likely to injure you than a water bottle.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-21, 12:41 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
You're not going to build endurance without repeated, prolonged cardio-vascular workouts. My limited experience is that you get very little of that lifting weights.
Brent
Old 07-28-21, 03:45 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I haven't found strength training for my legs adds much value to my bike riding. So the weight lifting I do is all upper body stuff for my arms, chest, and back.
Old 07-28-21, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
But I don't want to have such bulky muscles that I can't bike.
Lifting weights won't make you big. Eating huge amount of calories + lifting weights + limiting cardio workouts s what will make you big...My advice is to continue doing what you started. Keep lifting weights and continue to ride your bike. Don't worry about loosing bike performance and don't worry about getting too big.
Old 07-28-21, 07:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have and older bike so I lift about 21 lbs.

John
Old 07-29-21, 06:07 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If long-distance biking is your main priority, then you need to do more biking and less lifting. Most strength training routines I see aimed at biking are pretty lightweight - usually 2x 20-30 min sessions of mostly body weight exercises like squats, lunges, planks etc and maybe a few kettlebell lifts and curls. The rest of the week is spent training on the bike. For example I do maybe on average 10 hours per week on the bike and less than an hour on strength training. I even cut out strength training altogether on heavy biking weeks, but do a bit more strength work during the winter when I'm not out riding so much. Guys who do a lot of serious pumping iron are not usually very good at endurance cycling. Especially if they are really bulked up with muscle. The two things are incompatible. But a sensible amount of complimentary strength work should make you a stronger cyclist.
I have no problem keeping a super physical job (climbing arborist), weight training doing big lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, weighted dips, overhead press, etc) and still completing 200-600k rides

You just need to give your body time to adapt and get used to the new work load
Old 07-29-21, 06:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I have no problem keeping a super physical job (climbing arborist), weight training doing big lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, weighted dips, overhead press, etc) and still completing 200-600k rides

You just need to give your body time to adapt and get used to the new work load
So just do loads of everything, all of the time right? Then you just perform better at ALL of those activities simultaneously. Sure, sure you do.
Old 07-29-21, 06:38 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

So just do loads of everything, all of the time right? Then you just perform better at ALL of those activities simultaneously. Sure, sure you do.
Am I elite world class level? No.

But I'm happy that I can do a 40-50 hour work week climbing big trees, do full splits, deadlift 190kg and also complete sub 36 hour 600k's with a 29kph moving average. OH and 10 wide grip pulls in a row, why not.

I strive to have my body as balanced and functional in every way possible

Disclaimer : 27 years old.
Old 07-29-21, 06:42 AM
PeteHski

But I'm happy that I can do a 40-50 hour work week climbing big trees, do full splits, deadlift 190kg and also complete sub 36 hour 600k's with a 29kph moving average. OH and 10 wide grip pulls in a row, why not.

Sounds amazing. But don't you think you would do even better at the cycling if you weren't working a 40-50 hour week at the same time? As you imply yourself, you are an all-rounder. A Jack of all-trades. Which is absolutely fine, but not really what the OP was asking about. Ask yourself how the pro cyclists spend their time. I can bet they don't climb big trees for 40-50 hours a week!

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-29-21 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 07:08 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Sounds amazing. But don't you think you would do even better at the cycling if you weren't working a 40-50 hour week at the same time? As you imply yourself, you are an all-rounder. A Jack of all-trades. Which is absolutely fine, but not really what the OP was asking about. Ask yourself how the pro cyclists spend their time. I can bet they don't climb big trees for 40-50 hours a week!
OP was asking about a balanced "all-season/year round" training regime including cycling and weight lifting. I'm simply pointing out it's possible

I wouldn't be as happy if I didn't get to climb trees all the time 😊

He made no hints about becoming a pro or performing at elite levels

I can keep up with 35-37k average group rides. That's enough for me as a recreational cyclist who rides bikes because he enjoys riding bikes 😁
Old 07-29-21, 07:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

600Ks shame 99.9% of BFers, regardless of age! From what I gather, OP is stuck in the under 60K range and hoping to improve.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-29-21, 09:57 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
If you don't bulk up easily, you simply will not. I focus on lower back, upper back, abs, and to a lesser degree, arms and legs...lighter weight and high reps with 1-2 heavy days a month. I find that the abs/back/triceps work is most beneficial. I'm finding myself less fatigued when my abs and lower back can handle more weight/strain over hours of riding. Plus, I am less likely to get an injury.
Old 07-30-21, 04:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
OP isn't a pro cyclist and I don't think that anybody who posts here on these forums is a true pro cyclist who gets paid to ride. Most are just casual riders who would benefit from doing other exercises besides just riding a bike.
Old 07-30-21, 05:40 AM
PeteHski

OP was asking about a balanced "all-season/year round" training regime including cycling and weight lifting. I'm simply pointing out it's possible

I wouldn't be as happy if I didn't get to climb trees all the time 😊

He made no hints about becoming a pro or performing at elite levels

I can keep up with 35-37k average group rides. That's enough for me as a recreational cyclist who rides bikes because he enjoys riding bikes 😁
I see your point, but I very much doubt the OP or 99% of the rest could cope with your obviously massive weekly TSS and not have some fatigue.

I would bet that if the OP dials back his weight sessions a notch or two then his endurance rides will be less tiring - especially if they are the next day.

My point about pros was that they don’t smash themselves on the weights before long endurance rides. The volumes are all relative, but the principles of accumulated training stress and fatigue apply to all. Even you!
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.