Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 05-08-16, 07:46 PM
adamrogers2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next Q, and the last one for now:

Is there any compelling reason to run clinchers on the track? They are easier to mount and deal with flats; and there is more variety of clinchers available in pre-built and custom-built form.

Performance wise though, tubs will have nicer feel and be much lighter, just like on the road. Seems that as long as one is ok with dealing with glue and having somewhat less choice in models, there is no reason not to run tubulars.

Not trying to start a fight or anything with this question; just thinking about getting the pieces together for a track bike build.

Many thanks
Old 05-08-16, 11:00 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I run clinchers on my track bike, and have ridden them on velodromes much steeper than your typical 250m. They are only a problem if you flat, you are very likely to have the tire rolled from the rim. At pressure, you should be fine.

Tubs, if properly glued, are much easier to ride out in the event of a flat. I have safely ridden out a blowout in the middle of a points race on a flat rear tub. It was scary, but it stayed on. It was the only flat I have ever had on a track before. If you are diligent in wiping your tires, the chances of a flat are rare.

The 58mm BB drop isn't too big of a deal, especially for beginners, as they typically don't have the skill or bravery to go slow enough to really catch a pedal on the track. All a high BB does is allow you to go slower without catching a pedal, but there are riding techniques to extend your range for going slower. You will just end up using them at a slightly higher speed. A higher BB is better, but a lower on isn't necessarily a deal breaker.
Old 05-08-16, 11:44 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was reading upupup and I don't understand example session.
"15 minutes easy rolling laps on an easy gear (eg 82") with a gradual windup from 30km/h up to around 40km/h if unassisted, if a motorbike is available, the windup can go up to 45-60km/h depending on the fitness and training phase, alternatively this can be done on rollers.5 mins easy noodling around the infield
One rolling acceleration for 30-50 meters
5 mins easy noodling around the infield
One flying effort, accelerating off the bank and doing 0-100 metres at pace
20 minutes rest"
Does rolling acceleration mean standing start ?
Sample training templates ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling
Old 05-09-16, 12:15 AM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Does rolling acceleration mean standing start ?
No. What you're doing is activating the muscles for the later efforts without smashing them. I typically roll from about 30km/h.
Old 05-09-16, 12:18 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
No. What you're doing is activating the muscles for the later efforts without smashing them. I typically roll from about 30km/h.
So it means I have to accelerate slowly up to 30km/h?
Sorry I am having trouble understanding
Old 05-09-16, 02:17 AM
adamrogers2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
The 58mm BB drop isn't too big of a deal, especially for beginners, as they typically don't have the skill or bravery to go slow enough to really catch a pedal on the track. All a high BB does is allow you to go slower without catching a pedal, but there are riding techniques to extend your range for going slower. You will just end up using them at a slightly higher speed. A higher BB is better, but a lower on isn't necessarily a deal breaker.
Can you please elaborate on what "slow enough" means? I assume your talking about the business-end of a sprint just before someone makes the jump. Motoring along at 30km/hr in warmup laps should be no issue I assume?
Old 05-09-16, 02:22 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
"rolling acceleration" is what some call a "rolling jump". It's a rapid acceleration from a slow-ish, rolling pace (like 15-20mph) up to a high speed, then shut it down and relax.

So, it's like a standing start...but you are rolling
Old 05-09-16, 02:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by adamrogers2009
Next Q, and the last one for now:

Is there any compelling reason to run clinchers on the track? They are easier to mount and deal with flats; and there is more variety of clinchers available in pre-built and custom-built form.

Performance wise though, tubs will have nicer feel and be much lighter, just like on the road. Seems that as long as one is ok with dealing with glue and having somewhat less choice in models, there is no reason not to run tubulars.

Not trying to start a fight or anything with this question; just thinking about getting the pieces together for a track bike build.

Many thanks
Look into Tufo Tubular Clinchers. I like them. They are tubular tires with a bead installed so you can mount them to clincher rims. They are difficult to install (tight fit), but are sort of the best of both worlds with tubular feel and high pressure and easy to change like clinchers. But, they are sort of expensive and sort of heavy.
Old 05-09-16, 09:55 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
So it means I have to accelerate slowly up to 30km/h?
Sorry I am having trouble understanding
If you're on track, use the banking to get you up to speed, then do your effort. If you're on the road, a little downhill is ideal.
Old 05-09-16, 05:30 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Next Q:

I don't have a track bike, and I am not in a rush to get one - need to find ample opportunity to use one first, then try different setups on rentals as much as possible to determine fit.

One burning question though.
Several of the frames that have caught my attention have 58mm bb drops. One of the tracks I'd ride is a 250m steep-banked indoor: the Izu velodrome. Am I correct in assuming that frames with that bb drop should be avoided?

Thanks
Does the Izu velodrome have rental bikes? If so ride a couple around the size you need and see what geometry suits you. My approach (and that of several other track riders I know) was to buy a used bike and modify it using used or low cost components. Then upgrade to a better bike as you (along with advice) figure out what bike configuration you need.

Re BB drop my previous frame was 55 mm (current frame is 45 mm) and I have had no problem riding at 19 mph on a 41-1/2 degree banking (I use 650 mm cranks and Shimano SPD-SL pedals). Crank length, tire height and pressure, crankset Q, and pedal type all affect clearance. (That said I recommend a frame with low BB drop.)
Old 05-10-16, 06:17 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can you please elaborate on what "slow enough" means? I assume your talking about the business-end of a sprint just before someone makes the jump. Motoring along at 30km/hr in warmup laps should be no issue I assume?
From my experience (250m track + 55mm drop + 172.5mm cranks + 22mm tires) slow enough is 25kph. If your crank arms are 170mm or less, you should be good on just about any track with any track bike. The two places where you are likely to tap a pedal if your are not careful is during a track stand and when you ride up to the wall for the start of a race.

If you are new to track racing you will probably need to get some formal training/experience before some tracks will allow you to ride.

Last edited by dunderhi; 05-10-16 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Metric conversion fix
Old 05-10-16, 09:44 AM
ILikeParmesan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for you all.

I have a road bike and an indoor bike trainer. Should I:

1. Sell the road bike and trainer and use those funds to buy a track bike + rollers.

2. Keep the road bike + trainer and save up for a year to buy a track bike + rollers.

3. Wait to see how I do this season with the loaner bikes before making any decisions.

I'm not interested in racing road to be honest. However, I wouldn't mind entering my local crit over the summer just for the hell of it. I'm using a loaner bike at the local track. I would like to focus on track racing + training so I'm interested to see what everyone's opinion is here.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-16, 11:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ILikeParmesan
Question for you all.

I have a road bike and an indoor bike trainer. Should I:

1. Sell the road bike and trainer and use those funds to buy a track bike + rollers.

2. Keep the road bike + trainer and save up for a year to buy a track bike + rollers.

3. Wait to see how I do this season with the loaner bikes before making any decisions.

I'm not interested in racing road to be honest. However, I wouldn't mind entering my local crit over the summer just for the hell of it. I'm using a loaner bike at the local track. I would like to focus on track racing + training so I'm interested to see what everyone's opinion is here.

Thanks.
Forget rollers for now.

You will get more practical training use out of a road bike than rollers. The road bike is useful because you can't train on your track bike in the streets.

You can use the indoor trainer for your road bike or your track bike.

You can't use the loaner bikes forever at the track. Eventually, you will need your own.

Don't worry about rollers for now. A road bike, track bike, and indoor trainer are enough to take you a long way. Rollers are generally only good for warm up, cool down, some basic aerobic workouts, and fine-tuning your pedal stroke. It's sort of an advanced training tool. Sounds like you are just starting out. You probably won't need them yet.
Old 05-10-16, 12:00 PM
ILikeParmesan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Forget rollers for now.

You will get more practical training use out of a road bike than rollers. The road bike is useful because you can't train on your track bike in the streets.

You can use the indoor trainer for your road bike or your track bike.

You can't use the loaner bikes forever at the track. Eventually, you will need your own.

Don't worry about rollers for now. A road bike, track bike, and indoor trainer are enough to take you a long way. Rollers are generally only good for warm up, cool down, some basic aerobic workouts, and fine-tuning your pedal stroke. It's sort of an advanced training tool. Sounds like you are just starting out. You probably won't need them yet.
Sounds good, thanks. I'll stick with what I have and buy a track bike when I can.
Old 05-10-16, 12:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Sounds good, thanks. I'll stick with what I have and buy a track bike when I can.
Good luck and read through this thread. You will eventually need more than a bike to start training and/or racing: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ack-racer.html
Old 05-10-16, 12:25 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The Boulder Valley Velodrome basis membership is $400 per year and includes track certification (this get you a cat 4 license upgrade in the USA) and bike/shoe rental for your first year.
Maybe your local velodrome has a similar membership.
Old 05-10-16, 12:26 PM
ILikeParmesan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Good luck and read through this thread. You will eventually need more than a bike to start training and/or racing: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ack-racer.html
Thanks, I'm reading through. That's the only downside of the sport, it's expensive. I used to play rugby and all you really needed was shorts, cleats, and a mouth guard.
Old 05-10-16, 12:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
The Boulder Valley Velodrome basis membership is $400 per year and includes track certification (this get you a cat 4 license upgrade in the USA) and bike/shoe rental for your first year.
Wow, that's very generous! I think DLV's policy is: Pay for the certification classed (around $60) then you get to use a rental bike for the classes and up to 4 race nights afterwards.

The problem being that, with limited staff, there won't be anyone to:

- Run the bike room (check out, check in)
- Maintain the bikes (more use = more maintenance required)

Plus, the fleet bikes are generally for the kids/juniors program...at DLV.

Thanks, I'm reading through. That's the only downside of the sport, it's expensive. I used to play rugby and all you really needed was shorts, cleats, and a mouth guard.
Yeah, it's a pricey sport for sure. No doubt about that.
Old 05-10-16, 12:55 PM
ILikeParmesan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
There is and I'm thankful it is available. It's very generous and I'll be using the rental for the entire season. Plus I'll be a cat 4 in a few weeks.
Old 05-10-16, 03:43 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I used to play rugby too, and the costs before running out on the field are more now than the racing licenses for myself and my 2 kids put together. True the gear CAN cost a lot more, but there's plenty of people out there winning races on $3-400 bikes. You don't have to spend a huge amount on the sport to be good at it, but upgradeitis is a serious and detrimental-to-your-wallet affliction for cyclists!
Old 05-13-16, 10:31 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What on earth are those little red goozers on the left fork blade near the hub?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
worlds13-wpursuit.jpg (65.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-13-16, 10:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
What on earth are those little red goozers on the left fork blade near the hub?

It's part of the electronic lap counting system. I'm not that familiar with it. But, it's mainly used in bunch races to verify lap counts (who's on the lead lap? who is a lap down? etc...)

Old 05-14-16, 09:32 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That system gives you real time lap times and 200m times- so you can log in between efforts and check your times..

Pretty cool stuff- might still be in the testing phase- not sure it's available to everyone yet
Old 05-14-16, 11:08 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
That system gives you real time lap times and 200m times- so you can log in between efforts and check your times..

Pretty cool stuff- might still be in the testing phase- not sure it's available to everyone yet

Sport timing systems - MYLAPS Sports Timing
Old 05-14-16, 05:59 PM
Pole Line Stand

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I'm investigating timing systems to invest in for training purposes. Perhaps the most prevalent use of the timing system would be short velodrome trials, i.e. 200 meters and standing laps. I know how exorbitant some electronic timing systems can be. I did look into the Free Lap System etc. The advantages here are reasonably priced and simple to use. The disadvantages are the necessity to use a watch on the handlebar and the need to be within a short distance of the transmitter at the start. I was hoping that there is a system that uses a tape that is triggered by the wheel hitting at the start and finish.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that there is a method for timing via video recorder. However, the timer would need to be manually started.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.