Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

France’s Most Wanted (Wo)Man

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

France’s Most Wanted (Wo)Man

Old 06-28-21, 05:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
...How was she supposed to know ...
Same as everything else from auto racing to giving cyclist 3 feet. It is her business to know when she goes to the venue. How - is not something that needs to be determined.

I get it - a bunch of lawyers will argue both ways. It ultimately becomes a political discussion about being responsible for what you do, or given a pass because you didn't know, meant well etc. You can tell my leanings from above.
Old 06-28-21, 05:39 PM
Doge

wut about what specifically? But to rephrase: she and her sign were standing still on the furthest edge of the asphalt, and a cyclist hit her. Who is at fault? Are we allowed to hit a pedestrian that's standing still on the fringes of the bike lane?
If you are racing and the road is closed and permitted - yes*. Just like if you cross the freeway cars are allowed to hit you. You are not to do that. How you know that is something you need to figure out.
*Allowed is a trick word - basically the person controlling doing the hitting of the person not supposed to be there will not be charged.
Do you know of anything different?
Old 06-28-21, 05:44 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by tyrion
It's not a crime, it's just a stupid mistake amplified by bad luck.
Different country have different standards. Accidents due to negligence can be crimes (the axe handle flying off), or at a minimum, you are responsible for paying for the damage and maybe some pain and suffering.
Likes For Doge:
Old 06-28-21, 08:55 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious ASO and really all events promote fans approaching the route, except barricades at the finish and on the top of climbs. So for a racer, it's part of the job dealing with it. By the same token, riders often hop on the sidewalk / gutters especially on the pave sections. There clearly can be an edge coming up the outside but it also has its risks. I have more dislike of the crazy moto and vehicle drivers, who are supposed to be licensed.

scott s.
Old 06-28-21, 09:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
wut about what specifically? But to rephrase: she and her sign were standing still on the furthest edge of the asphalt, and a cyclist hit her. Who is at fault? Are we allowed to hit a pedestrian that's standing still on the fringes of the bike lane?
How many hours of professional bike racing have you watched, total?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-28-21, 09:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
How was she supposed to know?
Perhaps watch the race like all the other spectators near her. Rather than shoving her sign into the middle of the road and smiling for the motorcycle camera.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-28-21, 10:47 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I believe they plan to take legal action against her.

This should make other spectators think before they do stupid things.
Old 06-29-21, 06:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
How was she supposed to know the peloton would be using 100% of the width of the road?
Uh, by paying attention? I know it's called "paying" attention, but it's actually free!
Old 06-29-21, 07:09 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Different country have different standards. Accidents due to negligence can be crimes (the axe handle flying off), or at a minimum, you are responsible for paying for the damage and maybe some pain and suffering.
I found this in an article in the Guardian:The French media suggested that, if found guilty of an offence, the culprit could be subjected to a custodial sentence.

“According to article 222-20 of the penal code, the spectator would risk a maximum penalty of one year of imprisonment as well as a fine of 15,000 euros,” stated L’Equipe.
Old 06-29-21, 07:23 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 452 Posts
There is almost as much culpable stupidity going on in this thread as there was on the road.

Don't fire warning shots. Leave warning bodies. ASO find her and sue in a civil proceeding, with extreme prejudice. Even if it is a loss leader. For the precedent.

Whether it is criminal or not is for the gendarmerie to weigh in on. I hope they do.

Stop over-reacting to bottles. Stop under-reacting to fan assaults.
Old 06-29-21, 09:27 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Not that I condone what she did, and just to be a Devil's advocate: she and her sign were standing there in a steady state long before the peloton got there. How was she supposed to know the peloton would be using 100% of the width of the road? Just watch any race, there's lots of fans stepping on the course's asphalt, this occasion just ended really poorly. If anything, could she sue the rider for being negligent and hitting her?

In general, what's the official ruling (at-fault and insurance-wise) when a racing cyclist hits and injures a spectator be it on the course's asphalt, or just inches off the course on the grass?
Tony Martin said she swung out seconds before the collision.

As for suing Tony Martin, Jumbo Visma, et al, yes she can do that, but let's be real here. Regardless of the merit of such a claim (there is none), her sign was written poorly on janky corrugated cardboard. Her broke ass can't afford a lawyer and I find it unlikely that any good lawyer would take that case on contingency.

In all likelihood, she probably won't even be able to afford a defense lawyer and will succumb to a default judgment.
Old 06-29-21, 09:34 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I found this in an article in the Guardian:The French media suggested that, if found guilty of an offence, the culprit could be subjected to a custodial sentence.

“According to article 222-20 of the penal code, the spectator would risk a maximum penalty of one year of imprisonment as well as a fine of 15,000 euros,” stated L’Equipe.
This is for a criminal case.

However, I think Tour organizers and maybe a host of other plaintiffs, including teams and individual riders, will be independently suing this person in civil court. Considering the circumstances, they probably won't recover any money, but it sets precedent.

As for the individual, she'll have to deal with the stress of having to unsuccessfully defend a lawsuit and possibly file bankruptcy in the end (dunno what bankruptcy laws are like in the EU, but they can't be that far off). She probably doesn't have any assets anyway, but they might take her stash of cardboard and yellow raincoats.

They could also garnish her wages in the future, but I don't know how much she gets paid as a village idiot.

Last edited by colombo357; 06-29-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-29-21, 09:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I am going to be disappointed if this thread doesn't hit at least 10 pages.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-29-21, 09:41 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

All this assumes that she will be identified. As she has yet to be, the odds are diminishing.
Old 06-29-21, 09:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
All this assumes that she will be identified. As she has yet to be, the odds are diminishing.
Between the media attention (this is after all one of the biggest regular sporting events on this planet) and all the social media we have now, the odds she is not recognized by more than several is remote. Eventually, someone's going to talk. (For reference, observe the silence around the Jan 6 participants. Several hundred have been identified.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-29-21, 12:38 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(For reference, observe the silence around the Jan 6 participants. Several hundred have been identified.)
Yep, it there is a will, also a motivated public participation...

In this particular setting, all spectators should have been standing behind that small ditch. I would think that spectator supervision should be (or maybe is) a responsibility for the local race organizing township through which the races passes (if they don't manage it properly, they could be sued). Same as they are responsible for local road closures and markings and all that comes with the racing passing through your town.

You don't get people like this around roads outside towns (where it can be regulated by local forces), except in those big hills but there the peloton is naturally spread out and going much slower.

I don't see much difference between a bike race or auto rally where for the latter it is a responsibility of each township to mark off the areas with those yellow tapes where spectators should not be standing and are required to police the area to insure compliance. Though it took a number of dead spectators before such rules were put in place (but that is different country from country).
Old 06-29-21, 04:16 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not much to say that hasn't been said. I was watching live feed, and the confusion was crazy at first, then the video feed from the lead camera motorcycle came in. If you haven't seen a clear example that starts a couple of seconds before, try to find one. When she saw the camera pointing in her direction, without looking at the peloton right behind her, she leaned into the road, raised her arm straight out, holding the far end of the sign and in the process clotheslined Tony Martin. He had no time-or room to do anything.
In another cycling group, some troll was saying that it was 'just a piece of cardboard and he'd run into branches on his mountain bike and not fallen off," He had his ass handed to him.
I understand she showed presence of mind after, shedding the yellow coat and disappearing into the crowd. I would've been a completely horrified mess. But then, I learned along time ago, never put your back to a race, whether it be foot, bike, or auto.
Likes For decosse:
Old 06-29-21, 04:39 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Unfortunately with the selfie generation, mugging for the camera is not some one-off behavior. I've seen plenty of close calls on televised races where the spectator gets tunnel vision and is oblivious to riders coming up. More with flags than signs though. As far as Didi and other cosplay types, it does add some "color" but prompts more idiocy, like wearing horned viking hats.

scott s.
Old 06-30-21, 07:04 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Phil just announced on the live broadcast that she has been arrested and is in custody.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 06-30-21, 07:32 AM
MinnMan

The person is accused of involuntarily causing injury and faces a fine of 1,500 euros.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pol...-france-crash/

Seems like a slap on the wrist, so to speak.

I suppose that this is separate from the civil action initiated by ASO?
Old 06-30-21, 07:35 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by MinnMan

Seems like a slap on the wrist, so to speak.

I suppose that this is separate from the civil action initiated by ASO?
And any individual actions any of the affected riders might pursue. These could all add up.
Old 06-30-21, 09:01 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
And any individual actions any of the affected riders might pursue. These could all add up.
It won't add up because she's likely judgment proof, from a financial standpoint. But it will, hopefully, send a message to other careless fans. I hope it also sends a message to the Tour. I didn't realize that just before the riders arrive, cars ahead toss of Swag, etc. to rile up the crowds. Of course, without excited, engaged fans, there is no professional cycling for long, but it seems like between those pep cars and the racers, they should have a police car/motorcycle or two clearly announcing that fans need to keep a distance from the road for safety reasons. I was surprised to learn that doesn't already happen. That isn't a perfect solution, but might cause most people to think a bit harder about where they're standing.
Old 06-30-21, 10:07 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I can't find anything online about who it is and what is happening to her
Old 06-30-21, 10:33 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-30-21, 10:57 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by goose70
It won't add up because she's likely judgment proof, from a financial standpoint. But it will, hopefully, send a message to other careless fans. I hope it also sends a message to the Tour. I didn't realize that just before the riders arrive, cars ahead toss of Swag, etc. to rile up the crowds. Of course, without excited, engaged fans, there is no professional cycling for long, but it seems like between those pep cars and the racers, they should have a police car/motorcycle or two clearly announcing that fans need to keep a distance from the road for safety reasons. I was surprised to learn that doesn't already happen. That isn't a perfect solution, but might cause most people to think a bit harder about where they're standing.
Eh, we'll see what happens if this does in fact end up in the courts. Aside from any judgements or legal financial penalties, there is the cost of representation on what could be multiple civil suits or whatever potentially gets thrown her way. There is the time and stress involved in dealing with that, the stress from being pretty much infamous around the world once her name gets out there, etc.

So I still feel that things will add up, maybe not in the sense of multiple fines or judgements against her, but in the end it could be quite a spanking from all the rest of the fallout from her negligence. Time will tell though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.