Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Drop bar road ebike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Drop bar road ebike

Old 01-06-22, 06:44 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 600 Posts
My point is there's no way a 40 pound bike can be svelte, well maybe to a 350 pound rider.
Old 01-07-22, 04:53 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
My point is there's no way a 40 pound bike can be svelte, well maybe to a 350 pound rider.
Did you just make your own point go moot?

I'm used to riding 300+ lb. motorcycles, even in NYC traffic they feel plenty 'svelte' to me.
I don't think it's the bike's fault for not being 'svelte' for the ride.
Old 01-07-22, 09:39 AM
2old

Just because a 40 pound bike makes the junk you ride look svelte doesn't mean anything to me. That's my opinion of the bike. You're welcome to yours and your frame of reference. I'll just ignore your tripe from now on!

Last edited by 2old; 01-07-22 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-22, 10:47 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Just because a 40 pound bike makes the junk you ride look svelte doesn't mean anything to me.
That's my opinion of the bike. You're welcome to yours and your frame of reference. I'll just ignore your tripe from now on!
Sure, anyone can have an opinion, just as my relatives that tells me every year that cycling/motorcycling is dangerous,
I'm going to kill myself on a bike if I keep riding, meanwhile they've never ridden a bike themselves.
In order for your opinion to be valid, you need to have ridden the specific bikes to make a comparison.
Can specify the different ebikes that you've ridden that comes equipped with cast wheels?
Can you specify which junk that I ride you refer?
Ignore my posts just means that you can't even provide evidence to support your own claims; which pretty much makes all your posts BS.

Last edited by cat0020; 01-07-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-07-22, 02:55 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Canyon ebikes starts at about $5700, for the purpose of casual riding that's a huge investment when compared to $3k.
I was thinking in pounds, so their "casual riding" bikes are £2,899 - £3,299. Considering the qualiy of the base bike, and the integration of the electronics, it is a good buy.

But then again when the first ebike came out, it cost about $6000. It was and is still crazy money when I can build something comparable (for my needs) for a couple hundred dollars. Still riding that darn thing 9 years later.

And yeah, it is svelt per 2olds requirements. IMHO, there is a HUGE difference between a 30lb and a 40lb+ bike. The 30lb bike is well within the range of a hard tail mountain bike and close to what many gravel bikes weigh. And more importantly, it rides like a bike not a moped. the bikes 50lb+ are more like mopeds to me. They are not light on their feet like I define a bike to be.
Likes For chas58:
Old 01-12-22, 07:09 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

My conversion. Bionx is now out of business. This bike rides like a dream. However, for the amount I paid for the bike and the conversion kit many years ago, you can get a lot of e-bike for the same price. I'm happy with this bike, but e-bikes have come a long way since this conversion. I'll most likely revert this back to a touring bike when the battery or motor is no longer useful and buy an off the rack e-bike. (It probably won't be a drop bar.)
Likes For InTheRain:
Old 01-13-22, 12:46 AM
2old

Too bad; BionX had a lot going for it, but good management of resources apparently wasn't one of them. I was impressed immensely by their D-500 system. Haven't heard from you in a long time ITR; welcome back.
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-25-22, 07:07 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I ride with a guy that has a Specialized Creo Turbo. I ride vintage steel racing bikes just because I like the way they ride not because I’m fast. When we ride together he rides it without the assist and it works fine. I think his bike weighs 28lbs so not much heavier than my lugged steel classics. We seem well matched even though he is retired and rides a lot more than I do. The only thing that keeps me from looking at one of those more seriously is the price . I like the idea of being able to climb better and even extending my distance for the amount of time I have for riding but cannot justify the 7k price tag. It does check all the boxes for me , 28mph, light weight compared to other assist bikes, and range . It even looks ok .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-26-22, 08:36 AM
mclewis1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
... I like the idea of being able to climb better and even extending my distance for the amount of time I have for riding but cannot justify the 7k price tag. It does check all the boxes for me , 28mph, light weight compared to other assist bikes, and range . It even looks ok .
That's about why I adapted my steel "classic" (is a 20 year old steel Surly CrossCheck now "classic"?) ... but done with a less than $1500 budget (perhaps about $3k if I had to buy a CrossCheck or Straggler new). I give up some visuals and a few pounds to the lovely Creo but have a substantially larger battery. I already had the battery from a commuter ebike but if I was only building up a road bike I would have used a smaller model.
Likes For mclewis1:
Old 02-24-22, 12:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I have a couple of Trek road bikes and enjoy them. I am 70 and find I struggle on hills even in granny gear. I see Trek has the Domane+ in electric. It is, of course, very heavy compared to my old school Domane. Does the weight skew the road bike experience when under pedal power alone, and are there other drop bar road ebike options out there?

Mike

There are two flavors of Domane e-bikes out there. The heavy one is the Domane+ and the lighter one is the Domane+ LT.

My wife has a Canondale that is somewhat similar to the heavier Domane+. On relatively flat rides, she sometimes forgets to turn it on, and doesn't notice a huge difference in handling.

There are many additional options. Pivot makes some really nice ones; they will definitely make your wallet lighter.
Old 02-24-22, 06:54 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Guess who gets my vote for Mr Obvious today? Only posted because there might be an individual interested in the technology.
It's too bad there is no information at all available about its technology, only the claim that it's great and it's light. This bike isn't cheap, although talk is.