Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

In Search of Tires-BikeE CT

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-10-21, 08:22 PM
Crabbybahstid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Greets! Have resurrected my BikeE CT, and have had the ancient tires start chunking tread and developing sidewall cracks. The OE tires were Cheng Shin; 55-85 PSI. I would like to go back to that pressure range. Other than not wanting slicks (we ride multi-use trails a good bit), I'm not picky. I have given up on finding matched brands/models for the front-rear tires, but would like to buy from one vendor if possible. I can find the Kenda Kwest high pressure blackwall for the front (40-305 or 16x1.50), but am having essentially no luck finding a "high pressure" option for the rear (47-406 or 20 X 1.75). All assistance appreciated.
Old 10-11-21, 07:08 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon with Green Guard, 20x 1.75 75psi

You can probably find them much cheaper at BikeInn or Bike24, though delivery wouldn’t be free. But they usually ship up to four tires for about the same price as a single one so it pays to stock up.
Old 10-11-21, 08:39 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
May I suggest a BMX tire for your rear. I use the 1.4" version of this 406 tire on my 2013 Catrike 700. I get between 3,000 and 4,000 miles between replacements. It replaced the Schwalbe tires that came on the trike. I've used Schwalbe in the distant past and never got satisfactory mileage or performance out of them. This one is suitably rugged and half the price of the Schwalbe tire.'Tioga Powerblock Tire - 20 X 1.75 Clincher Wire Black 60tpi https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/571-4...gaAugxEALw_wcB
The narrower version of this tire has a pressure range of 35 to 80 psi
Old 10-12-21, 11:48 AM
Crabbybahstid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While the search continues, and at the risk of opening one of those "no real answer" discussions, how important/beneficial is it to be able to run higher pressures? I've seen road bikes go from 19mm sew-ups at 150 PSI to 23-25mm or wider and 90 PSI. My brain won't let me run road tires lower than about that, but on the CT, I've run 75 F&R, on tires spec'd at up to 80 or 85. A lot of the 16s and 20s I've found (and not kid tires) max out at 60. What do I lose if I'm running that soft, or looking in the other direction, what do I gain at 75?
Old 10-12-21, 06:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
The pendulum is swinging back towards fatter tires and lower pressures, unless speed is the primary/overriding goal. In road bikes context, 32-38mm tires at 85psi are becoming more popular, rather than 23mm at 120psi. They're 'almost' as fast as the skinny tires, and a whole lot more comfortable and less vulnerable to pinch flats.
Old 10-16-21, 04:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Blazing Saddles correctly links tire pressure with tire section. 'High pressure' is meaningless by itself and 55psi - 85psi would not ever be max psi for the same size of tire. 55psi is a high pressure for a 2" tire and 60psi probably the max for most brands regardless of quality though Schalbe tires go to 70psi in the 50mm. A 25mm tire would not even stay on the rim at 55psi. I used to run my 25mm at 110psi. Now I use 80psi or 90psi. No lower. My 2" tires are still functional at 30psi. They start feeling sloppy around 25psi. The recent popularity of larger section (35mm - 47mm) is meant for gravel riding. For 'speed' the small section at very high pressure still cannot be beaten. If you come to a street race with 35mm @ 80psi you are going to be humiliated regardless of how strong you are.
Old 10-18-21, 05:01 PM
Crabbybahstid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I followed the advice of VegasTriker and went with a Maxxis Torch BMX tire for the rear. Correct size, 120TPI construction, 110PSI max. The best I could find for the 16" front was a Kenda Kwest. That tire (in whatever variation) has been rated as high as 110PSI, but the one that came in is marked 65PSI. As far as the front tire is from the rider, 65 should be fine. Thanks for the help. Ride on, all!
Old 10-19-21, 05:18 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If you come to a street race with 35mm @ 80psi you are going to be humiliated regardless of how strong you are.
It's doubtful that anyone on a Bike-E is going to be racing. This is in spite of the old Bike-E ads which touted the speed of recumbents - other recumbents, that is! It's a good path bike, though.
Old 10-20-21, 07:06 PM
Crabbybahstid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thought I'd throw some praise at the shop I obtained the Maxxis tire from: Universal Cycles. Ordered from Oregon on Monday, delivered and installed on Wednesday. Mighty hard to beat that.
Likes For Crabbybahstid:
Old 10-23-21, 11:25 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabbybahstid
Thought I'd throw some praise at the shop I obtained the Maxxis tire from: Universal Cycles. Ordered from Oregon on Monday, delivered and installed on Wednesday. Mighty hard to beat that.
I've had UC as a walking distance LBS for over 5 years on Portland's east side. Mid-Pandemic they abruptly moved to a suburb more than 15mi. away. That may as well be another state to a car free lifestyler. I had some items I bought 'ship to store' a couple weeks ago when I had a rental van available but I had to return it before I ever got over to UC. I called them up yesterday afternoon and said I would pay the home shipping charges if they just sent them to me.

UC is no stranger to mail order. A huge part of their business is mail order. They said no problem I would probably have the items tomorrow (today). I scoffed. It was after 3 in the afternoon. You know I am posting because the items are here in my hot little hands just about 24 hours after asking for them to be shipped. And they didn't even charge me the shipping. I threw in a bottle of chain lube on the order and they sent the whole thing free shipping. I'd like to be mad at them for moving away but how can I be when they offer this level of turnaround?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-17-21, 09:54 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
If you wanted something higher pressure, Schwalbe made a 16 in. and 20 in. Marathon RACER tire that is 85 psi max and has the level 4 protection too! I'm using the 16 in. RACER on the front of my 2007 EZ-1 SX now as my recumbent shop didn't have any of the Marathon Original (Greenguard) tires in stock. I've used the Maxxis Hookworms, they are a really good and tough commuter tire IMHO. I'm not sure they make the 16 in. version but some shops might still have some stock? The Kwest tires well they SUCK, they get a flat just looking at a thorn IMHO, even the rare one's that have the supposed "kevlar insert" were very flat prone! FYI.

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 12-27-21, 08:23 PM
macbobster

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Continental Ride Tour

The Continental Ride Tour is available in 16",20" and 26". Also the Contact Urban if you can find them come in those sizes as well. Really like the Ride Tour tires on the old Haluzak. I have a 20" on the front and run it at 50psi. On the back I use a Panaracer T Serve 26"(450g) @ 30psi. Both are 40mm wide and roll easy and smooth. I like to ride as fast as the next guy but not at the expense of comfort/fun.

Cheers, MAC

Last edited by macbobster; 12-27-21 at 08:33 PM.