Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Using your Imagination…

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Using your Imagination…

Old 10-15-21, 07:43 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Using your Imagination…

On my way to work, I can’t help but wonder what life would be like if the freeways were closed for a week and you could use a bike on them. It would save a lot of time and effort.

I also imagine what it would be like if there were no beg buttons (crosswalk buttons) and all lights were automatically set up so they gave a walk signal without having to find the button and push it. Or maybe they were set for bikes and pedestrians first, and cars came second.

I also want a lane dedicated to bike riders at our local Starbucks. That would be awesome. I guess I could ride in the car drive thru lane, but that’s not quite as fun to imagine.

And I’d like to have a steamroller to flatten and repair some of the bike paths. Roads get resurfaced every so often, but not bike paths.

And then one day, I’ve always wanted to park a utility truck in the middle of the road since they seem oblivious to the fact that parking on bike paths messes up the commute to everyone who uses that path that day.

Anyone else dream of changing things while riding?

Likes For Alligator:
Old 10-15-21, 08:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
better off putting such dreams of imagination in a pipe.

How about imagining all bicycle paths/roadways for riding were contiguous & well maintained both for service & safety (malicious activity)
Old 10-15-21, 09:29 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 325 Posts
Dream? Better to live it.

In Bolivia we have “paro cívico” which is a general strike. No motor vehicle traffic.
Old 10-15-21, 09:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Enjoy where you ride.

Old 10-16-21, 08:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Alligator

I was commuting in Colorado Springs for 28 years until recently. In the last 15 years most (if not all) of the under-the pavement induction coils that would let the traffic control system know a car was waiting were switched to optical systems, which meant just riding up to the crosswalk would trigger them...and at some intersections they were so good and quick they would usually give me the green before I had to stop or even slow much. Of course at some intersections nothing seems to work, not even the "beg button".

Also over the last 20 years not only have the MUPS and bike lanes been upgraded and expanded, but there seem to be continuing upgrades and maintenance even when the trails seem fine. I arrived here in 1992 just as the original bike lanes and signs from the bike boom of the '70s were fading from memory as well as literally fading from the streets and signs. Beginning in the early 2000s the bike infrastructure has become better than I could have dreamed.

Even before the bike lane and MUP explosion out here, most roads in town had generous shoulders. Visiting family in Chicagoland and New Jersey it is shocking to see how few roads have accommodations for anything but motor vehicles or even pedestrians.

As far as utility trucks on the MUPS, I've mellowed as I've aged and I rarely get hacked off anymore. Besides...the last three utility trucks I encountered on the MUPs this summer were there to cut the overhanging branches back and trim the weeds and growth 6 feet to sides of the pavement. Each time the crew leader apologized for blocking the path, and then I would thank everyone on the crew for helping make out paths some of the best anywhere.

I can't imagine the bike infrastructure in Colorado Springs getting much better. People's behavior on the MUPS is another thing: aggressive riders of the motorized and non-motorized variety, oblivious riders, pedestrians and pet owners, and transients suffering from mental illness and substance abuse with the detritus of their unfocused existences spilling out onto the MUPS.

But on the whole I imagine that I'm living the bike commuting dream here in Colorado Springs...except that I've been working from home for the last 10 months. I miss my commute, but am learning to enjoy the freedom to make my daily ride to anywhere I choose.
Old 10-16-21, 09:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I also want a lane dedicated to bike riders at our local Starbucks.
My vision (as long as we're doing this) is that all Starbucks would disappear.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-16-21, 11:17 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
They close a stretch of the Bronx River Parkway from 10-2 many Sundays, and while it has novelty fun it turns out that a wide clear expanse of concrete with zero shade (and in another season zero windbreaks) isn't all that charming a place to ride. And that's a small old example compared to an interstate. What you want is the interstate's routing (and snow plowing) not its actual infrastructure.

I agree in wishing beg buttons were auto detecting systems though.
Old 10-16-21, 01:42 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
On my way to work, I can’t help but wonder what life would be like if the freeways were closed for a week and you could use a bike on them. It would save a lot of time and effort.

I also imagine what it would be like if there were no beg buttons (crosswalk buttons) and all lights were automatically set up so they gave a walk signal without having to find the button and push it. Or maybe they were set for bikes and pedestrians first, and cars came second.

I also want a lane dedicated to bike riders at our local Starbucks. That would be awesome. I guess I could ride in the car drive thru lane, but that’s not quite as fun to imagine.

And I’d like to have a steamroller to flatten and repair some of the bike paths. Roads get resurfaced every so often, but not bike paths.

And then one day, I’ve always wanted to park a utility truck in the middle of the road since they seem oblivious to the fact that parking on bike paths messes up the commute to everyone who uses that path that day.

Anyone else dream of changing things while riding?

That's a nice dream. Before the pandemic, Becel Ride for Heart would have a charity event on a Sunday in June. The Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway in Toronto would be closed to motorists for cyclists to ride.

During the pandemic, on selected weekends, the city would close the Lakeshore Boulvard West for cyclists only.

One of my personal dreams is to put up signs at every major intersection that says "Motorists, get out of your car and push". Those would be equivalent to signs on the bike trails telling cyclists to dismount and walk.

Sometime in the 1990s, I was at a charity dinner. As luck would have it, my wife and I shared the table with the Premier of Ontario and another high profile politician. I told them I'd like to have a bicycle commuter highway running from the east end of Scarborough into Mississauga. Of course, that never happened but it's nice to know that awareness of cyclists have come a long way since then.

Dream to the max.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-16-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
That was my initial thought.
Old 10-16-21, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
In 2019 I got to ride on two sections of I-90 in Montana that were closed to motorists in preparation for upcoming bridge work. Normally, every inch of Interstate Highway in the state is bike-legal. Don’t know if I broke the law by going passed the barricades, but there was not much choice. The experience was fun.
Old 10-17-21, 09:31 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 277 Posts
In my ideal world there wouldn't be other people (except the ones running Starbucks).

Originally Posted by UniChris
I agree in wishing beg buttons were auto detecting systems though.
I've never been able to understand the point of them over regular lights that just automatically change every time the traffic light changes. Surely there can't be that big of a savings in electricity to not have the light change... so what is the reason for having them? (And more importantly-- if I forget to push the button but the light would've been on "walk" anyway if I had, would I get a ticket for that?)
Old 10-17-21, 03:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
the dumb button for "activating" the signal is, 99% of the time, put in location that requires walking on uneven ground then thru some mud & finally to the curb where a vehicle's mirror (bus most likely) has a chance at knocking some sense into you during the process.

The amount of "tech" changes & associated costs that is put out for "improving" traffic conditions & safety should also include putting a separate pole that is much farther away from the roadway while being closer to the walkway for a safer purpose.
Old 10-17-21, 06:15 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
And speaking of dumb locations of beg buttons, here is part of my daily commute. I sent this diagram to the city to see if they could move the buttons to where the MUPs actually were located. They still haven’t done anything.

Old 10-19-21, 09:31 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
And speaking of dumb locations of beg buttons, here is part of my daily commute. I sent this diagram to the city to see if they could move the buttons to where the MUPs actually were located. They still haven’t done anything.

SIGH... if only those "traffic engineers" actually rode bikes...
Old 10-19-21, 07:30 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
SIGH... if only those "traffic engineers" actually rode bikes...
Funny thing. I was at a community meeting ounce to see their plans for bike lanes and to meet various government personnel and the engineering firm designing the bike lanes.

At one time, I said to someone, is anybody from the design team going to test ride the entire bike lanes and work out the bugs?
Old 10-19-21, 09:50 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
And take Amazon, Walmart, and Facebook with it.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-20-21, 07:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Funny thing. I was at a community meeting ounce to see their plans for bike lanes and to meet various government personnel and the engineering firm designing the bike lanes.

At one time, I said to someone, is anybody from the design team going to test ride the entire bike lanes and work out the bugs?
A long time ago, in San Diego, there was a guy that acted as a cycling ambassador for, by the name of Gordy Shields... He often did test rides and voiced his opinion about routes, paths and plans in such a manner as to be the unofficial official.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...l03-story.html
https://ocbike.org/for-you/inspirati...shore-bikeway/

Former San Diego City Councilwoman Donna Frye said she got to know Mr. Shields through his calls and visits to her office to discuss cycling issues, particularly on how to get the road on Fiesta Island into cycling-worthy shape. She likened his passion to the artist who said, ‘I can’t not paint.’

“That was Gordy. He couldn’t not cycle,” said Frye. “You could certainly see his passion and dedication and commitment. He was a cyclist, and everything he did was focused on that.”
I attended some community meetings with Donna... she was a character in of herself...

Oh, bear in mind that Gordy was working for paths and lanes while John Forester, in the same area, was touting vehicular cycling... "interesting times" indeed.
Old 10-25-21, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Out of things you've imagined about, this is one I've wondered frequently. What happened to the time when a walk signal was on for anytime the light was green and a protected turn arrow wasn't also green?

Why do we have to beg by pushing the button when waiting motor traffic on the sensors will be changing the light green anyhow. I've tried to see if any more safety is imparted by not having a walk light lit until needed, but I can't find much meat to grab for the argument.

It mostly affects me when I walk with my wife. And at the major intersection we pass through regularly I can't come up with any reason why not to keep the walk light lit from green to red. It is nice to have it start flashing and doing a countdown when it's about to change. But why can't that countdown be based on when it's about to change to red instead of from 10 seconds after the light turns solid green?

How is that few seconds any safer for me to cross than the other sometimes upwards of 90 seconds not safe when the other lights are not otherwise changing?
Old 10-25-21, 01:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
I don't like the drivethroughs at the local Dutch Bros. And they've finally opened a walk-up window. Not quite the same as a bike up window, but close enough. I think one in Portland has a dedicated walking lane (which would be fine for bikes).

As far as freeway riding. It is legal here, but not pleasant.

However, I rode to Albany for the Eclipse a couple of years ago. The return ride was a madhouse. I tried to stay on back roads, but I think I would have been better off jumping onto the freeway which was a parking lot for hours. It might have been fun to pass all those cars, but the fumes would have been nasty.