Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chamois Size / Location

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chamois Size / Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 10:22 AM
dilbert2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
Chamois Size / Location

Maybe I ride odd or have a strange anatomy.
When I ride, the chamois seems to be a little too far back and I feel like I ride on the fabric.
Is there a brand that has more chamois toward the front?

Thanks
Old 08-27-21, 10:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
This is just trial and error I'm afraid. Nobody is going to give you a meaningful answer to this question.
Best advice I can give is to go with a quality brand like Assos, Rapha, Sportful, Endura, Castelli etc. and try them on before buying.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-27-21, 10:55 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Shorts geared toward racing tend to have better tuned padding in the front to support the more aggressive riding position, but in general good chamois won't be particularly thick because one doesn't/shouldn't put much weight on the saddle when riding hard. It would help to know what shorts you've tried.
Likes For surak:
Old 08-27-21, 12:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do you have them on backwards?

Sorry, I just can't imagine what you are describing. The chamois in my shorts and bibbs is sufficiently long and extends further back and forward much more than I could ever need.
Old 08-27-21, 02:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
When I ride, the chamois seems to be a little too far back and I feel like I ride on the fabric.

Thanks
Yes, I know what you mean - it seems like there's chamois way farther back than you need, basically way past the sit bones, while in front you're 'peeking over the top'? I end up putting them on carefully so that the front is pulled up more, including twisting the legs a bit to pull the whole thing toward the front. Pull up on the straps in front and down on the straps in back.

Can't help you on ones that aren't like that. I just know that the pics of male riders where the front of the chamois seems to reach halfway to their navel? I haven't found those.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-27-21, 03:07 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000

Thanks
It's not just you. I found that the majority of brands' chamois don't come up far enough in the front, resulting in some parts working their way above the chamois and rubbing on the lycra. I'm like, where does everyone else put their cigar? Tucked under? Anyways, I've found Assos to have more than enough front chamois placement.
Old 08-27-21, 04:01 PM
dilbert2000

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks. I feel like I've tried a few different brands. I started with PI shorts; those were OK. Then switched to Specialized bibs, they were better. Also tried Castelli, better but tight (I'm just over 200 pounds). Medium range Assos were still better. Not a fan of Primal, I have a couple bibs of theirs. A few years ago, I got Assos (something about kuku penthouse...?). They were about $325, not cheap. Those are my favorites but getting a little worn. The new high end Assos are $350, pretty steep.

Before I bought more, just looking to see if others have had this issue and resolved it, sounds like I'm not too unique.

Thanks
Old 08-28-21, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Back around 2018, the good but affordable Przewalski shorts and bibs came with unusually large and thick Dupont CoolMax "3D" pads. These were slightly tapered in thickness but uniform across the outer surface against the skin, with shallow dimples like a golf ball. I really like 'em -- very comfy and the best wicking fabric pad I've worn -- but apparently some customers found the adult-diaper-like pads a bit too much, so they've since switched to the more commonly seen sculpted pads that are thick only where absolutely necessary, thin elsewhere.

However if you check Amazon you might still be able to find the Przewalskis in the bright orange Dupont CoolMax 3D pads. Be sure to ask the vendor, or reserve the right to return or exchange if the picture shows the orange pad but they send the newer "4D" sculpted pads. The shorts cost as little as $15, or up to $25, and are an excellent value. Well worth a try just for the pad.

And this year I've tried the Cerotipolar shorts, also and outstanding value with a very good pad that's a bit different from the Dupont CoolMax. It's similar in thickness, more spongy, doesn't wick sweat quite as well, but has been very comfortable on rides up to 5 hours this summer. Prices for the shorts and bibs range from around $20-$40 and are much better than the low price would indicate.
Old 08-28-21, 05:09 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My experience has been that Assos (non-kukuoo penthouse), Rapha (Core collection), and Cuore (silver line) are all about the same length and Castelli (Progetto X2) is just a hair shorter. I like the Rapha ones the least as the pad always tends to creep it’s way into the crack due to how they shape it. If it was flatter I feel it would do that less. YMMV.
Old 08-28-21, 05:57 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Take a look at Nalini online , they have a sale right now on certain items but they have a bunch of bibs and straight shorts in their lineup .