Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How about ”committed" instead of "serious" cyclists

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How about ”committed" instead of "serious" cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 05:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
There is utility to differentiating by how much time and other resources people re willing to dedicate to it. This gets certain people's feathers ruffled, however.

That really isn't how "serious" is often used. It's usually employed to trash talk the way other people dedicate their time and resources. It's not really a matter of ruffling feathers, it makes my eyes roll.
Old 08-27-21, 05:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
What the step above committed?...obsessed? Yeah. I'm probably that. At least right now. My obsessions have been known to chance from time to time.

I like "obsessed" or " obsessive " as a self-label. It's self-effacing enough that it isn't pretentious sounding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-21, 06:41 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That really isn't how "serious" is often used. It's usually employed to trash talk the way other people dedicate their time and resources. It's not really a matter of ruffling feathers, it makes my eyes roll.
And here we see the crux of the problem.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-27-21, 06:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And here we see the crux of the problem.
Problematic cruxing r us.
Old 08-27-21, 07:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts

Got it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-27-21, 07:38 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I prefer avid cyclist.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-27-21, 07:45 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Seriously committed, ardently compulsive, and utterly ___________ Ya'll fill in the blank.. Me? I'll just move on.
Old 08-27-21, 07:53 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
Who on earth has time to waste on this kind of irrelevant nonsense? People who are offended by such trivial crap are constantly on the lookout for new things to be “offended” by so they’re certain to take offense regardless.

I just let them be offended - it doesn’t hurt my feels either way

Same here. I agree this is nonsense. Who cares about committed or serious ? Don't take offense but I am content with just being called a cyclist .

Old 08-27-21, 11:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG1
Seriously committed, ardently compulsive, and utterly ___________ Ya'll fill in the blank.. Me? I'll just move on.
utterly obsessive, psycho neurotic, unhealthy, fetishized, consuming, overwhelming and hot dog

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-28-21, 03:18 AM
tom1209

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Funny. I was thinking the same thing.
I think it’s a legitimate question, especially given all of the incidents of cycling rage / status worries people have.
Old 08-28-21, 04:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
where, exactly, does waving/not waving to similarly cross-indexed in whatever regard cyclists factor in? asking for an cyclotic™ friend...

Last edited by diphthong; 08-28-21 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-28-21, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
where, exactly, does waving/not waving to similarly cross-indexed in whatever regard cyclists factor in? asking for an cyclotic™ friend...

If you didn't get the memo on the secret handshakes, we're not supposed to tell when what they are.
Old 08-28-21, 06:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
"Serious" has connotations that upset a lot of people when describing/separating cyclist types. How about a new term that is less negatively loaded*, but encompasses more varieties of cyclists?

One can be:
  • Committed to an optimal cycling regime to maximize gains in the pursuit of going farther and faster
  • Committed to maximizing their enjoyment of cycling without the overhead and distraction of Watts, training effect, CdA and Crr, etc., etc.
  • Committed to looking sharp on the bike within the accepted fashion style of their discipline
  • Committed to looking casually incognito such that nobody would know that they were on a bike once they hop off one
  • Committed to riding on the best equipment they can buy with their hard-earned money
  • Committed to extracting the maximum amount of utility with the absolute minimum amount of monetary on investment
  • Committed to the aesthetic of their preferred time period of bikes
  • Committed to being their own mechanic and being self-sufficient at home and on the road
  • Committed to keeping their bike shop in business because there are more important things to invest their time and knowledge into
  • Committed to riding in whatever conditions the weather and seasons throw at them
  • Committed to not ever needlessly suffering through inclement weather
  • Committed to not letting hostile traffic conditions keep them from riding where and when they want
  • Committed to maintaining their sanity by avoiding traffic hell
What makes an uncommitted cyclist? I would say anyone who has no relationship with a bike, no part of their mind or heart taken up by bikes. Someone who couldn't care less about maintaining their bike, wouldn't be bothered if they never rode it again, doesn't think about it once they're done riding it. And simply, someone who wouldn't label themselves committed or care that others would call them uncommitted.

In that last sense, anyone who takes personal affront at not being consider a "serious" cyclist would by definition be considered personally invested enough to be a committed cyclist.

*: One connotation for "committed" that I intentionally am fine with is the level of obsession that non-cyclists would perceive to be worthy of professional psychiatric help, because yeah...
There have been numerous instances of people getting upset for no other reason than someone using the term ‘serious’ in reference to a cyclist?
And you have noted these instances and ofc felt the need to address them.
Old 08-28-21, 07:55 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
TLDR : went out on my bike.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-28-21, 09:39 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
utterly obsessive, psycho neurotic, unhealthy, fetishized, consuming, overwhelming and hot dog
Oh, good ol' Roget's Thesaurus.
Old 08-28-21, 11:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Does "lunatic" ever fit in anywhere. Asking for a friend's spouse.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-29-21, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
"Serious" has connotations that upset a lot of people when describing/separating cyclist types. How about a new term that is less negatively loaded*, but encompasses more varieties of cyclists?

One can be:
  • Committed to an optimal cycling regime to maximize gains in the pursuit of going farther and faster
  • Committed to maximizing their enjoyment of cycling without the overhead and distraction of Watts, training effect, CdA and Crr, etc., etc.
  • Committed to looking sharp on the bike within the accepted fashion style of their discipline
  • Committed to looking casually incognito such that nobody would know that they were on a bike once they hop off one
  • Committed to riding on the best equipment they can buy with their hard-earned money
  • Committed to extracting the maximum amount of utility with the absolute minimum amount of monetary on investment
  • Committed to being their own mechanic and being self-sufficient at home and on the road
  • Committed to keeping their bike shop in business because there are more important things to invest their time and knowledge into
  • Committed to riding in whatever conditions the weather and seasons throw at them
  • Committed to not letting hostile traffic conditions keep them from riding where and when they want
What makes an uncommitted cyclist? I would say anyone who has no relationship with a bike, no part of their mind or heart taken up by bikes. Someone who couldn't care less about maintaining their bike, wouldn't be bothered if they never rode it again, doesn't think about it once they're done riding it. And simply, someone who wouldn't label themselves committed or care that others would call them uncommitted.

In that last sense, anyone who takes personal affront at not being consider a "serious" cyclist would by definition be considered personally invested enough to be a committed cyclist.

*: One connotation for "committed" that I intentionally am fine with is the level of obsession that non-cyclists would perceive to be worthy of professional psychiatric help, because yeah...
I can only commit to two or three of the things on the list. Yet in the spring summer and fall I ride about 25 miles every other day.
Old 08-29-21, 11:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
How about ‘cycling enthusiast’ rather than ‘committed’?

Yes, Delbert is a cycling enthusiast who really should be committed. Seriously!

Old 08-29-21, 01:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What about some guy on a $ 10 000 dollar bike wearing $ 1000 kit ??...The words enthusiast or committed are just not enough to describe the seriousness of such a cyclist. I think the word "serious cyclist" is here to stay.
Old 08-29-21, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
I can only commit to two or three of the things on the list. Yet in the spring summer and fall I ride about 25 miles every other day.

That's op's point-- there's lots of ways to be committed to bicycling. If you look at that list a little closer, you'll see each thing on the list is contradicted by another thing on the list.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-29-21, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
What about some guy on a $ 10 000 dollar bike wearing $ 1000 kit ??...The words enthusiast or committed are just not enough to describe the seriousness of such a cyclist. I think the word "serious cyclist" is here to stay.

Get the stereotype right--it's that guy and he only takes his bike off the wall and puts on the kit twice a year for two 13 mile rides.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 04:26 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Does "lunatic" ever fit in anywhere. Asking for a friend's spouse.
A weakness I see in using "lunatic" is that the non-cycling public thinks anyone who regularly bikes more than 5 minutes a day, willingly rides on the roads with vehicular traffic, or pays more than $100 for a bike is a lunatic. Among (dare I say) committed cyclists, a lunatic is a salmon, ninja, or someone who attempts railing descents without a helmet or working front brake.
Old 09-01-21, 02:39 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

One can be:

I’d prefer “safe” or “law abiding”, but i’m not too “committed” to either. “That nut job cyclist should be committed”. ;-)
Old 09-01-21, 03:35 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
We have a long list of names to define cyclists based on how they dress, how they look and what type of bikes they ride. Here is a partial list as I can't remember all of them : Fred, Roadie, Hipster, Elitist, Snob, Wannabe Racer Boy, Poser, Club Rider, Serious Cyclist, Real Cyclist, Bike Rider, Guy On A Bike, Leg Shaver, DUI Cyclist, Committed Cyclist, Spandex Warrior.
Given that bike riding, in the U.S., at least, perpetuates the cliques that were established in high school, that list can be collapsed to two categories: the cool kids and the nonentities. Thus will it always be.
Old 09-01-21, 07:45 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I'm committed to not being committed.

(Take that however you like... )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.