Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Importance of Cadence

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Importance of Cadence

Old 09-29-21, 02:25 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes! Absolutely, I have emphasized muscle strength and endurance over cardio. I have always had very strong legs and my strength in a rider is being able to put out a lot of torque over very long distances. My winter routine is to put high resistance on the elliptical and grind on it for 3 hours on Saturday and Sunday, and 3-4 hour long sessions during the work week so my leg muscles are big and powerful. It's a lot more efficient for me to put out 63 high-torque rotations per minute than waste a bunch of the energy I produce lifting my heavy-ass legs 30 or so more times per minute.
Here's a track cyclist with legs that are probably as big and powerful as yours, and yet he can turn over the pedals at a pretty good rate of speed. Road riding is something else again, of course.

Last edited by Trakhak; 09-29-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 02:31 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
It's a lot more efficient for me to put out 63 high-torque rotations per minute than waste a bunch of the energy I produce lifting my heavy-ass legs 30 or so more times per minute.
Maybe you should ditch the power cranks and use a standard crankset where the weight of the descending leg lifts the rising one.
Old 09-29-21, 02:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
See, I have no problem with the idea that all of that is valid.

The problems for me in these conversations is when people start describing what I do successfully as being the mistakes of a beginner. Bicycling is really an art, not a science, there's always more than one good way to do things.

And what's great about your post is you realize how much of this is subjective. I'm on the opposite end on #5, I find spinning absolutely boring as hell.

Hope the zip tie Karens don't find you!
But ... but ... isn't that t' Biek Forms way? "My personal preferences, etc. blah blah blah" are the right/scientifically-demonstrable/universally-accepted 'way' -- the only way to cycling salvation.

Doesn't matter the topic: flat/drop bars; tires; chain lube; frame material; clothing; shoes; pedals; ... whatever. A bunch of recreational cyclists (however 'serious') claiming to know the 'one true way' ... ridiculous. In the end, we are all a bunch of dorks 'playing bikes'.

Me? I don't like to 'mash'; I'm a spinner (80 to 110), therefore all cyclists should be spinners. That about sums up Biek Forms logic.

Oh, and if I could be arsed I'll cite a bunch of "studies" to support that position. But I can't be arsed, so I won't.
Old 09-29-21, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Here's a track cyclist with legs that are probably as big and powerful as yours, and yet he can turn over the pedals at a pretty good rate of speed. Road riding is something else again, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rotFAHIax2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ&t=9s

His legs are much bigger and I'm sure much stronger than mine. That's also a 90 second ride. It has absolutely nothing to do with the type of riding I do. And I'll bet he has about 3-4 times more fast twitch muscle than I have.

But, yeah, those guys are definitely outliers. That's kind of the point of what they do.
Old 09-29-21, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by badger1
But ... but ... isn't that t' Biek Forms way? "My personal preferences, etc. blah blah blah" are the right/scientifically-demonstrable/universally-accepted 'way' -- the only way to cycling salvation.

Doesn't matter the topic: flat/drop bars; tires; chain lube; frame material; clothing; shoes; pedals; ... whatever. A bunch of recreational cyclists (however 'serious') claiming to know the 'one true way' ... ridiculous. In the end, we are all a bunch of dorks 'playing bikes'.

Me? I don't like to 'mash'; I'm a spinner (80 to 110), therefore all cyclists should be spinners. That about sums up Biek Forms logic.

Oh, and if I could be arsed I'll cite a bunch of "studies" to support that position. But I can't be arsed, so I won't.
I find in these conversations, I often end up arguing with people who ride like I do in some way when they try to prove it's the only right way to do things.

When the conversation turns to what we eat on long rides, I usually have to give people a "don't try this at home" warning because I think what I do would probably make most people sick.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-21, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by asgelle
Maybe you should ditch the power cranks and use a standard crankset where the weight of the descending leg lifts the rising one.

Maybe I'm good doing what I'm doing.

You understand that means some of the energy generated by the descending leg is going into lifting that ascending leg, right?
Old 09-29-21, 02:45 PM
asgelle

Maybe I'm good doing what I'm doing.
Maybe you're an Olympic caliber rider. It doesn't change the fact that your understanding of mechanics is wrong.
Old 09-29-21, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe you're an Olympic caliber rider. It doesn't change the fact that your understanding of mechanics is wrong.

Says you.
Old 09-29-21, 02:49 PM
asgelle

Says you.
Actually, it dates back at least as far as Archimedes, ~250 BCE.
Old 09-29-21, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Actually, it dates back at least as far as Archimedes, ~250 BCE.

You do realize that pro riders actually do lift their legs some to lighten the load on the descending leg, right? That's pretty basic.

You're wrong, repeating the error isn't making it any better.
Old 09-29-21, 03:01 PM
asgelle

You do realize that pro riders actually do lift their legs some to lighten the load on the descending leg, right? That's pretty basic.
First of all world class pros do not exert upward force on the rising pedal, https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ng_performance

Second, such an obvious moving of the goalposts fools no one. The issue you raised was energy needed to raise the upward moving leg in the pedal stroke. Other than a slight imbalance between the two legs, whatever force is needed to raise one leg is provided by the weight of the other.
Old 09-29-21, 03:10 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
If I could have only one, in ride metric available to me, it would be cadence.
I actually don't think I've ever looked at cadence. I naturally have a fast cadence of 90+ and therefore never worried about being a slow cadence masher, so for me, my one metric to rule them all is "3 second avg. power" (power meter required). Power data is EVERYTHING!
Old 09-29-21, 03:18 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Power data is EVERYTHING!
It might be for me too if I were willing to absorb the significant cost of gaining access to power data. That said, I still like to avoid mashing, regardless of power, for the sake of my knee health.
Old 09-29-21, 06:22 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
First of all world class pros do not exert upward force on the rising pedal, https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ng_performance

Second, such an obvious moving of the goalposts fools no one. The issue you raised was energy needed to raise the upward moving leg in the pedal stroke. Other than a slight imbalance between the two legs, whatever force is needed to raise one leg is provided by the weight of the other.
And we’ve found the one who is convinced he’s right and takes the conversation way too seriously in an attempt to prove how someone else rides their bike is wrong…
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-29-21, 06:27 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
And we’ve found the one who is convinced he’s right and takes the conversation way too seriously in an attempt to prove how someone else rides their bike is wrong…
If you can't follow the discussion, maybe it's best you remain silent. I never made any comment on how to ride a bike.
Old 09-29-21, 06:32 PM
Josepepe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Faaaa
Old 09-29-21, 06:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seriously? Pretty sure the balanced weights of my legs are going to settle at the 9 and 3 position.

Didn't say they pulled up, it's that they don't let their leg sit on the pedal as dead weight as much as lower skilled riders. I could dig out references to this if I thought your argument was worth the time, but you're so far off the beam, it's not necessary.

You don't seem to understand that the descending leg is not falling, it's pushing down against resistance. Even if all of the energy needed to lift the ascending leg is eminating from the descending side, it isn't a matter of balance, the weight of the ascending leg is simply an additional source of resistance that must be overcome by the descending leg to move the pedal downwards. The weight of the legs are going to be constants throughout the ride whether you're spinning or mashing. All I've claimed is that moving that weight up 90 times a minute is going to take more energy than doing it 60 times. You got some fancy math proving that obviously true statement is false? Didn't think so.

TL/DR: It doesn't matter which leg is doing the lifting, doing it 90 times a minute is going to take more energy than doing it 60.
Old 09-29-21, 06:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If you can't follow the discussion, maybe it's best you remain silent. I never made any comment on how to ride a bike.

No, you're too busy trying to prove that 90 isn't more than 60.
Old 09-29-21, 06:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,593 Times in 2,903 Posts
after reading this thread I have been more consciously monitoring cadence and another screen shows average cadence. I always considered myself a higher cadence rider but was very surprised to see an average of 65 which involved 2000’ climbing some at 15-16%. On flats - I was usually in the 70s but on 1% downhill grades about 85. I tried to push my cadence up by downshifting when I noticed being in the 60s but what came to mind is we pedal at a rate which feel comfortable and the 70s might be it on the flats at 18 MPH. Lots of other factors influencing cadence but for me, my sweet spot is more in the 70s.

Old 09-29-21, 06:43 PM
NumbersGuy

OK, you told him to change cranks to change how he rides his bike…. So the words didn’t directly come out but it’s still there.

Sorry I’m not nearly as impressed by you as you are. And your link about research proving elite cyclists don’t lift on the upstroke only stated that the elites have the ability to generate higher downstroke power than non-elite cyclists. That does not exactly prove anything about whether either the elite or non-elite groups (a whopping 15 total riders in the entire test) generate power on the upstroke or how much.
Old 09-29-21, 06:49 PM
asgelle

Seriously? Pretty sure the balanced weights of my legs are going to settle at the 9 and 3 position.
Seriously? Think about it. Forget legs, put a 20 lb weight on each pedal. What happens when you put them at 9 and 3? Now how about 10 and 4? 11 and 5?
Old 09-29-21, 06:56 PM
asgelle

OK, you told him to change cranks to change how he rides his bike…. So the words didn’t directly come out but it’s still there.
You don’t really think I was serious about changing from power cranks do you? It was an ironic device to show the fallacy of the model that muscular effort is needed to raise the upward moving leg. There may be a few holdouts, but virtually no one is riding with power cranks anymore.
Old 09-29-21, 06:58 PM
asgelle

And your link about research proving elite cyclists don’t lift on the upstroke only stated that the elites have the ability to generate higher downstroke power than non-elite cyclists.
I guess you didn’t bother to read the entire article.
Old 09-29-21, 06:59 PM
NumbersGuy

You don’t really think I was serious about changing from power cranks do you? It was an ironic device to show the fallacy of the model that muscular effort is needed to raise the upward moving leg. There may be a few holdouts, but virtually no one is riding with power cranks anymore.
The only thing I know for sure is that you think you’re smart and funny, but that you’re aren’t nearly as much of either as you think.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-29-21, 07:05 PM
NumbersGuy

I guess you didn’t bother to read the entire article.
I read what was on the page you linked to. I didn’t request the full text from the author to read more. Perhaps you can provide a link to something that actually makes your point.
Likes For NumbersGuy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.