Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Running multiple speed sensors with Wahoo element bolt

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-24-21, 06:04 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

I have a Wahoo Element bolt and was wondering if I can have a speed sensor on my road bike and a separate one on my fixed gear? Will the Wahoo support both and pick up the signal from either sensor automatically based on what bike I'm riding?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-24-21, 07:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I have a Wahoo Element bolt and was wondering if I can have a speed sensor on my road bike and a separate one on my fixed gear? Will the Wahoo support both and pick up the signal from either sensor automatically based on what bike I'm riding?

Thanks,

Dave
I am sure its like the garmin and yes but if you jiggle the other bike or roll it close to when you get the other going it may pop up asking what one you want to use. same with cadence sensors and such.
Old 09-24-21, 07:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
It'll work.
Old 09-24-21, 07:52 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Thanks all. Simple enough.

Dave
Old 09-25-21, 11:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My only bike computers are the XOSS G+, but it'll work with any bike I have. The tricky bit is resetting the XOSS for each bike. Takes about a minute, including spinning the cranks and rear wheel to sync with the XOSS.

XOSS still hasn't gotten around to enabling the menu to identify and select among different bikes, but that's not a big deal for me. My bikes are all 700c wheels, and there isn't enough difference between my 700x23 and x25 tires to matter.

XOSS defaults to ANT+ sensor when available, so it seems like there should be a way to sync with more than one device. All of my sensors -- speed, cadence, heart rate -- are either ANT+ only or dual Bluetooth/ANT+. So I can record some data to my phone (Bluetooth) only via Wahoo Fitness, Strava, whatever, while simultaneously using the XOSS G+. Probably the same with any bike computer that's compatible with both ANT+ and Bluetooth.
Old 09-26-21, 08:07 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I've had the Bolt for a while now and have been swapping between bikes the whole time. I have a cadence sensor on my commuter bike and Assioma pedals on my road bike and it always senses the proper one for the cadence display. It also knows when I'm on my Kickr Core and reads that for power. For speed I keep my speed sensor on the road bike but on the commuter it'll use GPS speed automatically but if I do swap the speed sensor it'll self calibrate to the smaller wheel size. It is very good at what it does. I just pop it on whichever bike I'm taking and go and never think about it. Well, there is one thing you have to think about, end your ride and TURN IT OFF when you're done. Otherwise it'll run the battery out.
Old 09-28-21, 12:13 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
Unlike some computers where you have a Profile tied to a particular bike and must select the correct Profile.
Pair up all your sensors and Roam and Bolt will just detect the sensors you've brought with you on a ride.
Just don't bring two bikes with you.

Barry
Old 10-01-21, 03:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My only bike computers are the XOSS G+, but it'll work with any bike I have. The tricky bit is resetting the XOSS for each bike. Takes about a minute, including spinning the cranks and rear wheel to sync with the XOSS.

XOSS still hasn't gotten around to enabling the menu to identify and select among different bikes, but that's not a big deal for me. My bikes are all 700c wheels, and there isn't enough difference between my 700x23 and x25 tires to matter.

XOSS defaults to ANT+ sensor when available, so it seems like there should be a way to sync with more than one device. All of my sensors -- speed, cadence, heart rate -- are either ANT+ only or dual Bluetooth/ANT+. So I can record some data to my phone (Bluetooth) only via Wahoo Fitness, Strava, whatever, while simultaneously using the XOSS G+. Probably the same with any bike computer that's compatible with both ANT+ and Bluetooth.
Off topic but do you know if the XOSS uses the same mount as Garmin? I may get one but I want to use a Garmin compatible front stem mount.
Old 10-01-21, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Off topic but do you know if the XOSS uses the same mount as Garmin? I may get one but I want to use a Garmin compatible front stem mount.
XOSS says it's a Garmin compatible mount. I've used only the supplied minimalist mount -- a puck with rubber pads to fit most handlebars and stems, attached with O-ring rubber bands.

If you dig through the Amazon reviews and Q&A section you'll probably find comments from users who've tried it with various makes of out-front mounts.

I follow the XOSS page on Facebook and a few users have complained about the XOSS mount shoe flanges breaking, but in every case they appeared to be due to crashes or drops while using out-front mounts on mountain bikes and a few road bikes. Probably just a hazard of pretty much any device on a bike. I've dropped bikes a couple of times while stopped and had a couple of slow speed falls. No problems with the XOSS on the supplied puck mount, or damage to bike or body, for that matter.

I might try a Garmin compatible out-front mount after I find my other XOSS G+. I bought two in January 2020, put one away and still haven't found it. I just swap the one between my various bikes.

But an out-front mount would clear up some clutter. I ride with front and rear mounted video cameras on my main road bike and the camera mounts take up space on the stem and seat post or seat tube. On long night rides I prefer to have two headlights on either side of the stem, but there's no room on my current setup.
Old 10-02-21, 01:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
XOSS says it's a Garmin compatible mount. I've used only the supplied minimalist mount -- a puck with rubber pads to fit most handlebars and stems, attached with O-ring rubber bands.

If you dig through the Amazon reviews and Q&A section you'll probably find comments from users who've tried it with various makes of out-front mounts.

I follow the XOSS page on Facebook and a few users have complained about the XOSS mount shoe flanges breaking, but in every case they appeared to be due to crashes or drops while using out-front mounts on mountain bikes and a few road bikes. Probably just a hazard of pretty much any device on a bike. I've dropped bikes a couple of times while stopped and had a couple of slow speed falls. No problems with the XOSS on the supplied puck mount, or damage to bike or body, for that matter.

I might try a Garmin compatible out-front mount after I find my other XOSS G+. I bought two in January 2020, put one away and still haven't found it. I just swap the one between my various bikes.

But an out-front mount would clear up some clutter. I ride with front and rear mounted video cameras on my main road bike and the camera mounts take up space on the stem and seat post or seat tube. On long night rides I prefer to have two headlights on either side of the stem, but there's no room on my current setup.
Thanks. I usually start my rides before sunrise so I like the front stem mounts with a go pro attachment for my light so I don't have to use the handlebar mount. Now I'm building up a new bike and I want an inexpensive gps for it.

I bought this cheap mount on amazon if you're looking for one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBS3QMM...roduct_details