Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 11:17 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Silly question.I’m pretty new to riding, I am coming up on my 18 th month of riding, rarely missing a day. I have a Bianchi Pista and a Giant Tough road. I never got around to buying padded shorts partly because I don’t like really . Out here in the PNW I ride in shorts everyday. When I started riding I looked for bike seats with twice as much padding as a sofa, but now my backsides have gotten used to bike saddles . Anyone else out there doing this?
i do that
unless i am going over 50 miles i do not bother or even think about it any more
regular shorts regular undies [ though i do have some undies that work better than others ]
Old 10-04-21, 11:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
and football jerseys for golf.
American football, Australian Football or that other kind that seems to be so popular around the world? I think it's called "soccer" in the states.
Old 10-04-21, 11:30 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
American football, Australian Football or that other kind that seems to be so popular around the world? I think it's called "soccer" in the states.
I'm not sure. They're listed as "feet ball Jersey" on AliExpress.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-04-21, 11:34 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
If I'm going on a "serious" ride, I'll usually wear my bike shorts. However, I do try to make a point of doing a few rides in regular clothes, just to keep my nethers used to the idea.
Old 10-04-21, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Context. Stand-alone, I'd agree, but not within context.

"I don't understand why others go beyond what works for me."
"Because xyz"
"My xyz is as bad as it gets"

If you don't think that's dismissive and has implications that others are going beyond unnecessarily, fine - agree to disagree.

Love you, too.
That's a little twist, but no it's still not dismissive. In essence, it's "I sweat like a pig and this works for me." It doesn't claim anything about how far other people are going, it only negates that other kinds of clothing can't be used to control sweat..

I've been on the other end of this--

Me: "I use platform pedals"
Rando: "I don't use platform pedals because you can't stand on platform pedals."
Me: "I stand on the platform pedals a lot, it works fine for me."

I guess you could say I'm being dismissive of the claim that I can't stand on platform pedals, but that's an awfully strange way to put it.
Old 10-04-21, 12:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I guess you could say I'm being dismissive of the claim that I can't stand on platform pedals...
100% (and rightfully so).
Old 10-04-21, 12:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
This is basically an agreement with you, not an argument. I'm just using your post as an example….
Ok.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-04-21, 12:40 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
ZOIC shorts for me.
Old 10-04-21, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I wear bowling shirts for tennis, rugby shirts for cycling, polo shirts for basketball, and football jerseys for golf. Don't tell me there are better options; that would be ... inconceivable.

What percentage of people who wear polo shirts actually play polo?

Don't tell me that labelled uses are often designated for marketing reasons, that would be.... inconceivable.
Old 10-04-21, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

After I win the Power Ball jackpot tonight I am going to buy a pair of those $400 bibs I have heard mentioned by BF more than once.
Old 10-04-21, 01:32 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I’m an older guy with the enlarged prostate goes along with it. When I started riding again after 50+ years I needed a chamois to be able to ride at all.

So now I wear a chamois under MtB shorts or warmer pants either cold part the year for all but the shortest rides.

I also usually wear cycling jerseys. For the pockets and to a degree the moisture evaporating comfort.
Old 10-04-21, 03:08 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
When I got back into riding (now a couple of decades ago....jeez, didn't realize that much time has passed...I really feel like an OG I started with "seamed" pants/shorts (you know, like everyday stuff). I very quickly realized, after I finished my (short at the time) ride and found my crotch to be very numb...talk about the sensation of impotency , that I needed something else. I went out and bought some padded biking shorts (are there biking shorts not padded? and a saddle designed for such a thing (like the slot in the middle) and it made a world of difference.

So, today (and has been for a long time) riding apparel below the waist and above the shoes/sox is boxer underwear covered by the biking shorts during the warmer weather (55 F and above) and the same covered by long riding pants during the cooler/cold weather. Now I only worry about my face freezing off during the really cold winter days (as much as that is in the SF Bay Area But my crotch remains numb free...yay...

Last edited by stephr1; 10-04-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 03:10 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
I bet you put ketchup on your brat, too!
Not me. When my kids are brats, I just stuff them in the closet and tell them they're not coming out until they stop being brats....
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-04-21, 03:28 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Silly question.I’m pretty new to riding, I am coming up on my 18 th month of riding, rarely missing a day. I have a Bianchi Pista and a Giant Tough road. I never got around to buying padded shorts partly because I don’t like really . Out here in the PNW I ride in shorts everyday. When I started riding I looked for bike seats with twice as much padding as a sofa, but now my backsides have gotten used to bike saddles . Anyone else out there doing this?
Not me.
When I took up riding, I thought: I will NEVER wear those ridicoulus things.
Eventually, though, I got some cycling shorts that were sewn into a pair of fairly nomal looking cargo shorts.
Finally: i got some plain old cycling shorts.
I went out my driveway and strted down the street, and by the time I'd gone about 200 yards I thought: WHAT A FOOL I HAVE BEEN! Was vastly better. Only a little bit becuase of the padding, but because of all of the other advanages of cycling shorts.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 10-04-21, 03:31 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wear jeans most of the time for anything less than say 70 miles.

The bike shorts are a little more comfortable for the 100+ mile rides.

I've tried thin tights without padding, and they're not comfortable at all.
I started out wearing jeans in a 10 mile commute to work (place I teach at let's faculty dress like the students). It was summer, and by the time I got there: they were soaked through with sweat. IDid that a year, anyway, and was OH so happy when I took up wearing cycling shorts and/or tights (but always with padding).
That they are non binding and have better sweat management are really important.
Old 10-04-21, 03:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by stephr1
is boxer underwear.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-04-21, 03:43 PM
tomato coupe

I'm amazed anyone could get a pair of cycling shorts over boxers. I'd be exhausted from all the tugging.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-04-21, 03:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Me: "I use platform pedals"
Rando: "I don't use platform pedals because you can't stand on platform pedals."
Me: "I stand on the platform pedals a lot, it works fine for me."
Me too I stand on my platform pedals all the time, even during winter when my boots and pedals are covered with snow and I never had my foot slip of the pedals yet. I also mountain bike and I ride fixed gear without any foot retention and never had any problems with my shoes or boots slipping off the pedals.
Old 10-04-21, 03:53 PM
indyfabz

I'm amazed anyone could get a pair of cycling shorts over boxers. I'd be exhausted from all the tugging.
Maybe they are boxer briefs that are form fitting. Just imagine the “panty lines” with traditional boxers.
Old 10-04-21, 04:00 PM
tomato coupe

Maybe they are boxer briefs that are form fitting. Just imagine the “panty lines” with traditional boxers.
I've got boxer briefs. I'd still go over threshold pulling bike shorts or bib shorts on over them. It would be a good workout.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-04-21, 05:04 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
For rides under 25 miles, I wear comprehension shorts under gym shorts.
- easy to clean
- less expensive than bike shorts
​​​​​​- looks better when I’m out and about
Old 10-04-21, 07:08 PM
stephr1

Didn't think my skivvies could be a topic of discussion..."I'm a legend in my own mind"

It's actually not bad. A bit of a struggle but once they're on it's a good fit. And, yes, the boxers are tapered so not a lot of xtra material to deal with. Just have to watch for the skivvies bunching up and creating a rash in an unwanted location (Ow! It gets to be a bit more fun during cold weather. Once I have the biking shorts on, then I have to slide the long leggings/pants over that. Been doing it for a long time so it's a normal thing for me.
Old 10-04-21, 08:03 PM
indyfabz

Didn't think my skivvies could be a topic of discussion..."I'm a legend in my own mind"

It's actually not bad. A bit of a struggle but once they're on it's a good fit. And, yes, the boxers are tapered so not a lot of xtra material to deal with. Just have to watch for the skivvies bunching up and creating a rash in an unwanted location (Ow! It gets to be a bit more fun during cold weather. Once I have the biking shorts on, then I have to slide the long leggings/pants over that. Been doing it for a long time so it's a normal thing for me.
Sounds bad to me, but you do you.
Old 10-04-21, 08:47 PM
tomato coupe

Did you ever just leave the boxers at home? I know, it sounds crazy, but I've heard that a lot of cyclists are doing it.
Old 10-04-21, 09:49 PM
ryanl092

Bikes: 87 Centurion IronMan, 89 Pinarello Treviso, 77 Schwinn Paramount, 85 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
I'm new to cycling. I wore both bike shorts and regular shorts for short distance( <10 miles). I felt pain without bike shorts. for more than that.
There was one time I adjusted my new saddle with regular shorts and felt slightly uncomfortable when wearing a bike shorts. It turned out the saddle was adjusted a bit too high.
If I adjust the saddle with bike shorts and I will feel a bit lower with regular shorts and that's ok.
I wonder if anyone feel the same thing as me ?

Ryan
Likes For ryanl092:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.