Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 10:05 PM
Dvdvija

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Silly question.I’m pretty new to riding, I am coming up on my 18 th month of riding, rarely missing a day. I have a Bianchi Pista and a Giant Tough road. I never got around to buying padded shorts partly because I don’t like really . Out here in the PNW I ride in shorts everyday. When I started riding I looked for bike seats with twice as much padding as a sofa, but now my backsides have gotten used to bike saddles . Anyone else out there doing this?
I don't wear padded shorts when I'm out riding short or long distance. When I first getting back to biking, my butt did feel sore for awhile. After riding for few days, my butt got accustomed to bike seats. I do use seats that have some soft puddings . Padded shorts look kinda silly and that's why I never wear it.
Old 10-05-21, 06:56 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Did you ever just leave the boxers at home? I know, it sounds crazy, but I've heard that a lot of cyclists are doing it.
Actually, I tried a couple of times. It never really felt comfortable having the Lycra (or whatever the material might be) directly against my skin. The xtra layer of cotton/mix feels much better to me.
Old 10-05-21, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanl092
I'm new to cycling. I wore both bike shorts and regular shorts for short distance( <10 miles). I felt pain without bike shorts. for more than that.
There was one time I adjusted my new saddle with regular shorts and felt slightly uncomfortable when wearing a bike shorts. It turned out the saddle was adjusted a bit too high.
If I adjust the saddle with bike shorts and I will feel a bit lower with regular shorts and that's ok.
I wonder if anyone feel the same thing as me ?

Ryan
Yes, and some don't. There's no single right answer, it's what works for you. You appear to have worked that out, and that's great!

I call these the "what's the right shoe size?" threads.
Old 10-05-21, 11:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
Actually, I tried a couple of times. It never really felt comfortable having the Lycra (or whatever the material might be) directly against my skin. The xtra layer of cotton/mix feels much better to me.
How about silk boxers? That seems like it would be better than cotton.
Old 10-05-21, 02:04 PM
stephr1

Hmmm...don't normally have silk boxers hanging around to wear but I remember I may have a pair buried somewhere that I received as a gift many years ago (iirc they had Disney(tm) characters on them.....don't ask I'll go dig those out and see if that makes any difference. The biking shorts would prob'ly slide over them pretty easily and I remember them being fairly thin the once or twice I actually tried them on (didn't seem practical for everyday wear).

Appreciate the suggestion. Amazing how much one can learn on BF about the intricacies of cycling...even if it isn't quite directly pertinent to the bike
Old 10-05-21, 05:56 PM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I tried silk boxers years ago and found that they tended to scrunch/bunch together at the “wrong” spots and/or the seams felt “hard”/stuff compared to the rest of the boxers. So, overall, I found that they caused compression/pain/chaffing spots when used for riding one hour plus.

I have been into cotton close-fitting* boxers for the last few years. They can get a little moist sometimes as cotton does not dry or wick as well as some other fabrics (particularly modern artificial ones). For longer one+ hours, I sometimes wear artificial/modern athletic fabric boxers or compression “tights”. One of the “poly” fabrics.

YMMV

I’m a (short) commuter and recreational road and trail rider; anywhere up to 3-4 hours in the saddle.

(* Yes, I’ve read/heard that close-fitting can reduce sperm count…but as a couple, we’re well past prime breeding age!)
Old 10-05-21, 06:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by wkc
I tried silk boxers years ago and found that they tended to scrunch/bunch together at the “wrong” spots and/or the seams felt “hard”/stuff compared to the rest of the boxers. So, overall, I found that they caused compression/pain/chaffing spots when used for riding one hour plus.
Okay, how about a nice thong? That wouldn't bunch up as much.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-07-21, 06:23 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by wkc

I have been into cotton close-fitting* boxers for the last few years. They can get a little moist sometimes as cotton does not dry or wick as well as some other fabrics (particularly modern artificial ones). For longer one+ hours, I sometimes wear artificial/modern athletic fabric boxers or compression “tights”. One of the “poly” fabrics.

YMMV

I’m a (short) commuter and recreational road and trail rider; anywhere up to 3-4 hours in the saddle.

(* Yes, I’ve read/heard that close-fitting can reduce sperm count…but as a couple, we’re well past prime breeding age!)
Occasionally, the cotton boxers can be a bit irritating (kind like the ex-wife, but on the other side of my butt Most of the time, tho, it works out great. Like yesterday I did my 30 mi. ride out to the SF Bay and everything was fine. On the other hand, I've done my shorter ride (~12 mi.) and come home somewhat chafed. The seams have never been a problem (except when I first started out and rode in normal pants).

I do plan to try the silk boxers (on a short ride first) and see if that makes any difference.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-07-21, 06:23 PM
stephr1

Ooooh..."butt floss". I'll have to consider that possibility
Old 10-10-21, 03:14 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I bought my first padded/chamois cycling shorts after riding my old '75 Fuji for well over 40,000 miles. WITH it's hard leather (Brooks-clone) original saddle. It was only after years of barely-riding that I got both the vibration-absorbing seatpost and chamois-padded shorts. Basically, I got old and heavier, and my butt needed a bit of a break...

The seatpost isn't really a 'suspension' seatpost, but rather the knee joint and sandwiched elastomer 'puck' take the buzz out of riding on chip-seal road surfaces. That's why I refer to it as 'vibration-absorbing'.

BTW, that old Fuji still sports that original Fujita Belt saddle after 45+ years and 55,000+ miles.
Old 10-10-21, 03:59 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Not me. When my kids are brats, I just stuff them in the closet and tell them they're not coming out until they stop being brats....
Brats are the wurst, aren't they?
Likes For guachi:
Old 10-10-21, 04:09 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Sometimes it's preferred to use unpadded bibs, however, majority of them are padded with a thick material. Even the "Tri" advertised bibs tend to have the thick padding.

It's very difficult to find competitively priced full length bibs with the thin chamois area stitched in them.
Tri bibs are a bit of false advertising; I don't know any big manufacturers of triathlon kit actually making such a thing. The aliexpress stuff is totally hit and miss.

if you want a thin liner, a trisuit from one of the big makers is what you'd be after, or tri shorts, but those are more rare. Triathletes generally wear one piece suits, and imo one piece suits in general are totally brilliant.
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 10-10-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 04:25 PM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ooooh..."butt floss". I'll have to consider that possibility
Or do what the Aussie lifesavers do!
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-su...-11511019.html
Likes For wkc: