Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A New "Twist" on Shifting...from Ford!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A New "Twist" on Shifting...from Ford!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm already filling out the patent application on this, if you'd like to be a co-inventor. How will we feed the hamsters and how frequently do they need to be changed for reduction to practice?

The little ball in the water bottle spout is going to bounce around a lot.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 02:06 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
In 20 years or less a bicycle will be so complicated and expensive that you will be forced to take it to a dealer for repairs.
Yup, just like today's cars! And their effective lifespan will be about 1/4 as long, also like today's cars.
Old 10-06-21, 02:07 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
I’ve had a Ford car, no way I’d buy a Ford bike.
Old 10-06-21, 03:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
takes a bumpkin to know a bumpkin!
I'm sure he meant Rube Goldberg...which would be a compliment of sorts.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ons-180968928/
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-06-21, 04:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Yup, just like today's cars! And their effective lifespan will be about 1/4 as long, also like today's cars.
When I began buying cars over 50 years ago, you might hope to have a reliable vehicle for 50,000 miles. During that time you probably would replace a starter, clutch, brakes, muffler, generator or alternator, do several plug and point changes, antifreeze and buy a couple of sets of tires. And you had something that drove like a POS compared to the most modest of today's cars. I do enjoy an old car show or museum, though.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-06-21, 04:48 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
100 degrees C - what could go wrong?
Hey, didn't Ford produce the Pinto with the exploding fuel tanks?
Worried about exploding ankles?
Old 10-06-21, 06:10 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Worried about exploding ankles?
Worse than that.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-06-21, 09:11 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
FWIW: Why not just use a solenoid to move the FD cage between the rings if an electric shifter is desired?
Old 10-06-21, 09:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
When I began buying cars over 50 years ago, you might hope to have a reliable vehicle for 50,000 miles. During that time you probably would replace a starter, clutch, brakes, muffler, generator or alternator, do several plug and point changes, antifreeze and buy a couple of sets of tires. And you had something that drove like a POS compared to the most modest of today's cars. I do enjoy an old car show or museum, though.
I recall one day my Nissan took maybe 900 msec to start instead of the usual 500ms, and I shouted out loud "FINALLY, SOMETHING INTERESTING". Eventually I gave it to my brother because I was just damn sick and tired of the soulless thing and it clearly was never ever going to die.

Contrast to my '65 Mustang, which was an adventure to drive every single day. Fouled points and blown condenser and leaky carburetor float and exhaust leaks and on and on.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-06-21, 10:02 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Contrast to my '65 Mustang, which was an adventure to drive every single day. Fouled points and blown condenser and leaky carburetor float and exhaust leaks and on and on.
Slowing down at higher speeds was a bit of an adventure as well. Brakes have improved quite a bit over the years.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-07-21, 07:50 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I agree. I semi-daily an old (‘72 of indeterminate mileage) Triumph, which has proven to be pretty reliable - only stranded me a couple of times in 10 years - but requires a high degree of routine maintenance. The big lesson to me was how comparatively bulletproof modern cars - of any make - are. Change the fluids and filters on schedule, pay attention to wear items, and most of them will run for >200k with almost no other intervention. They really are amazingly reliable, considering they comprise a collection of wildly spinning and reciprocating metal chunks driven by a blitz of contained explosions. They’re easy to take for granted until you experience what cars used to be like (still like the old jalops, though &#128077.
Old 10-07-21, 10:33 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I agree. I semi-daily an old (‘72 of indeterminate mileage) Triumph, which has proven to be pretty reliable - only stranded me a couple of times in 10 years - but requires a high degree of routine maintenance. The big lesson to me was how comparatively bulletproof modern cars - of any make - are. Change the fluids and filters on schedule, pay attention to wear items, and most of them will run for >200k with almost no other intervention. They really are amazingly reliable, considering they comprise a collection of wildly spinning and reciprocating metal chunks driven by a blitz of contained explosions. They’re easy to take for granted until you experience what cars used to be like (still like the old jalops, though &#128077.
I would still rather have a vehicle that I could fix nearly any issue for under $500,than a new vehicle that doesn't need any maintenance under 100K, but costs as much as my house.
Old 10-07-21, 12:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
They'll wind up doing what SRAM did, quit trying and pimp 1 X.
It’s really a shame too. SRAM makes (or made) really good front derailers. Shimano’s have always been hit or miss. If you go with the expensive ones, it’s almost always “miss”. My two favorite bad Shimano front derailers are the XT and XTR with independently moving plates and the XTR FD-M952 e-type with the carbon fiber plate. The carbon fiber plate isn’t stiff enough to hold the derailer in gear. It bends and overshifts then bends back and undershifts. Can’t keep it in gear.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-07-21, 12:22 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Worse than that.

Is that frame aluminum or carbon?
Old 10-07-21, 12:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I would still rather have a vehicle that I could fix nearly any issue for under $500,than a new vehicle that doesn't need any maintenance under 100K, but costs as much as my house.
Your house only costs $40k?
Old 10-07-21, 01:37 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your house only costs $40k?
More like 80K for mine but in this area I can buy a fairly nice brick house for 60K and there are many starter homes or investment rental types for well under 40K. Also 40K is getting to be a medium priced new car. Just price some new trucks. They are in the 80K range, and yes,I know people who own one with a house worth half as much. I live in rural Alabama, where nearly anything is possible.
Old 10-07-21, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s really a shame too. SRAM makes (or made) really good front derailers.
Interesting take, given the well known stereotype.
Old 10-07-21, 03:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting take, given the well known stereotype.
I must have missed that and thus never got it. I had a bike built with SRAM Force, which was second in line below Red at the time. That was in the mid-2000s. The FD worked great.
Old 10-08-21, 11:14 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There have been all sorts of designs over the years, but as long as a chain has to mechanically move from one chainring to another, there is nothing revolutionary.

John
Old 10-11-21, 03:17 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
How much does it weigh?
Old 10-11-21, 03:29 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
I find the idea of putting current to a piece of metal and having it assume a predetermined shape pretty amazing. I'm thankful that there are folks out there so much smarter than the rest of us! A bike part seems an odd fit for Ford. I wonder if they may have chosen it in order to patent some concept they actually plan to use in an auto application. Lock up the technology w/o giving away what they hope to do with it.
If you have something that can be patented, you (especially, a large corporation) patent it. "Shoot patent first; ask questions later."
Old 10-11-21, 03:40 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I like reliable, simple cables. And mechanical activation of my components. If that is retro grouchy - just call me Mr. Simple Best Solution.
Same here. Sadly, I think that our beloved bicycles will be over-engineered and tons of tacked-on, value-added crap will be part of the bundle. Like a new car for instance. You cant seem to buy just a simple car these days. They all come with so much crap added to them, and you wind up paying way more than you ever would want to. Same thing is happening to bikes. At the risk of sounding like Bonnie Prince Charles, I say mark me! *grin*
Old 10-11-21, 06:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Same here. Sadly, I think that our beloved bicycles will be over-engineered and tons of tacked-on, value-added crap will be part of the bundle. Like a new car for instance. You cant seem to buy just a simple car these days. They all come with so much crap added to them, and you wind up paying way more than you ever would want to. Same thing is happening to bikes. At the risk of sounding like Bonnie Prince Charles, I say mark me! *grin*
the once opted options with cars are now moving over to thee ole subscription based method... thanks to those there EV tech.
Old 10-12-21, 06:30 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the once opted options with cars are now moving over to thee ole subscription based method... thanks to those there EV tech.
The immediate future is looking pretty grim.

Its interesting to imagine what it will be like 100 years from now. Taking a look at 100 past, nothing that we have now was even a consideration then. Our world now would have been absurd science fiction to people in the 1920's. My wife and I are bingeing Boardwalk Empire right now, and looking at how they lived back then and any available technology was common with the rich, but no chance of poor people using it. In perspective, think of a homeless person with a burner cellphone. That little p-o-s cell phone has more computing power in it than a 1920's auditorium filled with mathematicians.
Old 10-12-21, 06:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Companies were selling "muscle metal" to hobbyists 30 years ago. Ford discovered it last year. That seems about right.
Likes For unterhausen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.