Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do I need to upgrade to di2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-07-21, 11:41 AM
Lolo03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hey what’s up everyone
im thinking of upgrade my bike to Di2. It currently has ultegra 8000 setup. I know I can keep the brakes.
my question is as follows.
is there an upgrade kit? Or would I have to piece it together? If I have to piece it together, what exactly do I need?
thank you
Old 10-07-21, 12:09 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Every bike is diff so you are going to have to measure each wire. I used the discount OEM packages but the supply chain has changed. That and a 1/4" drill bit. I have retrofitted two bikes and it was money well spent.
Old 10-07-21, 12:20 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
The first kit on this list is likely what you need:

Texas Cyclesport Shimano Ultegra R8050 Rim Di2 Groups-Upgrade Kits

I.e., shifters, front and rear derailleur, battery, cables, junction box. I personally don't think it's cost effective to upgrade to Di2, but that's just me.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 10-07-21, 12:21 PM
Lolo03

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Every bike is diff so you are going to have to measure each wire. I used the discount OEM packages but the supply chain has changed. That and a 1/4" drill bit. I have retrofitted two bikes and it was money well spent.
its a s-works sl6 tarmac.
Do you have a parts list?
Old 10-07-21, 12:22 PM
Lolo03

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
The first kit on this list is likely what you need:

Texas Cyclesport Shimano Ultegra R8050 Rim Di2 Groups-Upgrade Kits

I.e., shifters, front and rear derailleur, battery, cables, junction box. I personally don't think it's cost effective to upgrade to Di2, but that's just me.
why do you feel it’s not cost effective?
Old 10-07-21, 01:04 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolo03
why do you feel it’s not cost effective?
Unless you have somewhere to put the replaced Ultegra groupset it's basically a sunk cost. An expensive sunk cost as Ultegra isn't cheap.
Old 10-07-21, 01:07 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
its a s-works sl6 tarmac.
Do you have a parts list?
That's what I'm rockin. Google "Di2 upgrade parts list". Lot's of info. I did the whole DA thing inc brakes/cranks for $2500 a couple of years ago PBK but things have changed.
Old 10-07-21, 01:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
I have Ultegra Di2 also. And though I like it, I don't think it enough bang for the buck spent just to swap from the equivalent cable pulled stuff you already have.

IMO, my 105 5800 group on my old bike was a more responsive shifting group. Shifting wise I actually miss it. Especially when it comes time to shift off the big ring. It just doesn't happen as fast as I'd like it to and it messes up my cadence briefly. I've even gone in with eTube and set it to shift as fast as is possible and when it drops to the smaller ring.

Though all in all, I like electronic shifting and it will likely be on the next bike I get as well. Several things lead me to favor it.
  • Once it's set, it's set. It doesn't come out of adjustment unless you bang up the DR. With cable pulled, I was having to "tune" it up at least once a year to keep everything shifting perfectly.
  • Wires and hydraulic lines lend themselves better to running through the frame. So you can have a clean look easier on your bike. It's also easier to keep clean. I now just wipe my bike off with a moist towelette after a ride. Before I ignored cleaning my bike because of the cables being in the way.
  • I can get info on my Garmin as to what gears I'm in and my Di2 battery charge and a few other gee-whiz numbers. But you have to get the additional wi-fi option. Maybe the 12 speed stuff has that included.

And Di2 won't make you faster.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-07-21 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-07-21, 01:49 PM
Lolo03

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I have Ultegra Di2 also. And though I like it, I don't think it enough bang for the buck spent just to swap from the equivalent cable pulled stuff you already have.

IMO, my 105 5800 group on my old bike was a more responsive shifting group. Shifting wise I actually miss it. Especially when it comes time to shift off the big ring. It just doesn't happen as fast as I'd like it to and it messes up my cadence briefly. I've even gone in with eTube and set it to shift as fast as is possible and when it drops to the smaller ring.

Though all in all, I like electronic shifting and it will likely be on the next bike I get as well. Several things lead me to favor it.
  • Once it's set, it's set. It doesn't come out of adjustment unless you bang up the DR. With cable pulled, I was having to "tune" it up at least once a year to keep everything shifting perfectly.
  • Wires and hydraulic lines lend themselves better to running through the frame. So you can have a clean look easier on your bike. It's also easier to keep clean. I now just wipe my bike off with a moist towelette after a ride. Before I ignored cleaning my bike because of the cables being in the way.
  • I can get info on my Garmin as to what gears I'm in and my Di2 battery charge and a few other gee-whiz numbers. But you have to get the additional wi-fi option. Maybe the 12 speed stuff has that included.

I appreciate the honest feedback.
my other bike has Di2 on it. My favorite feature of it is the set it and pretty much forget it. Not much tweaking afterwards.
Likes For Lolo03:
Old 10-07-21, 02:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Unless you have somewhere to put the replaced Ultegra groupset it's basically a sunk cost. An expensive sunk cost as Ultegra isn't cheap.
You have to take the glass half full view.. I was looking at eg. Cervelo Caledonias on Excel's website. The Ultegra Di2 edition seems pretty much identical to the non Di2 Ultegra version. Cost difference is $1500. An upgrade kit for $1200 doesn't seem bad in that light, as you can probably sell your little bits that you're swapping out for something. OTOH, it is a sunk cost if you built up the bike yourself and you would have been better off just getting Di2 from the get-go.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-07-21, 02:44 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
IF one can find an Ultegra Di2 upgrade kit, with the supply issues for parts, one would have no problem selling the 'leftovers'.
One of the main reasons I went with Di2 when building my current bike is because I couldn't find an Ultegra group set, and ended up getting the crankset and brakes individually. When it came to finding derailleurs, there were no front derailleurs to be found. Every site I searched had the dreaded BACKORDER next to them. I really didn't want to go Di2, but now that I have, I'm happy it turned out that way.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-07-21, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

Not everyone is worried about speed.
Old 10-07-21, 04:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Not everyone is worried about speed.
Not everyone is interested in any of the other things I mentioned either. So why focus on just the speed part of my comment?
Old 10-07-21, 05:18 PM
Lolo03

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You have to take the glass half full view.. I was looking at eg. Cervelo Caledonias on Excel's website. The Ultegra Di2 edition seems pretty much identical to the non Di2 Ultegra version. Cost difference is $1500. An upgrade kit for $1200 doesn't seem bad in that light, as you can probably sell your little bits that you're swapping out for something. OTOH, it is a sunk cost if you built up the bike yourself and you would have been better off just getting Di2 from the get-go.
I bought the bike with the ultegra components.
yeah I could always sell the other parts.
Old 10-07-21, 05:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Ok, wasn't sure. Specialized today, doesn't seem to offer an S-Works SL6 in anything less than DA Di2.
Old 10-07-21, 06:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Before you begin you will need $1000-$1200.
Old 10-07-21, 06:30 PM
Lolo03

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Before you begin you will need $1000-$1200.
yeah I’m seeing that. I’m just brainstorming
Likes For Lolo03:
Old 10-08-21, 11:20 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
You really gotta want that project, not the result, but the project itself. About a bazillion (someone will check that) posts around here from folks in the midst of a conversion with some head-scratcher problem that's blocking their progress. I do love Di2, so I get the vision, but unless that bike is the perfect fit and a frame you want to ride forever, I'd be looking to swap into a new ride instead of risking a "three times longer" project. Unless the project itself is part of the goal here.
Old 10-08-21, 12:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
You can re-use the Ultegra crank and b-bracket. And assuming you stay with rim brakes, you can use those. That means you need:
- Shifters
- F derailer
- R derailer
- Battery
- A junction
- B junction
- the BT transceiver if you want (useful)
- 6 - 7 E- tube cables

About $1100.

My 4 year old Di2 bike shifts much better than my 2 year old 105 bike and has needed no maintenance. I liked Di2 so much I put a 1X XT group on my mt. bike where I like it even better. Was it worh the $900 I paid when I got it on sale - Yes, it's a good system, I would not get a new carbon road bike without Di2.

EDIT: Not sure if ANY of this stuff is available......

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-08-21 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-21, 01:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
IMO, my 105 5800 group on my old bike was a more responsive shifting group. Shifting wise I actually miss it. Especially when it comes time to shift off the big ring.
I have this groupset on my [only] road bike. It works well but I did not know it works so well, because I have no basis for comparison.

Though all in all, I like electronic shifting and it will likely be on the next bike I get as well. ... And Di2 won't make you faster.
I am shopping for a second road bike and am debating between Ultegra and Ultegra Di2, with these conflicting thoughts: (1) The price differential seems better spent toward upgrade wheels; (2) I am intrigued by auto trim; (3) I prefer not to have rechargeable batteries on my bike. I am also surprised that mechanical Ultegra is heavier than Ultegra Di2; see example (Canyon Endurance, a candidate under consideration) below. I had thought a battery plus wires are heavier than a pair of derailleur cables.

Endurace CF SL 8 Disc | CANYON US

Endurace CF SL 8 Disc Di2 | CANYON US

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 10-08-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-08-21, 02:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have this groupset on my [only] road bike. It works well but I did not know it works so well, because I have no basis for comparison.
Yeah, surprised me to. I've heard some that claim their 105 5800 shifted much better than the version of 105 that replaced it that they also had experience with.

However, for each of us that had a great experience with it, there are probably those that had a lousy experience. A lot probably depends on the bike it was put on and how well it all lined up and was adjusted. I kept mine borderline perfect. It completed shifts up or down virtually as fast as I could push the levers.

However don't let that dissuade you from Di2 or even cable pulled Ultegra with hydraulic brakes. Ultegra is lighter than 105 by quite a bit.

And with Di2, I really like the full syncro shifting. I never have to worry or remember whether I have to shift the front too or not. And if you have the d-fly unit, you get a message at the top of your Garmin that lets you know the next shift will be a chainring shift.
Old 10-08-21, 03:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Yeah, surprised me to. I've heard some that claim their 105 5800 shifted much better than the version of 105 that replaced it that they also had experience with.

However, for each of us that had a great experience with it, there are probably those that had a lousy experience. A lot probably depends on the bike it was put on and how well it all lined up and was adjusted. I kept mine borderline perfect. It completed shifts up or down virtually as fast as I could push the levers.
I can see why the newer R7000 version of the 105 rear derailleur would not function as well as the prior 5800 version on certain frames due to the location of the barrel adjuster. For example, on my Synapse, the rear derailleur cable exits a port at the end of right chain stay and makes a big U turn to loop into the RD-5800, whereas the cable path from the exit port to a RD-R7000 (or RD-R8000) would form a smaller quarter circle, which maybe too tight for a cable-pulled rear derailleur.

However don't let that dissuade you from Di2 or even cable pulled Ultegra with hydraulic brakes. Ultegra is lighter than 105 by quite a bit.
True, but the Synapse is sufficiently upgraded for a rim brake bike; if only I can find an Ultegra 6800 SS rear derailleur!

And with Di2, I really like the full syncro shifting. I never have to worry or remember whether I have to shift the front too or not. And if you have the d-fly unit, you get a message at the top of your Garmin that lets you know the next shift will be a chainring shift.
I don't use a Garmin (or any bike computer unit), but I see that the D-Fly also has an iPhone app.
Old 10-08-21, 04:10 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Despite not thinking it's a good value as an upgrade, Di2 is pretty cool. Unnecessary, but pretty cool. Once you get it adjusted properly it'll take approximately one ride for you to think it's meeting (perhaps exceeding) your expectations and that regardless of its cost at least it does what it's supposed to.
Likes For guachi: