Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Older bike vs Newer

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Older bike vs Newer

Old 10-05-21, 09:57 AM
thewills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Older bike vs Newer

Hi Everyone.

I am starting to get into Triathlons and its time that I purchased a dedicated bike. I would like to pick up a used bike, but am having a hard time finding one that fits my size (6'2).

Either way a bike popped up (2012 Cervelo RS) good shape, they are asking $1,700 CDN.

I am wondering is it worth it to pick something like this up, or just wait until something newer comes around. Would I really be at a disadvantage with what will be a 10 year old bike, or would something newer - more entry level (budget is only around $2500 CDN) be the way to go?

Thanks
Old 10-05-21, 10:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Questions first:

1. What kind of triathlon? Draft legal UTI? Non draft legal? Long course (70.3 or 140.6)?
2. Ever had a bike fit?

Comments next:

1. That bike ain't nowhere near worth that. Don't even bother.
2. At that price point, you should be able in a road bike to be able to get something pretty modern and carbon in the 105/Ultegra 11 speed kind of equipment if you look. Like a model year 2015 or so. Then still have money for clip ons.
3. In tri, other stuff costs too that makes a difference worth budgeting for: bike fit, race tires, TT helmet, good fitting triathlon suit
4. If you're really getting into tri and it is not draft legal, a tri bike is the way to go. It's built around both the speed, and often the hydration/nutrition and storage needs of a triathlete. Bike racers can't legally carry bike integrated storage for hydration or tools or nutrition. Triathletes can. And having the ergonomics of a tri bike really helps you both be faster in a tri, and also enjoy the event more. Tri bike is always the answer if it is not draft legal.

See if you can get a used Shiv with the hydration or a used Cervelo P2 with Shimano 105 on it or something.
Old 10-06-21, 02:35 PM
thewills

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Questions first:

1. What kind of triathlon? Draft legal UTI? Non draft legal? Long course (70.3 or 140.6)?

2. Ever had a bike fit?

Comments next:

1. That bike ain't nowhere near worth that. Don't even bother.

2. At that price point, you should be able in a road bike to be able to get something pretty modern and carbon in the 105/Ultegra 11 speed kind of equipment if you look. Like a model year 2015 or so. Then still have money for clip ons.

3. In tri, other stuff costs too that makes a difference worth budgeting for: bike fit, race tires, TT helmet, good fitting triathlon suit

4. If you're really getting into tri and it is not draft legal, a tri bike is the way to go. It's built around both the speed, and often the hydration/nutrition and storage needs of a triathlete. Bike racers can't legally carry bike integrated storage for hydration or tools or nutrition. Triathletes can. And having the ergonomics of a tri bike really helps you both be faster in a tri, and also enjoy the event more. Tri bike is always the answer if it is not draft legal.

See if you can get a used Shiv with the hydration or a used Cervelo P2 with Shimano 105 on it or something.

Thanks for the heads up. I am leaning towards a more of a road / aero bike instead of a Tri bike. I probably will want to join some riding club to improve because I can run and swim fairly well, but I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years. I guess around here the riding clubs from what I understand kinda frown upon people showing up on tri bikes.

Really hard right now finding anything out there, been keeping an eye out for the past couple weeks and that one I posted about was the only carbon bike in a large frame I have come across for around the 2k price mark.
Likes For thewills:
Old 10-10-21, 06:13 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2022 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by thewills
Thanks for the heads up. I am leaning towards a more of a road / aero bike instead of a Tri bike. I probably will want to join some riding club to improve because I can run and swim fairly well, but I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years. I guess around here the riding clubs from what I understand kinda frown upon people showing up on tri bikes.

Really hard right now finding anything out there, been keeping an eye out for the past couple weeks and that one I posted about was the only carbon bike in a large frame I have come across for around the 2k price mark.
If you haven't looked yet, try the Pros closet for used bikes. They have just about everything you could be looking for.