Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could You Spare Some Social Change?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Could You Spare Some Social Change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 09:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Guy yells vulgarities at cyclist that asks him to move and then ties it into how cyclists hate homeless people. Tonight at 10.

What a dumb op-ed.
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-11-21, 10:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Maybe instead of standing around blocking MUPs they should get a job. It seems every business is hiring these days.
Old 10-11-21, 10:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Guy yells vulgarities at cyclist that asks him to move and then ties it into how cyclists hate homeless people.
That's the part I liked, "get out of the way" "why do you hate the homeless, you probably eat kittens for breakfast?"
"Spandex clad" is code for a lot of things, it's not appropriate language in any situation.
Old 10-11-21, 10:36 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
"Unhoused". Makes me cringe, that one.
I work in downtown Berkeley and am literally surrounded by the HOMELESS problem for 9 waking hours every workday. It is grim. These people are suffering and many have problems that are not ever going to be fixed.
That said, calling them "houseless" is an insult to their condition. Some of these people have been victimized since before they could walk or talk.
They are indeed HOMELESS in many ways.
I worked with Houstons Homeless for 4 Years.

Most have Brain Damage.

Old 10-11-21, 10:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Maybe instead of standing around blocking MUPs they should get a job. It seems every business is hiring these days.
In the past I have always been a proponent that working solves the issue. But it really doesn’t for someone who is unskilled, aging, no place to live, and with no mode of transportation.

I’m guessing that it would take $40k-$50k to live in LA, or many urban/suburban areas in California. I don’t imagine there are a lot of businesses are willing to give those wages to someone lacking skills and possibly with any number of extenuating issues.

It is why multiple jobs, or side gigs, have become the norm. If you’re young and work for a company that offers educational programs and add a gig job, you have a chance. If you’re over 40, or 50, and on the street I would think it would be nearly impossible.

John
Old 10-11-21, 10:50 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
In the past I have always been a proponent that working solves the issue. But it really doesn’t for someone who is unskilled, aging, no place to live, and with no mode of transportation.

I’m guessing that it would take $40k-$50k to live in LA, or many urban/suburban areas in California. I don’t imagine there are a lot of businesses are willing to give those wages to someone lacking skills and possibly with any number of extenuating issues.

It is why multiple jobs, or side gigs, have become the norm. If you’re young and work for a company that offers educational programs and add a gig job, you have a chance. If you’re over 40, or 50, and on the street I would think it would be nearly impossible.

John
Money will NOT Help or Cure Brain Damage.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-11-21, 10:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Let's not let this devolve into a political discussion about homelessness, please.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-11-21, 11:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A couple of the people that were standing on the path do have a job- they were working when they were talking with the homeless person who lost their significant other.
It was a waste of an article, but you should at least read it to comment.
Old 10-11-21, 11:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Methinks you just moved the goalposts, and what youthinks is a blatant exhibit of cognitive dissonance.
You keep making assumptions based on one side of the story.
Good and predictable stuff
Old 10-11-21, 11:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by BobbyG
How would the situation be different if the "unhoused" person were an injured cyclist and the outreach worker were an Emergency Medical Tech. We can't know if the cyclist would have behaved differently, but would you treat the two different scenarios differently as a passing cyclist?
While everyone on an MUP shares an obligation for the safety and welfare of others, a greater responsibility and obligation is carried by those who carry greater velocity.
I bet the cyclist wouldnt have told the group standing around to get off the path if it were an injured cyclist and 2 EMTs. That is because it is an obviously different scenario and social behavior has taught us to slow down and dont tell medical events to move aside.
When people are just standing there, that is clearly different from a visible medical event.

Also, telling the people to move is helping to keep everyone involved safe. If people dont know they are in an unsafe position, then telling them will potentially keep them and others safe(so nobody collides into them).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-11-21, 11:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I bet the cyclist wouldnt have told the group standing around to get off the path if it were an injured cyclist and 2 EMTs. That is because it is an obviously different scenario and social behavior has taught us to slow down and dont tell medical events to move aside.
When people are just standing there, that is clearly different from a visible medical event.

Also, telling the people to move is helping to keep everyone involved safe. If people dont know they are in an unsafe position, then telling them will potentially keep them and others safe(so nobody collides into them).
Agreed, pointing out to people that they are in harm's way is a good thing... and hopefully done politely.
Old 10-11-21, 11:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Let's not let this devolve into a political discussion about homelessness, please.
I agree with not discussing politics.

John
Old 10-11-21, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have done so many times. "Please move off the trail when you stop." Things like that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-11-21, 03:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
What I find most interesting is how many people are so triggered by the authors initial description of the interaction that they completely missed the point of the rest of article…. if they even bothered to read it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-11-21, 06:18 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What I find most interesting is how many people are so triggered by the authors initial description of the interaction that they completely missed the point of the rest of article…. if they even bothered to read it.
The rest of the article piles on the euphemisms and platitudes about the homeless and poor that serve only as a foil to highlight the virtue of the author. Because in the authors mind he is the only one who cares about social problems, not you, you horrible uncaring spandex-clad-oat-milk-drinking-Lance-wannabe. How could a person like you, the cyclist, care about anything except yourself? This is what actually triggered me, not the interaction itself, but the sanctimonious response of the author.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 10-11-21, 07:32 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Wow, the lack of humanity on the part of some has greatly populated my ignore list. Thanks!
Old 10-11-21, 07:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Wow, the lack of humanity on the part of some has greatly populated my ignore list. Thanks!
You expected different responses?

And this comment strongly suggests you were making political commentary. As such, you asked for it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-11-21, 08:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Understandable, given that was the only part of all this related to cycling.
Old 10-11-21, 09:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
[QUOTE=mstateglfr;22265614]3 days ago on Friday I loudly said 'MOVE' to a group of 3 women in athleisure who were standing on the right side of a MUP. I loathe MUPs and use them very sparingly, but this was with one of my kids and the MUP is the only realistic way for us to ride from where we started to halfway thru the ride. It is busy with runners, cyclists, walkers, families, etc. We had to come to a complete stop behind them due to cyclists coming the other way.
It was a very minor incident in the grand scheme of things and I didnt even think about it again until just now, but at the same time it was completely absurd and indefensible./[QUOTE]

When I read the last sentence above, I thought that you saw your action of yelling and startling the woman over something so inconsequential as indefensible. Then I read the next sentence.

The only occasion I can think of to yell at people to ‘move’ would be in a situation like people blocking a hall in a burning building or other life and death situ. We come from different worlds.

Old 10-11-21, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by rsbob
[

When I read the last sentence above, I thought that you saw your action of yelling and startling the woman over something so inconsequential as indefensible. Then I read the next sentence.

The only occasion I can think of to yell at people to ‘move’ would be in a situation like people blocking a hall in a burning building or other life and death situ. We come from different worlds.
I told people who were standing obliviously on a path that is used by runners and cyclists to move.
As we approached I told my daughter to slow down instead of pass because of oncoming cyclists. I then told her to slow more. I then said stop when we were about 10' from them. We then stood there for a second before I said 'yo- move!' and they all jumped in surprise that they were in the way. Others were waiting behind us.

Would you really have sat there in silence?
If I had a different bike I would have dinged my bell, if that is somehow more acceptable to you.
​We don't come from different worlds, we just handle potentially dangerous situations differently.
Old 10-11-21, 09:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

It's awful that people needed to go to a homeless area by a bridge to talk to a person about how their significant other had died.

Perhaps the author is clouded in their recollection of the incident and the cyclist was actually friendly in the first interaction, but the author interpreted it negatively.
Perhaps the cyclist is already doing so much for the community because they are the founder of a non-profit which provides support to single mom teens for childcare, education, and job resources.

The op-ed is being ripped on because it isnt good. It acknowledges they were in the wrong place and then makes assumptions about the cyclist.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-11-21, 09:46 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Livin' it up at the hotel California...
Old 10-12-21, 01:28 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I put people on ignore when they make personal insults or smart ass comments or troll me because I got tired of drama. I don't put anyone on ignore if they don't think exactly like me. That would be abut half the people here.
Old 10-12-21, 03:14 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Why announce it?
Do you seriously think anyone cares about your ignore list darling?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-12-21, 09:26 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I agree with not discussing politics.

John
Medical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.