Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could You Spare Some Social Change?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Could You Spare Some Social Change?

Old 10-12-21, 09:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Medical
Not sure what that response means, but if it is what I think, these days it is just as polarizing.

John
Old 10-12-21, 08:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The author and whatever advocacy group he purports to work for are quite obviously doing a terrible job.
Why is it that the people that seem to care the most are usually the ones least suited for the task?
Seems that way sometimes. But I know folks who volunteer for various civic organizations, charities, etc., and most folks people would never know unless they're friends. They don't post about it on social media or write passive-aggressive self-serving boo-hoos on news sites, like the author of the linked piece. (And, TBH, some of my friends on social media who post similar self-serving stuff, which I try to ignore.)

To paraphrase the Joker in The Dark Knight, the real core of civic volunteers just do things.

A few years ago I posted a few screen grabs from my bike-mounted video camera of a ride through the local "homeless district." I've done street photography for many years but rarely of "the homeless." Besides being a trite cliche among experienced street and documentary photographers, I'd rather talk with folks than photograph them, at least upon our first meetings. But in this case I was intrigued by the possibilities for screen shots from an action cam video. None of the faces were recognizable so I wasn't concerned about privacy issues (and in the US photos in public spaces aren't violations of privacy).

Anyway, without my asking, a few friends spontaneously donated to the local food bank based on my photos. They're also photographers and fans of street photography and something about those unplanned images resonated with them.

I've found most folks engaged in civic and charitable issues are like that. They just do it.
Old 10-12-21, 08:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have done so many times. "Please move off the trail when you stop." Things like that.
Same. Not often, but occasionally. Including a few weeks ago on a narrow, winding, tree-covered trail with many blind curves. A couple of fellows stopped alongside the trail, but left their skateboards on the paved path. I worried that another cyclist or pedestrian might trip over their boards -- some of the local residents who use that trail are elderly, on mobility devices.

As I passed I said "Please move your boards off the trail, thanks," in the most neutral voice I could muster considering I was huffing and puffing a bit.

I think one of them said "You're not my dad."

But he moved the skateboards.

I forgot to write about it on Fakebroke, Tweety and IG, or my local paper. So I'm making up for it here. Now I need a shoulder massage.
Old 10-12-21, 10:05 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
We had a problem of homeless on the bike path. The problem is they start encroaching, and over time it gets worse and worse, you end up riding through the grass to get around their shopping carts, busted up bikes, and dogs. The people living there were exploiting a difference in administration between city and federal property. Eventually the city got an agreement with the feds and moved them out.

scott s.
Old 10-12-21, 11:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
When working the skids actual reality can hit ya hard.
Better to not get too hardened by its tempering tests.
Those fleeting periods of hopelessness are not only found in the homeless.

The big question is... Refugee or Deserter?
Old 10-13-21, 12:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Wow, the lack of humanity on the part of some has greatly populated my ignore list. Thanks!
Add me.

I can't comment on such a political post and garbage article without being political.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-14-21, 12:13 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Wow, the lack of humanity on the part of some has greatly populated my ignore list. Thanks!
Mr. Polansky lost me when he said "People shouldn't be allowed to suffer on the streets while the wealthiest society in history swirls around them." I have some friends who in many ways are like the couple for whom Mr. Polansky is so concerned. They live in a tent under a blue plastic tarp in the forest. They are there because they want to be there.

Both are schizophrenic. But they don't self medicate with alcohol, meth, or opiates. They are both well past 80, and they have lived in the woods for at least 30 years. Both worked for many years and they have pensions, Social Security and Medicare. They just want to live in the woods, cook with a solar oven, and be left alone. If they want to get in touch, they have a way to send messages to people. If people want to get in touch with them, they have a place to leave a message.

In my years as a volunteer firefighter / medic I have dealt with several homeless people, and a few more schizophrenic / bipolar people, and people with serious PTSD who lived in a house. Even when they live in a house, they are ... different. They can be very difficult to deal with, even when their life is at risk. We helped them the best we could, but really it was just window dressing.

The problem is that for many of the homeless, the only way to stop them from "suffer(ing) on the streets" is to incarcerate them. Mental institution or jail. Makes no difference to them. Portland Oregon has a shelter in the never used Wapato Jail that is a first rate facility, but it requires clean and sober so it can stay a first rate facility. The most recent report I have read about it is that it is 75% full. Maybe Misters Polansky and Gorman can bunk a few of the not clean or sober folks in their houses? A Navy shipboard bunk room can sleep 6 in an 8 X 8.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-14-21, 12:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I know the section of MUP the author is talking about. I've ridden it multiple times. Although it is officially known as the LA River Bike Trail, it is definitely a MUP that gets a wide variety of users at a wide variety of speeds and predictability - fast cyclists, slow cyclists, kid cyclists, runners, walkers, leashed dogs, unleashed dogs, horses, etc. etc. As a faster cyclist, needing to dodge, weave, and slow down are expected maneuvers on this stretch of trail.

Maybe the cyclist was an a-hole. Maybe the author embellished the encounter just a little for dramatic effect and to defend his own a-hole behavior.
Old 10-14-21, 03:17 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
How would the situation be different if the "unhoused" person were an injured cyclist and the outreach worker were an Emergency Medical Tech. We can't know if the cyclist would have behaved differently, but would you treat the two different scenarios differently as a passing cyclist?
The situations are very different. First, when fire, police, or EMS close a road they are following established rules, and when they are closing the road they are doing so because the life or health of one or more people are at risk, not because we are mentally ill and unable to have due regard for the conventions of society.

And you would be amazed at how often people scream at firefighters and EMTs when they close a road. But screaming at either a schizophrenic person or an EMT doesn't make them open the roadway one second sooner.
Old 10-14-21, 10:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Mr. Polansky lost me when he said "People shouldn't be allowed to suffer on the streets while the wealthiest society in history swirls around them." I have some friends who in many ways are like the couple for whom Mr. Polansky is so concerned. They live in a tent under a blue plastic tarp in the forest. They are there because they want to be there.

Both are schizophrenic. But they don't self medicate with alcohol, meth, or opiates. They are both well past 80, and they have lived in the woods for at least 30 years. Both worked for many years and they have pensions, Social Security and Medicare. They just want to live in the woods, cook with a solar oven, and be left alone. If they want to get in touch, they have a way to send messages to people. If people want to get in touch with them, they have a place to leave a message.

In my years as a volunteer firefighter / medic I have dealt with several homeless people, and a few more schizophrenic / bipolar people, and people with serious PTSD who lived in a house. Even when they live in a house, they are ... different. They can be very difficult to deal with, even when their life is at risk. We helped them the best we could, but really it was just window dressing.

The problem is that for many of the homeless, the only way to stop them from "suffer(ing) on the streets" is to incarcerate them. Mental institution or jail. Makes no difference to them. Portland Oregon has a shelter in the never used Wapato Jail that is a first rate facility, but it requires clean and sober so it can stay a first rate facility. The most recent report I have read about it is that it is 75% full. Maybe Misters Polansky and Gorman can bunk a few of the not clean or sober folks in their houses? A Navy shipboard bunk room can sleep 6 in an 8 X 8.
Yup. I've met a few homeless folks with mental illnesses, usually schizophrenia, and some ex-cons, in the parks and even in the middle of nowhere during bike rides. I'll often stop, chat, see if they need anything. Mostly I listen to their stories.

A common theme is they dislike the noisy, aggressive vibe of most homeless shelters and missions. I don't blame them. I've seen a few shelters and wouldn't want to stay there either unless the weather was so bad I'd die outdoors.

One of my former neighbors is a young man in his 30s with schizophrenia and diabetes, both controlled with medication. I learned only a few days ago he'd been evicted because the apartment lease was in his mom's name only, and she's now in a nursing home. He'd been her caregiver, but they hadn't made any arrangements for his care after she was gone.

It's very difficult to help him, or get him to help himself. He's usually a very easy going guy, doesn't cause problems for anyone. But he gets stressed out and confused very easily and can seem emotionally upset and angry. He has a hard time following instructions or coping with any technology. He doesn't have a phone, computer, nothing.

He had a case worker at the local mental health agency, but that person left and it's unclear now whether there's a replacement. The fellow doesn't want to live in a group home, which has been offered. I'm not really sure what will become of him. Next time I see him I'll try to encourage him to visit the mental health agency because they should have access to info for housing, etc. He should be eligible for SSI as well, which would cover apartment rent after discounts provided by subsidies. If I catch him in the right mood and go with him, he and his case worker might allow me to encourage or guide him through the process.

But for folks with those kinds of mental health and physical health difficulties, it's always going to be a challenge. I can see why some folks prefer to skip the bureaucracy and make do on their own. Which is why relatively warmer places in California and Florida have such large homeless populations. Texas usually has a reasonably tolerable climate, but the February 2021 deep freeze killed a few folks who were outdoors, or in substandard housing for the week we were without power.
Likes For canklecat: